PDA

View Full Version : AZ announcers

bludupree
06-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Anyone watch the Arizona feed on mlb tv tonight? I gotta say I liked what the Arizona announcers were saying about Thomas. They said he was a great guy and over the years he got pushed into saying some things he wouldn't normally say because of the shifty media in Chicago. It was interesting to hear an outside perspective. I didn't catch the beginning of the game so I'm not sure who they are but I like them. The also said a lot of good things about the rest of our team. It's too bad we are getting the crap kicked out of us.

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Anyone watch the Arizona feed on mlb tv tonight? I gotta say I liked what the Arizona announcers were saying about Thomas. They said he was a great guy and over the years he got pushed into saying some things he wouldn't normally say because of the shifty media in Chicago. It was interesting to hear an outside perspective. I didn't catch the beginning of the game so I'm not sure who they are but I like them. The also said a lot of good things about the rest of our team. It's too bad we are getting the crap kicked out of us.

Thom Brennaman and Mark Grace. But I'm not listening to them so I cant be sure.

21whitesoxway
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
i live in AZ and am watchin on FSN here and I can't stand Gracey or this other moron, over the course of the game they have pissed me off more n more.

Cubbiesuck13
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I am loving these guys. They know about the SOX, their team and the rest of the league. Also very fair to the SOX about the team, fans and stadium. Check the gameday thread to read what some posters wrote about them.

I want Mags back
06-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Thom Brennaman and Mark Grace. But I'm not listening to them so I cant be sure.

I thought Grace was so loyal to the cubs and all

Rocklive99
06-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes it's them 2, and they speak the truth!

Brennamen and the Rangers announcer have usually given Sox props, from what I've heard from Extra Innings <3

michned
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
i live in AZ and am watchin on FSN here and I can't stand Gracey or this other moron, over the course of the game they have pissed me off more n more.

But Thom and Gracie are miles ahead of their radio team, Greg Shult and Ken Phelps. Phelps is ok I guess, and he is a Seinfeld pop culture icon, but Shult is truly horrible, IMHO. What a letdown it was last year to have to listen to him call Randy Johnson's perfect game.

Last year on days when Gracie had other commitments, Joe Garagiola would fill in, which was a totally cool blast from the past.

Cubbiesuck13
06-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Grace just made a joke about the Flubs choke job in the playoffs. I didn't hear the entire comment but something about leaving not taking a good pitcher on the roster for the playoffs when he pitched great for them down the stretch.

chisox06
06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I am loving these guys. They know about the SOX, their team and the rest of the league. Also very fair to the SOX about the team, fans and stadium. Check the gameday thread to read what some posters wrote about them.

couldn't agree more, I thought they did a great job. They talked about some Sox history, talked about Dick Allen at length, credited the Cell as a very nice under rated ball park, knew the sox very well even though they never see them, credited the crowd and the sox accomplishments so far this year. Did a very nice, objective and well done broadcast. If I was a D-backs fan, I would have no problem listening to these guys every game. Considering all the absoloute crap that is out there, these guys were a nice exception.

slavko
06-14-2005, 12:08 AM
They both left the Cubs under unpleasant circumstances not of their own doing. Figure it out.

chisox117
06-14-2005, 05:52 AM
"Mr. Cub" Grace and Brennaman are usually so intolerable, I was amazed that they did a nice job covering the Sox. The Dick Allen stories were great! Iím stuck with them for the rest of the series so I hope they donít get too annoying.

Shult is truly horrible, IMHO. What a letdown it was last year to have to listen to him call Randy Johnson's perfect game.
I couldn't agree with you more. Some of the Sox/Dbacks games that were on this spring were pure torture thanks to him. Especially bad was him killing time on the air during the rain delay in McCarthy's start against them.
:gulp:

michned
06-14-2005, 08:19 AM
"Mr. Cub" Grace and Brennaman are usually so intolerable, I was amazed that they did a nice job covering the Sox. The Dick Allen stories were great! Iím stuck with them for the rest of the series so I hope they donít get too annoying.

Shult is truly horrible, IMHO. What a letdown it was last year to have to listen to him call Randy Johnson's perfect game.

I couldn't agree with you more. Some of the Sox/Dbacks games that were on this spring were pure torture thanks to him. Especially bad was him killing time on the air during the rain delay in McCarthy's start against them.

Torture is a good word! And I feel really uncomfortable dissing somebody over what they do for a living, but Shult (or Shulte?) is just unlisteneable to me. And he uses "touch 'em all" for his home run call. How original!

But the organization must like him becasue he has been with the D'backs since Day 1.

TDog
06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
... I gotta say I liked what the Arizona announcers were saying about Thomas. They said he was a great guy and over the years he got pushed into saying some things he wouldn't normally say because of the shifty media in Chicago. ....

Both announcers have some experience in dealing with the Chicago media, of course.

Frank Thomas actually got the first hit in Bank One Ballpark, which opened with an exhibition game on a rainy early spring night in Phoenix. The Sox won 3-0. The Diamondbacks didn't score in any of the games I went to that first season.

AZChiSoxFan
06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
But Thom and Gracie are miles ahead of their radio team, Greg Shult and Ken Phelps. Phelps is ok I guess, and he is a Seinfeld pop culture icon, but Shult is truly horrible, IMHO. What a letdown it was last year to have to listen to him call Randy Johnson's perfect game.

Last year on days when Gracie had other commitments, Joe Garagiola would fill in, which was a totally cool blast from the past.

You like Garagiola and not Schulte???

Me: shaking head in disbelief.

Garagiola can go 2 or 3 innings at a time and never once comment on the game at hand. Then, Heaven forbid they show a player chewing tobacco! Joe will go on for 2 innings about the evils of tobacco. Finally, once he gets off that kick, he'll spend the next three innings recounting stories from the 1890's, or whenever it was he played. The closest thing to analysis you'll get from Joe is: "the D-backs really need a hit."

pinwheels3530
06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Anyone catch Graces call on Franks homerun, it was pretty sweat " and as the tradition goes here at Comiskey Park the FIREWORKS GO OFF!!!! ". You can see the highlights at whitesox,com video archive.

michned
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
You like Garagiola and not Schulte???

Me: shaking head in disbelief.

Garagiola can go 2 or 3 innings at a time and never once comment on the game at hand. Then, Heaven forbid they show a player chewing tobacco! Joe will go on for 2 innings about the evils of tobacco. Finally, once he gets off that kick, he'll spend the next three innings recounting stories from the 1890's, or whenever it was he played. The closest thing to analysis you'll get from Joe is: "the D-backs really need a hit."

Actually, that's what I like about the old school announcers. I'd rather listen to them spin old stories. Analysis is way overrated, IMHO. I like to catch Vin Scully on the Dodger radio broadcasts. It's just him with no sidekick. And he paints a picture so vivid it's almost like he's reading a book-on-tape.

TDog
06-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Actually, that's what I like about the old school announcers. I'd rather listen to them spin old stories. Analysis is way overrated, IMHO. ....

Analysis can be annoying, even when it considers both teams objectively. I was at a DBacks-Dodgers game a few years ago with some friends and was very into the game, guessing right at the managers' moves all night. A pitch after I said, "watch for the squeeze here," there followed a perfectly executed suicide squeeze. My friends considered it annoying, and they were right, really. If I am listening to a Cubs game on the radio (because there's no other game being played and there is the opponent to root for, after all), I don't need to hear Santo say, "if he throws a strike (to whichever Cub is hitting), it will wind up on Waveland."

Come to think of it, I don't need Santo to spin old stories, either.

AZChiSoxFan
06-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually, that's what I like about the old school announcers. I'd rather listen to them spin old stories. Analysis is way overrated, IMHO. I like to catch Vin Scully on the Dodger radio broadcasts. It's just him with no sidekick. And he paints a picture so vivid it's almost like he's reading a book-on-tape.

I love Scully, but what he does is totally different from what that other guy (won't even use his name in the same sentance as Scully's name) does.