PDA

View Full Version : What important people have you shared the Sox with??

Jurr
06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I've been a fan since 1982, the first time I could reasonably comprehend baseball. My dad used to take me to games, and as he coached me in baseball, he'd nurture my love of the Sox.

Sadly, my father has been diagnosed with late lung cancer, and he's not going to be with us Sox fans too much longer. It's sad, and it makes me hope and pray that the Sox can bring home a championship this year. His father never got to see the Sox win it all, either.

On a positive note, I will always remember the great times I had with him at the Sox games, as that was a big bond we have always shared. What close family members (living or not) do you share the bond of "Sox love" with? It's fun to think about how this trait is passed down through families, and how great it will be for everyone when the Sox win the series!

PAPChiSox729
06-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I've been a fan since 1982, the first time I could reasonably comprehend baseball. My dad used to take me to games, and as he coached me in baseball, he'd nurture my love of the Sox.

Sadly, my father has been diagnosed with late lung cancer, and he's not going to be with us Sox fans too much longer. It's sad, and it makes me hope and pray that the Sox can bring home a championship this year. His father never got to see the Sox win it all, either.

On a positive note, I will always remember the great times I had with him at the Sox games, as that was a big bond we have always shared. What close family members (living or not) do you share the bond of "Sox love" with? It's fun to think about how this trait is passed down through families, and how great it will be for everyone when the Sox win the series!

I really hope they pull it out, especially for your dad's sake. Hey, maybe he'll be around for a few more seasons, you never know... About your question, I guess I am the first link in what hopefully will be a long chain of future Sox fans. If you knew anything about my family, I logically really shouldn't be a huge baseball fan. Even if I was, I would most likely be a Cubs fan. Thankfully, something guided me to the South Side.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
My dad, but he passed away last year shorty after we watched the Sox face the Twins. Now I know absolutely no one who cheers for the sox with passion other than all of you people.

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 08:05 PM

First of all,I am very sorry to hear about your father.I hope for much strength and support to him,you and your family during these tough times.
I am the only sports fan in my immediate family and therefore don't share the baseball bond you speak of. As for relatives,I have an aunt and cousin who are Braves fans,but they live in Georgia and I don't see them too often.My wife and I don't plan on having any children. But rest assured-if anything changes and we do have some,we will raise them up to be Sox fanatics and I will cherish the opportunity to share that special bond with them.

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 08:08 PM
About your question, I guess I am the first link in what hopefully will be a long chain of future Sox fans. If you knew anything about my family, I logically really shouldn't be a huge baseball fan. Even if I was, I would most likely be a Cubs fan. Thankfully, something guided me to the South Side.

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.:D:

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM

Our prayers are with you and your family as well.

My dad was never a diehard, but he took me to games at the old park. I remember vividly us driving there late one night back in 1991. He turned off the lights of our family van as we approached the ruins of Comiskey Park and descreatly pulled up along a temporary chain link fence. He pointed me to a small hole in the fence and said, "Allright son, go get us a brick." Before I could even get myself through the crevace, high beams surrounded me. I'm sure it wasn't the first attempt at salvaging a souvenir by a sox fan, and i'm sure it probably wasnt the last. Luckily, the officer let us go without consequense. I wish I could have gotten one of those bricks, though.

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 10:18 PM
First, our thoughts and prayers go out to your father.

I pretty much learned about the Sox from my grandfather, who told me all about Ed Walsh, Buck Weaver, Joe Jackson, etc. from the era when he was a teenager and young man. My dad wasn't a huge baseball fan, but he talked about guys like Luke Appling that he remembered.

I've passed my love of the Sox to my son who is now 25 and as diehard as they get.

BigEdWalsh
06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I lost my Dad to cancer about 16 years ago but have many fond memories of sharing our common love for the Sox. Though he never saw The Cell, I can't go to a game without thinking of great times with him at the old park.

Now I have passed on that love for the Sox to my son who's 16 and a WSI member as well. Though I'm divorced and my son lives about four states to the west we share almost every game via the computer and talk about it as the game progresses. He'll be here to visit in a few weeks and we will for sure be going to a couple of games. We both can hardly wait. After his visit I'm moving out to Utah to be with my family. I will never have lived so far from Chicago so that's going to be a new one for me. At least my son and I will be able to take in some Great Falls White Sox games when they play some games in Utah. I've never been to a minor league game of a White Sox affiliate so that'll be cool.
Most importantly, I'll be hooked up with the family again.:bandance: My son and I can actually sit and watch a game together.:D:

ChiSoxGirl
06-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I very briefly shared my Sox fandom with my grandpa (my mom's dad) back in 1989 and early on in 1990 before he passed away in June of that year.

Since then, my uncle who lives in San Diego and I have shared happiness & sadness (more sadness than not) over the Sox throughout the last 15 years. He's a judge and if the Sox have a day game, I'll occasionally get an e-mail from him while on the bench! :tongue: He's my go-to guy, so to speak, when it comes to White Sox baseball because whenever I need to be told to come back down to earth (in years other than this one), or when I just need to share my joy in a Sox winner, he's the one I'll call on my way home from the ballpark or e-mail as soon as I get home. He's funny- whenever I'd get optimistic about the team or a winning streak, he'd be the one telling me to come back down to earth because he's been a Sox fan for over 40 years and has been through this before. "They'll just break your heart in the end," he'll say. Even "Mr. Pessimism," who was at the Friday & Sunday games in San Diego, has said to me on more than one occasion this season, "maybe THIS is the year," including last night! :bandance: And if he's saying that, it just might be true!

ND_Sox_Fan
06-13-2005, 11:56 PM
My grandfather was born in the Evanston area and revolted against his Cub fan brothers and sisters. He was a huge baseball man and a diehard Sox fan. He passed away two years ago, but I will always remember watching countless games with him in his back room.

He passed his love on to my father and to myself along with my two brothers.

mike squires
06-13-2005, 11:57 PM
You are lucky, your Dad still has the passion for the Sox. My Dad took me to a few games at the ol yard and he was a big Sox fan growing up. Somewhere along the way he just lost the passion for it. He'll watch it and he's watching more this year because they are winning but other than fishing or hunting and recently he's taken up bird watching in the back yard but other than that he doesn't have any passion for anything. I love my Dad and all but when I'm his age I want to be traveling, going to games, still working out and jogging, playing my guitar, reading my magazines on the toliet...know what I mean. When he passes away I don't want to have any bad feelings with him but it's just not the same as it used to be. During the Texas series my brother was home from Florida visiting and we had it all planned out that the three of us were going to the game. The morning of I'm in the bathroom getting ready and he opens the stairway door and yelled up that he wasn't going. We were pretty hurt and dissapointed.

Our thoughts are with you and your Dad.

soxfan43
06-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I am really the only big sports fan in my family, especially baseball. I grew up on the North side but my Dad always took me to more sox games than cubs games. So once I was old enough to fully comprehend baseball, I became a die hard sox fan. No one in my family understands my obsession but hopefully I'll be the first in a long line of Sox fans in my future family.

DumpJerry
06-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey guys, I can relate to these postings. My dad took me to my first Sox game in the early 70's before I was 10 years old. Ed Hermann hit one out and my dad did not tell me ahead of time about the fireworks......

I took my to the Sox/Tribe game last year the day after Father's Day. He did not get to the ballpark after that game last year. I lost him in November, so even before KW made the Great Deals this winter, I dedicated this season to the guy who took me to my first Sox game and whom I took to his last one.....:smile:

I think this season is for all the departed Sox fans who never experienced a WS victory on the South Side (the list is too long for all the servers in the world, not to mention WSI's!).

Uncle_Patrick
06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
My grandmother was and remains a life-long Sox fan (92 years!) and remains very proud of her South Side heritage (she grew up on the South Side of Chicago and then raised a family in Riverdale) although she's lived in a retirement home on the North Side for the past 12 or 13 years. She still follows the Sox enough to know when they are winning and losing and still argues with Cubs fans at the retirement home over who is better.

My grandma's brother, who was very close to our family (he lived with my grandparents and their family until my mom was about 13 or 14, I think, and then when he got married, he moved down the street from my grandparents) was the one who helped foster my love for the White Sox. He took me to a bunch of games at old Comiskey. He gave my brother and I team posters of the 1982 White Sox (which in our room for years until my mother decided to tear them down) as well as our first Sox hats, and I think that was the starting for us becoming White Sox fans, even though, in 1982, at 5 years old (myself) and 3 1/2 years old (my brother) we had no concept of what being a White Sox fan growing up in the Northwest Suburbs would mean for us in the coming years. Anyway, my uncle was born in 1919 and died a few years back, so he sadly never got to see a White Sox World Series victory, but they did bury him with this Sox hat.

The other special person that I still get to share the Sox with is my wife. When I met her, she was sort of a Cubs fan. I say "sort of" because she didn't really know anything about the Cubs, but she came from a Cubs loving family and she thought some of the players were "hot". However, one trip to Comiskey Park changed that. Now, we try to go to a few games together each year (I end up going to more with friends) and I got her to go to Sox Fest a couple times. She's taking me tomorrow to the game night for my birthday.