PDA

View Full Version : Possible Sox All-Stars

soxfanreggie
06-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Sorry if this has already been started, but which Sox players do you think will make the all-star game? Looks like we won't get any starting fielders...haven't in a while. I could see MB, Garland, and Pods making the game. Maybe one more...maybe Iguchi at 2B or Hermie. However, we are a long way away from being the Yankees and Red Sox. It would be funny if the Yankees had six of seven "all stars" and were under .500.

downstairs
06-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Hopefully zero (I guess you have to send one).

I think the AS game is pretty much worthless, and I'd honestly much rather our players get the rest.

I always root to be forgotten during the AS hub-bub...

Jurr
06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Buehrle, Hermanson, and Garland. That will be it. Hermie may not even get an invite. Francona doesn't know how good Pods is, (Boston hasn't played us yet), so he won't make it. I'll bet the farm on Buehrle and Garland, though.

SoxSpeed22
06-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I'll bet the farm on Buehrle and Garland, though.And you'd be smart to do so. Contreras is havin' an underrated year as well as Pods. We'll get 2 maybe 3.

soxfan123
06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
I had a conversation with my friend the other day about this and I listed the ones deserving of an all star game as Garland, Buehrle, Contreras, Hernandez, Pods, Gooch, and Pierzynski. Of course a lot of these won't make it, but he said that only Garland and Buehrle would with a small chance of Pods making it. I think the one deserving of it--or, the more underrated player--is Pierzynski with his intense drive and clutch hitting. I think that it's ridiculous the Yanks will have twice as many as us with their record.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Buerhle and Garland.

buehrle4cy05
06-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Give me two AL second baseman that are having better years than Iguchi.
Just to name all the AL 2B that I can think of:

Bellhorn, Womack/Cano, Hudson, Brian Roberts, Lugo, Ronnie Belliard, Luis Rivas (injured), Gotay, Boone, Alfonso Soriano, Kennedy, Scutaro

If they take three 2B, Iguchi should make it. Should is the key word. Francona will have to do his homework to get Iguchi on the team.

Juice16
06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking Buehrle and Garland. Hermanson and El Duke are candidates but I'm not going to count on it. Lets just thank God that Joe Torre is not picking the all-star team this year and maybe we'll get some players who actually deserve to be there.

I want Mags back
06-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Buehrle, Hermanson, and Garland. That will be it. Hermie may not even get an invite. Francona doesn't know how good Pods is, (Boston hasn't played us yet), so he won't make it. I'll bet the farm on Buehrle and Garland, though.

But the world series managers dont pick any more, since torre took 7 yanks that one time. Its now a vote of players and coaches along him selig

The Wall
06-14-2005, 01:51 AM
AL All-star should look something like this..(numbers in the brackets)

1B: David Ortiz - Bos (70 hits/235 AB, 30 R, 16 HR, 50 RBI, 0 SB, 32 BB, .298 BA)
2B: Brian Roberts - Bal (79/219, 39, 11, 34, 13, 29, .361)
3B: Alex Rodriguez - NYY (74/229, 48, 19, 56, 6, 39, .323)
SS: Miguel Tejada - Bal (85/252, 44, 17, 51, 1, 16, .325)
LF: Garrett Anderson - LAA (74/230, 30, 7, 48, 0, 9, .322)
RF: Scott Podsednik - CWS (59/205, 36, 0, 14, 31, 24, .288)
CF: Johnny Damon - Bos (84/245, 44, 2, 35, 7, 23, .343)
C: Ivan Rodriguez - Det (62/215, 32, 5, 24, 2, 5, .288)

DH: Hank Blalock - Tex

On the bench: Iguchi, Carl Crawford - TB, Victor Martinez - Cle, Torii Hunter - Min, Mike Sweeney - KC

The catcher spot can really be up for grabs since Varitek has better numbers but I kept him out because that would be a Boston domination and would look like a reward for their win last fall. Also Podsednik gets into RF ahead of Ichiro and Sheffield because he plays and sets up the winningest team in the majors. Ichiro's numbers are way down this year in comparison to last year and Sheffield has been hurt lately and would prefer to rest ;). As hard as I tried to ignore A-Rod, his numbers are simply better for his position.

Ofcourse, pitching would be easier.
Starter: John Garland - CWS (1st and 2nd innings)
2nd pitcher: Roy Halladay - Tor (3rd and 4th)
3rd pitcher: Mark Buerhle - CWS (5th and 6th)
4th pitcher: Kenny Rogers - Tex (7th)
5th pitcher: Scott Shields - LAA (8th)
6th pitcher: Dustin Hermanson - CWS (9th)

In the pen: Eddie Guardado - SEA, Johan Santana - Min, Huston Street - Oak

Throw in a couple more (I only have 23) and it should be able to take down anything NL can put out.

Mr. White Sox
06-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Garland is going, and I don't know if Buehrle will. I just don't, and that's sad because he definitely, definitely should, but there's a strong possibility that due to Halladay's resurgence and Santana's popularity, they will make the team ahead of him. Maybe even Matt Clement or Bartolo Colon as well. Sad, but maybe true. With Kenny Rogers pitching the way he is, and Chris Young and Gustavo Chacin (rookies) as well, Buehrle could get overlooked. Hermanson has a shot, but a long one, and Iguchi will not make the team. Ah, the life of a Sox player. Constant oversight:angry:.

JRIG
06-14-2005, 05:53 AM

1B: David Ortiz - Bos (70 hits/235 AB, 30 R, 16 HR, 50 RBI, 0 SB, 32 BB, .298 BA)

On the bench: Iguchi, Carl Crawford - TB, Victor Martinez - Cle, Torii Hunter - Min, Mike Sweeney - KC

The catcher spot can really be up for grabs since Varitek has better numbers but I kept him out because that would be a Boston domination and would look like a reward for their win last fall. Also Podsednik gets into RF ahead of Ichiro and Sheffield because he plays and sets up the winningest team in the majors. Ichiro's numbers are way down this year in comparison to last year and Sheffield has been hurt lately and would prefer to rest ;). As hard as I tried to ignore A-Rod, his numbers are simply better for his position.

Throw in a couple more (I only have 23) and it should be able to take down anything NL can put out.

Podsednik has no chance. As valuable as he has been, he's not batting .300 and he's noit hitting for any kind of power. I just don't think MLB will look at that and place him on the roster. As stated, I wouldn't mind if a couple of our deserving guys got the erst anyway. I think Garland and Buehrle are realistic at this point.

chaerulez
06-14-2005, 08:05 AM

I think the All Star teams are 30 or 31 players.

The Wall
06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Who is a better 2B than Iguchi and Roberts in the league?

And I agree about Pods having a very remote chance but I put him up there because if MLB wants to showcase playing the right way, he should be the poster boy for all that is right and good (remember hs struggled to make it to the majors in the first place). I dont think Buerhle will get overlooked as players and coaches will do the picking. And if Chris Young or Chachin get in ahead of Buerhle, that would be a travesty to the entire pitching fraternity. All Star selections typically ignores rookies as they dont have the same kind of recognition yet.

Foulke You
06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
I figure Garland is the only lock to make the team right now. If we get another player, I honestly believe El Duque has a better chance to make the All Star team than Buehrle because of his name recognition and because of his AL East history. It's too bad because Buehrle deserves to go and I'd rather have The Duke rest his shoulder than pitch in the All Star Game.

Iguchi has a slight chance but I figure he'll probably end up on the 32nd Man-Fan ballot where he'll get squashed by whichever Yankee or Red Sox player they put on the ballot. Maybe they'll put two White Sox players on there to split our votes as they did last year with Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas.:(:

Bottom line, the Sox never get any love around All Star Game time. With the best record in baseball, we'll be lucky to get 2 players let alone 3.

Jerko
06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see Politte make it, but they only take starters and closers it seems. He's having a terrific year so far.

Jurr
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I figure Garland is the only lock to make the team right now. If we get another player, I honestly believe El Duque has a better chance to make the All Star team than Buehrle because of his name recognition and because of his AL East history. It's too bad because Buehrle deserves to go and I'd rather have The Duke rest his shoulder than pitch in the All Star Game.

Iguchi has a slight chance but I figure he'll probably end up on the 32nd Man-Fan ballot where he'll get squashed by whichever Yankee or Red Sox player they put on the ballot. Maybe they'll put two White Sox players on there to split our votes as they did last year with Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas.:(:

Bottom line, the Sox never get any love around All Star Game time. With the best record in baseball, we'll be lucky to get 2 players let alone 3.
Buehrle and Garland have both been getting lots of pub this year, and they're locks. Everyone's been oohing and ahhing about MB's quick games, and they even had a spotlight done on him during sportscenter. He'll make it before Duque.

iftypofixit
06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2084660

My favorite quote actually comes under Carlos Lee...

This is hardly a surprise, as he had averaged 31 homers and 106 RBI the last two years with the White Sox, but it has kept GM Doug Melvin from getting questions about trading away one of the game's few legitimate leadoff men, Scott Podsednik (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6489), whose speed has keyed the Sox' turnaround.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
With respect who cares about the All Popularity Contest farce?

Lip

Jurr
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
With respect who cares about the All Popularity Contest farce?

Lip
Soooooo much anger. Yet sooooo true.

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
To be honest, I dont know if we have any legitimate All-Stars at any position (Pitching is another story). Our best hitting player is Iguchi, who is-at least at this point- not better than Alfonso Soriano or Brian Roberts, will only make it if they carry three second basemen AND he gets past Tony Womack (who has the Yankee fanbase behind him) and Mark Bellhorn (who has Red Sux Nation behind him, as well as some good numbers).

We all appreciate our team, and know how important they are to this record. I'd love to see Podsednik there, currently tenth among AL outfielders. But when you see someone like Jermaine Dye, who we all can agree has absolutely no freakin' business in the running, you see that it is idiots voting going off name recognition. Besides, this team is built on teammates, not superstars. I'm okay with no All-Stars in the field. We'll still have Buehrle and Garland there, and it gives the rest of the guys a couple days off to gear up for the worst part of the season every year-the post-All Star break run.

RockRaines
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
To be honest, I dont know if we have any legitimate All-Stars at any position (Pitching is another story). Our best hitting player is Iguchi, who is-at least at this point- not better than Alfonso Soriano or Brian Roberts, will only make it if they carry three second basemen AND he gets past Tony Womack (who has the Yankee fanbase behind him) and Mark Bellhorn (who has Red Sux Nation behind him, as well as some good numbers).

I agree, there is absolutely no chance for Gooch to make the team, especially when he doesnt deserve it behind Roberts and Soriano. We should at least, have 2 pitchers make it, however, but three would be nice with Hermy.

If any position player should make the team, I would pick Spods, partly because of his stats, but mostly because of the effect he has on the other team, and the fact that our team is largely dependent of him getting on base. It wont happen though.

misty60481
06-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I would like to see Big Frank as a pick---he could be in HR derby and Buerhle & Garland---how can anyone possibly pick Podsednik,, he has been at cell almost half a year and still hasnt hit a home run--dont you think he should be a little embarassed...I am retired and now that the kids are out of school I watch them playing ball---I asked them who there favorites are---most still pick Maggs---a couple Big Frank..they like Rowand,, but he hasnt put up the numbers like last year,,Paulie is a big favorite...

MaggPipes
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
We all like Frank and he is having an awesome comeback so far, but there is no way in the world that he is going to make the all-star game playing one month. he would have to hit like 25 HR's before the all-star selections and then he would still be a maybe because he hasn't performed ALL year. Big Frank on a normal year is a pipe dream with the media the way it is, let alone this year.

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I would like to see Big Frank as a pick---he could be in HR derby and Buerhle & Garland---how can anyone possibly pick Podsednik,, he has been at cell almost half a year and still hasnt hit a home run--dont you think he should be a little embarassed...I am retired and now that the kids are out of school I watch them playing ball---I asked them who there favorites are---most still pick Maggs---a couple Big Frank..they like Rowand,, but he hasnt put up the numbers like last year,,Paulie is a big favorite...

How could you POSSIBLY justify Frank Thomas as an All-Star? Are you the same person who voted for Nomar Garciaparra to start at short, even though he has had 51 at-bats? Hell, at least Nomar has fifty at-bats. I love Frank, but there is absolutely no justifiable reason for him to be an All-Star.

misty60481
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM
They let Willie Mays & Stan Musial in at the end of there careers as tokens--for the fans sake---be nice if Frank got same honor...

fquaye149
06-14-2005, 03:18 PM
how can anyone possibly pick Podsednik,, he has been at cell almost half a year and still hasnt hit a home run--dont you think he should be a little embarassed...

how could anyone pick him? like this:

he's a leadoff hitter and his commitment to the team precludes swinging for the fences like he did last year hitting a pitiful .231.

Now his BA is .280 some his obp is .380 some and he has over 30 sb's.

watch carefully.

*pick*

That's how it's done.

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
They let Willie Mays & Stan Musial in at the end of there careers as tokens--for the fans sake---be nice if Frank got same honor...

Until Frank says so, his farewell tour has not begun. Then, and only then, will I BEGIN to consider "token" nods to the All-Star game.

DaleJRFan
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM

No knock on or offense to Frank Thomas, but he is no Stan Musial and certainly no Willie Mays. If Barry Larkin gets a "token" nod to the summer classic, so should Big Frank.

Palehose13
06-14-2005, 04:07 PM
How could you POSSIBLY justify Frank Thomas as an All-Star? Are you the same person who voted for Nomar Garciaparra to start at short, even though he has had 51 at-bats? Hell, at least Nomar has fifty at-bats. I love Frank, but there is absolutely no justifiable reason for him to be an All-Star.

This is the same guy that said that Podsednik is not worth consideration because he hasn't hit a homer yet. :?: Go figure...

Realist
06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
The Sox players should demand that the entire team be invited to the All-Star game, or none of 'em are coming.

maurice
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Thomas / Mays = apples / oranges, but Frank certainly is comparable to Stan Musial. It's a shame that most baseball fans / reporters don't realize this fact.

Mr. White Sox
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
:hawk
HE GONE! Trolls, grab some bench.
what a way to ruin a perfectly good thread.

Harry Chappas
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM

On one hand, you want to make Frank an All-Star despite the fact that he's only played in a handful of games and on the other, you dismiss perhaps the most important member of our team because he hasn't hit an HR at the Cell. I don't quite understand your logic.

PicktoCLick72
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I love how the same people will say the All-Star game is a joke and then complain the Sox don't have enough players on the team. Make up your mind.:angry: :angry:

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
This is the same guy that said that Podsednik is not worth consideration because he hasn't hit a homer yet. :?: Go figure...

WHOAH!!!! I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT SAY PODSEDNIK'S HOME RUN CAPABILITY HAS ANY BEARING ON HIS ALL-STAR STATUS! Don't put me in that category!:o:

BridgePortNative
06-14-2005, 05:36 PM
With the MLB lead in steals is he a worthy All-Star? It would be freakin' sweet to see him swipe a few bases on the poor defensive catcher Mike Piazza. But likely he will be looked over for a few Bo' Sox.

Meh, oh well the game doesn't count that much anyway, although it would be sweet to have him there.

SFC. Payne
"Bravo's the best Cuz we are the best!"
Uhh Rah!

Mr. White Sox
06-14-2005, 05:59 PM
The poll asks who deserves to start in the allstar game. Of course, the poll split Buehrle and Garland, so CWS fans are forced to split their votes, thereby relegating Buehrle to last and Garland to 3rd. Konerko is not even a choice at 1st; his spot was taken by Sweeney on the Royals. Interesting poll I guess...what do you guys think?

Palehose13
06-14-2005, 05:59 PM
WHOAH!!!! I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT SAY PODSEDNIK'S HOME RUN CAPABILITY HAS ANY BEARING ON HIS ALL-STAR STATUS! Don't put me in that category!:o:

My comment was to you about misty's post. Don't worry...we were among the first few to stand behind Pods when the trade went down...you're one of my guys. :wink:

misty60481
06-14-2005, 06:00 PM
I said Podsednik didnt belong on All-Star team---if he was a 2nd baseman or shortstop you wouldnt expect any power--- but a left-fielder is supposed to supply some power..
Dont think I am not a Sox fan--I have been a Sox fan 60 years and I saw my 1st game at old Comiskey in 1945..and still have a copy of boxscore....

Lip Man 1
06-14-2005, 06:04 PM
With respect...WHO CARES? It's ESPN and it's the All Star Popularity Contest farce. Why waste your time??

Lip

Palehose13
06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I said Podsednik didnt belong on All-Star team---if he was a 2nd baseman or shortstop you wouldnt expect any power--- but a left-fielder is supposed to supply some power..
Dont think I am not a Sox fan--I have been a Sox fan 60 years and I saw my 1st game at old Comiskey in 1945..and still have a copy of boxscore....

I don't think that you aren't a sox fan. Pods isn't a power guy...well, when he is his average and obp goes down which wouldn't help the team at all. Regarding his power, he's actually a centerfielder (where you don't expect power either). I think Rowand's power in CF makes up for Pods lack of it in LF. Podsednik brings a very special gift to the game and since you have been a fan for so long, I would think he would remind you of some of the older players and have a lil' soft spot in your heart. :wink:

Palehose13
06-14-2005, 06:11 PM
I think he definitely should be given consideration, but unfortunately his talents aren't "valued" by the people who give attention to this media circus event. *sigh* It would be nice if the people in the baseball community voted for ALL of the all-stars, since the game does matter now.

MUsoxfan
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
All-Stars are determined by power numbers, not speed and defense. A good example of this is Manny Ramirez. He can hit a ball just as good as anyone, but he's horribly slow and awful in the field. Yet, he's a perennial all-star.

anewman35
06-14-2005, 06:39 PM
With respect...WHO CARES? It's ESPN and it's the All Star Popularity Contest farce. Why waste your time??

Lip

With all respect, why do people post "Who cares?" to every single poll topic? Some people care, obviously, or they wouldn't post about them. If YOU don't care, isn't it easy to just skip topics with the word "poll" in them?

MRKARNO
06-14-2005, 06:49 PM
With all respect, why do people post "Who cares?" to every single poll topic? Some people care, obviously, or they wouldn't post about them. If YOU don't care, isn't it easy to just skip topics with the word "poll" in them?

Because this is stuff that's not worth getting even bothered by. It seems that some here care more about winning popularity contests than winning ballgames, and that's not how it should be.

misty60481
06-14-2005, 06:52 PM
I can somewhat compare Podsednik to Busby, Landis, Hershberger,, but he is nowhere near the fielders those guys were,,dont get me wrong I like Podsednik but wish he had some power, since that seems to be our only weakness this year...with guys liike Rameriz,Damon,Vlad,Sheffield, I dont see any way he can even be considered for all-star team..

anewman35
06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Because this is stuff that's not worth getting even bothered by. It seems that some here care more about winning popularity contests than winning ballgames, and that's not how it should be.

I'm not saying people SHOULD care, and I don't much care myself. But why does it bother other people so much? Sure, it doesn't REALLY matter if we're popular, but I hardly see how it hurts. As lame as it is, some people pick things like baseball teams based on how popular they are. Wouldn't you rather have some of those people giving the White Sox money?

nedlug
06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
All-Stars are determined by power numbers, not speed and defense. A good example of this is Manny Ramirez. He can hit a ball just as good as anyone, but he's horribly slow and awful in the field. Yet, he's a perennial all-star.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the league managers would vote for the teams. The roster sure would be a lot, lot different. Since the game means home-field advantage in the WS, fans shouldn't be allowed to pick the starters IMHO.

nedlug
06-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't you rather have some of those people giving the White Sox money?

As long as they don't cheer every fly ball like Flubs/Padres fans.

Daver
06-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Since the game means home-field advantage in the WS, fans shouldn't be allowed to pick the starters IMHO.

Since it is an exhibition game that means absolutely nothing it should not decide homefield advantage.

John Barrett
06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I would rather see our guys get the few days break

fquaye149
06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I can somewhat compare Podsednik to Busby, Landis, Hershberger,, but he is nowhere near the fielders those guys were,,dont get me wrong I like Podsednik but wish he had some power, since that seems to be our only weakness this year...with guys liike Rameriz,Damon,Vlad,Sheffield, I dont see any way he can even be considered for all-star team..

do you write for espn, sports illustrated or the cubune? if not they have an opening for you.

Outfield has never been a strictly power position. And if Pods was playing center and Rowand left, would we be any worse off offensively? That would be more "traditional." however, the way it is, we gain defensively and sacrifice nothing offensively.

This is not the same as having a mediocre stick at first. Outfield is still a position where defensive skill makes a difference.

Right now no one runs the bases like Pods. He's as close to Ricky as we get in baseball right now. And what position did Ricky play?........

ANYWAY...I'm just glad we figure to have more all-stars than last year when we had NONE. You heard me...Yankee "blue chips" don't count.

fquaye149
06-14-2005, 08:11 PM

Manny happens to be one of the best hitters in the game. He is a probable hall of famer if he plays 5 more years the way he's been playing.

If Frank were playing everyday I would think he should make the team. Why shouldn't Manny?

misty60481
06-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I still think they should let a player who has HOF credentials be on all-star roster--even if it doesnt count on number of players...The fans deserve to see some of the stars they may never get to see..even if its just take batting practice or if the occasion arises,,,pinch hit..I know Detroit has seen Frank a lot but if the game is in say Pittsburg they deserve a chance to see some of the players that made the headlines 5 years before...I myself dont think Frank is going to play 3 or 4 years as he says--he seems to be more injury prone every year..I think guys like Bagwell, Griffey, even Bonds--though I hate him---should at least get to go----

The Wall
06-14-2005, 11:27 PM
There were half-a-dozen posts with who really cares about the popularity contest!

Come on. It might be a popularity contest, but it means something. It decides who gets to host Game 7 of the World Series and that is a BIG advantage. Considering how well the Sox have played so far, I would hate it for Terry Francona to ruin it for the Sox like Dusty screwed the NL in the 2003 All star game on the south side.

Phil Rogers wrote a nice article on first time all stars.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2084660

He actually named atleast 3 Sox players as possible first time All stars. He isnt fired yet by Jim and Andy? :D:

White Sox Josh
06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Book It! Let's see what flights will be going out of Midway on July 10th.

mdep524
06-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Book It! Let's see what flights will be going out of Midway on July 10th. :cheers:

Bisco Stu
06-21-2005, 10:51 AM
American League
Jon Garland (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6396), White Sox starting pitcher: A 12-game winner in each of the last three seasons, the former first-round pick of the Cubs remember the Matt Karchner trade? might get his dozen wins for 2005 before the All-Star Game. He and Florida's Dontrelle Willis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7133), who was also dealt away by the Cubs, are decent bets to wind up as the starting pitchers.

Garland opened the season as the White Sox's No. 5 starter but won his first eight starts, building the confidence he lacked in previous seasons. Some credit should go to A.J. Pierzynski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6109) and Chris Widger (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5434), who are working better with him than their catching predecessors, most notably Miguel Olivo (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7028).

Tadahito Iguchi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7510), White Sox second baseman: The latest Japanese import has made a smooth transition, partly because he's had countryman Shingo Takatsu (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7255) showing him the ropes and partly because he's seeing lots of fastballs hitting behind Scott Podsednik. He was a No. 3 hitter in Japan, but is doing a good job as a table setter. He's been the most consistent hitter in Ozzie Guillen's lineup.

Also worth considering: Rangers designated hitter David Dellucci (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5823), Tigers starting pitcher Jeremy Bonderman (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7106), Twins set-up man Jesse Crain (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7279), White Sox closer Dustin Hermanson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5387) and White Sox left fielder Scott Podsednik.

daveeym
06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
MB = Rodney Dangerfield

Sxy Mofo
06-21-2005, 11:05 AM
MB = Rodney Dangerfield

Exactly what i was thinking. I'm hoping it's foregone MB should be in the all-star game, so the guy didn't need to mention it.

LuvSox
06-21-2005, 11:07 AM
It's already an AL East love fest with the starters, hope some Chisox make reserves.

The Dude
06-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Wheres our Mark???????? He better not get snubbed again. Cant forget the Loaiza debacle last year. Those no-decisions might really hurt Mark's chances. Oh well, at least he'll be fresh for the second half.

Cubbiesuck13
06-21-2005, 11:13 AM
MB = Rodney Dangerfield
Who? Kerry Wood is KW silly...

Jiddy78
06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Wheres our Mark???????? He better not get snubbed again. Cant forget the Loaiza debacle last year. Those no-decisions might really hurt Mark's chances. Oh well, at least he'll be fresh for the second half.

Esteban Loaiza is a figment of all of our imaginations....He never happened.

Soxzilla
06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
If Mark Buehrle doesn't go to the all-star game...

ChicagoHoosier
06-21-2005, 12:25 PM
MB is one of the best pitchers in the league, and even though he's had several no-decisions in a row, how can you even think of keeping him off the team? Complete games, shut outs, dominating outings... I almost think he should be chosen over Garland if there is only one pitcher. Sure, Garland has the Ws, but more strikeouts, better ERA, fewer walks (by one), more innings pitched all go to Burls.

hold2dibber
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that the article in question was written several weeks ago. I can't imagine that anyone could write an article now on All-Star contenders and not even mention Buehrle.

ChiSoxRowand
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
What about Politte? He's having a great year.

5-0
1.32 ERA
30 K's
.206 OBA
12 hits in 27 innings

nebraskasox
06-21-2005, 12:57 PM

5-0
1.32 ERA
30 K's
.206 OBA
12 hits in 27 innings

Plus he's batting 1.000!!!

scottjanssens
06-21-2005, 01:08 PM

It's usually only starters and closers that go. No respect for the middle men.

Besides, Politte especially should get a full three day rest.

mjmcend
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
The article was written on June 14th, but it was about, as the title says, "Those deserving of first-time All-Star spots." So it wouldn't include Mark or any other player in the league who had already been to an all star game. ESPN is not out to get the White Sox 100 percent of the time, its much more close to 97%.

gf2020
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
The article is weeks old. PLUS, it's about players who should be considered for their FIRST all star game. Hence, no MB.

BNLSox
06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
MB has to be there. JG gives almost all of the credit for his success to Marky.

Francona is no dummy. He knows that:

A) He wants homefield advantage if for some crazy reason his team were to actually make the playoffs let alone the WS again.
B) He will be seeing a lot of the White Sox post all-star break and wouldn't mind a chance to scout 'em in person and tire them out for the Dog days of summer.

Here are my picks if it were a fair and non-Boston/NY centric world:
MB, JG, Tadahito, Pods, Cliff, and Hermanson.

Here is who I think will actually end up there:
MB, JG, Konerko, Hermanson.

DrGiggles
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
So what happens if not one white sox player makes it to the all-star game, you guys gonna rebel like you are against ESPN and Baseball Tonight? Lets say for some reason, not one sox player makes it, who cares, like you all say, when it comes to October and we are in first, then everyone will see, am I right?

Jiddy78
06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
So what happens if not one white sox player makes it to the all-star game, you guys gonna rebel like you are against ESPN and Baseball Tonight? Lets say for some reason, not one sox player makes it, who cares, like you all say, when it comes to October and we are in first, then everyone will see, am I right?

The "at least one player from each team" rule would ruin your potential issue...

DrGiggles
06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
You got a point, my bad. Thanks for the reply to my stupidity.

clee-hegone
06-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Plus he's batting 1.000!!!

how dare you. you forgot his rbi and run scored, how relief pitchers have done that??? politte for governor.

soxfanreggie
06-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Buehrle has one of the best winning percentages in the league, plus he's 8-1 at this current time. He has a better ERA (by almost a full point), WHIP, and more K's than Garland. Buehrle is actually better in every statistical category than Garland except for wins and hits given up. Can you fault Mark for losing 1 game in 14 starts while Garland has lost 2 in 14 starts. Both pitchers are pitching like Cy Young contenders. I don't know if there are pitchers in the league pitching better than Mark. He should be a Cy Young contender, and would most likely be the front runner if not for the blowing of some of his leads. Mark has not lost a game since April 10th. In his string of 4 ND's, he gave up 7 ER in about 32 innings. He thus, averages a little over 1 ER every 5 innings.
If Mark is denied a spot on the All-Star team for anything but starting a tremendous losing streak, it will be a travesty, and the All-Star game should be renamed the "game where the yankees and red sox take on the NL"

TDog
06-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Hopefully zero (I guess you have to send one).

I think the AS game is pretty much worthless, and I'd honestly much rather our players get the rest.

I always root to be forgotten during the AS hub-bub...

What he said.

If Sox send pitchers, I hope they don't even get a chance to warm up. Let other teams' stars do the work in beating the National League, something just about every American League team but the Twins have been doing recently.

Mr. White Sox
06-22-2005, 04:14 AM
I just saw a BBTN segment on which AL pitcher should start the all-star game...and...get this...
Brantley = Garland
Gammons = Buehrle

Kruk = Halladay

"I can't believe what I just saw"

Tragg
06-22-2005, 07:55 AM
It would be a crime for MB not to make the all star team. He's 8-1 with a 2.67 ERA - he's a lock on stats alone.
Torre would put Kevin Brown on the all star team. But he doesn't pick anyomre, thank goodness.

34 Inch Stick
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
What he said.

If Sox send pitchers, I hope they don't even get a chance to warm up. Let other teams' stars do the work in beating the National League, something just about every American League team but the Twins have been doing recently.

Ah, but here is where you are wrong, this year we have a legitimate shot at the world series. Since the ASG determines WS home field advantage, sox pitchers are helping themselves out down the line.

Sxy Mofo
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
you know, i'd love to see something like this happen.

since the farce of a popularity contest generally has a bunch of undeserving players, if, let's say, the sox only had one or two players, i'd love it if those all-stars "boycotted" the game in almost a protest of the farce that it has become.

Of course, because the game is a farce, yet determines home field advantage in the WS (and, if, by the grace of God, the Sox get there), the AL needs as many players who actually deserve to be there as they can. so, the sox probably should send players if they get chosen.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 11:45 AM
What does everyone think of the chances of Politte going to the All Star Game this year. He has been the best set up man in baseball and they usually have 1 or 2 setup men on the team(Tom Gordon last year and Brendan Donnelly and Shigetoshi Hasegawa the year before). I think he should go.

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 11:56 AM
What does everyone think of the chances of Politte going to the All Star Game this year. He has been the best set up man in baseball and they usually have 1 or 2 setup men on the team(Tom Gordon last year and Brendan Donnelly and Shigetoshi Hasegawa the year before). I think he should go.

Unfortunately for Politte, this is a year where many short relievers are excelling.

Take a look at Arthur Rhodes and Jesse Crain, to name a few. Both are having stellar seasons as well.

There are too many great starters (Buerhle, Garland, Halladay, Rogers, Colon, Clement, Santana, Bonderman and several others who merit consideration) and relievers (Hermanson, Guardado, Ryan, Rivera, Cordero, Baez (TB has to have a rep) and Wickman for someone like Politte to make it, IMO.

santo=dorf
06-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I was just going to start a thread on this. I have seen fans of the east coast teams mention Mike Timlin's name, but Politte is far better than him. Timlin has a better ERA, but like I mention in that stupid Damaso Marte thread, relief pitching shouldn't be judge only on ERA.

Timlin: (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4621)

IP: 37.1
W-L: 2-1
ERA: 1.21
WHIP: 1.21
OPP BA: .261
OPS against: .648
K/9: 6.03
Inherited runners-Inherited runners scored: 14-9

Politte: (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5960)
IP: 29.1
W-L: 5-0
ERA: 1.23
WHIP: .716
OPP BA: .135
OPS against: .412
K/9: 9.51
Inherited runners-Inherited runners scored: 24-4

But I'm sure Francona will look at more than ERA and which Coast they play on when selecting pitchers this year.

daveeym
06-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Psst, get a new picture in your sig.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Politte has had a great half of the season, but has absolutely NO chance of an allstar bid.

and as stated earlier, please edit that sig!
When I see it i feel like doing this....
:chunks