PDA

View Full Version : Line Up for Tonight

knocko94
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Heard on MJH that Crazy Carl would start in place of Podsednick, with Rowand leading off.

I don't mind this at all, and we may be seeing this lineup more often with the Big Hurt back.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Heard on MJH that Crazy Carl would start in place of Podsednick, with Rowand leading off.

I don't mind this at all, and we may be seeing this lineup more often with the Big Hurt back.

Nothing against Carl, but Podsednik should not sit unless he is injured or just needs a day off.

Rocky Soprano
06-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Nothing against Carl, but Podsednik should not sit unless he is injured or just needs a day off.

I agree! Podsednik is who gets this offense going and Ozzie just loves sitting him. Just stupid.

kittle42
06-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Sitting Pods as much as Ozzie does is odd. With Frank back and the surplus of OF, I understand it, but when he used to sit him or Rowand just for the sake of playing Timo or Ozuna, it was questionable.

One of the main problems with this team over the past few years was the lack of a leadoff hitter. Now we have one, and he plays only 5 times a week.

knocko94
06-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah Pods needs to be in there, but Ozzie will probably try to get Carl 4 starts a week or so, substituting for Pods, Frank, and Dye.

I would rather have Rowand at the top of the order than Ozuna/Timo, that's for sure

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I haven't seen the who is going to night for the D-Backs, but judging from the lineup, I'd guess he's a lefty.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Carl is swinging the hot stick right now. So you can't fault his presence.

Much more welcome than seeing Timozuna gobbling up productive AB's from others.

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I haven't seen the who is going to night for the D-Backs, but judging from the lineup, I'd guess he's a lefty.

Shawn Estes will be pitching for the D-Backs.

He gone
06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Much more welcome than seeing Timozuna gobbling up productive AB's from others.

I must agree.

Too bad Crazy Carl or Frank couldn't play 1st base.

Better yet, too bad Pauley couldn't play 3rd base :redneck

Unregistered
06-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Tonight's Lineup

Rowand
Iguchi
Thomas
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Crede
Widger
Uribe

PAPChiSox729
06-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't know whether or not I like this. Carl has been swinging the bat pretty well lately, but Pods is the spark to this offense. In the end, my gut tells me it probably won't matter. I think we will get to Estes pretty easily. Plus, Contreras will throw a gem tonight.

:wink:

whitesoxfan
06-13-2005, 05:20 PM
i dont mind the lineup especially with a lefty on the mound. Carl is red hot and Frank needs to get AB's. Ozzie only sits Pods against lefties, if he sat him with a righty on the mound tonight, then i'd think it would be fair to criticize him. That being said, i think this is a good lineup against a crappy pitcher.

MRKARNO
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I'd guess he's a lefty.

Yup, Shawn Estes is a lefty, and not a good one at that. The White Sox are the best team in the majors at hitting left-handed pitching with an .867 OPS, .379 OBP and a .312 AVG against lefties (all of those marks lead the majors).

Everyone this side of Timo Perez has been destroying lefties this year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=chw&cat=OPS&season=2005&split=31&seasonType=2&type=reg

I'd be shocked if Estes manages a quality start or better.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Tonight's Lineup

Rowand
Iguchi
Thomas
Konerko
Everett
Dye
Crede
Widger
UribeI know we are facing a lefty, but if we had A.J. in there I think it is our best lineup.

MRKARNO
06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
I know we are facing a lefty, but if we had A.J. in there I think it is our best lineup.

Widger's OPS vs lefties is 1.042, while AJ's is not too bad .871. Might as well give him the night off tonight.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Shawn Estes is the scheduled starter.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Widger's OPS vs lefties is 1.042, while AJ's is not too bad .871. Might as well give him the night off tonight.I agree, and I am definitely a Widger fan, point was basically that I think this is the best lineup even without Scotty P.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Obviously, Ozzie faces a difficult decision making out the lineup every night. Frank has to play, as does Carl Everett. Podsednik should also be in the lineup almost every day. I don't understand why Guillen keeps resting him.

Frank is still something of a question-mark because of his ankle. Thus, I think playing him five out of every six days is probably the best way to use him. Everett also needs playing time, but I don't think he needs as much time as Frank, nor do I think that Thomas should be the only one who lose at-bats when Everett plays.

Here is the rotation I would use to accomodate everyone:

Day 1: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 2: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Everett (LF); Podsednik (Bench)
Day 3: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 4: Thomas (DH); Everett (RF); Podsednik (LF); Dye (Bench)
Day 5: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 6: Everett (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Thomas (Bench)

This allows Thomas, Dye, and Podsednik to play 5/6 games. It may also be necessary to rest Rowand one day and move Pods to CF. Everett also receives playing time, and Timo is kept out of the lineup. I think that's what bothers me most about this situation. I have no problem with Sox regulars getting at-bats, but I don't want to see scrubs in the lineup every third game. Perez has had chances to contribute, and he hasn't done it. He needs to go.

The Racehorse
06-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Yup, Shawn Estes is a lefty, and not a good one at that. The White Sox are the best team in the majors at hitting left-handed pitching with an .867 OPS, .379 OBP and a .312 AVG against lefties (all of those marks lead the majors).

Everyone this side of Timo Perez has been destroying lefties this year

I thought PK was scuffling versus LHP too. I thought I heard Hawk & DJ say the other night [or last night] that Konerko was hitting .100-something against lefties...

... as for tonight's lineup, trying to squeeze Pods, Aaron, Carl & Dye into 3 OF positions is a GOOD problem to have now that Jermaine is on the right side of .250 average-wise... with the lefty Estes, Pods can use a day off since we'll mash Estes because he's neither a rookie or someone we've never faced.

PAPChiSox729
06-13-2005, 06:24 PM
... as for tonight's lineup, trying to squeeze Pods, Aaron, Carl & Dye into 3 OF positions is a GOOD problem to have now that Jermaine is on the right side of .250 average-wise... with the lefty Estes, Pods can use a day off since we'll mash Estes because he's neither a rookie or someone we've never faced.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. If they were facing Santana or RJ, I would be a little more concerned. But we are talking about Shawn Estes. He's a decent pitcher, but we should be able to get to this guy with the lineup we are running out there today.

Jurr
06-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Obviously, Ozzie faces a difficult decision making out the lineup every night. Frank has to play, as does Carl Everett. Podsednik should also be in the lineup almost every day. I don't understand why Guillen keeps resting him.

Frank is still something of a question-mark because of his ankle. Thus, I think playing him five out of every six days is probably the best way to use him. Everett also needs playing time, but I don't think he needs as much time as Frank, nor do I think that Thomas should be the only one who lose at-bats when Everett plays.

Here is the rotation I would use to accomodate everyone:

Day 1: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 2: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Everett (LF); Podsednik (Bench)
Day 3: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 4: Thomas (DH); Everett (RF); Podsednik (LF); Dye (Bench)
Day 5: Thomas (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Everett (Bench)
Day 6: Everett (DH); Dye (RF); Podsednik (LF); Thomas (Bench)

This allows Thomas, Dye, and Podsednik to play 5/6 games. It may also be necessary to rest Rowand one day and move Pods to CF. Everett also receives playing time, and Timo is kept out of the lineup. I think that's what bothers me most about this situation. I have no problem with Sox regulars getting at-bats, but I don't want to see scrubs in the lineup every third game. Perez has had chances to contribute, and he hasn't done it. He needs to go.
That's pretty damn brilliant. I like it, though Ozzie is in love with Timo for some reason, and it won't happen like that.

Rocklive99
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh, Shawn Estes, what great memories!!!! Don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers...

ChiSox7
06-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Oh, Shawn Estes, what great memories!!!! Don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers...

That was the day Miggy hit a grand slam!

Jjav829
06-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Apparently Ozzie now thinks Pods should sit versus lefties. That would be fine....if Pods wasn't hitting lefties better than righties. That's poor managing by Ozzie. I can see if Pods was like Valentin where he just couldn't hit lefties, but he's not. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. This is the third time that Pods has sat in that past 8 days. Maybe he tweaked something that we haven't heard about. That's about the only explanation that makes sense. But since he has sat all three times against lefties, I'd guess Ozzie is doing it on purpose.

On the bright side, I must commend Ozzie on the lineup. I ripped him the other day for this Pods-Crede combination where they both sat on the same days. Well today Ozzie did what I asked for and left Crede in the lineup while moving Rowand to the leadoff smart. That's a very smart move IMO. I would still rather have Pods in the lineup though.

DickAllen72
06-13-2005, 09:56 PM
I would still rather have Pods in the lineup though.

It does seem like the lineup lacks that spark when Pods is not leading off.

PAPChiSox729
06-13-2005, 10:46 PM
It does seem like the lineup lacks that spark when Pods is not leading off.

Yeah, the top of the lineup was pretty quiet tonight. I'm not sure how much of an influence Pods would have had on the outcome, but the lineup sure wasn't clicking well.

Huisj
06-13-2005, 11:26 PM
I wonder if Podsednik gets a lot of rest because he needs to keep his legs fresh. Maybe without the days off, he wouldn't always have that rocket speed first step, and maybe he wouldn't be as effective. Just a thought.

ilsox7
06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
The Sox have played 63 games so far this year. Pods was hurt for 5 of those games. He's played in 54 of the 58 games he's been available for. That's completely normal rest.