PDA

View Full Version : Sean McAdam on WEEI says about Wrigley

Fenway
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal says while he enjoyed Wrigley he was shocked at how DIRTY and SMELLY the park is. Much worse than Yankee Stadium.

Thank goodness it is over but the Red Sox owner says "I talked to Bud (Selig) we should play the Cubs every year and he agreed with me."

Even Shaugnessy enjoyed himself probably working on "The Curse of the Billy Goat"
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/06/13/in_concert_the_teams_fans_had_a_great_time/

June 10-12, 2005. Wrigley Woodstock. Instead of Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, N.Y., we had the ivy-coated brick ballpark at the corner of Clark and Addison in the heart of Wrigleyville. Instead of Hendrix playing the anthem at dawn, we had the immortal Wayne and Kathleen Messmer singing the anthem at dusk. Instead of brown acid disrupting trips, we had the Red Sox' flammable pitching (in the first two games) disrupting thousands of road-trippers from New England.

Cubs management and fans have done everything to accommodate the traveling band from Boston. You can wear Sox garb anywhere in town without fear of an ugly incident. No fights. No signs of trophy envy. No vulgar chants. They even played ''Sweet Caroline" between innings to make everyone from Boston feel at home.

But for the most part, the weekend was about people who stay loyal to their teams for decades on top of decades, sometimes never enjoying the ultimate reward. Cubs people are hoping some of the magic rubbed off in the last three days at Wrigley.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist.

LongLiveFisk
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal says while he enjoyed Wrigley he was shocked at how DIRTY and SMELLY the park is. Much worse than Yankee Stadium.

Thank goodness it is over but the Red Sox owner says "I talked to Bud (Selig) we should play the Cubs every year and he agreed with me."

:roflmao: What we've been saying all along....it stinks!!

BUT having said that and now that they know it WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO PLAY THE CUBS EVERY YEAR?

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 04:17 PM

Even Shaugnessy enjoyed himself probably working on "The Curse of the Billy Goat"
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/06/13/in_concert_the_teams_fans_had_a_great_time/

June 10-12, 2005. Wrigley Woodstock. Instead of Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, N.Y., we had the ivy-coated brick ballpark at the corner of Clark and Addison in the heart of Wrigleyville. Instead of Hendrix playing the anthem at dawn, we had the immortal Wayne and Kathleen Messmer singing the anthem at dusk. Instead of brown acid disrupting trips, we had the Red Sox' flammable pitching (in the first two games) disrupting thousands of road-trippers from New England.

Cubs management and fans have done everything to accommodate the traveling band from Boston. You can wear Sox garb anywhere in town without fear of an ugly incident. No fights. No signs of trophy envy. No vulgar chants. They even played ''Sweet Caroline" between innings to make everyone from Boston feel at home.

But for the most part, the weekend was about people who stay loyal to their teams for decades on top of decades, sometimes never enjoying the ultimate reward. Cubs people are hoping some of the magic rubbed off in the last three days at Wrigley.

Pardon me...I think...I'm...going...to......

:chunks

There. That's much better.

Fenway
06-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Funniest moment came on Friday

Boston fans start Let's Go Red Sox clap clap

Chicago fans boo but can't drown them out

they then start chanting "Let's Go Cubbies" but still couldn't drown out Boston

Then the chant changed and everybody was involved

Yankees **** :smile:

NSSoxFan
06-13-2005, 04:33 PM

You say it's funny, I say it's typical. Fake Sox and Flub fans chanting a team that isn't even related to the game sucks.

:rolleyes:

Dub25
06-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Yeah, what NS said!

Fenway
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
You say it's funny, I say it's typical. Fake Sox and Flub fans chanting a team that isn't even related to the game sucks.

:rolleyes:

not as bad as hearing it in Montreal at a hockey game

Those 2 words are in the lexicon of New England

We strange people

dcb33
06-13-2005, 04:44 PM
You can wear Sox garb anywhere in town without fear of an ugly incident.

I certainly hope one would be able to wear the hometown team's gear around without fear of an incident.

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
:roflmao:

BUT having said that and now that they know it WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO PLAY THE CUBS EVERY YEAR?

Piling up wins?

cubhater
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Just proves how stupid Cub fans are. If they looked at the schedule they would have realized the Yanks played the Cards the same weekend and should have rooted for the Yanks to win.:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Just proves how stupid Cub fans are. If they looked at the schedule they would have realized the Yanks played the Cards the same weekend and should have rooted for the Yanks to win.:rolleyes:

There are people here who have said that they'd root for the Twins when they played the Cubs.

jackbrohamer
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Exactly the kind of half-assed idea that would appeal to Selig.

Jerko
06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Exactly the kind of half-assed idea that would appeal to Selig.

Cub schedule next year:

April 4-30 vs. Cincinnati
May 1-27 v. Boston
May 28-30 v. White Sox
June 1-26 v. NYY
June 28-30 v. White Sox
July-August v. Boston
September 1-15 v. Pitt
September 16-30 v. Milwaukee

cubhater
06-14-2005, 10:07 AM
There are people here who have said that they'd root for the Twins when they played the Cubs.

I'd root for the Twins against the Cubs if they were a doormat like KC and posed no threat to the Sox.

1951Campbell
06-14-2005, 10:31 AM

:hijacked:

Fenway, do you remember Carl Everett's "I'm not talking to you or your curly-headed boyfriend" outburst in Boston? I can't remember who Carl said it too. It was some Globe reporter.

(Sorry all, Shaughnessy's name reminded me.)

TDog
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
There are a lot of Cubs fans who would prefer to play home and home with the Red Sox and not have the White Sox on the schedule at all.

And just as there are Cubs fans who smugly say the White Sox games mean nothing to them but everything to Sox fans, baseball fans in Boston could say the same thing about the Cubs series. But for the Red Sox fans it would be true.

RichFitztightly
06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
And just as there are Cubs fans who smugly say the White Sox games mean nothing to them but everything to Sox fans,

I guess this little anecdote could go here. I'm submitting this as evidence #723529 that the Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. The other night I was walking into the bar Joe's on Weed just as Hermanson was blowing that save against the Padres. About 1/4 of the bar errupted in cheers as the winning run crossed the plate.

Just goes to show ya...

What it shows ya, I'm not too sure... but it goes to show ya regardless.

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Pardon me...I think...I'm...going...to......

:chunks

There. That's much better.

Thanks Torn, if you hadn't put that up there I was going to. What a disgusting piece of pseudo-journalism. Shaugnessy could romanticize Francona's angioplasty.

Fenway
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM
He made the remark to Gordon Edes the beat writer of the Globe.

CHB is of course
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/05/17/1116358947_2206.jpg
Dan Shaughnessy

:hijacked:

Fenway, do you remember Carl Everett's "I'm not talking to you or your curly-headed boyfriend" outburst in Boston? I can't remember who Carl said it too. It was some Globe reporter.

(Sorry all, Shaughnessy's name reminded me.)

1951Campbell
06-15-2005, 08:51 AM
He made the remark to Gordon Edes the beat writer of the Globe.

CHB is of course
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/05/17/1116358947_2206.jpg
Dan Shaughnessy

Edes, that's it! Thanks. I remember the damnedest quotes...

SOXintheBURGH
06-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Now selling tickets for the first ever "Shaughnessy vs. Mariotti Ultimate Media Troll Fighting Championship."