PDA

View Full Version : Providence columnist wonders why White Sox ignored

Fenway
06-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Not all curses are created equal. We're about to find that out this weekend.

For some reason, in the last 20 or so years the Red Sox and the Cubs found themselves designated as baseball's "cursed" franchises.

I say "for some reason" because the White Sox have a championship drought, going back to 1917, which is longer than the one the Red Sox snapped last October and almost as long as the Cubs' current streak, which started in 1908. Yet you hardly ever hear their name mentioned in this conversation.

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20050611_11amcol.203958c.html

don't shoot him because he ends with this

I'll be rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series soon, though it doesn't look like it'll happen this year. With all due respect to the folks who run the Red Sox, baseball's better off without this mystic mumbo-jumbo. One curse is gone; it'll be great to get rid of another one.

Then we can turn our attention to the White Sox.

Art Martone is sports editor of the Providence Journal.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I'll never understand why these newspapers want you to register, unless it's to sell lists of valid email addresses to spammers.

I won't register, so I couldn't read it.

SoxFan78
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
I'll never understand why these newspapers want you to register, unless it's to sell lists of valid email addresses to spammers.

Go to bugmenot.com. They have email addresses/passwords that you can use to get into these newspaper sites

dividedsk717
06-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Not all curses are created equal. We're about to find that out this weekend.

For some reason, in the last 20 or so years the Red Sox and the Cubs found themselves designated as baseball's "cursed" franchises.

I say "for some reason" because the White Sox have a championship drought, going back to 1917, which is longer than the one the Red Sox snapped last October and almost as long as the Cubs' current streak, which started in 1908. Yet you hardly ever hear their name mentioned in this conversation.

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20050611_11amcol.203958c.html

don't shoot him because he ends with this

I'll be rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series soon, though it doesn't look like it'll happen this year. With all due respect to the folks who run the Red Sox, baseball's better off without this mystic mumbo-jumbo. One curse is gone; it'll be great to get rid of another one.

Then we can turn our attention to the White Sox.

Art Martone is sports editor of the Providence Journal.

I didn't read the article, but maybe this guy should ask himself this question. He's had two opportunities per year to write about how the White Sox don't get mentioned in all this curse nonsense, but yet, waits until the Red Sox play the Cubs to write the story.

Fenway
06-13-2005, 06:20 PM
I didn't read the article, but maybe this guy should ask himself this question. He's had two opportunities per year to write about how the White Sox don't get mentioned in all this curse nonsense, but yet, waits until the Red Sox play the Cubs to write the story.

He has in the past when the White Sox in Boston.

Baby Fisk
06-13-2005, 06:30 PM
The only writer from Providence worth reading is Howard Phillips Lovecraft. :cool:

TDog
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM

I'm with you.