PDA

View Full Version : Looking (way) Ahead:Cubs Series Probables...

WhiteSoxFan84
06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Unless Dusty Baker switches things around, Ozzie Guillen changes things because of the two off days in the next two weeks, Kerry Wood makes his return in the next week or two (highly unlikely), or any injuries, this is what the probables look like for the June 24-26 White Sox/Cubs series...

John Koronka vs. Freddy Garcia
Sergio Mitre vs. Jose Contreras
Greg Maddux vs. Orlando Hernandez

Anyone know where I can purchase a BROOM?

TheOldRoman
06-13-2005, 03:23 PM
The Cubs are going to throw their top three pitchers at the Sox, no matter what. Baker realizes the Cubs are a joke, and in the eyes of the loveable fanbase, the only thing that will save their inevitable 75 win season is beating the White Sox. I dont care how hot the Cubs have been lately, they still will finish no higher than 3rd. Dusty messed with his rotation the first series to get his top three against our bottom three. He will do it again. No way in hell we face Mitre or Koronka

samram
06-13-2005, 03:31 PM
The Cubs are going to throw their top three pitchers at the Sox, no matter what. Baker realizes the Cubs are a joke, and in the eyes of the loveable fanbase, the only thing that will save their inevitable 75 win season is beating the White Sox. I dont care how hot the Cubs have been lately, they still will finish no higher than 3rd. Dusty messed with his rotation the first series to get his top three against our bottom three. He will do it again. No way in hell we face Mitre or Koronka

Well, that would mean Dusty would have to change things up this week, and there's been no indication he's going to do that. They still think they have a chance to contend and the Sox aren't really in their way other than those three games. Therefore, they aren't going to make drastic changes to beat the Sox. At least, I hope not. I would love to see those three guys out there against the South Siders.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, that would mean Dusty would have to change things up this week, and there's been no indication he's going to do that. They still think they have a chance to contend and the Sox aren't really in their way other than those three games. Therefore, they aren't going to make drastic changes to beat the Sox. At least, I hope not. I would love to see those three guys out there against the South Siders.

yeh, dusty won't have the luxury of changing anything. the cubs only have 1 day off remaining this month and it's this thursday. unless he wants to skip zambrano's turn in the rotation on friday, he won't be able to do anything else. and he won't DARE throw anybody on 3-days rest after all the criticism he's been receiving. koronka, mitre, and maddux will face the marlins, zambrano, rusch, and koronka will face the yankees. take it from there all the way to koronka, mitre, maddux against us. the only thing they can do is rush kerry wood back and have him skip 1-2 minor league rehab starts.

delben91
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Personally, I don't care who the Cubs throw out there. I'm making the flight out from the East Coast for the Saturday and Sunday games, and I just can't wait to see the Sox in person for the first time this season. :D:

MIgrenade
06-13-2005, 05:10 PM
I personally don't care if Wood starts. He'll lose and get hurt. Prior I might be concerned about but he probably won't be rushed back.
The Cubs have been better without these guys anyway, so really we are going to face their best this year even if it isn't Prior and Wood.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
:lynch&mcfail "Karchner and Alfonseca seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect...."

StillMissOzzie
06-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I understand that Carrie Woods is probably going to make 2 rehab starts for the AAA I-Cubs. If those starts were ASAP, they'd probably be tomorrow (6/15) and 5 days later (6/20). As I type this I have no idea if the I-Cubs even have games on those dates. But, under this ASAP scenario, and if all went well, Carrie would be available to pitch vs. the Sox on 6/25. I'd just as soon have the Sox kick ass on the best the sCrUBS have to offer, and if Carrie it is, then bring it!

Edit: Carrie Woods' first rehab start will be TONIGHT (6/13), and the I-Cubs do play on 6/18 as well, so if all goes well, he could be back for the 6/23 game vs. the Brewers of the 6/24 game vs. the Sox

SMO
:gulp:

MUsoxfan
06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
I really wanted to see Buehrle in the series, but I'll take our 3 against their 3 (or any other team's 3) for any series.

Chisox003
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Once again, they avoid our top 2 guys....

I would have loved to see a Garland, Buehrle, Garcia 3 day set up, but I really dont think it matters....

Who in the hell is Koronka?

MUsoxfan
06-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Who in the hell is Koronka?

I do believe he's the guy that got his ass handed to him tonight.

shoota
06-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Unless Dusty Baker switches things around, Ozzie Guillen changes things because of the two off days in the next two weeks, Kerry Wood makes his return in the next week or two (highly unlikely), or any injuries, this is what the probables look like for the June 24-26 White Sox/Cubs series...

Great idea for a thread. We all know that Baker is so concerned about Chicago's and major league baseball's best White Sox, that he will juggle his rotation for the Sox/Cubs series. He did it last Sox/Cubs series by setting target return dates for Todd Walker and Joe Borowski for the series against the MLB-best White Sox. Baker also gave Zambrano one extra day of rest so he would be available to face the MLB-best White Sox on the first game of the intracity series.

Keeping with Baker's strategy, I've been expecting him to bring Carrie Wood back for the second series against the MLB-best White Sox. Baker will never let Koronka and Mitre face the MLB-best White Sox. He has such an inferiority complex that he will juggle his rotation so that Chicago's best team will have to face his better starters.

Foulke You
06-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Hmmm..Game 3, methinks Maddux + Warm Weather + Comiskey Park=

:dinger

But we'll wait and see. I don't want to jinx it. However, we did touch up "Mad Dog" for 7 or 8 runs last year at home if memory serves me right.

Mr. White Sox
06-14-2005, 01:22 AM
I wish Shawn Estes were still on the Flubs; we would've killed him :smile:.

Carrie Wood made a rehab start today; he could be back for the series against the MLB-Best Chicago White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mitre, Maddux, Wood, or if Dusty wants to be all crazy, Wood/Mitre/Maddux. Meh, we'll see.

MUsoxfan
06-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Carrie Wood made a rehab start today; he could be back for the series against the MLB-Best Chicago White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mitre, Maddux, Wood, or if Dusty wants to be all crazy, Wood/Mitre/Maddux. Meh, we'll see.

I hope Carrie is back. He and his huge ERA throw the meatballs this team loves to hit.

DrCrawdad
06-14-2005, 07:02 AM
yeh, dusty won't have the luxury of changing anything. the cubs only have 1 day off remaining this month and it's this thursday. unless he wants to skip zambrano's turn in the rotation on friday, he won't be able to do anything else. and he won't DARE throw anybody on 3-days rest after all the criticism he's been receiving. koronka, mitre, and maddux will face the marlins, zambrano, rusch, and koronka will face the yankees. take it from there all the way to koronka, mitre, maddux against us. the only thing they can do is rush kerry wood back and have him skip 1-2 minor league rehab starts.

From today's Sun-Times:
But Koronka might not start again before Wood is ready to return. With Thursday a day off for the club, the Cubs can juggle a four-man rotation if they choose and keep Koronka out of the firing line for the near future.

Iwritecode
06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I just heard on the radio yesterday that Baker switched Koronka and Rusch around because supposedly "Koronka wasn't ready to pitch a Sunday night Game of the Week".

I have this feeling that he's doing whatever he can to get Zambrano, Maddux and possibly Wood against the Sox...

samram
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I just heard on the radio yesterday that Baker switched Koronka and Rusch around because supposedly "Koronka wasn't ready to pitch a Sunday night Game of the Week".

I have this feeling that he's doing whatever he can to get Zambrano, Maddux and possibly Wood against the Sox...

That's fine. Maddux is getting close to meat status, especially against an AL team, and Wood will just walk everyone and probably get hurt again.

Foulke You
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Wood and Maddux would be fine with me. The guy I don't want the Sox to face is Glendon Rusch. He made us look silly last year on July 4th.:(:

Iwritecode
06-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I just looked at the Cubs schedule. They have a series with the Brewers right before and right after the Sox series.

Does anyone think Baker is dumb enough to set up his best pitchers to go against the Sox and not against the division rivals???

If Wood only makes two minor league starts and stays on a normal schedule (4 days of rest between starts), he would pitch on the 23rd against the Brewers.

If they also use the off-day to skip Koronka, then 1 or 2 pitchers will have to go on 3-days rest. That might put Mitre, Maddux and Zambrano against the Sox.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out...

PeteWard
06-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Koronka has just been sent down so that throws everything off. While I think the Sox would have crushed him, whatever fresh meat they bring up should be equally easy.

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. White Sox]I wish Shawn Estes were still on the Flubs; we would've killed him :smile:.[QUOTE]

Umm...we just faced Estes in the Arizona series and couldn't do squat against him. :?:

hawkjt
06-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the cubs are bringing up newly acquired ex-Giant pitcher Jerome Williams from Iowa to pitch on Tues. which I would imagine could mean he would go on Sunday. Big kid with a lot of heat. another newbie that could present problems for the sox.

ShoelessJoeS
06-16-2005, 03:06 PM

damn, those lucky bastards are gonna miss buehrle again. hopefully the cubans can kick it into high gear and put together two successful outings

WhiteSoxFan84
06-20-2005, 12:37 PM
OK, I'm going to give this another try as we are a few days away from the series and I have a better idea of what's going on...

Friday - Sergio Mitre vs. Freddy Garcia
Saturday - Greg Maddux vs. Jose Contreras
Sunday* - Jerome Williams vs. Jon Garland

* = this matchup can be completely different. If Ozzie Guillen sticks with a strict order, Brandon McCarthy will be pitching Sunday. But, he has the option to start Garland on Sunday as the Sox have an off day on Thursday and Garland would be pitching on regular rest. I'm guessing McCarthy's start tonight determines whether he will be skipped next time around or if he will pitch. The Cubs can also change their starting pitcher if Jerome Williams gets hit real hard tomorrow night. Rich Hill is a possibility for the Sunday game for the Cubs.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Jerome Williams vs. the White Sox in 2003: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 4 SO

Numbers look decent but look at the guys he faced:

Daubach, Jimenez, Olivo, Valentin, Rios, Lee, Crede, Thomas, and Konerko. Only 3 of those guys are still on the team.

Podsednik vs. Williams last year: 1/3, 1 R, 1 SB

Palehose13
06-20-2005, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. White Sox]I wish Shawn Estes were still on the Flubs; we would've killed him :smile:.[QUOTE]

Umm...we just faced Estes in the Arizona series and couldn't do squat against him. :?:

You beat me to it. :cool:

Mr. White Sox
06-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Yes, I understand that, I posted that right after the Estes game that I attended. I was referring to the game when Estes was on the Cubs; I believe Miguel Olivo hit a GS and Estes was pulled after like 3 innings (6ER or something).