PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hulett / Greg Walker -- any memories?

cheeses_h_rice
11-15-2001, 04:23 PM
I've been looking at the great baseball-reference.com site while bored at work, and came across this handy positional reference guide to the White Sox:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/pos.shtml

Granted, I was not the most diehard of baseball fans in the '80s, but two names simply do not ring a bell with me at all: Tim Hulett (3B from '83-'87) and Greg Walker (1B from '82-'89). Any of you old-timers have any distinct memories of these 2 players, good or bad? It's just odd to me that they played for several years on the Sox, and I'm sure I saw 'em in person more than once, but I just have no recollection of either of these guys.

oldcomiskey
11-15-2001, 05:16 PM
Tim Hulett was almost like a poor mans Tony Graffanino---good glove--decent bat--played anywhere in the IF--and Greg Walker was so good that if he headnt have gotten sick(he had a seizure on the field) that we might not have drafted Frank Thomas unless they had intended on suring up a weak DH position at the time... remember that Harold was in texas and Oakland during this time

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Tim Hulett was almost like a poor mans Tony Graffanino---good glove--decent bat--played anywhere in the IF--and Greg Walker was so good that if he headnt have gotten sick(he had a seizure on the field) that we might not have drafted Frank Thomas unless they had intended on suring up a weak DH position at the time... remember that Harold was in texas and Oakland during this time

Yea, Greg Walker, great swing, damn seizures ended his career.

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 06:43 PM
When Walker and Kittle played in Vancouver they became friends with Wayne Gretsky. He'd attend sox games when in Chi. Don't know if he's still a sox fan.

oldcomiskey
11-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Kittle could hit---fomer ROY too--we had 2 in 3 years--with Guillen too. Greg Walker had the sweetest swing for a lefty that Ive seen in awhile....Damn shame--but we wouldnt have gotten Frank and Walker wouldve retired by now...still I miss the big man from Douglas, Ga....

czalgosz
11-15-2001, 07:23 PM
I think they still use old video of Walker's swing for instructional videos. He was one of my favorites as a kid. I still have my '83 Western Conference champions mug - remember Salome Barojas? Juan Agosto? Jerry Dybzinski? What a team...

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I think they still use old video of Walker's swing for instructional videos. He was one of my favorites as a kid. I still have my '83 Western Conference champions mug - remember Salome Barojas? Juan Agosto? Jerry Dybzinski? What a team...

Dybzinski in no man's land between 2nd and 3rd, what might have been.

Vsahajpal
Any of you old-timers have any distinct memories of these 2 players, good or bad?

I recall making rounds with my dad at Christ Hospital and he took me up to see none other than Greg Walker. That was back in 88-89, when the Hawk was my favorite player, but Walker soon eclipsed Sandberg, just because I got a chance to talk with him. Impressionable, wasn't I?

I recall him being a decent power hitter, sort of like a Tino Martinez.

Then he got traded to Baltimore, and I've been trying to find myself ever since, lol.

oldcomiskey
Britt Burns--what a performance against Baltimore until Tito Landrum---Tony Bernazard was at 2b until baylor ruined him and we got Julio Cruz--Vance Law played third--- Bull was DH---Rudy Law in CF--Baines in RF--those were the days--Tony Larussa and dave duncan and MAN what pitching

duke of dorwood
11-15-2001, 08:47 PM
What a contact guy Walker was. Glove too. With him and Kittle, I thought we were set for years. Then we add a Seaver to the staff, things were as rosey as Lamarr Hoyt's nose.

RedPinStripes
11-15-2001, 09:40 PM
One of my all time favorite Sox players that is rarly mentioned was Richard Dotson. Wonder why no one from that team had ever been mentioned for a possible pitching coach for the Sox? Maybe jerry didn't like the site of the clubhouse the day after they clinched the division in 83. From what I have read, most of the team slept in the clubhose after a long night of beer, whiskey, marajuana, and cocain for a select few. My kind of team!
Bunch of party animals that can play great baseball.

stefaninsane
11-15-2001, 10:00 PM
Do you think any current Sox are into the nose candy?

Spiff
11-15-2001, 10:51 PM
What is with you uploading huge pictures of drugs?

I don't get it.

RedPinStripes
11-15-2001, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if any of these guy now do that kind of thing. I would hope not.

I myself. lose resect for people that do the nose candy. I just prefer to drink ice cold bolttled beer. As long as it doesn't say Budwieser Schlitz, Mikaukee's Best, or Kestone on it.

Daver
11-15-2001, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
I'm not sure if any of these guy now do that kind of thing. I would hope not.

I myself. lose resect for people that do the nose candy. I just prefer to drink ice cold bolttled beer. As long as it doesn't say Budwieser Schlitz, Mikaukee's Best, or Kestone on it.

What have you got against Schlitz? It is one of the true American pioneer beers,and still enjoyed in taverns throughout Wis. and Minn.as well as enlightened places here in the midwest.

RedPinStripes
11-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by daver

What have you got against Schlitz? It is one of the true American pioneer beers,and still enjoyed in taverns throughout Wis. and Minn.as well as enlightened places here in the midwest.

I was forced to drink it when that's all my father had in the house. Never liked it. I couldn't wait till he had some old style sitting around. Then I had to start buying him beer.

Wisconsin and Minnesota? Please give me a better example. They'll drink motor oil if they run out of beer up there.

Daver
11-15-2001, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

I was forced to drink it when that's all my father had in the house. Never liked it. I couldn't wait till he had some old style sitting around. Then I had to start buying him beer.

Wisconsin and Minnesota? Please give me a better example. They'll drink motor oil if they run out of beer up there.

They never run out of beer in those states,I know,I spend a lot of time there right about this time of year.

LongDistanceFan
11-16-2001, 02:23 AM
i remember the athleticism of julio cruz, he was the rey, the ss of the mets, of second base..... i still remember his diving stops or his turning a double play while jumping very high over a sliding runner........

greg walker and ron kittle was known as the clark kent and superman, as a nickname......... walker had a great swing, even tho i never saw it. maybe that is why i never turned out to be a great hitter in hs.

the sox had an "IF" who was a great utility player, name mike something. was great and i always thought why they never played him more........

longshot7
11-16-2001, 04:46 AM
Mike Squires?

yeah, I remember Hulett. Me and my best friend Neal totally idolized him and would always try to steal bases like him in the little leagues. He was a sparkplug.

and my favorite pitcher from 83 was Floyd Bannister. the man!

LongDistanceFan
11-16-2001, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
Mike Squires?

that is him.............