PDA

View Full Version : Who genuinely saw this coming?

CubsSuckSoBad
06-13-2005, 09:17 AM
With how good the Sox have been, I wanted to know who saw the sox having a great season and a chance to contend for the pennant....

I know I did; maybe not this spectacular so far, but I drafted the 5 white sox starters in my fantasy league weeks before the season started....I'm in first place because of it...

Faith since the beginning of time....

Cubbiesuck13
06-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I was excited just to be able to watch good solid baseball. I didn't think we would be in first right now let alone have the best record in the MLB.

I too drafted SOX heavy in FB but not because I knew we would be this good. I figured PK is good for HRs and RBIs and MB is good for a good WHIP and ERA. I picked up Hermy a month ago. Got stuck with Uribe but made a trade for Jeter. Uribe is sharing time with McPherson at third. I wanted Pods and Iguchi but I didn't have a live draft and never though someone would rate them higher than I did on the auto thingy. I just though it would be fun to follow my team while watching my SOX.

Madvora
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I was considering taking the entire year off if they came back with that same crap for a 5th year in a row. All I wanted was them to make a change in the team structure because I knew it would lead to positive results. I expected them to do better then the teams of the last few years, but I would imagine that everyone is pleasantly surprised with the start the Sox have had this year.

rdwj
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
I thought they would contend for the AL Central - and that was enough to keep me interested. I didn't think they would be as good as they are and seriously doubt anyone who claims that they did.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2005, 09:34 AM
I thought they would contend for the AL Central - and that was enough to keep me interested. I didn't think they would be as good as they are and seriously doubt anyone who claims that they did.

I pretty much agree. Because Detroit, KC and Cleveland are so weak, I knew the Sox had a good shot at the division and therefore a chance to win 90 games. I always pick them to win the division, but I thought it would be a dogfight with the Twins until the end (and it looks to be shaping up that way). I just didn't think they would be 20+ games over .500 in the middle of June and have the best record in the MLB.

:supernana:

1951Campbell
06-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Once the rotation was set, I told friends that I was "cautiously optimistic," and I envisioned a race where the Twins and Sox would be close all year and either one or the other would win the division with, oh, about 92-94 wins. Now it seems like the Sox could win 105, the Twins 99, and the two best teams in the A.L. will come out of the Central. Now, certainly I didn't see that coming.

downstairs
06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
If anyone did predict this, then they were just guessing. I have to believe its a surprise to everyone, all the way up to KW and JR.

In the past, we had an unbalanced team of sluggers. Everyone predicted them to do great things, but that lack of balance- while exciting on paper- never works out in the end.

I was happy they made major, smart, difficult changes. And with those changes I saw the Sox in a dogfight with the Twins and Indians... all maybe 1-2 games within each other in the end.

downstairs
06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Because Detroit, KC and Cleveland are so weak

I, personally, didn't think Cleveland was weak before opening day. Lots of great rookies last year, I thought they'd be right there with us and MIN.

Oh, well!

elrod
06-13-2005, 10:00 AM
I am as surprised at our success as I am at Cleveland's failure. John Kruk actually made a good point on BBTN that the Pirates should be happy to be at .500. The Indians should be disappointed. The Twins are right where I thought they'd be, as are the Tigers and Royals.

harwar
06-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I think a lot of us saw this coming.I can't recall a spring training with so much optimism as this past one.
Especially after we got Iguchi.
Now,i don't think anyone thought that we would have a .667 winning percentage(WOW) on june 13th,but i think most of us knew we were going to be a more solid and well-rounded team.
Also,the fantasy baseball bug ran its course with me a couple of years back,but in 2000 i picked White Sox players at every position(much to the chagrin of my fellow players) and was champion in three leagues.

downstairs
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Now,i don't think anyone thought that we would have a .667 winning percentage(WOW) on june 13th

And even if they did, they'd be shocked... because we actually have a .677 record!

:cool:

infohawk
06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I thought that they would be improved, but I can't honestly say that I expected them to be as good as they are. First and foremost, I liked the guys they acquired. I was also excited about the transition of play from station-to-station baseball to a more aggresive, pitching, defense and contact hitting approach. The thought also occured to me that, if they came up short, at least it would be for reasons other than those that plagued the team from 2001-2004.

Palehose13
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
With the changes that were made in the offseason, I was confident that the Sox would win the division. So confident, that I bought partial season tickets (even though I really can't afford it and am suffering a bit now because of it) and made sure that I got the last two home games vs. Minnesota...so I can be there for the clincher.

So yeah, I knew that they were gonna be good. I'm a little surprised at HOW good they are, but I did believe in January...and that was BEFORE Iguchi (I got my ST package at SoxFest).

I'm not lying because I wouldn't have bought ST if I thought otherwise. The reason why I bought them was to get playoff tickets.

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I picked the Sox to win the WS in the pre-season pediction thread, but I admit I did it from the heart and not the head. I knew the team was going to be more balanced. I pretty much pegged the problems that would confront the team scoring wise (but a lot of people did). I did not think our starters would be this good. Obviously I am ecstatic over Garland's numbers figuring him more as a 15 win pitcher on the season and now he might have that by August. Contreras and El Duque were also question marks for different reasons, but they still gave the Sox more talent and depth in the rotation than at any time since 1994. Heck, just having 5 solid starters seemed like a huge step up.

Iguchi has blown me away and the defense has been better than it has been in my memory. The infield has sick range and even with his boneheaded plays early on, Dye has solidified an already fast outfield.

No, I didn't expect them to be this good, but obviously I saw the potential if everything went well. This team still isn't playing as well as it can. With the addition of Frank and the resurgence of Dye, Everett, Konerko and to a lesser extent Crede, this team has everything it takes to go a long long way in the playoffs. Still, I am pleased but not shocked at how well the team is performing.

spiffie
06-13-2005, 10:47 AM
On another board I predicted the Sox to win the AL Central, to beat the Yankees in the ALDS, and to lose in 7 to the Red Sox in the ALCS. But I admit I really didn't much believe it when I said it. This whole season has just been :gulp: :bandance:

samram
06-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I actually thought the offense would be pretty good because they wouldn't go into slumps together (as the teams of the last few years did) and because they could score in different ways. I also thought the bullpen would be good (mostly because I thought Vizcaino and Shingo would be lights out, but I'll take what's happened instead). I didn't expect Garland or Contreras to be as good as they have been, but pleasant surprises are always welcome. Just hope they keep it going.

The Racehorse
06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I did from the standpoint of acquisitions of solid-proven names like Hermanson, A.J., and Dye, combined with the prospect of the Cubans being solid along with expections of Pods hitting for a decent average, while hoping Tadahito would work out, as we all waited on Big Frank's return not to mention keeping our fingers crossed for no major injuries...

*taking a deep breath*

... yeah, I did. :bandance:

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
GoSox 41 asked basically the same question in March. My reply was that it was impossible to even make an educated guess because the Sox transformed themselves so radically.

I said they would either win 90+ games and stay in contention because the new philosophy worked or they'd fall apart and win 75.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
06-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally, I thought that this team would be good... but if someone were to tell me that they would have the best record in baseball on June 13, I would be pretty skeptical. Iguchi has been a pleasant surprise, but the biggest surprise, for me at least, has been Jose Contreras. I would have never thought that he would get his act together and put up a season like he has. He was proved me dead wrong in just about every prediction I made about him, and I sure am happy he has.

:bandance:

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
i knew they would be in first place, but honestly, they far exceeded my expectations, through the first couple months that is...well see how the rest of the season pans out

Jjav829
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I actually thought the offense would be pretty good because they wouldn't go into slumps together (as the teams of the last few years did) and because they could score in different ways. I also thought the bullpen would be good (mostly because I thought Vizcaino and Shingo would be lights out, but I'll take what's happened instead). I didn't expect Garland or Contreras to be as good as they have been, but pleasant surprises are always welcome. Just hope they keep it going.

This is pretty close to what I felt. I really like the fact that we had what I thought was a very solid 1-9. I figured Crede batting #9 would hit about .270-.275 with 20 HRs and thought that was an example of how solid our lineup would be. After struggling for a while, it seems like the offense might be coming close to showing this solid 1-9. I thought the bullpen would be very good, though I thought Vizcaino would be a large part of the success of the bullpen. I never thought Hermanson would pitch like he has so far. I thought Garland would be improved, though obviously I didn't think he'd be this good.

gobears1987
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I got a ton of Sox guys in FB:
JC, JG, Hermie, Uribe (only bad one), Dye (picked him up when he started getting hot in mid May), Pods, Iguchi, and Rowand

Palehose13
06-13-2005, 02:13 PM
GoSox 41 asked basically the same question in March. My reply was that it was impossible to even make an educated guess because the Sox transformed themselves so radically.

I said they would either win 90+ games and stay in contention because the new philosophy worked or they'd fall apart and win 75.

Lip

You definitely did write this. I'm hoping that your first guess is the right one.

hawkjt
06-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I thought they would drop to third or worse without CLee and Maggs. I was lowballing the starters ,I guess.

I still think we would have won with a healthy team the last three years with this staff.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-13-2005, 02:19 PM
actually, according to this....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43646

.... a lot of you saw this coming. i also saw the future :smile:

Sxy Mofo
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I predicted a division win, but not the best record in baseball for the entire year. I thought it would take some time to get the team going. I was just happy about the fact that while there would be a lot less 10+ run games, there was going to be less 0 and 1 run games. And while the sox have had a number of 2,3,4 run games, they've got the pitching to come out on top.

HebrewHammer
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
No, I didn't see the best record in baseball coming. I thought we'd compete with the Twins and finally take the division in a tremendous pennant race.

I just love that we've 28 wins away from Steve Philips prediction of 70 wins and its only halfway through June.

I also can't wait to see clowns like Kruk and Brantley eat their words come September. You know, the reason their suits look so tight on the air is because they want to hide the clown outfits.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Once KW picked up AJ, Duque, and Gucci with the remainders of the Lee/Pods deal, I knew we'd win around 90 games. The lineup and the rotation both became so much more solid vs. last year's with those acquisitions.

What I didn't expect was the all-around great performance of the rotation - especially Contreras.

OEO Magglio
06-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I thought the sox were going to be very good but obviously they've done much better then anyone could possibly imagine. I predicted 95 wins though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Here's the official 2005 prediction thread posted by voodoochile: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46940

I had the sox winning 94 games and winning it all in the playoffs. One thing that's funny though is my ERA leader prediction of Luis Vizcaino. Was that supposed to be the highest ERA?

mweflen
06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46940&page=1&pp=15&highlight=preseason+prediction

The official preseason prediction thread. So you can see who really saw it coming. :D:

(I pegged them for 89 wins, Iguchi as the BA leader, and Contreras as the worst of the rotation)

The Racehorse
06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
I actually had predicted 101 wins... I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being 110 wins... seriously though, one game at a time... one game at a time. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
I do not recall posting in that predictions thread; however, I was under the impression that this team would win anywhere between 85-95 games this season...At this rate, they are going to exceed my expectations, and I think the unsung hero here is the guy at the top of our lineup. The acquisition of Scott Podsednik, a guy who baffles the opposing pitchers, was definitely the key acquisition here, IMHO.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46940&page=1&pp=15&highlight=preseason+prediction

The official preseason prediction thread. So you can see who really saw it coming. :D:

(I pegged them for 89 wins, Iguchi as the BA leader, and Contreras as the worst of the rotation)

jesus christ, compare our two predictions (im on page 3). we had like 2 differences (i had hermanson for lowest era, you had shingo / i had rowand for highest BA, you had iguci). scary...... :?:

MERPER
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I was excited at the prospect of not playing homerun derby everyday and seeing a real team... But, I think for anyone to say that they expected us to be 42-20 after 6 games is a flat-out lie....

I thought and hoped we would contend for the division, but this is better than anyone could have expected!

I do believe this team has a shot at winning it all in 2005 and have already purchased a victory cigar and bottle of champagne to enjoy if they do so.

MRKARNO
06-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm on record as saying that this is a team that could win 75 or win 100, depending on how things work out. My official prediction was for about 85 wins and a second place finish because I wasn't sure that the pitching staff could come together the way it has. Individually, none of the performances have surprised me, but it has come as a surprise that they have all done it at once.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 03:30 PM
jesus christ, compare our two predictions (im on page 3). we had like 2 differences (i had hermanson for lowest era, you had shingo / i had rowand for highest BA, you had iguci). scary...... :?:

Well, a lot of my thoughts were based on past performance. props to you for having Hermanson as your low ERA man! (though, looks like it might eventually be Politte... by new favorite bullpen guy...)

I just knew that based on lineup balance alone, they would improve on last year's 83 wins by a fair amount (in the 85-95 range). This is what made the uninformed mediot preditcions (some as low as 73 wins/4th place) so galling. Any idiot could have told you that the Sox would make at least some improvement based on their acquisitions.

But yes. 42-20 at this point would have warranted the deepest pink you could find :D: Although I must say, my MVP 2005 record on Xbox was pretty similar by this juncture... so I saw it coming...:redneck

ondafarm
06-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Can't say I saw the whole shooting match come together but several things I did say clearly before the season:

1) Iguchi - solid fundamentals player, good number two hitter, I thought his avergae would start a shade lower but then he'd adjust and hit right about .300

2) Starting pitching would solidify. With the pressure off of Garland I thought he'd improve. He's surprised even me, but I figured he'd be considerably better than .500.

3) Pods - saw the best leadoff man in recent Sox memory coming a mile away. Ozzie has used him perfectly.

4) Solid defense - improve the defense in the center of the field (catcher, 2B, SS and CF) and it will always pay dividends.

5) Dye. Knew he always starts slow and comes around.

6) Shingo. Always starts slow. Thought Oz would have more confidence and use him better.

On the other hand,

1) their record, 22 games over, I thought maybe by the All-Star break, if then.

2) Carl Everett. I didn't think he had it in him.

3) Frank. Thought he'd be back sooner.

4) Ozuna. I thought the Sox would have kept Valdez.
5) Hermanson - thought he'd be a hold over.

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I participated in a couple of pre-season polls. I picked us for something like 91 or 92 wins. So I guess I was one who bought in early, although I know I was writing about all the question marks at the same time.

delben91
06-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I wasn't even close. I was in the 83-87 wins area, expecting the lower end. Maybe it was all the "what if they don't mesh" questions in my mind. Maybe I thought the Twins were being taken far too lightly. Whatever it was though, I never, ever saw this coming, but was going to watch all 162 all the same in case I was wrong.

I've been wrong often in my life, but never with so joyous an outcome as with the 2005 Chicago White Sox.

TaylorStSox
06-13-2005, 05:08 PM
It's only June. It's still way too early to think that preseason predictions will hold up.

elrod
06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
It's amazing how many people said Garland would lead the team in losses (it could still happen, of course, but nobody thought he'd contend for most wins too). And nobody foresaw Shingo's meltdown. The other predictions are, well, predictable. Most people predicted about 90 wins. If go .500 the rest of the way we end up with 92 wins. That would be a major disappointment, if you ask me.

The Wall
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Am I greedy? I miss waking up each morning and looking at the Sox winning pct of .700. It only takes 4 games to reach that mark though :D: The Sox have been playing pretty much .500 ball since starting out 27-7. And to still lead this by 5.5 games shows what a great start will do. Anyone who says April doesnt matter should be hung upside down and have their throads slit in two:bandance:

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I do believe this team has a shot at winning it all in 2005 and have already purchased a victory cigar

Is it a Fine Cuban? :wink:

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Any idiot could have told you that the Sox would make at least some improvement based on their acquisitions.

The following didn't think so:
Jeff Brantley(IDIOT)
John Kruk(IDIOT)
Steve Phillips(IDIOT)
Harold Reynolds(IDIOT)
Peter Gammons(IDIOT)
...etc,etc,etc
Like the Energizer bunny,the list keeps going and going and going and going...:redneck

mweflen
06-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Not so amazing to peg Garland as the loss leader - he averaged something like 12 a season for 4 straight.

The list of uninformed idiot commentators who pooh-poohed the white sox (Typical quote: "They lost Magglio and CLee but only got Dye and Pods as a replacement") is indeed quite a big one. I hope they all enjoy their crow pie at the end of the year. Dumb mofos.

Realist
06-13-2005, 06:10 PM
I genuinely saw this coming and I have the guys that I'm in on season tickets with as my witnesses. They all thought I was nuts when I told them how good this team would be back in March.

I'm a lil' bit surprised by Garland. I predicted he'd be this good next year, not this year.

Sxy Mofo
06-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I do not recall posting in that predictions thread; however, I was under the impression that this team would win anywhere between 85-95 games this season...At this rate, they are going to exceed my expectations, and I think the unsung hero here is the guy at the top of our lineup. The acquisition of Scott Podsednik, a guy who baffles the opposing pitchers, was definitely the key acquisition here, IMHO.

The unsung hero? Perhaps at the beginning of the year people didn't know how important he'd be. But now that he's shown what he can do, people know how important to this team he is. Even out here in colorado for the series, everyone knew how important he was to the team and you could feel a buzz when he was on the bases.

Important? Definitely. Unsung? Not in my book.

Jurr
06-13-2005, 07:54 PM
There is a thread dedicated to pre-season predictions. Check 'em out. You'll see exactly how positive the fans were on this site.

VivaOzzie
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Well apparently I did, so Im told. A bunch of friends and I went up to Canada in the beginning of February. One night, after having a few too many cocktails, I apparently went on an hour-long rant on how the Sox were going to be sweet this year, how the cubs will suck again, and how the Tigers will still be mediocre. I was told that I was belligerently serious about how good we were going to be. Dont really remember it though...:gulp:

Reminds me of 83
06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
While I have been an eternally optimistic Sox Fan for 46 years, I never expected this. However, prior to the season, I told my four boys (all Sox fans) that Iguchi held the key to the season. His defense up the middle and his consistent hitting have made a real difference. The whole top of the order is not only productive, but fun to watch. So while I did not see this completely, I had a hunch.

By the way, I Love Hal Vickery. Once again, right on the mark w/ his observations on this past weekend.

Record w/ me (and my lucky green hat) in attendance 6-2.
Bring on the Cubs!!!!

Palehose13
06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
The unsung hero? Perhaps at the beginning of the year people didn't know how important he'd be. But now that he's shown what he can do, people know how important to this team he is. Even out here in colorado for the series, everyone knew how important he was to the team and you could feel a buzz when he was on the bases.

Important? Definitely. Unsung? Not in my book.

That's an understatement. Check out this thread:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42731&highlight=CLee+trade

I think the poll is misleading. If you read you'll see that most of the posters were very skeptical of Pods.

batmanZoSo
06-13-2005, 09:16 PM
I knew KW was building a winner. No doubt in my mind. I wouldn't have predicted best record in MLB, but first place for sure.

bludupree
06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I went with the 27-game plan instead of the 13-game because it offered playoff options. I knew we would have a great chance. Everyone laughed at me for that reasoning. Most people around here were very positive, but outside of here there were a lot of doubters. I also did a straight up wager with my budy who laughed and called me crazy 'cause SI and espn had them 4th in the AL central .

CubsSuckSoBad
06-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Carlos was my favorite Sox player and I was enraged after the trade....

It was supposed to be Konerko, but nobody wants his sorry ***...

If this season hadn't turned out the way it has so far, then I would have been pissed:angry: ...especially with Carlos leading the league in Rbi's....Its a good thing that we aren't having a bad season after that trade....

As long as we win, do what has to be done....