PDA

View Full Version : UD Question

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi guys! i'm gonna go to the Sox-Snakes game tonight in section 534 Row 7. How is the upper deck since they cut 8 rows off in 03-04? When i was there in 03 it felt like vertigo. How is it now?

DumpJerry
06-13-2005, 07:32 AM
It feels like Old Comiskey with the roof addition.

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 07:35 AM
thanks for the help DumpJerry, but im too young to remember sitting in the UD at old comiskey i was only 4 when they tore it down.

Cellview22
06-13-2005, 07:40 AM
It's still very steep. I don't think there's that much of a different feel when you're sitting up there looking down on the field. But the look of the UD has changed a lot. Behind the last row is a screen so you can look out and see the skyline. And you also have access to the Fundamentals deck. Great view from up there!

Hitmen77
06-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi guys! i'm gonna go to the Sox-Snakes game tonight in section 534 Row 7. How is the upper deck since they cut 8 rows off in 03-04? When i was there in 03 it felt like vertigo. How is it now?

Felt like vertigo from only Row 7? That really isn't that high up. Row 7 sect. 534 (which is practically behind homeplate) has always been a good seat with a great view of the game and the renovations have not changed that.

BUT, the feel in the UD is definitely better. The roof gives the UD a much more intimate feel and 1/3 of the highest seats are gone. Also, the UD concourse is much improved with a really cool pictoral collage running the length of the concourse.

I think the Sox 42-20 record makes the UD feel even better this year!:cool:

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 07:55 AM
2 years ago i was at sec. 521 row 14 that's what i meant. plus i'm afraid of heights :whiner:

Sad
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Row 7's not too bad... and 534 is right behind home plate IIRC... I'll be in Row 7 Sec. 546 this Sat. night...

cbone
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Those UD seats behind home plate are great. I think they're the best bargain at the park. With the expansion of the concourse everything you need is there. Enjoy!!

Cellview22
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
2 years ago i was at sec. 521 row 14 that's what i meant. plus i'm afraid of heights :whiner:

Just don't sit in the upper rows of section 506 by the railing..or lean over to catch a ball. :D:

soxtalker
06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I used to hate sitting in the UD; now I love it.

I went to a Monday night game about a month ago and made the mistake of asking for "best-available" half-price tickets. The LD was packed, and they gave me tickets in the left-field corner. I wished that I had asked for UD seats.

Last year, I went to a couple of games that were in cold, rainy conditions. The roof on the UD did a nice job of shielding us from the mist.

Yes, it is still steep. But the biggest problems I used to find were associated with the long climb. It was a real pain to walk down to the rest rooms and refreshments. And the vendors didn't seem to patrol the upper regions of the UD as much.

DannyCaterFan
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I am a season ticket holder in row 4 of section 531 (right behind home plate) or as I like to call them, "The Upper Deck Scout Seats". The view is great from there. All the action is right there in front of you. The upper deck is much better now that they knocked off those top rows and put a better roof overhead. Has more of a cozy feel to it. I know it is still very high up, but the price of the ticket is a bargain there.

ChicagoHoosier
06-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I am a season ticket holder in row 4 of section 531 (right behind home plate) or as I like to call them, "The Upper Deck Scout Seats". The view is great from there. All the action is right there in front of you. The upper deck is much better now that they knocked off those top rows and put a better roof overhead. Has more of a cozy feel to it. I know it is still very high up, but the price of the ticket is a bargain there.
Do you ever regret not being able to walk around the lower concourse, or as a season ticket holder are you allowed to go down there?

That's my biggest "drawback" of buying a seat in the UD is that if you're with someone who would like to walk around a little and check out the park, you can only see so much, right? I think the view is fine from up there in the first 6-7 rows.

StillMissOzzie
06-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Row 7 is not too high up, and you're very close to home plate. These are pretty good UD tix!

SMO
:gulp:

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I never had a problem with the ud pre-renovation like alot of people did. However, its MUCH better than it used to be. It kills me that people who rank ballparks and publish books on the subject still believe the hype about the upper deck. Go up there and form an opinion for yourself instead of letting others influence your perception.

SoxFan78
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I also have ST up in the upper deck and I have always had a great time. The only drawback is when the White Sox think that the game will not be at capacity and then will close half of the concession stands on the upper deck.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I was in sec 530 on memorial day, kind of right behind home plate. I thought the seats were great, you just can't judge fly balls very well. Awesome seats for the price, though

soxgirl617
06-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Do you ever regret not being able to walk around the lower concourse, or as a season ticket holder are you allowed to go down there?

That's my biggest "drawback" of buying a seat in the UD is that if you're with someone who would like to walk around a little and check out the park, you can only see so much, right? I think the view is fine from up there in the first 6-7 rows.

My season ticket rep said that season ticket holders can access all areas of the park. I don't have seats in the UD, so I haven't tested it, but that's my understanding.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
The renovation did nothing to the existing UD seats. They are all the same position, pitch, angle, height as before. If you didn't like the seats before because of vertigo or angle, you won't like them now.

The roof looks very nice, and covers more of the seats, which is a bonus when it rains.

The best addition to the UD is the windscreen on the outside of the park, and the historical murals on the interior wall. These cozy up the UD concourse to a significant degree.

I always sit in the UD, because it represents just about the only affordable section in the park. If I were to get a full season plan, 533 or 534 are the only sections I would consider, unless money was no object.

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
UD seats are not bad at all, in fact, any seat in the house is a good seat...as long as youre there thats all that matters

fox23
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM

For anyone who has UD season tickets, do they incorporate the half price Tuesdays for UD seats into your price or do you still pay full price for those games?

PatK
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I never had a problem with the ud pre-renovation like alot of people did. However, its MUCH better than it used to be. It kills me that people who rank ballparks and publish books on the subject still believe the hype about the upper deck. Go up there and form an opinion for yourself instead of letting others influence your perception.

:bandance:WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

The one thing I've noticed about the Cell is that most people that complain about it or have nothing good to say about it are people that have never been there.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
For anyone who has UD season tickets, do they incorporate the half price Tuesdays for UD seats into your price or do you still pay full price for those games?

You pay full price. sorry, suckers :smile:

Premium Upper deck seats cost $1455 for the full season, averaging $17.96.

Overall, the price is still lower than the average of 81 games with tiered pricing, however. It would cost $1738 to buy comparable single game tickets for all 81 games, averaging $21.45.