PDA

View Full Version : all these new wsi members...

chisox
06-13-2005, 01:00 AM
this question is for the wsi admins and hard-cores, the fans who've been on here forever.

have you guys noticed a spike in wsi membership in the last couple weeks in comparison to losing seasons, or, not as successful seasons?

if there hasn't been, one of you guys can delete this thread or give me the thumbs down, this thread sucks, pic.

but if so, how do guys feel about the newbies flooding this sacred community? you guys have been a part of this board for a while and now you have all these new people jumping on the board, do you guys resent it at all? i'm just curious, because there's a lot of talk here about cubs bandwagon jumpers, are we just as bad?

also, i realize that i recently registered, so i realize the irony in me asking the question. i'm just curious...i'm bracing for the thumbs down pic anyway.

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 01:10 AM
i havent been here for that long either. i just discovered this site in the offseason and was practically glued to it with all kennys wheelings and dealings. i finally grew a pair and registered and have loved every minute of it. i just feel lucky that countless sox fans feel the same passion for baseball as i do, and my only regret is that i didnt find this site years ago.

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2005, 01:13 AM
I have noticed a great insurgence of trolling

SoxFan928
06-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I read about WSI in the book "White Sox 1959-Present". I looked it up last November and started lurking. Last month, I joined up. I wish I had found out about it sooner, too. Great site - wish I had more time to post here.

Falstaff
06-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Hello- Have been rabid Sox fan since 1972 - south side polish.
Have been lurking for like 3 years. Just signed up. Trying to contribute
something positive as well as help our team win the world series. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes. I have always hated the other "team" in
town and I promise to watch my grammar.:gulp:

ilsox7
06-13-2005, 04:39 AM
I lurked since the inception of WSI and signed up a couple of years ago. IMO, things have drastically changed around here in the last year or so. Lots more people. Lots more psychotic, extremism.

hose
06-13-2005, 06:15 AM
this question is for the wsi admins and hard-cores, the fans who've been on here forever.

have you guys noticed a spike in wsi membership in the last couple weeks in comparison to losing seasons, or, not as successful seasons?

if there hasn't been, one of you guys can delete this thread or give me the thumbs down, this thread sucks, pic.

but if so, how do guys feel about the newbies flooding this sacred community? you guys have been a part of this board for a while and now you have all these new people jumping on the board, do you guys resent it at all? i'm just curious, because there's a lot of talk here about cubs bandwagon jumpers, are we just as bad?

also, i realize that i recently registered, so i realize the irony in me asking the question. i'm just curious...i'm bracing for the thumbs down pic anyway.

IMO WSI ususally rolls out the :welcome: sign to all non trolls.

I notice you are from Argentina, ever think of Gaucho Marx as a tag:cool:

Iguana775
06-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I lurked since the inception of WSI and signed up a couple of years ago. IMO, things have drastically changed around here in the last year or so. Lots more people. Lots more psychotic, extremism.

I've been around since the Rivals days.

I agree, it has gotten more :chickenlittle around here when ever there are loses and more :troll. I hope it doesnt get out of hand..and i'm sure it wont.

The Racehorse
06-13-2005, 07:08 AM
When I first joined, people got flamed all the time... and when I say flamed, I mean FLAMED. That's just my opinion, of course. Maybe it was a periphery effect of the old Politically Incorrect board.

I've been around since June 02 [under a different handle] and I personally think it's got allot better the last year or so... thanks to the good work of the Mods exterminating trolls. :thumbsup:

As for the influx of new members, more is better... right?

tschneid83
06-13-2005, 07:28 AM
I don't think it is bandwagon fans jumping on board. I was just browsing one day (bored at work) and was lucky enough to stumble onto this site. Been a sox fan my whole life and had no idea a site like this even existed. I have never seen WSI promoting its site (maybe they do, i dont know) which i am guessing is a way to keep the bandwagoners off of here. I am guessing that it is just sox fans looking for more info about the team and they stumble on to here, at least that is what i hope.

SOXintheBURGH
06-13-2005, 07:39 AM
About a year and a half ago someone posted this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/home.htm

In my fantasy league forum.. created by a WSI member, with a link to WSI.. Been a regular poster ever since. Many hours have been spent since then!

Kuzman
06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
ive been lurking this site for the last 3 years or so, signed up in the offseason prior to last and have just put my tidbits in here or there. I also agree this place is just going banana's with all the new people coming in. :bandance:

Cellview22
06-13-2005, 07:46 AM
It's nice that you can come here and not have to deal with the trolls that are out in full force everywhere else. I remember the 20th of December last year when the most users ever were online..almost 1200 at once. I think we'll beat that in just a few months from now! :bandance:

Baby Fisk
06-13-2005, 07:49 AM
WSI is approaching 5,000 members! The more the merrier. We are all Sox fans here. For those who aren't... a good troll killing is fun to witness.

(Maybe the Mods deserve a raise of at least 5-10% on their base WSI salary.) :cool:

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Cellview, if we exceed 1,198 in October and we're all poppin champagne and acting like damn fools, I would light up if we had 5K at the same time

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 09:30 AM
WSI is approaching 5,000 members! The more the merrier. We are all Sox fans here. For those who aren't... a good troll killing is fun to witness.

(Maybe the Mods deserve a raise of at least 5-10% on their base WSI salary.) :cool:

Cheap bastard... I deserve at least a 15% raise...:tongue:

Yes, there are more new members registering on a regular basis than at anytime in the past. It's almost gotten ridiculous. Of course that does mean more trolls, but I haven't seen any that last more than a short while. Sometimes they make it for a few hours by hiding their true intentions, but eventually they say something stupid and get banned.

BigEdWalsh
06-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I've been around on and off since the Rivals days (off only because for a couple of periods of time, I had no computer:redface: ). I love to see new members, the more the merrier.

I have a question about the number of members though. Does this include people who registered for example, one day like 3 years ago and haven't visited the site since? Looking over the Members List, I see some of those. Why aren't they deleted? Just curious.

Sxy Mofo
06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I joined at the "bandwagon" time, but I was welcomed here with open arms. Perhaps guys recognized me from the espn sox board, I dunno, but I don't see a lot of new member hate around here which is good. Although, i do hate the bandwagon fan. How do you know what the highs are if you're not with a team through the lows?

At the colorado series, there was two guy who asked me if the sox still had "maggiano oronlez". However, they were decked out in sox gear, and I saw them at all three games. So bandwagon or not, at least they were there supporting and cheering on the team.

Iwritecode
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Cheap bastard... I deserve at least a 15% raise...:tongue:

Voodoo, I'll personally double your WSI salary.

Lets see, zero times two equals...

:wink:

gobears1987
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I've been around since the Rivals days.

I agree, it has gotten more :chickenlittle around here when ever there are loses and more :troll. I hope it doesnt get out of hand..and i'm sure it wont.
No need to worry about it getting far out of hand. Farwestchicago is going to probably boot all the trolls if they cross any more lines. He won't take any **** from them.
:deadtrolls

chisox
06-13-2005, 10:25 AM
i've gotten a warm reception here as well, even when i initially signed up with the tag credeistheman after lurking for a couple years, even after one of my first posts under my new tag made fun of hawk's eyepatch...

i think it's great that the majority of you guys say that you like what you're seeing.

i was just curious what you guys though, thanks for the responses.

hose, i wish i was witty enough to come up with that one on my own. i'm going to have to use that.

Jurr
06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
There's always a great argument or someone declaring the season over at any given time. It's always fun to be here.

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Voodoo, I'll personally double your WSI salary.

Lets see, zero times two equals...

:wink:

But I get paid in kind with all the love I get shown by the people who think they should be able to lay a big old stinking turd in the middle of the forums every time they feel like it...:rolleyes:

ChicagoHoosier
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
You can see I have a low post count, and also just joined in the offseason, but my love for the Sox has grown each and every year. Since I don't have many friends who like the Sox, this is my way of talking about it with others, seeing others opinions, and getting the inside scoop. I was so pumped for the signings in the offseason that I wanted to read more about it, and stumbed across this while looking for a BIASED opinion.

I've really enjoyed this group, even with some extreme overreaction (by veterans/elders as well as by regulars). It's a great site and keeps me coming back.

Also really enjoy chatting during some of the games with you guys. Which, BTW, I'm still undefeated while on WSI Chat during a game.

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Just curious.....Is this the largest MLB fan site out there or is Sons of Sam Horn larger? I've know we're at least the 3rd biggest.

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Just curious.....Is this the largest MLB fan site out there or is Sons of Sam Horn larger? I've know we're at least the 3rd biggest.

According to Big Boards (http://www.big-boards.com/kw/baseball/) WSI is 6th among baseball related forums, but that filter includes some general sports topic forums. For team specific Sites WSI is currently third, though we will probably be 4th pretty soon.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I have recieved a lot of support since becoming a member only a few days ago. I never even knew this site existed until a few months ago, and only recently have I had unlimited acess to a good computer. Surely there will be more newcomers with the hot start, and as we all know, trolls are easily recognized here anyway, so as I've been told, the more the merrier.

Baby Fisk
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Since I don't have many friends who like the Sox, this is my way of talking about it with others, seeing others opinions, and getting the inside scoop.
You need better friends. :cheers:

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 11:21 AM
According to Big Boards (http://www.big-boards.com/kw/baseball/) WSI is 6th among baseball related forums, but that filter includes some general sports topic forums. For team specific Sites WSI is currently third, though we will probably be 4th pretty soon.

Thats pretty interesting. In terms of total members for baseball only sites, we're 2nd behind NYYfans. In terms of total posts, we're third behind NYY fans and Sons of Sam Horn.

What makes you say we'll fall to 4th, Voodoochile?

Shorty1983
06-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm fairly new also, but I see now harm in new members jumping aboard. I heard about this site through word-of-mouth. It's low key right now but if people keep spreading the word you'll eventually see this grow into a vastly over populated forum.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
The mainsteam media has spoken about and referred to WSI many many times over the past few years. That certainly hasn't hurt with attracting new 'lurkers' and members.

Lip

FielderJones
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I've been lurking here on and off for over a year. Just happened to come across the site during a Google search for something else Sox-related. I finally decided to join and make whatever meager contributions I can.

I've been a Sox fan for over 40 years, originally from West Lawn but now living in the burbs.

CHEESESOXER
06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
My2c:

I live in Wisconsin.

Although it's a great place to live, loaf, hunt, golf & fish, I can't stand the damn gb puker fans.

The beerguzzler fans aren't nearly as bad, especially since they went to that other league..

I went to my first Sox game during WWII.
After all the years of total frustration and losing, it's really a great feeling to be able to come to a place and feel good about my team.

If anyone was also around in the 40's, you KNOW what really lousy baseball was.

I'm glad that this place exists and, the only flaming I'll do is about the know-it-all brantley and that espn hates us so much that, they'd rather show mediocre teams than the Sox.

I can't wait to be hollering "YOU CAN~~~~PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YESSSSSS!!!!" during the WS.

gobears1987
06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
How did Soxtalk get to #7? That board stinks

Harry Chappas
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I think I heard about this site from one of Steve Dahl's kids, who mentioned it on his show. I "think" because I don't recall if he called it by name or URL, but it did prompt me to do a search which is how I happened upon this site. In any event, with the possible exception of getting dragged into the "Konerko stinks" never-ending thread, I've really enjoyed this site and was greeted warmly by most of the old-timers. My post count isn't a reflection of how much time I spend on this site as I tend to scan and read rather than post.

As for whether the influx of new members is a good thing, obviously I'm biased, but I can't think of how it could be viewed as a negative unless it devolves into flames and trolls.

gobears1987
06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I think I heard about this site from one of Steve Dahl's kids, who mentioned it on his show. I "think" because I don't recall if he called it by name or URL, but it did prompt me to do a search which is how I happened upon this site.
Must've been Pat Dahl. He posts here all the time.

mweflen
06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Yep, it definitely seems like a lot of noobs are joining. Which is fine. Hopefully they stay a while and become interesting, worthwhile posters.

And though I do appreciate the troll-hunting expertise of the mods, I think they go overboard some times with long-established members who are merely expressing their opinions.

C'est La Vie I guess.

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 01:57 PM
How did Soxtalk get to #7? That board stinks

The posters have a LOT of posts and actually, they are the reason WSI will soon be lower on the list. They've been steadily catching us since we both got listed. I'm not concerned. Post count is a sad way of judging your worthiness, IMO (says the guy with more posts than anyone else on these forums...:wink: )

delben91
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm a holdover from the Rivals days as well. I think it's great when new posters come along. New points of view on the team we all love just make for greater discussion. That said, the board seems a bit more transient in a way in that sometimes new posters come in and are around for a few weeks, and then disappear. Sort of makes me long for the days of Dago, Mooch, and even IAC :tongue:

But now that I'm done reminiscing, the more the merrier of course!

:gulp: to Sox fans everywhere.

zach074
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
There has been alot of new members but its a great thing, the more opinions the better. So welcome all you new people!:supernana:

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm a holdover from the Rivals days as well. I think it's great when new posters come along. New points of view on the team we all love just make for greater discussion. That said, the board seems a bit more transient in a way in that sometimes new posters come in and are around for a few weeks, and then disappear. Sort of makes me long for the days of Dago, Mooch, and even IAC :tongue:

But now that I'm done reminiscing, the more the merrier of course!

:gulp: to Sox fans everywhere.

I was here before the rivals days when the biggest things on the site were the Sox-O-Gram and the food reviews. I was glad when the influx from the ESPN boards came in, and I'm glad to see our current growth. It makes one feel a whole lot less alone as a Sox fan, something the local media kind of encourages as they try to foist their Cubbylove on us all.

doublem23
06-13-2005, 03:57 PM
:offtopic:

delben, you live in Red Bank, New Jersey? Ever been to the Jay and Silent Bob Secret Stash? :tongue:

delben91
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM

delben, you live in Red Bank, New Jersey? Ever been to the Jay and Silent Bob Secret Stash? :tongue:

Haha, I live about 4 blocks from the supposed "Jay and Silent Bob central." Only been living here a month though, so no time to explore yet. It's definitely on the to do list though. :cool:

doublem23
06-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Haha, I live about 4 blocks from the supposed "Jay and Silent Bob central." Only been living here a month though, so no time to explore yet. It's definitely on the to do list though. :cool:

Nice. I envy you. :)

SoxSpeed22
06-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Cellview, if we exceed 1,198 in October and we're all poppin champagne and acting like damn fools, I would light up if we had 5K at the same time:offtopic:
What happened on Dec. 20, 2004 that had 1198 people online?

Brian26
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
IMO, things have drastically changed around here in the last year or so. Lots more people. Lots more psychotic, extremism.

Psychotic, extremism has been here since the inception in July 2001.

Brian26
06-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Was that the day of Caballo's trade?

ilsox7
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Psychotic, extremism has been here since the inception in July 2001.

I just think it's gone to a new level. Like benching our closer who has been near perfect this year.

gobears1987
06-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Was that the day of Caballo's trade?
signing El Duque. IIRC

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I first came across WSI last fall while searching for something Sox-related,via Yahoo.The first few months I just soaked up all the info,articles,interviews,etc. on the main page,never visiting the message board.To be honest,I had a somewhat cynical view on message boards based on other sports sites I had visited.But in January,I finally checked out the forums and was instantly hooked. Since most of my friends(including my best friend) are Cubs fans,it was not only exciting,but also refreshing to find so many people passionately dedicated to the team I have loved since I was 5.The information members provide,as well as differing viewpoints has only enhanced the Sox-loving experience.

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Maybe I am missing something,but what are these "Rivals days" a few veteran posters have mentioned?

Shenanigans
06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks to everyone who says "The more the merrier"! I've met someone very special (and obviously very intelligent because he's a White Sox fan) and am trying to find out everything I can about the best team in baseball. Hope it doesn't offend anyone that I'll just be reading more than communicating.

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Maybe I am missing something,but what are these "Rivals days" a few veteran posters have mentioned?

After running the site independently for some time, PHG decided to move it to rivals.com, which basically maintained several sites under its wing. Rivals folded after a year or two, and the current version of WSI was born.

Huisj
06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that this site and Soxtalk are both such highly visited/active sites? Kind of reinforces the ideas about sox fans being passionate and actually interested in their team.

BNLSox
06-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Sox fan who was just turned on to the site this past off season. As a result of the site I was able to meet up with tons of Sox fans this past weekend in San Diego. Shouldn't hate on newbies or trollers... This community should embrace all those who wish to contribute, as long as they keep it sane. It is a 162 game season folks!

soxfanreggie
06-13-2005, 04:48 PM
I read the board for a while, but have been around for some months now. There are a lot of people out there who just post massive amounts of worthless stuff; sometimes a few sentences. Here, many posts are long and thoughtout about useful stuff. GO WSI!

mweflen
06-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who says "The more the merrier"! I've met someone very special (and obviously very intelligent because he's a White Sox fan) and am trying to find out everything I can about the best team in baseball. Hope it doesn't offend anyone that I'll just be reading more than communicating.

:welcome:!

My GF actually signed up for WSI soon after meeting me. I'll never tell who she is, though....:D:

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 05:10 PM
After running the site independently for some time, PHG decided to move it to rivals.com, which basically maintained several sites under its wing. Rivals folded after a year or two, and the current version of WSI was born.

Gotcha.:smile:

Jurr
06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
I just think it's gone to a new level. Like benching our closer who has been near perfect this year.
Amen. The crazies come out of the woodwork.

nedlug
06-13-2005, 07:04 PM
My buddy, Pat Ferrini, who writes for WSI every week, introduced me to this site just this summer. Myself and a group of friends have been rabidly following the Sox (and defending them against our Flub-fan friends) since HS.

Jurr
06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
My buddy, Pat Ferrini, who writes for WSI every week, introduced me to this site just this summer. Myself and a group of friends have been rabidly following the Sox (and defending them against our Flub-fan friends) since HS.
520 posts since may of this year?? I like that sort of dedication! I am glad that we've picked up some great fans like you.

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Just wonderin mods---

Has there ever been thoughts of merging WSI with SoxTalk? Do the mods here communicate with the people running SoxTalk? What is the relationship?

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Just wonderin mods---

Has there ever been thoughts of merging WSI with SoxTalk? Do the mods here communicate with the people running SoxTalk? What is the relationship?

I think I can speak for most WSI veterans when I say, "Merge with SoxTalk? You've got to be kidding!"

Reminds me of 83
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I have been a Sox fan since I can remember, and I am now 46. Being a Sox Fan in this town is tough because of the Cubs being shoved down your throat. I am relatively new to WSI, but I love the fact that there are more like me (who can talk me through the dark times). Sox fans have a very solid, core fan base. I have been telling every Sox Fan I know about WSI.

We have a great team, great fans and we need to keep it going. Lets get the attendance up, provide a great atmosphere at the park and WIN THIS THING. It would kill every Cub fan I know.

Vince
06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Myself, I only found out about this site about six months ago when doing a search on the white sox, lurked for a while, then took the plunge.

SpammySosa
06-13-2005, 10:49 PM
I think I can speak for most WSI veterans when I say, "Merge with SoxTalk? You've got to be kidding!"

You can also speak for WSI newbies like myself when you say that as well. I never heard of SoxTalk until seeing the site mentioned here.Out of curiosity I checked it out a few months ago-big mistake.I would take WSI at it's worst over SoxTalk at it's best anyday.The lack of moderation is only the beginning of that site's problems.If you want quality moderators,information,discussion,etc-stick with WSI.If you want mostly mindless chatter,join SoxTalk.

gosox3072
06-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I personally do not like there being more members. It seems that the conversations are getting more and more watered down as the member list goes up. Yet the mods do a great job of elimating stupid stuff that is posted here...unlike whitesox.com. Thats what makes this place so great. I believe this is the most reliable place to go to find sox info.....when something happens, i still go here first.

BTW talking about sox message board history, anyone remember the old boards at whitesox.com when it was an independant site and not an MLB site? This place reminds me a lot of that

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 10:57 PM
I personally do not like there being more members. It seems that the conversations are getting more and more watered down as the member list goes up. Yet the mods do a great job of elimating stupid stuff that is posted here...unlike whitesox.com. Thats what makes this place so great. I believe this is the most reliable place to go to find sox info.....when something happens, i still go here first.

BTW talking about sox message board history, anyone remember the old boards at whitesox.com when it was an independant site and not an MLB site? This place reminds me a lot of that

Remember it? I was a mod there.

boiler up
06-13-2005, 10:59 PM
i have been die hard sox since the day i was born. i'm a huge poster on www.fordpower.net/forums and my dad told me about theflyingsock.com so i checked it out and i found these forums.

doesn't mean i'm a bandwagon fan, i'm just new to the boards

BridgePortNative
06-13-2005, 11:19 PM

That was the day of major trade and contract signing were around. Levine mentioned the Matt Clement Signing would take plae very soon. It left people scrambling for any type of periodicals saying anything like thie ie: ESPNEWS
mlb.com, whitesox.com (and who can forget the man with the cell phone: ChiSoxTony, claiming he knew the inside scoops).

kevingrt
06-14-2005, 11:24 AM

Totally agree with you. Couple years ago it was still a tranquil place so to say. But it is funny seeing the spikes in posts in April, then depending on playoff contention in August and September. Then it dies down in the offseason. But it is nice to see all the new fans coming to the board, if onyl they would get out to pack the Cell I would love it!

Jurr
06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
That was the day of major trade and contract signing were around. Levine mentioned the Matt Clement Signing would take plae very soon. It left people scrambling for any type of periodicals saying anything like thie ie: ESPNEWS
mlb.com, whitesox.com (and who can forget the man with the cell phone: ChiSoxTony, claiming he knew the inside scoops).
Yeah...he was next to KW at the airport and heard Williams making a deal on the phone. Terrible stuff. I wish we could find that post.

nug0hs
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
I bring up the site every Sox game I'm at...usually tell the people im with and I've had people overhear sitting around me ask questions too. Someone should make some WSI signs and bring them to the next nationally televised game!

MUScholar21
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Like joining, I'm a little late to this thread. I just found out about this place in the offseason from MUSoxFan. Wish I would have known about it for longer, could have killed far more time at work.

By the way, isn't this thread a little divisive, even for Sox fans? I mean, trolling is one thing, but we already have the classifications. Do we really need people trying to prove how big of a Sox fan they are by showing how many posts they have made or how long they have been here?

clee-hegone
06-14-2005, 02:30 PM
i was just searching on yahoo or google one of the 2 looking for a wrestling forum and this popped up. when i went to it i loved it cause finally i have more than my 2 sox friends to talk about the south siders, guess thats what happens when 95% of your friends are cub fans.

CubsSuckSoBad
06-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Just because we are new to the site doesnt mean that we are new White Sox fans...

I bleed Black...

And I am offended by the "troll" posts...:angry:

There are obviously some that tend to jump on the bandwagon, but I, sir, am not one of them...

RockRaines
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Just because we are new to the site doesnt mean that we are new White Sox fans...

I bleed Black...

And I am offended by the "troll" posts...:angry:

There are obviously some that tend to jump on the bandwagon, but I, sir, am not one of them...
You might want to get that checked out, but I agree, I mostly post on soxtalk, and usually just read WSI, but I was born and raised a sox fan and listened to them all during the early 80's and beyond.

Mickster
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
:troll

http://www.dumbppl.com/images/images/tryingtobefunny.jpg

nebraskasox
06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Growth and expansion should be good for any organization. Some turnover is good too with new members bringing fresh ideas and perspectives. So, new members are a sign that the product is good and the word is getting out. Veteran WSIers should (and I think do) welcome the influx of new members. I found out about WSI on the whitesox.com forum during the winter and liked the unabashed biased approach and the ongoing involvement of the posters where opinions are freely expressed and information is exchanged among fellow Sox fans.

I haven't noticed many trolls, unlike whitesox.com. The mods must do a good job keeping these forums for a loyal fan base and free from annoying anti Sox posters. Plus this site has the photo gallery and some fun multi media like Nancy Faust selections, 59 clincher, etc.

Since I haven't lived in Chicago since '69, this site helps me keep in touch with other Sox fans around the country and the world. I'm enjoying this season and enjoy reading 99% of the posts on this board.

Baby Fisk
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.dumbppl.com/images/images/tryingtobefunny.jpg
Damn, Mickster, you are on a roll! :cool:

Sxy Mofo
06-14-2005, 05:14 PM

I'm a member of two of the top 10 sports related boards (mod on one, peon on the other). That means a few things: I like sports a little too much, and I should work more.

RallyBowl
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Like joining, I'm a little late to this thread. I just found out about this place in the offseason from MUSoxFan. Wish I would have known about it for longer, could have killed far more time at work.

By the way, isn't this thread a little divisive, even for Sox fans? I mean, trolling is one thing, but we already have the classifications. Do we really need people trying to prove how big of a Sox fan they are by showing how many posts they have made or how long they have been here? Well said. And it's good to see H-town represented

Southsider101
06-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I rarely post on sports fans sites. However I grew up on the South Side bleeding White Sox; and while I don't live in Chicago anymore--I still get to my share of Sox games every year. Nevertheless, I've lurked on this site for 2-3 years and just decided that its finally time to start posting. WSI members are by far the most intelligent and literate fans I've ever seen on the 'net and I appreciate the fact that lots of new fans are eager to learn of the tradition.
:dtroll:

Taliesinrk
06-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Good question Chisox. Because of it, I went ahead and finally took the time to register; so fittingly, this is my first post. In response to your question, the new members aren't anywhere close to cubs banwagoners because, the new members are not cubs fans. Secondly, like most things, the longer something has been running and out in the public, the more known it becomes. I found out about this site last year when a friend on my hall told me about it. I would imagine that I am like most of the others who have joined, former guests and die-hard Sox fans for sometime. I would hope the regulars and "veterans" of the site would not be upset by the new members and fellow Sox enthousiasts.

SowtSydePryde67
06-15-2005, 01:46 AM
I can't believe the rest of you!

I'm 10-0 at SOX games this year, and hopefully will be 11-0 Friday night!:gulp:

skobabe8
06-15-2005, 02:55 AM
I can't believe the rest of you!

I'm 10-0 at SOX games this year, and hopefully will be 11-0 Friday night!:gulp:

Look at my sig. :cuss: I need :help:. Whats your secret? :dunno:

Layla
06-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't even know this site existed until my son found it a while back.

I read for a few days, and signed up.

pythons007
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Look at my sig. :cuss: I need :help:. Whats your secret? :dunno:

Obviously you're bad luck. You need to go to more games with me! I'm 4-1!

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 01:54 PM

I'm batting a thousand. 3-0. Barring a miracle of riches, that will record will probably not change.

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 01:57 PM

Well maybe you should invite me, Pythons! :drunken:

Andy T Clown
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
This sight has been getting more press lately.

ChiSoxRowand
06-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't say the newbies are bandwagoners. When your favorite team is doing good, it is natural to just get excited.

MsSoxVixen22
06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
OK I 've been a Sox fan since I was Junior in high school. I just came across this website while I was surfing the net at work! I'm by now means jumping on the bandwagon! Both my dad and I are die hard Sox fans! :winner

Jurr
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
OK I 've been a Sox fan since I was Junior in high school. I just came across this website while I was surfing the net at work! I'm by now means jumping on the bandwagon! Both my dad and I are die hard Sox fans! :winner
Welcome! We totally understand that you're not a bandwaggoner. Not too many Sox fans are or could ever be. Being a White Sox fan is a genetic flaw passed down by parents.

Reminds me of 83
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Welcome! We totally understand that you're not a bandwaggoner. Not too many Sox fans are or could ever be. Being a White Sox fan is a genetic flaw passed down by parents.
And hopefully handed down to their children.

mweflen
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, we shouldn't tar newbies as bandwagon-jumpers. WSI is something for the fringe of the fringe. Kind of like a mystery religion for initiates...

Besides, some of us just recently heard of this Internet thingie...:cool:

I mean, I joined in early 2004. Does that mean I haven't gone to 150 games in the past 4 seasons? Nope.

Jump on, newbs! :welcome:

Straingage
06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I've been a Sox fan since I was born, I'm 31 now and my father had been talking about this website since 2003. I just never checked it out until about a couple of months ago now I'm totally hooked. Please forgive me for my skepticism.

itsjustinf
06-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I just found out about this site from my roommate not more than a couple months ago. Both of us grew up die hard sox fans, and i was excited when he told me about this place because i had seen the whitesox.com boards. So I think I owe a huge THANK YOU to everyone who keeps this site going.

tick53
06-18-2005, 01:02 AM
As a die-hard Sox Fan, I can see your point. Who would want A Cub Worshipper
to enter this world. But let me tell you this I was attending games at Old Com-
iskey when the likes of Pete Ward, Little Louie and Tommy John graced the field.
I was there the night Ken Berry fell over the fence in center and the first manager I remember was Al Lopez.

I am originally from the South Side, and grew up loving the Sox. Also I'm one of
those 50 plus guys who finally discovered personal computers.When I got wind
of this site,I checked it out immediately and found White Sox Nirvana.

Right now the Flub Fans are clinging to there wild card hopes (which I think at
this point in time is ridiculous). Sometimes it takes people a while to become
aware of what is available in cyberspace.I can't speak for all the other so-called
"newbies", but this one plans on being cremated and having his ashes dropped
from a helicopter over the outfield grass.

chisox
06-19-2005, 11:45 AM
i think the various responses this post has gotten are awesome. ultimately, guess i wouldn't expect anything less.

go sox!

The Racehorse
06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
:tomatoaward

The Old Mick
06-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I've been a White Sox fan since the Dick Allen Sox. Please don't hold it against us that we are new to WSI. I went to the game last night and wanted to keep celebrating today. And there seems to be no better place for die hard Sox fans than WSI!!!
My record at Sox games is 5-4. 1 loss was at Wheegman Park.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I've been a White Sox fan since the Dick Allen Sox. Please don't hold it against us that we are new to WSI. I went to the game last night and wanted to keep celebrating today. And there seems to be no better place for die hard Sox fans than WSI!!!
My record at Sox games is 5-4. 1 loss was at Wheegman Park.

I don't know of anybody who thinks the newcomers here are bandwagon jumpers. As one of the people who was here when about the only thing fans could contribute was reviews of food at the ball park, I'm glad to see all the newbies. The more the merrier!

EdHerman12
06-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Like many of the posts I've been at this site for the past few years, but have never actively gotten involved in posting messages. If I'm a person that has posted a few thousand times, then I have too much time on my hands.

Over the past few weeks I've read the profiles of many of the members, and it looks like a majority fit the 21-35 category. I'm 42...a lot of you can't remember the history of this organization because you were not there. How many of you remember Wilbur Wood taking a line drive off the knee cap which effectively ended his career, or the off field antics of Dick Allen, much less the near move of the beloved boys to Tampa?....that was before the Internet came on the scene....the only forum that existed was going to the ball park or hanging out at the local tavern.

All I can say is this....if I was in charge of this site, I'd be happy as heck to see more people getting on board. We have to face facts, the White Sox are the second choice for baseball in Chicago, but the difference is that Sox fans know baseball....Cub fans know nothing except to be seen...I'm impressed by the knowledge of so many folks on this site, and there is more to flyingsock.com than message boards...

God bless you all....I'm here to stay....GO SOX!

malbert346
06-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I appreciate the welcome as well. Even though I was called a troll by one poster last night, I know from reading this board that the large majority of the members here aren't so quick to judge new posters. I've been a Sox fan since 1990 and I'm right on the fringe of that 21-45 age group mentioned earlier. I'm very happy to not have to deal with uninformed, ignorant scrub fans on this board since there's a ridiculous bandwagon of em at U of I.

EdHerman12
06-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Well let me say welcome aboard malbert346! It comes down to this...if you haven't posted on any internet message board 2,000 times, you're a "troll"....let's get real here folks...opinions, or comments don't have to be made public a couple a thousand times to be legit huh? Lova you all!

GO SOX!......:pods: <--------The straw that stirs the drink.

Stroker Ace
06-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I found the site this off season while I was looking for some Sox news. The second I found the site, I had to join.

Unregistered
06-19-2005, 10:37 PM

delben, you live in Red Bank, New Jersey? Ever been to the Jay and Silent Bob Secret Stash? :tongue:Haha, I live about 4 blocks from the supposed "Jay and Silent Bob central." Only been living here a month though, so no time to explore yet. It's definitely on the to do list though. :cool:
Yeah, if you go to the secret stash (In the "downtown" area it seems), they give you a map to the Quick Stop and RST Video where they shot Clerks, located in the next town over.

From what I saw, Red Bank was a pretty cool little town - or so it seemed for the whole 2 hours I stopped by when I was on my way to Atlantic City. :D:

TimoandAaron
06-19-2005, 10:38 PM

I am 14 years old so i just heard about this sight at the begenning of the year. I know and love baseball so i thought it would be fun to talk on a message board/chat with other Sox fans.

FredManrique
06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Me too. I stumbled across this site around the time the Sox got Iguchi and I'm hooked. I think I would be whether the Sox were winning or not.

Just on a personal note, I left the Chicagoland area in 2001, and I haven't had many chances to get back, so it's great to have this forum to stay connected with my roots and my favourite team growing up.

Cheers everyone!:gulp:

SouthSide4Life
06-19-2005, 10:45 PM
though i havent been on here for a long time, i have lurked for quite some time. my philosphy with the newbs is if theyre dumb, we make feel that way so they dont wish to stay. many of us(myself possibly included) have a good knowledge of the game of baseball and loves the Sox and will contribute thru think and thin!

Chisox003
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
i havent been here for that long either. i just discovered this site in the offseason and was practically glued to it with all kennys wheelings and dealings. i finally grew a pair and registered and have loved every minute of it. i just feel lucky that countless sox fans feel the same passion for baseball as i do, and my only regret is that i didnt find this site years ago.

I found out about this site December 20, 2004....I joined this site December 20, 2004...

It seriously got me through the last 3 1/2 months of the offseason....

WSI: Im Hooked :gulp:

Tekk
06-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I was an infrequent visitor for about a year before joining WSI. I mainly was interested in other peoples opinions of sox information, and I finally joined in 2004 but didn't post until this year.

EdHerman12
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
It's kina like.....the uh......Moose Lodge! You see it all the time....and you wonder what it's about, and the next thing you know you're a member.....now I know there are more "lurkers" out there waiting to bare their souls....so hook up and don't be shy.....:lurkers

GO SOX! :dye: <------like to see this guy light up KC tonight!

sdccpa
06-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I found out about this site in April, 2005. I have to admit I'm more of a lurker:lurkers but I'll try to be a bit more talkative. I love this site, its great to see so many passionate Sox fans (and some very funny people too.)

Long live WSI

urbanhack
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Long time lurker here....

ode to veeck
06-20-2005, 07:40 PM
welcome to all the new WSI members! yeah, it can be a real zoo around here, but it's the bast spot for sox fans anywhere

iamkoza
06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
I've known about this place for a while, but i joined because i finally gave up on espn.

broker3d
06-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I've known about this place for a while, but i joined because i finally gave up on espn.

Koza, you board jumping? good to see ya.

SouthSideHitman.
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
i must have been "lurking" here for about 3 years and finally just said "ok i guess i'll register!" I'm glad i did because there are a handful of knowledgable people here.

Chisox003
06-21-2005, 06:34 PM
i must have been "lurking" here for about 3 years and finally just said "ok i guess i'll register!" I'm glad i did because there are a handful of knowledgable people here.

Yikes

You shoulda kept lurking :dtroll:

Realist
06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Well let me say welcome aboard malbert346! It comes down to this...if you haven't posted on any internet message board 2,000 times, you're a "troll"....let's get real here folks...opinions, or comments don't have to be made public a couple a thousand times to be legit huh? Lova you all!

How right you are. I've got over 1,400 posts here and only about 2 of 'em are worth a flyin' rat's tookus.

postman311
06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I hope it does not bother the "OLD SCHOOLERS" that newbies are flockin on. I learned of the site while attending the LA game last SATURDAY, and a fella' I was BSin with told me to check it out!!!

Call it what you want! I really dig this sight and hope by being A "NEWBIE" I am not steppin on any toes!!

Go WHITE SOX!!!!

MsSoxVixen22
06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah my Dad being a Sox fan had alittel bit to do with me becoming one. But it not just that I love the Sox and I love the players and all our announcers. Besides I need an outlet. 95% Of the people I work with are Cub fans! There's maybe 10-20 if us that are Sox fans and then you have the fence sitters. Cubs fans who when they realize they're aren't gonna do anything this year jump over to the Sox. I say, glad you saw the light but stay the hell over there! Either u like one team or the other and stick with them, thick and thin. "I love this message board!" :hawk

scottjanssens
06-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I hope it does not bother the "OLD SCHOOLERS" that newbies are flockin on. I learned of the site while attending the LA game last SATURDAY, and a fella' I was BSin with told me to check it out!!!

Same here, only it was Monday's game and it was one of the mods. I'd been posting at espn.com for a while before that.

balaspa
06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi, just wanted to add my two cents. I have been a Sox fan since about 1975 when I was babysat by my uncle, the only Sox fan in a family of Cubs fans. I have never once looked back. However, I had never searched for this commmunity of rabid Sox fans. Sometimes it felt like I was the only one. Growing up on the north side of town, surrounded by Cubs fans, you feel a little isolated. It took two seconds of reading for me to join up. I would have joined up a long, long time ago if I had known about this place. I am here for good and, lo and behold, this had just turned out to be a great year to join up.

I do fear too many Cubs-like things drifting into the Sox world, but not here. I was at the game this past Monday (June 20) against the Royals. The Royals hit a home run into the area where I was and some fan grabbed it. I listened to dozens of supposed Sox fans torment this man because he wouldn't throw the ball back on the field. I wanted to stand there and give a lecture that we don't do that crap on the southside!!

chitownhawkfan
06-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Anybody who throws back home run balls on the south side should be:

1. Verbally and physically abused by fans in his section
2. Branded a loser and forced to walk to the Northside with his pants down
3. Get Arrested

:andy

whtsoxfan4ever
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Fan since birth in 1977. Long time reader of posts, first time responder to topic, and I must say I really think anyone who visits this site and becomes a member does so because they're a fan who heard about this site from another Sox fan, thats how I got involved and I spread the word to the people I know are true Sox fans.
To anyone of these "I just want a team from Chicago to win" type people, we all know they're just ScRub fans who are too ashamed to admit that the better team IS and always WILL be on the South Side.