PDA

View Full Version : Props for WS from... Torii Hunter?

Vince
06-13-2005, 01:39 AM
I was surprised to read this little quote from Hunter (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5453099.html?SID=8932vuo59422obna7coe7c54r1):

It's the main difference between the Twins and the White Sox, who lead the Minnesota in the AL Central by 5 games. The Twins have scored 288 runs, the White Sox 291. The Twins lead the majors with a 3.39 team ERA. The White Sox are second at 3.46.But the White Sox are 19-8 in one-run games, the best in the majors. The Twins are 12-12.

Gardenhire said over the weekend that he's not worried about his team's record in one-run games. But Hunter views Chicago's advantage differently.

"That's the reason why they are in first place," Hunter said. "That's the reason why they are the best team in the major leagues. The way they are playing, no team can match up with those guys. Not even us. We can't compare them to us right now. They are sick."

ChiSoxGirl
06-13-2005, 01:49 AM
I was surprised to read this little quote from Hunter (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5453099.html?SID=8932vuo59422obna7coe7c54r1):

One word: WOW! That came out of Hunter's mouth??

MUsoxfan
06-13-2005, 01:49 AM
Wow. Classy quotes from a guy that's usually anything but...

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 02:04 AM
oooooooh yeaaaaa toriii.....ohhhhh that feels good

DrCrawdad
06-13-2005, 04:18 AM
Quite a bit has been said, mainly by the media, about how the Sox have the Twins breathing down the Sox neck and how the Sox have not been able to put further distance between themselves and the Twins. Well Sunday evening I had the opportunity to talk with a Twins fan. The Twins fan said expressed frustration about how they just can't seem to catch the Sox this year.

Chisox003
06-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Quite a bit has been said, mainly by the media, about how the Sox have the Twins breathing down the Sox neck and how the Sox have not been able to put further distance between themselves and the Twins. Well Sunday evening I had the opportunity to talk with a Twins fan. The Twins fan said expressed frustration about how they just can't seem to catch the Sox this year.

Theres 2 ways to look at everything, no?

Torrii Hunter, when not being him typical self (:whiner: ) actually seems to have a small amount of class....I've heard him speak highly of the Sox several times this year

This quote is somewhat of a shock considering the source, but either way the truth is the truth :gulp:

mealfred13
06-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Not to be a Sox-basher, but maybe this is the first year where the Twins actually SHOULD be saying anything nice about our team. In the past, they've owned us for the most part, and after they repeatedly kicked the Sox's asses, why should they have anything nice to say. Now that we have a team that can legitamately compete with them, and they've been chasing us all year, they have to give credit where credit is due. And for the record, I still hate Toriiiiiii Hunter.

Irishsox1
06-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Hunter has a history of saying stuff like this. When the Sox made the Roberto Alomar and Everett trades in 2003, Hunter made a big deal about the Sox becoming a great team, only to pull away from the Sox. His whole thing is that we're little Minnesota and were lucky to even be playing with the Sox, kinda reverse psychology.

The only thing Hunter every said that caught my attention was that after the Sox traded Lee and Maggs didn't sign, Hunter said that he wasn't afraid of the Sox anymore.

petergriffen
06-13-2005, 08:19 AM
i am inclined to believe that his comment is anything but genuine. theres some kind of reverse psychology there. hunter is too evil to compliment the white sox. i would take what i just said back if and only if hunter said "i was wrong for what i said about not being afraid of the sox. open mouth, insert foot." because that is basically what he did when he said what he said.

DumpJerry
06-13-2005, 08:36 AM
He's trying to avoid some chin music later this season.

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Torii showed some class, bout damn time! In all seriousness though, I like him for his skill and skill alone. His mouth could get him in trouble, but let's be honest here, there isnt a major league team who wouldnt take him.

fquaye149
06-13-2005, 08:44 AM
what a nice guy! i always liked him.

mccoydp
06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
:hawk

"I LOVE that Torii Hunter!"

Champs2004
06-13-2005, 08:58 AM
:hawk

"I LOVE that Torii Hunter!" Fixed that.

SpringfldFan
06-13-2005, 09:32 AM
He is just playing mind games. I can understand a simple compliment or token of respect, but to go gushing how good they are and how his Twins can't even compare to them - well that is just too over the top to be genuine. He is just blowing smoke like Lou Holtz would do at ND when he would say how much of an underdog the Irish were before every game.

SFF

CubsSuckSoBad
06-13-2005, 09:32 AM
If we dont care when people are against us, why should we care when someone recognizes how good we are now?

ESPECIALLY Toriiiii Hunter....I'm intelligent to know that the guy is a heck of a ball player, but he's a Twinkie.....remember, Twinkies look good, but they are bad for you....he's full of it with this quote....

It's understandable that people get excited when they see White Sox praise, but when we continue on this pace throughout the year, EVERYONE will jump on the bandwagon...everyone wants to be a winner....Happened with the Illini this year and me being in champaign for grad school, I witnessed it first hand throughout not only the state of Illinois, but throughout the entire United States....

Even though ESPN hated on the Illini all year and got their gratification when we were finally beaten by the NBA's North Carolina Tar Heels....

Hopefully they don't get a chance to feel good about picking against the sox...Let's make them feel as stupid as they really are....

**** Torriiiiii Hunter.....who names their son Toriii anyway?

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Not to be a Sox-basher, but maybe this is the first year where the Twins actually SHOULD be saying anything nice about our team. In the past, they've owned us for the most part, and after they repeatedly kicked the Sox's asses, why should they have anything nice to say. Now that we have a team that can legitamately compete with them, and they've been chasing us all year, they have to give credit where credit is due. And for the record, I still hate Toriiiiiii Hunter.

Looking back, I have to agree. From 2001-2004, the Sox have had a powerful offense that when hot was the best in the majors. They also have had one great starting pitcher (Buehrle) and usually another pretty good one or two as well (Loaiza, Colon, Garcia). After that, they were marginal at best. This year, they have a great starting rotation 1-5, a consistent offense (even if some of the players within it aren't consistent), a lock-down defense and a great team. The only question mark so far this year has been the bullpen, and by its nature the pen is a question mark on ANY and EVERY team....

StepsInSC
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
**** Torriiiiii Hunter.....who names their son Toriii anyway?

My mother. :angry:

SIKE!

elrod
06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't think this is all mind games here. I bet the players on the Twins are really frustrated with their inability to catch us. They just came off a tough loss and they watch the Sox win close game after close game (except Game Two in SD). The Twins, of all teams, know how important it is to execute in those situations. As much as we have struggled with bases loaded the Twins have been much worse. These stats help explain why we're up 5 games on them:

The Twins grounded into 63 double plays this year (most in the AL). The White Sox grounded into 42.

Twins overall team OPS: .751
Twins teams OPS with bases loaded: .698

They are just not hitting in big clutch situations the way they did the last few years. Grounding into so many double plays, even with a speedy lineup, means lack of concentration in close games.

mccoydp
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Fixed that.

:tealpolice:

I just Teal Policed myself...

tstrike2000
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
That's nice to hear, but we'll really see what our teams are made of come the second half. When things really heat up in August and September we better show just how sick we are. It's pretty much down to a two team race now and it's time our CF bowls over their catcher!

ChicagoHoosier
06-13-2005, 10:31 AM
He is just playing mind games. I can understand a simple compliment or token of respect, but to go gushing how good they are and how his Twins can't even compare to them - well that is just too over the top to be genuine. He is just blowing smoke like Lou Holtz would do at ND when he would say how much of an underdog the Irish were before every game.

SFF
He's totally messing with us. But still good to hear. Let's prove him RIGHT!

Unregistered
06-13-2005, 11:28 AM
**** Torriiiiii Hunter.....who names their son Toriii anyway?It's short for "Victorriiiiiiiiiiiiiia."
:D:

chisox
06-13-2005, 11:35 AM
he's just stating the obvious. i'll start listening to torii when he comes out and owns up to how big of a brat he is. 'til then...

Sox-on-TV44
06-13-2005, 11:39 AM

SFF
So that what it is.I thought we've just entered "THE TWILIGHT ZONE".

guillen4life13
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
That's nice to hear, but we'll really see what our teams are made of come the second half. When things really heat up in August and September we better show just how sick we are. It's pretty much down to a two team race now and it's time our CF bowls over their catcher!

Won't the rosters be expanded by the time the Sox play Minny again? Maybe they should add some beater outfielder to the roster just for that purpose, so that if he gets injured, it wasn't a big loss anyways.

dcb33
06-13-2005, 12:15 PM
i'll start listening to torii when he comes out and owns up to how big of a brat he is. 'til then...

Torriiiiiiiiii's no brat, he's a playa' from the 'hood!

MIgrenade
06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
So I guess the Twins have taken the Hawk approach to their situation. That's good to hear.

BTW, that means that the Twins are frustrated that they can't catch up to the Sox rather than better happy they are keeping it close.

Shorty1983
06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I still don't think that was sincere enough for me, he'll always be a snake in the grass kind of guy.

SoxWillWin
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Okay.....who slipped Hunter the psychotropic drugs with his breakfast.......

Jjav829
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Torii showed some class, bout damn time! In all seriousness though, I like him for his skill and skill alone. His mouth could get him in trouble, but let's be honest here, there isnt a major league team who wouldnt take him.

I'd rather have Aaron Rowand.

And I think there are quite a few centerfielders that major league teams would take before Torii.