PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to ESPN???

DrGiggles
06-13-2005, 01:19 AM
I know this sounds stupid and probably wouldn't work, but I was thinking about writing a letter to ESPN about how disappointed we are, that we don't get credited more on their shows. When Frank Robinson (Manager) of the Nationals complained about only get negative attention or NO attention at all on ESPN, thats all I see now, Nationals this and Nationals that. I want to write to them saying how disappointed we are that we're not getting the spotlight we need and I want to get signatures to prove we are a big group that cares. I would like to see what they have to say about that. What do you guys think? Is it stupid or should I go with it? I know the media attention shouldn't bother us, but seriously, are the Yankees losing really more important than a winning team. I guess you have to be a big named team to get any interest.

konerko1413
06-13-2005, 01:24 AM
i like the fact that we dont get publicized on tv, the white sox arent about being showy this year, the last couple years, it was always that the sox should run away with the division and we lost, now its that its the twins divison and we are playnig awesome.
All the sox players love the fact they arent in the spotlight, i wanna keep it this way.

Chisox003
06-13-2005, 01:29 AM
2005: UNDER THE RADAR

I could care less what ESPN thinks of the team, the fans, the park, the neighborhood around the park, the manager, the owner, the gm....The list goes on

42-20 looks good whether its shown on ESPN or not!

DrGiggles
06-13-2005, 01:34 AM
I understand you guys don't care. But deep in side, it would be nice to get some recognition for once.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 01:36 AM
Don't waste your time. The bottom line is ratings. As long as the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs continue to get gangbuster cable ratings you are going to see them crammed down your throat.

Ignore ESPN until October then briefly watch to see what excuses are served up for their dismissing the Sox so easily in April.

Of course you know that unless the Sox win the World Series, ESPN is eventually going to be able to say 'told you so...' You can't win so don't lose any sleep over it.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
06-13-2005, 02:09 AM
2005: UNDER THE RADAR

I could care less what ESPN thinks ...

...couldn't care less...

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
06-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Don't waste your time writing to ESPN. They don't care about us. We're the "second team" in a Midwestern city, and we don't have any "big-name" players on our roster. No, they don't consider Frank a big name because they hate his guts. And we're not small-market, so we aren't a "good story" like the Twinks.

I've stopped watching Baseball Tonight entirely. You can always count on WSI posters to give you the lowdown on the real or perceived slights that are being directed toward us on ESPN.

mccoydp
06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
:whocares

And with the above, I mean who cares about ESPN?

I stopped watching weeks ago. This site and the White Sox official site are the best sources of White Sox news.

Chicago83
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I know this sounds stupid and probably wouldn't work, but I was thinking about writing a letter to ESPN about how disappointed we are, that we don't get credited more on their shows. When Frank Robinson (Manager) of the Nationals complained about only get negative attention or NO attention at all on ESPN, thats all I see now, Nationals this and Nationals that. I want to write to them saying how disappointed we are that we're not getting the spotlight we need and I want to get signatures to prove we are a big group that cares. I would like to see what they have to say about that. What do you guys think? Is it stupid or should I go with it? I know the media attention shouldn't bother us, but seriously, are the Yankees losing really more important than a winning team. I guess you have to be a big named team to get any interest.

Nationals are getting attention because they won 10 in a row, it has nothing to do with anyone complaining. Don't waste your time writing a letter to ESPN, nobody of importance will read it. In fact more than likely nobody will read it and it will be thrown in the trash. If ESPN makes you so mad then watch the chicago media, who heavily cover the sox especially when they are winning.

I want Mags back
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
...couldn't care less...

SMO

no. could not care less is a double negative

SluggersAway
06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
You have to remember that the E in ESPN stands for "entertainment", sports comes second. They are not interested in objective analysis or truth in advertising.

As for "could not care less" it does have a specific meaning, think about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Don't waste your time. The bottom line is ratings. As long as the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs continue to get gangbuster cable ratings you are going to see them crammed down your throat.

Ignore ESPN until October then briefly watch to see what excuses are served up for their dismissing the Sox so easily in April.

Of course you know that unless the Sox win the World Series, ESPN is eventually going to be able to say 'told you so...' You can't win so don't lose any sleep over it.

Lip

This is very practical advice, Lip. ESPN couldn't care less about covering the Sox. They only want people to tune in. If they can rile up a bunch of Sox Fans by NOT covering the team, so much the better. That means they're actually watching the show.

Anything short of a Sox world championship and ESPN will claim they were right all along, not unlike what they said about the '00 Sox after that team flamed out in the ALDS.

You can't win by watching ESPN. You can only win by ignoring them -- especially if you're a Nielsen family. Fill out your weekly diary without ESPN and get 'em back in spades.
:thumbsup:

:roflmao:

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 04:46 PM

:?:

You sure about that?

Saracen
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
No it's not a double negative, and it's correct. Saying " I could care less" means "it is possible for me to care less"...ah semantics! :smile:

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
no. could not care less is a double negativeNot is the negative. Where is the second one?

"I could care less" means that you do care; there is still room for less caring, that it would be possible to care less than you do.

"I coudn't care less" means that you could care more, but not less, because you care the least amount possible.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Not is the negative. Where is the second one?

"I could care less" means that you do care; there is still room for less caring, that it would be possible to care less than you do.

"I coudn't care less" means that you could care more, but not less, because you care the least amount possible.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

It's complicated, Nellie, irregardless of what you think.
:wink:

TornLabrum
06-13-2005, 05:04 PM

I haven't figured any of this out as of yet.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 05:06 PM

It's a mute point anyways.

:redneck

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I should of known better.

dcb33
06-13-2005, 05:18 PM
You guys should set a better example. You never know how your errors may effect others.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 05:26 PM
You guys should set a better example. You never know your errors may effect others.

I think you ment "errs."

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2005, 12:49 AM
You guys should set a better example. You never know how your errors may effect others.You're right. Youngsters could read this and all the sudden they'll think this is the correct way to write.

voodoochile
06-14-2005, 01:07 AM

It's pretty simple actually...

Could you care less? If so then it's not the thing you care least about in this world. Hence it has SOME importance in your life.

Could you NOTcare less? If so than everything in your life has more importance than this thing we are talking about. It matters zero to you in the grand scheme of things. It carries no importance to you.

So the proper expression is, "I couldn't care less" when talking about things that don't matter to you.

FarWestChicago
06-14-2005, 01:11 AM
no. could not care less is a double negative:o: Keep your day job. English teacher is not in your future.

voodoochile
06-14-2005, 01:15 AM
You're right. Youngsters could read this and all the sudden they'll think this is the correct way to write.

so he goes like... i could of cared less and we were all like...R U wiggin! its could not of cared less. hes all like no... theirs no not...like ohmigawd...

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
so he goes like... i could of cared less and we were all like...R U wiggin! its could not of cared less. hes all like no... theirs no not...like ohmigawd...:rolling:

ClaudelSleptHere
06-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Now, back to the topic of the thread...what do you think if Frank Robinson wrote a letter to ESPN complaining about the lack of White Sox coverage?

bigfoot
06-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Much more to the point........Do you think that FRobinson's letter will cause MLB to allow the Nats to buy that player or two for the pennant drive?

Or will the other owners look after #1?!?!

TornLabrum
06-14-2005, 08:15 AM
:o: Keep your day job. English teacher is not in your future.

Isn't that a double negative?

Cellview22
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Another shocker from ESPN: I was flipping through the channels this morning and came across Cold Pizza, showing each city's sports headlines. I kept it because they were talking about Arizona's. They went on to talk about the 8-1 victory against the White Sox, and the older dude says "That division is so bad, anyone could beat them, except my Colorado Rockies".

I've heard a lot of stupid things from that channel, but this had me baffled the most.