PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Twins schedules through the AS break = not tough

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I thought it would be easy for the Sox to hold serve or gain ground against the Twins, seeing as we're going to be playing our longest homestand of the year in the next 2 weeks, but a comparison of both teams' schedules through the All-Star break show that the Twins don't exactly have it tough, either.

I've highlighted what I would consider the harder series for both teams.

Twins:
Giants - 3 games (home)
Padres - 3 games (home)
Tigers - 3 games (home)
Brewers - 3 games (away)
Royals - 3 games (home)
D-Rays - 3 games (home)
Angels - 3 games (away)
Royals - 4 games (away)

total 15 home/10 away

Sox:
D-Backs - 3 games (home)
Dodgers - 3 games (home)
Royals - 3 games (home)
Flubs - 3 games (home)
Tigers - 3 games (away)
A's - 3 games (away)
D-Rays - 3 games (home)
A's - 3 games (home)

total 18 home/6 away

Looking at all this, I would be happy to have the Sox at 6-7 games ahead by the end, considering the advantage in home vs. away games, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins were within 2-3 games.

voodoochile
06-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Did it feel strange not to highlight the away series against Oakland for the Sox?

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Did it feel strange not to highlight the away series against Oakland for the Sox?

Very. But I seriously believe this team has gotten over their mental block on that coast, and let's face it, the A's of 2005 aren't the A's of the early oughts.

DumpJerry
06-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Twins:
Giants - 3 games (home)
Padres - 3 games (home)
Tigers - 3 games (home)
Brewers - 3 games (away)
Royals - 3 games (home)
D-Rays - 3 games (home)
Angels - 3 games (away)
Royals - 4 games (away)

total 15 home/10 away

Sox:
D-Backs - 3 games (home)
Dodgers - 3 games (home)
Royals - 3 games (home)
Flubs - 3 games (home)
Tigers - 3 games (away)
A's - 3 games (away)
D-Rays - 3 games (home)
A's - 3 games (home)

total 18 home/6 away.
While I agree with your conlcusion that the Sox should have it kinda easy until the ASB, I disagree with your analysis of where the trouble lies for us and the Twinks. The Brewers will cause the Twins fits at Miller Park. I'm only worried about the A's series in Oakland for us. The Dodgers have not been playing real good lately and The World's Greatest Baseball Team (a.k.a The Flubs) does not cause me any concern.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2005, 12:54 AM
While I agree with your conlcusion that the Sox should have it kinda easy until the ASB, I disagree with your analysis of where the trouble lies for us and the Twinks. The Brewers will cause the Twins fits at Miller Park. I'm only worried about the A's series in Oakland for us. The Dodgers have not been playing real good lately and The World's Greatest Baseball Team (a.k.a The Flubs) does not cause me any concern.

I was going mostly by W-L record, not previous history of the matchups, so you might be right. As for Flubs/Sox, history has shown that the lesser of the 2 teams often ends up taking 2 of 3. Hopefully that won't be the case this year, since it didn't hold true for the series at the Urinal.

Mr. White Sox
06-13-2005, 01:05 AM
yeah, out of all the series there, oakland scares me the most by far. mr. sox killer a.k.a. Eric Chavez is on a tear, and the offense goes where he goes. The Sox have always (seemingly) had trouble with 1st-time/young/rookie starters, and the A's have plenty of those (Blanton, Haren, Harden, and Zito always kills the Sox as wel)

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't start to compare schedules at any time...too many things can happen overnight, injuries for one thing.

Just take every game as it comes and play hard.

The Sox need to have as big of a lead as they possibly can when August comes around because frankly they look like they are going to have a bitch of a two weeks.

Lip

elrod
06-13-2005, 01:23 AM
The A's are terrible, worse than when we played them in Oakland. Blanton and Haren have become downright mediocre, Zito is still struggling, Harden is still hurt, and I'm not sure Saarloos is even in the rotation anymore. Also, their bullpen outside Duscherer is awful.

I wonder how bad the Royals will be here on out. They are playing a lot better on Bell. I don't know that the Twins or White Sox will keep sweeping them so easily.

kojak
06-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Well said, elrod. KC has turned things around and I think will not be the doormat they were for the first third of the schedule.

mealfred13
06-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Hmmmmm....Maybe KW will drop the bomb on us during that Oakland road trip and trade Crede and Minor League prospect for Eric Chavez ala the Koch to the Marlins trade while we played in Florida.....

SSN721
06-13-2005, 08:53 AM
The A's definitely still scare me whenever we have to play out there. Even when the Sox seem the much better team, as they did earlier this year when they played there, they still lost 2 of 3 because of dubious circumstances. Amazingly I will have to agree with Lip here, just play each game hard, take it game by game, because you never know what can happen a few weeks down the road.

Tragg
06-13-2005, 10:02 AM
As went through about a 6 week long slump; but they did win the series at Atlanta, so they may be pulling out of it.

elrod
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
The A's definitely still scare me whenever we have to play out there. Even when the Sox seem the much better team, as they did earlier this year when they played there, they still lost 2 of 3 because of dubious circumstances. Amazingly I will have to agree with Lip here, just play each game hard, take it game by game, because you never know what can happen a few weeks down the road.

When we played Oakland earlier in the year they weren't such a bad team. They had their offensive struggles but their pitching staff was top notch. Remember Harden and Blanton with their sub-1.00 ERAs? Now their lineup is only marginally better (Chavez mostly) and their pitchers have fallen into the toilet.

elrod
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
As went through about a 6 week long slump; but they did win the series at Atlanta, so they may be pulling out of it.

Atlanta is really scuffling too. I'm not sure how well they'll contend without Chipper Jones, and with their bullpen still screwing up. The Nationals dispatched the A's with relative ease three straight. Of course, nobody's beating the Nats these days at rocking RFK.:D:

bluestar
06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Not to rain on any parades, but I very much agree with Lip. I don't think there is any such thing as "not tough" portions of the schedule, especially for the 2005 White Sox. The Sox seem to play everyone just well enough to win. There have been few real blowouts; even the Thursday night game in Colorado wasn't a blow out until the 8th inning.

I hope the Sox just continue to play each game as it comes and play everyone tough. It is amazing to think the Sox have been in all but two or three games this year. With a few different breaks here and there, they could easily have already won 50 games!

There is still a long ways to go, and I hope we can stay focused and injury free for the rest of the season.

Go Sox! :)

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2005, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't start to compare schedules at any time...too many things can happen overnight, injuries for one thing.

Just take every game as it comes and play hard.

The Sox need to have as big of a lead as they possibly can when August comes around because frankly they look like they are going to have a bitch of a two weeks.

Lip

Lip, "take every game as it comes and play hard" is excellent advice for the Sox players, coaches, staff, etc.

As for us totally biased, utterly petty and completely unobjective fans, from here the road ahead looks great! As you said, they need to build a big lead. This may be the best chance to strap it down and pad the lead going into the much-deserved three-day All Star break, where they can relax, spend time with family and recharge the mental batteries for a second-half run. All things being equal, they also should dominate in the month of September (including two games in October, 17 of the last 30 are at home, 27 of 30 are against the Central).

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

Madvora
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Yeah, the Twins have it comparitively light during that same stretch in August. One thing is that we have a couple of series against the Yankees. Let's hope by then they continue to play like they have. Also, we're lucky enough to play the Twins during that stretch for 6 games. The rest of those games won't really matter as long as we take care of business when it counts.

SoxSpeed22
06-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Both teams will win a ton of those games. It's possible that they could be the 2 best records in the AL. It's not gonna be easy trying to win past them.

Mr. White Sox
06-27-2005, 02:25 AM
yeah, out of all the series there, oakland scares me the most by far.

Wow, I quoted myself, that's a first I think :smile:.

The A's are 35-40, up from 25-37 when I posted this. Sorry to beat a dead horse/bring up old threads, but @OAK has always, and will always scare me the most, for the reasons I previously stated. Bringing up this thread also brings up a good point, in that Lip is right in playing every series one series at a time; teams change so much over the short and long-term that you can never truly predict the tough teams...LAD was supposed to be a really tough series, but then Gagne fell right beforehand and they just fell from there.

EDIT: It's also cool to see, when looking at the expectations, that the Sox have utterly and completely exceeded them heading up to the All Star break so far.

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
The A's have been heating up lately and there's talk on most sports websites, which of course should be taken *completely* seriously, that they have a shot at the playoffs. Pitching staff is solid (Haren, Harden, Zito, Street, Duscherer are all guys I do NOT want to be facing if we can't even rock Jamoke Williams) and their batters are all looking better and better as the year progresses. We can take em, but I'll be wearing my lucky hat and doing some serious drinking and yelling at the TV during that first matchup.

Anyone know the projected Tigers starters for this week?