PDA

View Full Version : Is this hypocritical by Flub fans?

DumpJerry
06-12-2005, 10:18 PM
OK, I as sick as everyone else hearing about The Urinal is more "fun" to attend a ballgame at becuase they have all these bars nearby for pregame and post 7th inning partying (nobody seems to stay after the 7th there no matter the score). The same Flub fans ridicule the Sox because there are "no" bars for fans to socialize at (they don't seem to know about Jimbo's and others). The Flub fans seem to tie in attendance figures with the proximity of drinking holes to the ballpark.

I realize this is a ton of hooey. There is a sports team in Chicago which sells out all of their games with 60,000+ fans year in and year out and the nearest bar of any type outside the stadium is miles away. The team? The Bears.

I feel this confirms my theory that Sox fans do not support mediocrity when the team does not perform while Flub fans are just looking for a cold beer and cute girl. Flub fans accuse of being fair weather, I tell them we give the team incentive to improve. Sox attendance would not be affected by nearby bars even if there were 25 such establishments within two blocks of Comiskey if they do not win.

PicktoCLick72
06-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Agreed.

SOXPHILE
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I second that. Hey, we Sox fans like going out to party with our friends, drink, hang out, check out and flirt/hit on the opposite sex. It's just that when we do it, we go to places called "bars", "nightclubs" or "restaurants". Call me silly, but when I go to a ballpark, I go there to...oh, I don't know....WATCH A BASEBALL GAME !

cheeses_h_rice
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
The Cubs also benefit from:

-an enormous population of post-collegiate mooks living in the surrounding 3-mile area
-an old ballpark

Cub fans conflate "fandom" of their team with fandom of the experience of going to a game there. Any intellectually honest Cub fan would admit that a huge reason they draw so well is because it's a tourist destination and because so many people living around the park have a lot of disposable income and consider Wrigley Field an extension to their post-collegiate barhopping/partying activities.

The Sox draw about 2/3rds of the crowds that Wrigley does, and I consider that a decent amount of people paying to see games there. You can pretty much count on those people going just for the ballgame, since our park isn't ancient and not many people live close by.

paciorek1983
06-12-2005, 11:38 PM
We still need bars. Jimbo's is not enough. We still need to draw better in attendence than we do. We don't need Wrigleyvile, but our area is pathetic for the casual fan. Baseball is now a huge entertainment industry and as a surrounding area of the ballpark, it is not good enough.

Regardless for me, those things don't determine how many games I attend, but you're all kidding yourselves if you think it doesn't matter in this day and age. If it didn't we wouldn't talk about it so much. That's the way it is.

DumpJerry
06-12-2005, 11:51 PM
We still need bars. Jimbo's is not enough. We still need to draw better in attendence than we do. We don't need Wrigleyvile, but our area is pathetic for the casual fan. Baseball is now a huge entertainment industry and as a surrounding area of the ballpark, it is not good enough.

Regardless for me, those things don't determine how many games I attend, but you're all kidding yourselves if you think it doesn't matter in this day and age. If it didn't we wouldn't talk about it so much. That's the way it is.
Sure it would be nice to have a couple of more places to hang out, but my point is that the Bears draw 60,000+ to their games and there is nary a place within walking distance to hang out in afterwards. I guess this proves that alcohol is not what draws fans to a game unless the fans don't give a hoot about the actual game being played and want to spend 10 times what they would for the same experience in another location (drink beer and flirt with attractive people in a bar that does not charge $40+ cover plus inflated beer prices).

elrod
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Football is different. There is no tradition, anywhere, of fans going to bars before football games. It's all about tailgating. Baseball is much more of an urban, destination sport so people expect to be able to go to bars before the game. Even Yankee Stadium, in one of the worst neighborhoods in New York City, has a few taverns just outside the stadium on River Avenue that fill up just before games. There really is no reason why just to the west of the train tracks there are no bars. There should three or four before you even get to Grandstand's.

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 12:34 AM
i agree with the fact that cubs fans are a joke and are just there to get drunk, and that more bars wont get more fans to The Cell, only winning will. let the "loveable losers" fans talk all the smack they want bc when it comes down to it, were simply a better ball team and if they cant realize that, well...i guess thats a typical cubs fan in a nutshell

paciorek1983
06-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Football is different. There is no tradition, anywhere, of fans going to bars before football games. It's all about tailgating. Baseball is much more of an urban, destination sport so people expect to be able to go to bars before the game. Even Yankee Stadium, in one of the worst neighborhoods in New York City, has a few taverns just outside the stadium on River Avenue that fill up just before games. There really is no reason why just to the west of the train tracks there are no bars. There should three or four before you even get to Grandstand's.

Yep:cool:

Banix12
06-13-2005, 01:30 AM
I realize this is a ton of hooey. There is a sports team in Chicago which sells out all of their games with 60,000+ fans year in and year out and the nearest bar of any type outside the stadium is miles away. The team? The Bears.

I feel this confirms my theory that Sox fans do not support mediocrity when the team does not perform while Flub fans are just looking for a cold beer and cute girl. Flub fans accuse of being fair weather, I tell them we give the team incentive to improve. Sox attendance would not be affected by nearby bars even if there were 25 such establishments within two blocks of Comiskey if they do not win.

First, football is different because there are far fewer games. The demand for tickets is greater just by the fact there are a lot of football fans and only 16 regular season games, compared to baseball's 162.

As for ripping on cubs fans, there are a lot of things I can rip them for: supporting lousy teams, throwing back HR's, Ronnie Woo Woo, a tendency toward public urination etc, etc, etc, sounds like a broken record. However I can never fault any man, no matter what their affiliation, for just looking for a cold beer and a cute girl. Those are some solid priorities there

Baseball is usually a long game(unless Buehrle is pitching) with a lot of time between pitches and innings. So there is time to watch the game and have cold beer and talk to cute girls. In fact one of U.S. Cellular's great advantages is in the lower bowl you can chat up a girl on the concourse and still get fantastic views of the ballgame. You may miss a pitch or two but you get the important stuff.

So throwing back a HR is bad, but chatting up a cute girl at the Churro stand is always good. And anybody who disagrees with that is spending way too much time on the internet.

C-Dawg
06-13-2005, 05:47 AM
The Cubs also benefit from:

-an enormous population of post-collegiate mooks living in the surrounding 3-mile area
-an old ballpark

One part of the population that is very scarce at Wrigley Field is families with kids.... Think about it, if you're going to take the kids out to a ball game, there's no way you're going to plan it months in advance, and buy tickets from the Tribune's own scalping service, etc, when you can get them at face value at the Cell on the day of the game, usually. I'm not saying there are no little kids at Wrigley at all, just that they are there in numbers FAR less than you see at the Cell. The White Sox experience is much more family-friendly.

DumpJerry
06-13-2005, 07:27 AM
One part of the population that is very scarce at Wrigley Field is families with kids.... Think about it, if you're going to take the kids out to a ball game, there's no way you're going to plan it months in advance, and buy tickets from the Tribune's own scalping service, etc, when you can get them at face value at the Cell on the day of the game, usually. I'm not saying there are no little kids at Wrigley at all, just that they are there in numbers FAR less than you see at the Cell. The White Sox experience is much more family-friendly.
Comiskey is much. much more family (kid) friendly than The Urinal. There is the FUNDamentals Deck which makes them not only feel welcome, but is tons of fun for the kids, the between inning entertainment on the scoreboard which is ridiculed by ignorant Flub fans is designed to distract the kids during dead time which is a tremendous assist to the parents (funny how people who are parents never ridicule the video games). The wide open and bright concources are kid friendly because it is easier to hold onto the kids in your charge and the kids are not intimidated by dark, crowded and scary surroundings.

It is clear which place is better for parents with kids in tow.

Chicago83
06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
OK, I as sick as everyone else hearing about The Urinal is more "fun" to attend a ballgame at becuase they have all these bars nearby for pregame and post 7th inning partying (nobody seems to stay after the 7th there no matter the score). The same Flub fans ridicule the Sox because there are "no" bars for fans to socialize at (they don't seem to know about Jimbo's and others). The Flub fans seem to tie in attendance figures with the proximity of drinking holes to the ballpark.

There is a huge difference between football attendance and baseball. There are only 8 football home games a season so selling out at 60k is still not even close to the amount of people who see the cubs or sox with 81 home games. You can't compare the two. Besides, above all this a football town and the bears will sell out no matter what.

I think that the surrounding neighborhood of the cell does not help attendance at all, but is not the reason the cubs sell out and we don't. You got to realize that this is a cub's town and 75% of the population would choose the cubs over the sox. The rest either don't care or are real baseball fans and go to the south side.

PatK
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I feel this confirms my theory that Sox fans do not support mediocrity when the team does not perform while Flub fans are just looking for a cold beer and cute girl.

Or a cute guy. Remember, Halsted St. is just two blocks away. It's just a hop, skip, and sashay from Wrigley, if you're so inclined.

I live close to there, and I've noticed that it seems like they are always packing 'em in at the bars on Halsted on Flubs game days.

I need to sell and move out. The sheer volume, stupidity, and annoyance of the Flubs fans the last 2-3 years has made me hate it.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
comparing attendance in football and baseball is a huge mistake. baseball is unlike ANY other sport as teams play 81 home games. that's 1000% more than football teams who only play 8 home games a year. of course bears games sell out.

just wanted to point that out. not disagreeing with anything else you said.

jdm2662
06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Football is a sport by itself. I'm much a bigger football fan than baseball for the simple fact they only play once a week and 16 games a year. Chicago is first and foremost a Bears town, despite what any stupid Cub fan says. The Bears winning the Super Bowl was by far the biggest sporting event this city has ever experienced, and ever will.
________
Voyeur college (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1150/college/videos/1)

skobabe8
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
comparing attendance in football and baseball is a huge mistake. baseball is unlike ANY other sport as teams play 81 home games. that's 1000% more than football teams who only play 8 home games a year. of course bears games sell out.

just wanted to point that out. not disagreeing with anything else you said.

Agreed.

There could easily be a couple of places right by Grandstands. You cant tell me the good folks over there at the store wouldnt absolutely love that.