PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Are Classless

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 10:29 PM
The Cubs are really a classless organazation. Tonight Damon needed just a single to get the Cycle. Instead they walked him on 4 straight pitches that were way out of the zone. Why not just throw him a strike.

itsnotrequired
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Damon is classy enough to take it. You think he would have held up on an easy double just to get the cycle?

PAPChiSox729
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
The Cubs are really a classless organazation. Tonight Damon needed just a single to get the Cycle. Instead they walked him on 4 straight pitches that were way out of the zone. Why not just throw him a strike.

He had a second chance in the bottom of the ninth. He flew out to right on the first pitch.

Cubbiesuck13
06-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I have to say this is one time that I don't fault the Flubs. No team wants to be in the highlights for something negative like being no hit or having the cycle hit on their pitchers. I wouldn't want Damon to hit the cycle on the SOX because of pride. I really didn't know the Flubs had any. I bet he was trying to throw some meat in there (after the love affair they have had this weekend) but couldn't find the zone.

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Damon is classy enough to take it. You think he would have held up on an easy double just to get the cycle?He is a classy guy. He is one of my favorite players.

cheeses_h_rice
06-12-2005, 10:44 PM
:whocares

Where in the Big Book of Baseball Class does it say that you're supposed to allow your opponent to humiliate you, especially when you're still trying to win the game?

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Where in the Big Book of Baseball Class does it say that you're supposed to allow your opponent to humiliate you, especially when you're still trying to win the game?the game was 7-1. Wakefield was lights out, so it was over.

cheeses_h_rice
06-12-2005, 11:11 PM
the game was 7-1. Wakefield was lights out, so it was over.

6 runs is not an insurmountable lead against anyone, and Boston's bullpen has had its share of problems.

Mr. White Sox
06-13-2005, 12:11 AM
who here thinks the cycle is one of the more overrated feats one can accomplish in baseball? if I were a player, I'd be much happier with a 3B/2HR/2B day instead of the cycle, but that's just me I guess.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2005, 01:58 AM
who here thinks the cycle is one of the more overrated feats one can accomplish in baseball? Not me. The cycle is rarer than a no-hitter. But, no, I don't think you should pull up at first on a double just to get it. Yes, 11 total bases is better than 10.

Viva Medias B's
06-13-2005, 07:58 AM
This rant reminds me of Bob Brenley when he whined about Ben Davis ruining Curt Schilling's perfect game with a bunt single.

spiffie
06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Not me. The cycle is rarer than a no-hitter.
I just had to go and look up stuff on this because otherwise I would be working while at work :D:

According to http://www.hickoksports.com/history/cyclehitting.shtml they are about equally rare, with 229 no-hitters and 237 cycles hit over the years.

I really would have thought the cycle happened more often. Oh well.

mantis1212
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
the game was 7-1. Wakefield was lights out, so it was over.

So that means they should just groove one in there for him to get a special little stat? I'm sorry, i don't agree with that.

Just like someone else said, it reminds me of Brenley complaining about a bunt hit during a no-hitter.

jdm2662
06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't agree with this at all. It's almost like saying the Sox are classless for not allowing Mike Cameron to hit a fifth HR against them. Come on, you don't do things just to make history... You play the game to win.
________
JUGGALOS (http://juggalos.org/)

Jerko
06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
The Cubs should have "let" him get the cycle. After all, he's theirs next year if all the mediots get their way. Now they hurt his prehistoric feelings.

Uncle_Patrick
06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think it was classless at all. I'm not a big fan of this notion that there is a point where an opposing team should sort of make it easier for a player to achieve some sort of milestone if its late in a game and he's almost there. First and foremost, this teams should be playing to win.

Damon went to the plate 6 times (5 ABs plus the walk), so he had his chance.

Jerko
06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't think it was classless at all. I'm not a big fan of this notion that there is a point where an opposing team should sort of make it easier for a player to achieve some sort of milestone if its late in a game and he's almost there. First and foremost, this teams should be playing to win.

Damon went to the plate 6 times (5 ABs plus the walk), so he had his chance.

I remember an NBA game a few years back where a guy had a breakaway but needed one more rebound for some kind of record. What did he do? Missed the shot on purpose so he could get the board. That's sickening to me. If you don't earn it "honestly", what does it really mean? As for the Cubs, I remember a pitcher of theirs practically admitting "grooving" a pitch to McLiar on his 62nd homer or whatever steroid-induced number it was. And Cameron batted 6 times too in his 4 homer game; the fans just got pissed because he got beaned in his 5th at bat. I was there that night and the booing made me mad. I was glad they plunked him; they were being embarrassed.

itsnotrequired
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
I remember a few years ago when the Lakers were up on some other team by 20 or so points late in the game and Shaq called a timeout. WHy? He wanted to set up a play which would let him get a triple-double. *****...

ISuck05
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
yep thats why the Cubs Suck

dcb33
06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
No one can blame Cubs pitching for walking Damon, hell I wouldn't want to be the guy that gives up the cycle.

It would've been nice to see Damon get it, though, since the last Boston player to hit for the cycle was John Valentin on June 6, 1996, against our beloved Pale Hose.

MIgrenade
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I guess these are the "unwritten rules" of baseball. Since it was a blowout I bet many pitchers would go after him but I don't see why they have to. This is not like bunting so you don't break up a no hitter. I don't see why it has to be done, especially if you want to have a chance to win.
At any rate, it isn't the Cub's fault, it's the pitcher's fault if you really want to blame someone.

Captian Ron
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Cubs lost and I won money on it.:gulp:

dcb33
06-13-2005, 01:08 PM
I remember an NBA game a few years back where a guy had a breakaway but needed one more rebound for some kind of record. What did he do? Missed the shot on purpose so he could get the board. That's sickening to me. If you don't earn it "honestly", what does it really mean? As for the Cubs, I remember a pitcher of theirs practically admitting "grooving" a pitch to McLiar on his 62nd homer or whatever steroid-induced number it was. And Cameron batted 6 times too in his 4 homer game; the fans just got pissed because he got beaned in his 5th at bat. I was there that night and the booing made me mad. I was glad they plunked him; they were being embarrassed.

I remember hearing about that. I did some research and the guy who did this was Bob Sura of the Hawks:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240412001

kittle42
06-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Remember that game where Parque and Rauch "let" Boone and Cameron hit back-to-backers twice in the same inning. Classy!