PDA

View Full Version : MLB picking All-Star pitchers, reserves

Cubbiesuck13
06-12-2005, 09:01 PM
The manager of the defending world champion Boston Red Sox is aware players on the surprising White Sox are having deserving seasons, even though the Red Sox haven't played them yet, but he indicated officials from both leagues will make many of the final decisions this year.

I don't know if I like this or not.
One thing is for sure though, the MLB took their sweet time finally making a decision on this...

The new All-Star selection guidelines were instituted after the 2004 contest, partly because of New York Yankees manager Joe Torre loading up with his own players. Eight Yankees were on the '04 AL roster. Torre had seven on his 2001 AL team and six in '02.

Now if they can only work on the starters and getting rid of the "it means something" rule.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-star12.html

soxwon
06-12-2005, 09:27 PM
who exactly makes up "major league baseball"?

selig and hendry ??????????????????????

Cubbiesuck13
06-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Thanks, now I have something else to worry about. I wasn't even thinking about that.

SomebodyToldMe
06-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Could you imagine if it was Selig?

:tool
"This year's All-Star game will be the Cubs vs. the Red Sox. That'll be good for baseball. And to prove that the game means something, the winner will automatically be World Series champs. Again, it'll be good for the game of baseball."

munchman33
06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Great. I can see it now. With four or five deserving candadites we'll be stuck with one representative.

NonetheLoaiza
06-12-2005, 10:05 PM
All I care about are the games in October. If we have 1 guy go to the game, but win the World Series, it doesn't matter. That being said, it would be a nice thing if the players on this team were noticed for being members of the best team in baseball.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Selig does offer opinions but I read that most of the recommendations came from guys like sandy Alderson and Bob Watson. Now that they are gone I don't know who will be helping in the All Star Popularity Farce.

Lip

FRANK FORT
06-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Quite honestly, the All Star Game is a joke. We all know it's a BS populartiy contest. Why even get worked up about it? I think the Sox play better with a chip on their shoulder.

Cubbiesuck13
06-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Quite honestly, the All Star Game is a joke. We all know it's a BS populartiy contest. Why even get worked up about it? I think the Sox play better with a chip on their shoulder.

The All-Star game is a joke and it was ok to not get worked up over it when it didn't matter who won. I think home field advantage is a pretty big deal to get worked up over. I won't get into the pride aspect of seeing the best team in baseball have more than two guys on the team.

mccoydp
06-13-2005, 08:48 AM
All-Star selections don't guarantee a ring in the postseason.

The Sox need to focus on the ALDS, ALCS, and WS, all in that order.

munchman33
06-13-2005, 10:26 AM
All-Star selections don't guarantee a ring in the postseason.

The Sox need to focus on the ALDS, ALCS, and WS, all in that order.

All-Star selections give exposure to our team and our players. It helps market our team, and could lead to future revenue streams.

I'm not saying winning it all this year isn't the most important thing. But I'd like it if we could be this good every year.

spiffie
06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Regarding the ASG and the home-field thing, I could understand people getting worked up more if before the new system the home-field were given as a reward for good play or some other merit-based system. But since it was just alternated every year it's not like the system was any more fair in determining it prior to this. Just imagine the wailing if the Sox say were to go 99-63 while the NL wild card team with an 87-75 record snuck into the WS and had home field because it was the NL's turn for home field advantage. Yes this system is flawed, but at least it's vaguely decided on the field as to who will have home field advantage. I still think it should be either given on the basis of A) best record or if you want it to be more of a league-wide thing make it whichever league has the best record in interleague play.

fusillirob1983
06-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I agree that this system for choosing home field advantage in the World Series is not too much more fair than alternating, but I think that the teams who are in better position to make the playoffs heading into the All-Star should have more players than a team not in the race with lots of people that may be chosen. There's some exceptions, like how a player from each team is needed, but I don't think a team comparable to the 2004 Indians should have 5 players in the All-Star game. They might not want to win the All-Star game as badly as a player on a first place team.

balke
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
This just means that Randy Johnson will be starting in the All-Star game, with Johan Santana #2 Mike Mussina as #3, Bonderman #4 and Jon Garland will be a reserve, unless his ERA goes up, in which case they won't invite him.

I hate the All-star game, its so dirty. Just like any popularity contest. What were there 5 Indians last season? 6 yankees? GMAB.

Cubbiesuck13
06-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Sox pitchers Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle and Dustin Hermanson have the best chance to represent the team. This season, pitchers and reserves will be selected more by voting among players and league representatives than the managers of the teams, Francona and the St. Louis Cardinals' Tony La Russa for the National League.

''I think that will be better for everyone,'' Guillen said. "Most managers tend to take their own players if they had good years the year before. And not just Joe Torre.'' The New York manager selected five of his players as reserves last year, giving the Yankees eight representatives.
(my bold emphasis)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep18.html

Looks like it isn't going to just be the MLB picking the reserves.