PDA

View Full Version : Is Vizcaino turning the corner?

Buehrle > Wood
06-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I mentioned this in the post-game thread. He has not allowed any runs in his last 6.2 IP, and no hits in his last 3.2 IP. He has pretty good stuff. Will this trend continue?

Cowhead418
06-12-2005, 07:47 PM
If Vizcaino can become reliable then this pen will be unstoppable. Keep it up Viz!

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 07:56 PM
I think he, Shingo, and Marte all need to pitch better. I think they will all do that to.

Nard
06-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes. He was lights out at the start of the year and it looks like he's coming back.

Edit: And yes, I mean it. Lights out. That Cleveland game was bull****.

FloridaSox
06-12-2005, 08:05 PM
...giving up runs in 3 of his first 4 appearances...but I agree that he turned it up in June. We need Viz to perform at a high level...our bullpen is a key part of our game strategy and we cannot allow non-performers (that's you Shingo).

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Hopefully it's a trend and not an aberration.

Lip

FloridaSox
06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
WHIP .75 to 1.24
K/9 10.13 to 5.6
K/W 27/7 to 17/10

No knock on Hermy who carried us through May...but Politte has been our best bullpen arm.

infohawk
06-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Vizcaino is the kind of pitcher who needs to pitch on a regular basis to be successful. He will be just fine as long as he gets consistent playing time.

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Vizcaino is the kind of pitcher who needs to pitch on a regular basis to be successful. He will be just fine as long as he gets consistent playing time.I think both Shingo, Vizcaino, and Marte need that. Marte is hurt right now though so forget about that.

BRDSR
06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Hopefully it's a trend and not an aberration.

Lip

Officially nominated as the Bob Brenley/Len Kasper quote of the week.

hose
06-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I mentioned this in the post-game thread. He has not allowed any runs in his last 6.2 IP, and no hits in his last 3.2 IP. He has pretty good stuff. Will this trend continue?

Vizcaino is a huge factor if he can keep it going on.

elrod
06-12-2005, 11:29 PM
I thought Vizcaino's performance tonight was one of the most important aspects of the game. He still gets behind hitters too much, and he left a few cookies up there that the Padres didn't crush. But he is much better than earlier this season. Vizcaino has struggled more than just the one Cleveland game, too. He was really struggling every time out there for a month and a half. But since mid-May he seems to be finding his groove.

SOXPHILE
06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes, I always have thought the guy is a good pitcher, and was HOPING he was just going through a rough period that he can overcome. A couple of good outings, hey, maybe that's all he needed to get his confidence back, and work out whatever was wrong. Keep it up !

Mr. White Sox
06-12-2005, 11:38 PM
He seems to be looking better, but like a previous poster said, he is leaving some cookies there. There was a hanging slider hit pretty hard, but right at krazy karl today...if he can keep his slider moving and out of the zone, he'll be great.

DaleJRFan
06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
WHIP .75 to 1.24
K/9 10.13 to 5.6
K/W 27/7 to 17/10

No knock on Hermy who carried us through May...but Politte has been our best bullpen arm.

No knock on Hermie either, but I agree with you. Hermanson, even when he was working with a 0.00 ERA was giving up a lot of hits and walks. Politte gives up nothing. Politte could be an extremely effective closer on any team in MLB.

Hell, he can pinch hit and pinch run, too.

HawkISox
06-13-2005, 12:50 AM
If Viz and Shingo get turned around...it will be huge. The guy has great stuff....as someone else mentioned, he is one of those guys who needs to be out there 3 times a week...but with the Sox starters going 7 or 8 almost every game...tough to get all the relievers work.

ShoelessJoeS
06-13-2005, 01:55 AM
ive noticed too that vizcaino has been pitching rather well lately, other than that one outing where he pitched in extras for like 3 innings against cleveland and got tossed around...has he ever been lit up since?

and ive been saying it for a while too, why not politte as our closer...his ks per walk is off the charts and his whip is like half of hermys. no offense to hermy, but is it time to step down and let politte continue his dominance as the anchor of the pen?

elrod
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
If you take out the Cleveland game (6ER in 2.1 IP) Vizcaino's ERA is 3.72. That one game alone makes his ERA 5.28. Since that one game was the third of the season, and it was under exceptional circumstances, it makes sense to evaluate him overall without it. I'd say he's earned some more late-inning tight-game work, though I would never let him pitch more than an inning.

tstrike2000
06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
The bullpen as a whole besides Politte and Cotts is shaky. However, Shingo's even more shaky than Vizcaino right now. Vizcaino has really good movement on his pitches when he's on. Shingo hasn't been able to get the frisbee over which turns the fastball into batting practice. We may have to try Politte in a save situation with Hermy being a little touchy lately. Ozzie needs him for middle relief though.

RallyBowl
06-13-2005, 06:50 PM
I mentioned this in the post-game thread. He has not allowed any runs in his last 6.2 IP, and no hits in his last 3.2 IP. He has pretty good stuff. Will this trend continue?Short answer-No. Long answer- I don't think so.

MasQbellesa
06-13-2005, 06:57 PM
No knock on Hermie either, but I agree with you. Hermanson, even when he was working with a 0.00 ERA was giving up a lot of hits and walks. Politte gives up nothing. Politte could be an extremely effective closer on any team in MLB.

Hell, he can pinch hit and pinch run, too.

And yesterday Politte proved it. He walked onto the mound knowing his stuff is good. And props out to Mark on his showing on Saturday night....even that crawling toss to first made the Pads fan gasp. I was CHEERING!:bandance:

Jurr
06-13-2005, 07:44 PM
The bullpen as a whole besides Politte and Cotts is shaky. However, Shingo's even more shaky than Vizcaino right now. Vizcaino has really good movement on his pitches when he's on. Shingo hasn't been able to get the frisbee over which turns the fastball into batting practice. We may have to try Politte in a save situation with Hermy being a little touchy lately. Ozzie needs him for middle relief though.
This is why a trade needs to be made for some type of reliever that's dependable. You've got Shingo, who's useless. You've got Vizcaino, who scares you to death. Marte's not Mr. Reliable, either.

That leaves you with Cotts, Politte, and Hermie to shoulder the load. It would be nice to get a good middle reliever that can bridge at times (or, you could put Hermie in that role and get a big time closer). I think Hermanson could get the job done, and I think he can be a good closer, but getting a Billy Wagner would be great (thanks for that damn 12-1 homestand, a-holes! Way to get back into the race, Phils!), but he's not going to be available. Worst case scenario, we need to get a middle reliever..pronto.