PDA

View Full Version : Nevin: Marlins and Braves better than White Sox

MRKARNO
06-12-2005, 11:02 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/121sd2.htm

After the White Sox beat San Diego on Friday night, Padres first baseman Phil Nevin was asked by a San Diego reporter whether facing the red-hot South Siders provided a good measuring stick for the Padres. "We don't use this as a measuring point," Nevin said. "At our best, we've swept teams like Atlanta, Florida, won three of four in St. Louis. I don't think (the Sox are) better than those teams."

LOL! Someone remind him that those teams are 3 games over .500 (St. Louis not included) and that the White Sox are 21 games over .500.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 11:15 AM
LOL! Someone remind him that those teams are 3 games over .500 (St. Louis not included) and that the White Sox are 21 games over .500.

This is just the same old tired National League bravado. It's been like this for at least 50 years. The NLers think their version of the sport is superior because they let the pitcher make an ass of himself at the plate every 2-3 innings. Go figure...

:kukoo:

So Nevin can't help but think the Sox aren't the real deal -- even to make a complete ass of himself publicly declaring the NL's garbage superior to the best team in the majors.

:roflmao:

Brian26
06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
So Nevin can't help but think the Sox aren't the real deal -- even to make a complete ass of himself publicly declaring the NL's garbage superior to the best team in the majors.

I guess he needs something new to bitch about because he used up all of his allotted whining last year about the difficult dimensions at Petco. :whiner:

BigEdWalsh
06-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Funny he would make these remarks after going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts.

Shut up, Phil!

Brian26
06-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Funny he would make these remarks after going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts.

Shut up, Phil!

This clown has screwed my fantasy team for the past two years too. He's about due to go on the DL again any minute now.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I think it's worth noting that back in the 1970s it was probably true the NL was a superior league to the AL. No less an authority than ex-Phillies Dick Allen attributed his MVP-caliber success in the AL to what he called the "***** pitching" he faced in the AL compared to the hardball of guys like Gibson, Drysdale and Marichal in the NL.
:redface:

However that definitely changed with the '84 Tigers. They crushed everything in their path and ushered in a whole new mindset across the American League. It has never looked back.

Over the last 20 years the AL has produced some truly wicked teams, including the late-80s/early-90's Athletics, the mid-90s Indians, and the late-90s Yankees. And what has the National League answered with? Bobby Cox's annual October choke-athon in Atlanta.

99 percent of the NL teams the last 20 years haven't been worth a warm bucket of spit. **** Nevin. He's a complete dope.

MiamiSpartan
06-12-2005, 11:48 AM
The Marlins may have a lot of talent, but they most asuredly are not as good as the Sox....He's on crack.

chisoxfanatic
06-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd take our starting 5, our batting 9, our bench, and our bullpen all over the Marlins. There's something that deals with this chemistry and discipline the team on the right side of Chicago has over the Marlins.

pudgefisk27
06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Just keep in mind the difference in games above .500 might have to deal with the strength of divisions. Those teams play each other 18 or whatever times a year and are all solid clubs.

Are we honestly going to compare teams like Washington, Florida, Atlanta, Mets and Phils to teams like KC, Cleveland, Detroit? It's not even close; aside from the Twins, there isn't a valid comparison to be made.

SoxBoy22
06-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Mr. Nevin forgets, that his great team, got beat up by the Cub, last week. It sounds like sour grapes to me.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Just keep in mind the difference in games above .500 might have to deal with the strength of divisions. Those teams play each other 18 or whatever times a year and are all solid clubs.

Juuuuust one little problem with your analysis pudgefisk. The Sox have been kicking EVERYONE'S ass.

Not just the Twins.
Not just the AL Central.
Not even just the American League, but the National League, too.

It's posts like yours that make me truly scared for what sort of thought process is going through the mind of the average fan's head. Is there ANY thought process at all???
:o:

I defy you to slice the Sox' 41-20 record any way you want and draw an opposite conclusion.
:?:

Daver
06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Al Davis said it best.

Just win, baby.

FarWestChicago
06-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Juuuuust one little problem with your analysis pudgefisk. The Sox have been kicking EVERYONE'S ass. Looked like a crossdresser post to me. We'll see. :redneck

soxtalker
06-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't know. It would seem to me that a Padres' player would have good reason to be confident. They've split with us so far, and they aren't even throwing their best pitchers at us. I'm not saying I would agree with that analysis, but I don't see where it is so obviously wrong.

As for those other teams, I don't know how we'd do against them. St. Louis has looked good all season -- almost matching us on record. Florida's pitching scares me, though I can't say their record does.

In the end, maybe it is better that they aren't overly impressed with us.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Perhaps Nevin should be reminded that the Padres have not had worry about facing the Sox best hitter during this series. I have the impression that if Frank Thomas had played last night, things would have turned out differently. I have been laughing at some of the bulletin board material other players have been spewing out recently. The Sox really haven't played to their potential yet, primarily because of Thomas' absence. Once Ozzie is able to settle on a regular lineup, this team is really going to start doing damage.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I don't know. It would seem to me that a Padres' player would have good reason to be confident. They've split with us so far, and they aren't even throwing their best pitchers at us. I'm not saying I would agree with that analysis, but I don't see where it is so obviously wrong.

As for those other teams, I don't know how we'd do against them. St. Louis has looked good all season -- almost matching us on record. Florida's pitching scares me, though I can't say their record does.

In the end, maybe it is better that they aren't overly impressed with us.

Yeah. Talking trash after TWO GAMES is always based on great insights.

In the end, maybe it is better that Nevin doesn't already have a job at ESPN or the Cubune. Clearly he's qualified.

:kukoo:

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Maybe Phil ought to check out the standings before he opens his mouth. The Marlins are said to be ready to dump Jack McKeon, also.

PAPChiSox729
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Perhaps Nevin should be reminded that the Padres have not had worry about facing the Sox best hitter during this series. I have the impression that if Frank Thomas had played last night, things would have turned out differently. I have been laughing at some of the bulletin board material other players have been spewing out recently. The Sox really haven't played to their potential yet, primarily because of Thomas' absence. Once Ozzie is able to settle on a regular lineup, this team is really going to start doing damage.

I would have to agree with you there. Once Frank is back and in the lineup regularly, this team is going to be a lot tougher. I don't like making excuses though, it sounds very Cub-esque to me. Then again, we have been doing a pretty good job without Frank!

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 02:09 PM
And, for the record, here is the complete listing of World Series Champions, dating back to 1984.

1984: Detroit Tigers (AL)
1985: Kansas City Royals (AL)
1986: New York Mets (NL)
1987: Minnesota Twins (AL)
1988: Los Angeles Dodgers (NL)
1989: Oakland Athletics (AL)
1990: Cincinnati Reds (NL)
1991: Minnesota Twins (AL)
1992: Toronto Blue Jays (AL)
1993: Toronto Blue Jays (AL)
1994: Strike Year
1995: Atlanta Braves (NL)
1996: New York Yankees (AL)
1997: Florida Marlins (NL)
1998: New York Yankees (AL)
1999: New York Yankees (AL)
2000: New York Yankees (AL)
2001: Arizona Diamondbacks (NL)
2002: Anaheim Angels (AL)
2003: Florida Marlins (NL)
2004: Boston Red Sox (AL)

In total, thirteen AL teams have captured the WS title, compared to only seven NL teams. Nevin needs to review his baseball history before he starts spouting off.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Check out the All- Popularity Contest (nee All-Star) results since 1988 as well.

Lip

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Check out the All- Popularity Contest (nee All-Star) results since 1988 as well.

Lip

1988: American League (Terry Steinbach)
1989: American League (Bo Jackson)
1990: American League (Julio Franco)
1991: American League (Cal Ripken Jr.)
1992: American League (Ken Griffey Jr.)
1993: American League (Kirby Puckett)
1994: National League (Fred McGriff)
1995: National League (Jeff Conine)
1996: National League (Mike Piazza)
1997: American League (Sandy Alomar Jr.)
1998: American League (Roberto Alomar)
1999: American League (Pedro Martinez)
2000: American League (Derek Jeter)
2001: American League (Cal Ripken Jr.)
2002: Tie (None)
2003: American League (Garrett Anderson)
2004: American League (Alfonso Soriano)

ShoelessJoeS
06-12-2005, 02:54 PM
1988: American League (Terry Steinbach)
1989: American League (Bo Jackson)
1990: American League (Julio Franco)
1991: American League (Cal Ripken Jr.)
1992: American League (Ken Griffey Jr.)
1993: American League (Kirby Puckett)
1994: National League (Fred McGriff)
1995: National League (Jeff Conine)
1996: National League (Mike Piazza)
1997: American League (Sandy Alomar Jr.)
1998: American League (Roberto Alomar)
1999: American League (Pedro Martinez)
2000: American League (Derek Jeter)
2001: American League (Cal Ripken Jr.)
2002: Tie (None)
2003: American League (Garrett Anderson)
2004: American League (Alfonso Soriano)
im glad to see the ALs dominance the last couple decades but does anyone else think its insane to reward home field advantage in the world series to the winner of this exhibition?

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 02:56 PM
im glad to see the ALs dominance the last couple decades but does anyone else think its insane to reward home field advantage in the world series to the winner of this exhibition?

I do. I've always thought that homefield advantage should be determined by won-loss records during the regular season, but that's just me. For some reason, baseball always tried to alternate between AL and NL cities, only to change the rules after the 2002 debacle.

mantis1212
06-12-2005, 03:54 PM

Yes, ESPECIALLY since the starters are voted in by ignorant fans voting for names they are told are cool.

BigEdWalsh
06-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Al Davis said it best.

Just win, baby.

And Sammy Davis Jr. said, "I don't mean to say I was sniffing up half of Peru, in truth I wasn't a heavy hitter".

He was talking about baseball, wasn't he?

VenturaFan23
06-12-2005, 06:10 PM
This clown has screwed my fantasy team for the past two years too. He's about due to go on the DL again any minute now.

He's on my fantasy team right now and looking at his behavior the past few games, I'm seriously thinking about putting him on the bench! Didn't realize what a baby this guy is.

kojak
06-12-2005, 09:03 PM

Are we honestly going to compare teams like Washington, Florida, Atlanta, Mets and Phils to teams like KC, Cleveland, Detroit? It's not even close; aside from the Twins, there isn't a valid comparison to be made.

I'm going to throw out the challenge flag on this. Look at the records of the Tigers, Indians and yes, even the Royals outside of the AL Central. They are beating everybody! The AL Central totally dismantled the NL West over the past week.

If you ask me, the Floridas, Atlantas, Mets, Phils and Nats are just a pack of .500 teams stumbling over each other...

Wsoxmike59
06-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I think it's worth noting that back in the 1970s it was probably true the NL was a superior league to the AL. No less an authority than ex-Phillies Dick Allen attributed his MVP-caliber success in the AL to what he called the "***** pitching" he faced in the AL compared to the hardball of guys like Gibson, Drysdale and Marichal in the NL.

Way back in the 70's when the arrogant cub and NL fans used to come to me with their arguments that their league was superior to the AL, I asked them why is it the American League won 6 of the 10 world series during the 70's???? That's a .600 winning pct.

1970 - Orioles over Reds
1971 - Pirates over Orioles
1972 - A's over Reds
1973- A's over Mets
1974- A's over Dodgers
1975- Reds over Red Sox
1976- Reds over Yankees
1977- Yankees over Dodgers
1978- Yankees over Dodgers
1979- Pirates over Orioles

Yup boy that National League sure showed us during the 70's!!!! :D:

PeteWard
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM

However that definitely changed with the '84 Tigers. They crushed everything in their path and ushered in a whole new mindset across the American League. It has never looked back.

What? The A's and the Yanks of the 70's and Os of the early 80's were not dominant?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 09:44 PM
What? The A's and the Yanks of the 70's and Os of the early 80's were not dominant?

Big. Red. Machine.

The all-star game results were rather lopsided, too.

Who am I to argue with Dick Allen? Pete Rose, too. The AL was the ***** league of baseball.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Juuuuust one little problem with your analysis pudgefisk. The Sox have been kicking EVERYONE'S ass.

Not just the Twins.
Not just the AL Central.
Not even just the American League, but the National League, too.

It's posts like yours that make me truly scared for what sort of thought process is going through the mind of the average fan's head. Is there ANY thought process at all???
:o:

I defy you to slice the Sox' 41-20 record any way you want and draw an opposite conclusion.

Thank you.

Hello, people, the Indians would be over .500 if they hadn't played us so often.

Unbelievable. There has to be some explanation why we're 42-20. It can't be because we're a great team or anything.

South Side
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
We've got some more comments from the genius Nevin...

"If you told me that it would be a tie game late, I'll take our bullpen over any in baseball," Phil Nevin (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85823) said. "It just didn't work out today."

Well then sir... you're an idiot!

BlackHat91
06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Everybody is going to continue to **** on the SOX until they have the World Series rings on their fingers. This team seems to get no respect from other teams, other teams fans, or the national media. And thats the way I like it. Then when we win the WS we can **** on everybody else.

Shorty1983
06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Everybody is going to continue to **** on the SOX until they have the World Series rings on their fingers. This team seems to get no respect from other teams, other teams fans, or the national media. And thats the way I like it. Then when we win the WS we can **** on everybody else.

We are White Sox renegades, you either ride with us or collide with us.

Attn: Administration
Can someone create a smiley face with a army helmet sox logo. :D:

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Black hat:

That's an excellent point, although I wouldn't go so far as to say the Sox have to win the Series to get 'respect.'

Should they make the post season however, they must win at least, a post season series. If they don't, most observers will be saying that it was 'just like 2000,' a fluke. (Which 2000 was...) Winning a series however does supply a dose of credibility since the pressure and stakes increase ten fold when October rolls around.

Lip