PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen like last years?

GiveMeSox
06-11-2005, 05:58 PM
One thing I have been noticing is that our pen this year seems to be in the same boat as last years. We have about 3 go to guys and 3 other guys we just dont trust or use very much. Last year we worked shingo, politte, and marte a lot and it was said this hurt us down the stretch of the second half. So this year we added arms to the pen in Hermy and Viscaino. But now Shingo, Viscaino, and Marte have had their problems and we beg Ozzie to not bring them in in 1 run games. Just like last year. So again we have 3 guys who get the ball in every game and 3 other guys we harldey use. This is quite troubling since we saw what happened last year with this situation. I think Viscaino has been getting a litte back on track and Shingo I just dont know. I think its time to give the ball to Viscaino in other duties then mop up. Id like to see him get the ball in 7th or 8th a little more. Shingo might have to be traded, released, or sent down. He just doesn't seem to be productive enough to take up a roster spot. I hope the sox add another PROVEN arm in the pen like they did with hermy, otherwise we might see what we saw last August .

JB98
06-11-2005, 06:10 PM
One thing I have been noticing is that our pen this year seems to be in the same boat as last years. We have about 3 go to guys and 3 other guys we just dont trust or use very much. Last year we worked shingo, politte, and marte a lot and it was said this hurt us down the stretch of the second half. So this year we added arms to the pen in Hermy and Viscaino. But now Shingo, Viscaino, and Marte have had their problems and we beg Ozzie to not bring them in in 1 run games. Just like last year. So again we have 3 guys who get the ball in every game and 3 other guys we harldey use. This is quite troubling since we saw what happened last year with this situation. I think Viscaino has been getting a litte back on track and Shingo I just dont know. I think its time to give the ball to Viscaino in other duties then mop up. Id like to see him get the ball in 7th or 8th a little more. Shingo might have to be traded, released, or sent down. He just doesn't seem to be productive enough to take up a roster spot. I hope the sox add another PROVEN arm in the pen like they did with hermy, otherwise we might see what we saw last August .

I trust four out of our six relievers in tight games. Marte needs to get healthy first and foremost. I don't know how much his arm trouble has contributed to his woes the last week or so, but I feel like this is just a blip on the radar screen for him.

As I've stated before, I'm giving Viz and Shingo another month. Being in first place, we can afford to be patient. However, if we get to the All-Star break and both are still struggling, I will call for KW to make a move.

Buehrle > Wood
06-11-2005, 06:31 PM
This year's bullpen is still superior to last year's despite the struggles they have run into. Hermanson has been awesome and Politte has been even better than last year. Damaso is in a bit of a funk but can still dominate. Cotts has emerged. Shingo just needs to throw strikes because he can still fool hitters when they aren't sitting on his fastball. Viscaino is an enigma, but I think he will get better. Could we use another arm in the pen...sure, and i think KW will probably go out and get one. But you have to remember that our starting pitching is VASTLY better than last year, so the pen is less likely to wear out down the stretch. We have been in so many close game our relievers haven't had much room for error.

SoxSpeed22
06-11-2005, 06:35 PM
The most important part is we don't have someone gettin' KO'd by the 3rd inning every 5th day. This means less work for the bullpen and more freshness. I still say we should get one more arm, but we shall see.

Chisox003
06-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Uh, I'd change your sig....

Neal Cotts is on fire, not adding any fuel to it....:wink:

Daver
06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
There is a huge difference between last years bullpen and this years, it is called innings pitched.

The starting rotation has consistently stayed in for 6-7 innings minimum, which means the bullpen is used far less, unlike last year when the fifth starter was being pulled in the fourth or fifth. When you get that kind of production from your starters the signifigance of your bullpen becomes less of a concern.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Uh, I'd change your sig....

Neal Cotts is on fire, not adding any fuel to it....:wink:
yea i saw that and was like whats the deal? right now hes probably the strongest and most reliable guy we have in the pen next to politte

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 01:45 AM
One thing I have been noticing is that our pen this year seems to be in the same boat as last years. We have about 3 go to guys and 3 other guys we just dont trust or use very much. Last year we worked shingo, politte, and marte a lot and it was said this hurt us down the stretch of the second half. So this year we added arms to the pen in Hermy and Viscaino. But now Shingo, Viscaino, and Marte have had their problems and we beg Ozzie to not bring them in in 1 run games. Just like last year. So again we have 3 guys who get the ball in every game and 3 other guys we harldey use. This is quite troubling since we saw what happened last year with this situation. I think Viscaino has been getting a litte back on track and Shingo I just dont know. I think its time to give the ball to Viscaino in other duties then mop up. Id like to see him get the ball in 7th or 8th a little more. Shingo might have to be traded, released, or sent down. He just doesn't seem to be productive enough to take up a roster spot. I hope the sox add another PROVEN arm in the pen like they did with hermy, otherwise we might see what we saw last August .OK, how the hell do you have more faith in a guy like Vizcaino who had 1 good year than Shingo who is the All Time Saves Leader in Japan. He has had 2 bad outings and was 8 for 9 in Save opportunities. The only reason he gave up that HR wednesday was because those pitches that were strikes were not called and when you have to throw a pitch right over the heart of the plate at Coors Field bad things are gonna happen. Shingo needs more consistent work and With Hermy needing a day off I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Shingo in the Ninth tommorow. If Shingo gets in trouble than you can bring Hermy in.

fuzzy_patters
06-12-2005, 02:02 AM

KW will probably give these guys another month to work it out, but if they do not start pitching with more consistent results, I look for him to make a move in July. It has already been made known that he has the go ahead to increase payroll this year. :cool:

kevingrt
06-12-2005, 02:08 AM
See the thing is this year for trading purposes, KW can focus more on getting relief help. In past years he has had to look for starting pitching and some extra bats first off. This year our starting pitching is fine so far, knock on wood, and our bats can do the job, meaning there are no glaring needs.

As for the bullpen, he might be abel to go out and get a strong lefty or righty or whatever KW and Ozzie feel the Sox need to succeed at a higher level, if there is one. I trust KW can find the right guys for this team to make this team a amazing team.

I struggle to say a playoff caliber or MLB leading record team or anything cause aren't we to some extent?