PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to hate Chicago...

Rocklive99
06-11-2005, 02:56 PM
*** is wrong with this city?!?!? Don't bother turning on sports radio, all you will hear about is the epic battle between the Flubs and Red Sox, the battle of 2nd place teams, a matchup made in heaven, should I have expected anything else? No, no mention of the White Sox and their thrilling, well balanced victory against division leading San Diego, the only crap that I hear is 'maddux and the hall of fame, curses, nomar, etc'. How can a city, or country for that matter, celebrate losing so much??!?!?! Am in a bizarro or dream world, is not the nature of man to want to win?!?!?!?!

And then CSN makes me puke last night with their special commercial for 'an interleague matchup for the ages' (I forgot their exact wording), Flubs/Yankees.

How can anyone question Sox fans in the city or even wonder about attendance when the local media does nothing but shove Cub down everyone's throat and scream "EAT IT!"????, and after that, the claim comes out that 'Sox fans care more about the Cubs than themselves or than Cub fans care about the Sox', well it's a little hard when I turn on a TV, local news, or open a newspaper and all I see a shrine to losing! And back to attendance, it's elementary that the national media will pick up where the local media finishes off, so they treat us like trash as well, since they see this is the norm in Chicago. I mean, this is a city, where if you go to the airport and pick up a Chicago city guide, turn to page 44/the description of the EL, you will see the description say something to the effect of, "Lucky for Cub fans there is a stop right at Wrigley Field. Although Sox fans should be forced to walk, they can also get to their park" WTFFF???? Yes, that's a great time to take a shot a Sox fans, in the Chicago city guide, I'm very dissappointed that the Mayor would even include a letter in the beginning of this guide. When the big factor of attendance for every team is swooping up the casual fan, how can many casual fans will pick the Sox when every thing you read, see, or hear talks about the Cubs and how they are the hip thing to be.

These players deserve so much better than this, I'm not sure that they really care about the exposure, but who doesn't want credit when it's due, and credit is most certainly due for this team! Besides the records they have already set and carrying potential Cy Youngs and ROTY candidates, they haven't won anything yet, that is except more games than the Cubs and Red Sox! How can I fault Uncle Jerry if he ever brings up moving? At this point, I feel like packing my bags and going with him.

The funny thing is, in about September, everybody will get on the Sox sack, not by choice, but because they have to, secretly hoping that they fold inside. Soon enough, I'll have John Kruk telling me about how he knew all along about the White Sox and their pitching as defense, as Oreo crumbs fall from his mouth. It reminds me of the Cardinals last year, when they were projected as 3rd, maybe 4th (4th!), place finishers if the Reds would get their act together, knowing that it was the Cubs division spot to waltz into while the only hope of competition would be the Astros. Soon enough, the Cards ran away with it, and I had Kurkijan and the rest of the national media telling me about the Cardinals great defense, pitching, and offense who were a lock from the playoffs, a little late jerkoffs!

Anyways, that is all of my little rant for now, I've cooled off a bit, I just almost exploded when getting in the shower and could not find one outlet of Sox talk on the radio, I had to hear the Score talking about Maddux's legacy, and actually say how they would talk Cubs til their game started and then talk horse racing the rest of the way, and how ESPN say they'd limit their baseball talk today since they already talked to Bill Mueller and might talk to Matt Clement, but spend most of the time talking about how Illinois basketball players would do in the NBA (***?!!?!?) [/rant]

:reinsy

Thoughts?

The Wimperoo
06-11-2005, 03:00 PM
:prozac

HebrewHammer
06-11-2005, 03:02 PM
:prozac

Big time and might I add...

:therapy:

white sox bill
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
*** is wrong with this city?!?!? Don't bother turning on sports radio, all you will hear about is the epic battle between the Flubs and Red Sox, the battle of 2nd place teams, a matchup made in heaven, should I have expected anything else? No, no mention of the White Sox and their thrilling, well balanced victory against division leading San Diego, the only crap that I hear is 'maddux and the hall of fame, curses, nomar, etc'. How can a city, or country for that matter, celebrate losing so much??!?!?! Am in a bizarro or dream world, is not the nature of man to want to win?!?!?!?!

And then CSN makes me puke last night with their special commercial for 'an interleague matchup for the ages' (I forgot their exact wording), Flubs/Yankees.

How can anyone question Sox fans in the city or even wonder about attendance when the local media does nothing but shove Cub down everyone's throat and scream "EAT IT!"????, and after that, the claim comes out that 'Sox fans care more about the Cubs than themselves or than Cub fans care about the Sox', well it's a little hard when I turn on a TV, local news, or open a newspaper and all I see a shrine to losing! And back to attendance, it's elementary that the national media will pick up where the local media finishes off, so they treat us like trash as well, since they see this is the norm in Chicago. I mean, this is a city, where if you go to the airport and pick up a Chicago city guide, turn to page 44/the description of the EL, you will see the description say something to the effect of, "Lucky for Cub fans there is a stop right at Wrigley Field. Although Sox fans should be forced to walk, they can also get to their park" WTFFF???? Yes, that's a great time to take a shot a Sox fans, in the Chicago city guide, I'm very dissappointed that the Mayor would even include a letter in the beginning of this guide. When the big factor of attendance for every team is swooping up the casual fan, how can many casual fans will pick the Sox when every thing you read, see, or hear talks about the Cubs and how they are the hip thing to be.

These players deserve so much better than this, I'm not sure that they really care about the exposure, but who doesn't want credit when it's due, and credit is most certainly due for this team! Besides the records they have already set and carrying potential Cy Youngs and ROTY candidates, they haven't won anything yet, that is except more games than the Cubs and Red Sox! How can I fault Uncle Jerry if he ever brings up moving? At this point, I feel like packing my bags and going with him.

The funny thing is, in about September, everybody will get on the Sox sack, not by choice, but because they have to, secretly hoping that they fold inside. Soon enough, I'll have John Kruk telling me about how he knew all along about the White Sox and their pitching as defense, as Oreo crumbs fall from his mouth. It reminds me of the Cardinals last year, when they were projected as 3rd, maybe 4th (4th!), place finishers if the Reds would get their act together, knowing that it was the Cubs division spot to waltz into while the only hope of competition would be the Astros. Soon enough, the Cards ran away with it, and I had Kurkijan and the rest of the national media telling me about the Cardinals great defense, pitching, and offense who were a lock from the playoffs, a little late jerkoffs!

Anyways, that is all of my little rant for now, I've cooled off a bit, I just almost exploded when getting in the shower and could not find one outlet of Sox talk on the radio, I had to hear the Score talking about Maddux's legacy, and actually say how they would talk Cubs til their game started and then talk horse racing the rest of the way, and how ESPN say they'd limit their baseball talk today since they already talked to Bill Mueller and might talk to Matt Clement, but spend most of the time talking about how Illinois basketball players would do in the NBA (***?!!?!?) [/rant]

Thoughts?

Yea I have friends from other cities and they are truly amazed at how the city of Chicago takes to the cubs. They more or less say: "You Illinois people arn't too smart are you" "Typical flatlander, they like losers" and so on

cheeses_h_rice
06-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Thoughts?

Bravo.

Nice rant. Everything you say is true, but seriously, I wouldn't get worked up about it. You had to know this was coming. I certainly knew it was coming...although I did turn on Mike Murphy's show last night after the Sox had won (while I was relieving myself in the bathroom, naturally) hoping against hope to hear him actually discussing the Sox win, only to hear him dissecting plays that had occurred at the Urinal almost 10 hours beforehand. I turned the radio off immediately.

In a few days this will be over, and the Flubs will still be in 2nd or 3rd place or wherever it is they are, and the Sox will still own the best record in all of baseball.

:thumbsup:

NSSoxFan
06-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I decided not to listen to any sports radio yesterday night when I heard 'Media Troll Murph' claim that Greg Maddux is the best pitcher of the last 100 years. What can I say? I just continued driving with a shocked look on my face as I turned my radio off.

itsnotrequired
06-11-2005, 03:35 PM
In a few days this will be over, and the Flubs will still be in 2nd or 3rd place or wherever it is they are, and the Sox will still own the best record in all of baseball.

But they are in 2nd place for the NL Wild Card. Get your playoff tickets now!:rolleyes:

The Critic
06-11-2005, 03:38 PM
The most interesting thing I learned today is that Carlos Zambrano wants to be called El Toro, and while he has not yet marketed any t-shirts or anything, he supposedly has licensed the phrase "El Toro" for himself.
I prefer "Psycho Zambrainless", but El Toro could work.....ha.

Hitmen77
06-11-2005, 03:53 PM
... I mean, this is a city, where if you go to the airport and pick up a Chicago city guide, turn to page 44/the description of the EL, you will see the description say something to the effect of, "Lucky for Cub fans there is a stop right at Wrigley Field. Although Sox fans should be forced to walk, they can also get to their park" WTFFF???? Yes, that's a great time to take a shot a Sox fans, in the Chicago city guide, I'm very dissappointed that the Mayor would even include a letter in the beginning of this guide.

You're kidding! The Chicago city guide for visitors says that?! That's ridiculous!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hitmen77
06-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm starting to hate Chicago....
[/rant]

Thoughts?

I agree. The reason the Sox have such a hard time drawing crowds is that most Chicagoans are idiot Cub fans who absolutely refuse to support a winning baseball team no matter what. SOX FANS support their team just fine - it's just that we are outnumbered in Chicago by a bunch of morons!

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
the only thing thats going to change this cubs media machine is a world series victory, and maybe a couple would send them over a cliff! (no pink necessary)

pcp1960
06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I knew the coverage of this weekend series with the red sox was going to be bad, but when I saw the HUGE headline in the cubune sports section today, I just sat there.

I thought the Cubs had won the Pennant or something. I also heard murph say that Maddux was the best pitcher in a 100 years in baseball. I again just sat there.

This city is a joke when it comes to the cubs. I try not to let it get to me, but when you see the media here, I just can't help it.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Well at least in 2 days this will be over and we won't have to worry about it again until about 3 years from now when "The Chicago Cubs come to historic Fenway Park for the first time since the 1918 World Series! Don't miss this exciting matchup!!"

MrRoboto83
06-11-2005, 05:20 PM
What would this city do if the White Sox met the Flubs in the world series, the media would have a field day with the Flubs.

DumpJerry
06-11-2005, 05:26 PM
What would this city do if the White Sox met the Flubs in the world series, the media would have a field day with the Flubs.
I've thought about that, too. The media will fall over themselves to be "fair" and run stories about the Sox, but when the Series heads into Game 4 with the Sox up 3 games to none, the feeding frenzy against the Flubs will start as opposed to the frenzy about how great the Sox are doing.........

fram40
06-11-2005, 05:46 PM

The flubs will never make it to the series. Everyone enjoys their epic collapses way to much. Well, I enjoy them way to much.

billnahorodny
06-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Bravo.

Absolutely right! I frankly don't care about winning the moron popularity contest. Let them fall all over each other with this historic weekend. They can daydream wistfully about it while they're playing golf in October.

SomebodyToldMe
06-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Thoughts?

You should cell, I mean sell.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 06:43 PM
i think it would look something like this..."the sox sweep the cubs, but in other news, the cubs resign zambrano!"

Unregistered
06-11-2005, 07:00 PM
I've thought about that, too. The media will fall over themselves to be "fair" and run stories about the Sox, but when the Series heads into Game 4 with the Sox up 3 games to none, the feeding frenzy against the Flubs will start as opposed to the frenzy about how great the Sox are doing.........
Yeah, this seems fairly obvious. If the Sox ever played and beat the Cubs in the World Series, all you'd hear from the Chicago media is how dissapointing it is for Cubs fans, and how close they were to "breaking the curse."

I imagine it would be like if the Cubs lost to any other team in the World Series - they would treat the Sox like they were from another part of the country and focus on how the Cubs "just missed history."

:rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I propose a term to describe this aura: Mediot Cubgasm

Buehrle > Wood
06-11-2005, 07:05 PM
The most interesting thing I learned today is that Carlos Zambrano wants to be called El Toro, and while he has not yet marketed any t-shirts or anything, he supposedly has licensed the phrase "El Toro" for himself.

:rolling:

shoota
06-12-2005, 06:15 AM

If I were a Sox player, or Carlos Lee, I'd make a shirt that says, "El Matador."

C-Dawg
06-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Anyone see Saturday's Tribune where they compared some of the little things that the Cubs and red Sox have in common, such as: Curse of the Goat/Curse of the Bambino, Departed Icons Sosa/Nomar, Team Non-conformists Zambrano/Johnny Damon, etc, etc, all in good fun. But when it came to self-effacing nicknames Boston had "Idiots" and the Cubs had NONE!! HEY WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE "LOVABLE LOSERS"? Is the Tribune trying to make us forget about that one?

By the way MSNBC had a story about this historic matchup too. I nearly lost my breakfast when I saw it.

The Racehorse
06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
the only thing thats going to change this cubs media machine is a world series victory, and maybe a couple would send them over a cliff! (no pink necessary)

While I don't live in Chicago & therefore don't have a finger on the pulse of the local media, I would venture to guess that it would take multiple SOX WS victories combined with continued Flubbie ineptitude to reverse what the Tribune has accomplished for 20 years.

skobabe8
06-12-2005, 12:30 PM
That was a great rant!

Does the city guide really say that?

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 02:11 PM
It's very hard to reverse a trend that started back in the early 80's, thanks to SportsVision, overnight.

It takes time, winning, a willingness by the organization to actually take on the Cubs for the hearts and minds of Chicagoans, winning and still more winning (of something of substance, not 83 wins a season)

Lip

chitownhawkfan
06-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Not only did they blow up a front page sports picture, they are now doing a series of "Believe" posters in the Sunday paper for the next week with you guessed it, the Cubs players. Let these sheep continue to flock to Wrigley I enjoy being a fan of the red headed step children of baseball.

:andy
Lets all agree that we need Andy back

ShoelessJoeS
06-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I enjoy being a fan of the red headed step children of baseball.
:rolling: lol, arent we all! :bandance:

soxGirl14
06-12-2005, 03:03 PM

The Flubs would never make it... remember, they're cursed.

SAVVY18
06-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Well at least in 2 days this will be over and we won't have to worry about it again until about 3 years from now when "The Chicago Cubs come to historic Fenway Park for the first time since the 1918 World Series! Don't miss this exciting matchup!!"

Sorry to say you are wrong on this. It is already starting AGAIN because the cubs will be playing the Yankee's next weekend. It is gonna be bad enough already becuase they won the series this weekend, but what if they sweep...:o:

We will be smothered with more talk about "historic matchups" and crap like that, oh yeah...the White Sox won again...

miker
06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Simplify your life - listen to or watch the Sox and talk about it on with real fans on WSI. Sure, there are some bad apples (trolls, professional sports media, etc.) but by ignoring the spinsters in the media, you will not only feel much better, but be much smarter for not having listened to them.

Hangar18
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry to say you are wrong on this. It is already starting AGAIN because the cubs will be playing the Yankee's next weekend. It is gonna be bad enough already becuase they won the series this weekend, but what if they sweep...:o:

We will be smothered with more talk about "historic matchups" and crap like that, oh yeah...the White Sox won again...

I am Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I wasnt anywhere near
Chicago for the media nonsense. On a side note, most bars in SanDiego
had the cubs on tv, but they said it was mostly force of habit, and theres NOTHING ELSE ON. Everyone doesnt like the cubs like the media says
also, several ushers and vendors in the area reported that .....upon seeing
what SOX fans are like, and the fact that we can discuss baseball and
are much nicer and knowledgable than they expected (perceptions are everything) now appreciate us more now.
Said cub fans "infested" the park, are loud, but in a boorish way chanting the same chants (cubbies wooo) dont tip well, knocking things over, taunting padre fans etc.
Whew ......... glad to hear that wasnt us