PDA

View Full Version : A fair article of the WS from San Diego

FanofBill
06-11-2005, 10:09 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20050610-9999-1s10guillen.html

Those waiting for the White Sox's good luck to run out this season – and for the perennial champion Minnesota Twins to overtake them in the AL Central – are still waiting. Jumping off to baseball's best start in the first couple of months, the White Sox continue to maintain nicely on the strength of their pitching, top to bottom.

DarkCloudDropo
06-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Fan. That was a very good read.

downstairs
06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
We keep getting lots of good (read: fair) press from the Mississippi River on west...

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm...

hose
06-11-2005, 10:58 AM
We keep getting lots of good (read: fair) press from the Mississippi River on west...

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm...

The Sox will be getting more and more coverage as they continue to impress.

I get my Sox coverage where I can but I gave up on certain outlets like BBT.

Thursday night I watched the "extended" hour and a half Baseball Tonight which started at 9:00. By 10:15 there was still no mention of the Sox so I turned it off. It was one of the few times I tuned into BBT because normally I can't take Kruk, Phillips, Gammons, and even the shows host, can't think of his name, but he is a arrogant sob.

Here is a good example of the east coast media : I caught about 5 minutes of Dan Patrick on ESPN radio in the car the other day. He said the night before he was at home watching tv and was flipping channels between the Yankee, Mets, and Red Sox games.....par for the course.

I believe the local papers are writing enough Sox articles for my take.

The Trib's article on Neal Cotts yesterday was a good one.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050609sox,1,7262137.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

zach074
06-11-2005, 11:04 AM
"If you come to watch a baseball game, the team to watch right now is the White Sox because we're in first place," Guillen told the Chicago media. "If you want to visit another museum, go to Wrigley Field."I love tha quote by Ozzie.

chuckn98229
06-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Great article. Thanks. Too bad Chicago is dominated by the cubune (aka Tass/Pravda) - which has the remaining know-nothing nitwit mediots in lock-step compliance with their twisted (i.e. cubbie-blue tinted) view of reality.

FielderJones
06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Too bad Chicago is dominated by the cubune (aka Tass/Pravda) - which has the remaining know-nothing nitwit mediots in lock-step compliance with their twisted (i.e. cubbie-blue tinted) view of reality.

Yeah, nice front page of the Saturday Cubune front section and sports section, totally dominated by cubbie coverage. Small article on Garland's league-leading 10th win and the Sox's league-leading 41st win, in the lower left below the fold. :angry:

But Sox fans are obsessed with the media bias for the flubs.

jdm2662
06-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, nice front page of the Saturday Cubune front section and sports section, totally dominated by cubbie coverage. Small article on Garland's league-leading 10th win and the Sox's league-leading 41st win, in the lower left below the fold. :angry:

But Sox fans are obsessed with the media bias for the flubs.

With the White Sox on the west coast, and the Cubs playing in this historic series, the White Sox are not going to get too much coverage in the papers this weekend. We just have to ignore it or deal with it. I will go with option #1 as I've been ignoring the press all year.
________
Angelina jolie pics (http://www.angelinajoliepics.com/)

flo-B-flo
06-11-2005, 01:02 PM
The Sox will be getting more and more coverage as they continue to impress.

I get my Sox coverage where I can but I gave up on certain outlets like BBT.

Thursday night I watched the "extended" hour and a half Baseball Tonight which started at 9:00. By 10:15 there was still no mention of the Sox so I turned it off. It was one of the few times I tuned into BBT because normally I can't take Kruk, Phillips, Gammons, and even the shows host, can't think of his name, but he is a arrogant sob.

Here is a good example of the east coast media : I caught about 5 minutes of Dan Patrick on ESPN radio in the car the other day. He said the night before he was at home watching tv and was flipping channels between the Yankee, Mets, and Red Sox games.....par for the course. Every night I put bbtn on the other tv and wait for the Sox replays. You gotta wait a long time until they get around to the Sox. That's okay, it will get to the point when they will have to give the props. And - wait a minute - who gives a **** what krukgammons thinks.:wink:

hose
06-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Every night I put bbtn on the other tv and wait for the Sox replays. You gotta wait a long time until they get around to the Sox. That's okay, it will get to the point when they will have to give the props. And - wait a minute - who gives a **** what krukgammons thinks.:wink:

If you happened to watch BBT last night can you tell me if Uribe, Rowand , or Crede if got mentioned of web gems.

Those guys made 3 spectacular plays last night.

Uribe's was flat out awesome and Rowand's was a game saver.

samram
06-11-2005, 01:26 PM
If you happened to watch BBT last night can you tell me if Uribe, Rowand , or Crede if got mentioned of web gems.

Those guys made 3 spectacular plays last night.

Uribe's was flat out awesome and Rowand's was a game saver.

Rowand's play made it. I haven't even seen the other two, let alone have them nominated as web gems.

elrod
06-11-2005, 02:38 PM
In all fairness, BBTN hasn't covered the Sox much lately because the opponents have been so mediocre. Colorado and Cleveland just don't deserve a whole lot of attention. When we played the Angels we got a bit more press (most of it negative, of course, criticizing Ozzie's pitching decisions). The San Diego series should get more press too but then there's the problem of late-night time zone stuff. The Cubs-Red Sox is a big story, admittedly, though not as much of a "baseball" story as a whiney fan story for losers' consumption. Usually when a good team plays a crappy team, BBTN doesn't give it much attention. The most puzzling thing is the constant coverage of the Yankees. I suppose it's newsworthy that a $205 million payroll team is so bad, and everybody loves thinking about Steinbrenner going crazy. But at some point their struggles aren't all that interesting. The real stories that BBTN should be covering every night are:

The NL East, incredibly tight and with the surprising Washington Nationals Philadelphia Phillies soaring to the top, there's some serious drama out of that division every night.

The AL Central, not only because the White Sox and Twins are two of the three best teams in baseball, but because the pitching up and down the division is so strong. Also, it's newsworthy how much better the division is than prior years. BBTN ignores the Twins as much as it does the White Sox. The Twin BBTN ever discusses is Torii Hunter.

The battle between Rangers and Angels out west. They will fight it out all year.

The Orioles: how long will they last? Forget who's chasing them, as long as they keep winning.

The NL West battle between San Diego, Arizona and Los Angeles. Again, they will be at it all season.

I don't think BBTN has to highlight the White Sox or the Cardinals every night just because they're great. But they shouldn't treat either team like they're the Devil Rays either.

skobabe8
06-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I was listening to BBTN and Steve Phillips was breaking down the Yankees/Cards game and he was talking about all the baserunning mistakes the Yanks have been making.

He went on to say the following:
"You expect things like this out of veterans, but even the rookies are doing it."

:?:

FarWestChicago
06-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I was listening to BBTN and Steve Phillips was breaking down the Yankees/Cards game and he was talking about all the baserunning mistakes the Yanks have been making.

He went on to say the following:
"You expect things like this out of veterans, but even the rookies are doing it."

:?::hijacked: :?:

skobabe8
06-12-2005, 01:25 PM
:hijacked: :?:

My bad! I got caught up in the moment. :redface:

FarWestChicago
06-12-2005, 01:28 PM
My bad! I got caught up in the moment. :redface:Well, it was funny at least. :D:

skobabe8
06-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, it was funny at least. :D:

Believe me, I thought so too. :tongue:

Southsider101
06-12-2005, 06:01 PM
That San Diego reporter should win a Pulitzer for his writing. Ozzie's quip about Wrigley being a museum is a classic. Can't wait to take another series against the northside vermin this month.

brewcrew/chisox
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
"If you come to watch a baseball game, the team to watch right now is the White Sox because we're in first place," Guillen told the Chicago media. "If you want to visit another museum, go to Wrigley Field."

"Well there is a thing I would say to the mayor," Guillen replied, trying to keep things light. "I would say I've been in this country for 25 years and I don't have American citizenship. He should help me do that. I'll criticize him because they don't give me American citizenship."

:kneeslap: :neener: :rolling:

Great stuff Ozzie

batmanZoSo
06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Out went sluggers Ordoñez and Carlos Lee and in came fast-twitch players Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi, who were installed at the top of the lineup. The temptation to call the new White Sox a small-ball team, however, is discouraged by the fact Chicago remains quite capable of hitting more homers than a vast majority of major league clubs.

Thank you. This guy gets it, unlike the ESPN alarmists who predicted doom and gloom for us after losing Ordonez, Lee and Valentin. As if their replacements would hit no home runs and a balanced attack is worth nothing.

thezeker
06-12-2005, 11:00 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20050610-9999-1s10guillen.html

Those waiting for the White Sox's good luck to run out this season – and for the perennial champion Minnesota Twins to overtake them in the AL Central – are still waiting. Jumping off to baseball's best start in the first couple of months, the White Sox continue to maintain nicely on the strength of their pitching, top to bottom.

This was a great article about Ozzie. Just like the N.Y. Times gave the Sox great press early in the season this San Diego paper gives us a great look at Ozzie and what he is all about.

I guess it's too much to hope the Chicago papers could treat him with the same amount of respect!!!!!

miker
06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
This is a good article because it wasn't written by someone holed up in an office in Manhattan or Bristol or the Tribune Tower!

MasQbellesa
06-13-2005, 07:03 PM
This is a good article because it wasn't written by someone holed up in an office in Manhattan or Bristol or the Tribune Tower!.

ouch...but agree!!

Love the article. Love that Ozzie!!