PDA

View Full Version : The Pathetic Cubs and their Pathetic Curse

Dan H
06-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Knowing the Cubs had pounded the Red Sox, I dreaded going out to get my paper this morning. My worst fears were confirmed when I saw the first line of Mike Downey's page 1 story mentioned the curse. The only thing I used my Tribune for today was the crossword. I didn't bother looking at the sports section.

Beating the Red Sox in a three game series won't lift any imagined curse and take the Cubs to the promised land. You don't win by dwelling on history; you turn things around by learning from history. The Cubs will never learn this. The hype makes it worse for them.

I'm hoping the White Sox are turning a deaf ear to this nonsense. The 2005 team have nothing to do with any past Sox team. Right now they have the best record in the majors and it has had nothing to do with worrying about past failures. Young players are developing and the team is executing. Let's hope they continue to concentrate on that. Leave the superstitious nonsense to the Cubs and their space cadet fans.

elrod
06-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh I'm sure the Tribune and ESPN will dedicate just as much time to the Sox-Dodgers series as they do the Cubs-Red Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2005, 10:26 AM
The only thing I used my Tribune for today was the crossword. I didn't bother looking at the sports section.

You're a smart man, Dan. It was wall-to-wall coverage throughout the Cubune this morning, including non-Sports sections. The People section even had a Terry Armour blurb about obnoxious Bosox players showing off their world championship rings at a restaurant.

Gee Terry, don't the Red Sox eat at those Chicago restaurants every summer, including again next month? Or do those games not count in your book? Yeah, but the Cubune isn't biased they doth protest!
:kukoo:

If either of these teams were in playoff position, I can't imagine the Cubune doing anything more than they actually did to cover this insipid series between two otherwise forgettable teams.

:kukoo:

downstairs
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Come on guys, this is a historic, exciting series between two.... ummmm... oh, yeah... second place teams, neither of which hold the wild card spot.

NonetheLoaiza
06-11-2005, 11:18 AM
To make it worse, this morning on SportsCenter, they kept saying Sox v. Cubs, and Gammons was in Chicago, of course covering the "Sox v. Cubs". A bunch of bologna if you ask me...

PAPChiSox729
06-11-2005, 11:28 AM
To make it worse, this morning on SportsCenter, they kept saying Sox v. Cubs, and Gammons was in Chicago, of course covering the "Sox v. Cubs". A bunch of bologna if you ask me...

Yeah, I was getting fed up with all of this extra coverage but then I realized something. Since the White Sox have the best record in baseball, why should I get so worked up about the Cubs? Screw them.

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Come on guys, this is a historic, exciting series between two.... ummmm... oh, yeah... second place teams, neither of which hold the wild card spot.

I like your thinking here. For year's I've been saying that when a team is advertised as the "World Champion Boston Red Sox" or whatever World Champion, it's a misstatement. The 2004 Red Sox were the World Champions. The 2005 Red Sox have won nothing.

And for the record, I'll say the same thing about the White Sox in 2006 if we win it all this year.

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I heard the same thing on one of the local TV stations, whichever one has the female sports anchor. (Do you get the idea that I don't watch local news very much?)

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I was getting fed up with all of this extra coverage but then I realized something. Since the White Sox have the best record in baseball, why should I get so worked up about the Cubs? Screw them.

Bingo. Just remember these immortal words:

:KW

"We...don't...care!"

NonetheLoaiza
06-11-2005, 01:14 PM
The only reason that I care about the coverage from the media is because when I wake up in the morning and want to see highlights of the game I missed because I was working, they are not there. I have to first sit through about 20 minutes of unnecessary Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees coverage talking about the most absurd things like how Johnny Damon misplaced his jock, so he was late coming out in the first inning. That time could easily be spent giving coverage to the other teams, and actually playing meaningful, game-changing highlights. Now, I know the Devil Rays don't have a HUGE following, but I wouldn't mind seeing their highlights. But then again, why seek out my own opinion, when ESPN can feed it to me?

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh I'm sure the Tribune and ESPN will dedicate just as much time to the Sox-Dodgers series as they do the Cubs-Red Sox.

Agreed.But hey,"the greatest baeball team on earth" is playing
at Yankmee Stadium next weekend.:roflmao: :roflmao:

PS- a big thanks to Dump Jerry for "the greatest baseball team on earth".
I now refer to them as such.:D: :D:

JB98
06-11-2005, 01:31 PM
This is one of those weekends where you avoid all newspapers and don't turn on the TV except to watch the Sox-Padres.

Although, Mike Nadel had a good column in the newspaper I work for this morning. He pretty much said the hype is out of control.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/nadel/a11nadel.htm

The Racehorse
06-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Even in Ruth's day, it was the Red Sox. It's always been that way.

The Babe is probably laughing his ass off from the baseball Heavens since he won both his 1918 WS starts from the mound, and had two RBI at the plate [1 in 5 AB's].

PAPChiSox729
06-11-2005, 01:52 PM
This is one of those weekends where you avoid all newspapers and don't turn on the TV except to watch the Sox-Padres.

Although, Mike Nadel had a good column in the newspaper I work for this morning. He pretty much said the hype is out of control.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/nadel/a11nadel.htm

Very good article. I really do find it sad that many in the media are still not letting the 'Curse of the Bambino' die. I mean the Red Sox won the World Series, so why do they have to keep bringing up the fact that it took them so long to do so. Sure this series is between two of the most historic franchises, like it or not. But they both are in 2nd place and neither are very good to begin with. Yes this series is way overhyped, but lets worry about ourselves for now.

The Racehorse
06-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Kudos to Nadel for being the medias voice of reason. :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I think it's worth noting that back in 1918 the Flubs were already playing in the Urinal but they did not play their World Series home games against the Red Sox there. They played them at Comiskey Park! Even back then the Urinal was recognized as an absolute pisshole and inferior to the home of the Sox.
:roflmao:

Here's guessing 100,000+ nimrods attending this weekend's games are sitting in their seats (drunk on their ass, of course) and squinting their eyes imagining what it must have been like to be sitting in the same spot 87 years ago. They're such idiots most of them would probably be relieved to know how WRONG they truly are... because the overhyped/overpriced tickets they bought are honoring historic games played in a bad neighborhood.

:nuts:

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2005, 02:44 PM
I think it's worth noting that back in 1918 the Flubs were already playing in the Urinal but they did not play their World Series home games against the Red Sox there. They played them at Comiskey Park! Even back then the Urinal was recognized as an absolute pisshole and inferior to the home of the Sox.
:roflmao:

Here's guessing 100,000+ nimrods attending this weekend's games are sitting in their seats (drunk on their ass, of course) and squinting their eyes imagining what it must have been like to be sitting in the same spot 87 years ago. They're such idiots most of them would probably be relieved to know how WRONG they truly are... because the overhyped/overpriced tickets they bought are honoring historic games played in a bad neighborhood.

:nuts:

LMAO, you are so right. And did you see that absolutely pathetic picture in today's Sun-Times with the father and son wearing half-Cub, half-Red Sox jerseys? That's a walking advertisement for lame, stupid, and bandwagon-jumping if I ever saw. Cub fans, stop making asses of yourselves because unfortunately you embarrass all of Chicago with your asinine displays.

Chisox353014
06-11-2005, 03:03 PM
If there was any lingering doubt as to whether Dusty Baker has nothing but rocks in his head, this should take care of it:

"Some series are over-hyped," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "But there are a lot of different myths and superstitions and stuff on both sides, so I think this one should be hyped."

Great logic, Dusty!
"umm...like...there's like a lot of history n' stuff..so it's like..really cool..huh huh"

All I can say is thank the maker that the White Sox are flying below the radar. Those two pathetic franchises can have each other.

cheeses_h_rice
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
No big surprise, but Fox Sports really outdid themselves for pathetic displays of idiocy in their pregame graphics/mini-movie for today's game. I think they said the word "curse" about 378 times. They even had a guy dressed up in voodoo/island gear chasing a goat around.

****ing sad.

I'm glad to be a White Sox fan.

Hendu
06-11-2005, 03:30 PM

The most embarassing thing about this series is all the Chicago TV personalities doing obnoxious, fake New England accents. Last night someone on Comcast Sportsnite said in his report from the Urinal "I talked to a Red Sox fan after the game and they told me, 'They hit the ball wicked haaad and they hit it out of the paaaak."

Bush league.

:chunks

Dan H
06-12-2005, 07:12 AM
After reading all these posts, I see that it was worse than I thought.

C-Dawg
06-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Remember a few years when the Cubs played Cleveland and Fox (at least I think it was Fox) tried to tout that series as a great "rivalry". The radio commercials went something like "I'm a lifelong Cubs fan, but Dad is a lifelong Cleveland fan; this weekend we're barely speaking to each other as our past differences will be played out of the field as this historic rivalry is finally settled once and for all". I suppose interleague play lets the media create a rivalry wherever they want one just to build ratings. Its too bad we'll never see that historic Expos-Mariners rivalry played out now.