PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Dark Clouds?

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Has anybody else noticed the Dark Clouds have been missing the last few days? They aren't even in the game threads, much less the postgame threads. It's just kind of funny because they have always asserted they aren't just depressive psychos, that they will always be there to cheer the Sox on when they are doing well, but must criticize the team when doing poorly since they are "real Sox fans" unlike the rest of us. Well, where the hell are they when the Sox are on a roll? I would contend that their absence proves they are just chronic depressive, psychos who use this site to publicly display their affliction. They lie like rugs when they maintain they are not depressive psychos and are just "real fans". "Real fans" partake in the good times, not just the bad. I have this to say to the Dark Clouds. **** you. Don't come back when the Sox lose a game you ****ing psychotic warpos. :D:

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2005, 03:15 AM
West, it's always been my theory that the depressoids think that the only way to show that you're a "knowledgeable" baseball fan is to be able to point out where things went wrong.

I came to the realization, years ago, that, while I know a little about a lot of stuff, I don't know a heck of a lot about anything. I have to confess that I'm terrified that this year will lead to another disappointment, but I can't point at anything about this team that makes me scared. They are truly balanced to be able to win games in different ways on different days, and have strong pitching and defense (yes, PHG, I still think those are two different things. What did you say that makes me? A chowderhead, or something like that?) The biggest thing I've learned in 50 some years of being a baseball fan is that you can't get too high on days when your team wins, nor too low on days when they lose.

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 03:22 AM
The biggest thing I've learned in 50 some years of being a baseball fan is that you can't get too high on days when your team wins, nor too low on days when they lose.But that's the beauty of this team. Unless you are a complete nutjob like Hangar, they never let you get too low. Hell, even Lip is showing signs of having a good time. They may crash and burn and leave us all devastated. But I know this, the team doesn't intend to do that. They think they can win the whole damn thing. And that's not the worst place to start from.

kittle545feet
06-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Has anybody else noticed the Dark Clouds have been missing the last few days? They aren't even in the game threads, much less the postgame threads. It's just kind of funny because they have always asserted they aren't just depressive psychos, that they will always be there to cheer the Sox on when they are doing well, but must criticize the team when doing poorly since they are "real Sox fans" unlike the rest of us. Well, where the hell are they when the Sox are on a roll? I would contend that their absence proves they are just chronic depressive, psychos who use this site to publicly display their affliction. They lie like rugs when they maintain they are not depressive psychos and are just "real fans". "Real fans" partake in the good times, not just the bad. I have this to say to the Dark Clouds. **** you. Don't come back when the Sox lose a game you ****ing psychotic warpos. :D: I think you should tell us how you really feel.:D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-11-2005, 03:40 AM
I noticed a certain dark cloud hasn't posted since last month. I wonder why...:smile:

kojak
06-11-2005, 03:42 AM
The Dark Clods are like ESPN...you just tune them out. If you hold your breath waiting for them to get a clue you will be blue in the face.

It is to the point that I don't come anywhere near this place if the Sox lose 2 or 3 in a row. It just isn't worth getting my Irish up. I have been able to feel the destiny in this team for some time now and I ain't about to let anybody rain on my parade.

My best friend lives in Charlotte and is a lifelong Sox fanatic. He took the Illinois loss to UNC extremely hard; to the point that he has not even shown any enthusiasm about the Sox season. Now I wouldn't call him a dark clod, but I did finally have to call him on it. I told him not to let his bitter disappointment cause him to miss out on the best Sox season in our lifetime!

There are no guarantees. Ask the 2001 Mariners. The wheels could come flying off this thing in October. But so flippin' what! I am still gonna enjoy the hell out of this ride, however long it lasts!

*steps off soapbox- hands bullhorn to Forrest Gump*

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 03:44 AM
It is to the point that I don't come anywhere near this place if the Sox lose 2 or 3 in a row.Unfortunately, those of us who run this place don't have that luxury. :?:

kojak
06-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Unfortunately, those of us who run this place don't have that luxury. :?:

...and that is why we send you the check every month... :cool:

DrCrawdad
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Dark clouds are forming often in the minds of many Chicago baseball "experts" and many of the radio blabfest hosts. After the Sox won 2 of 3 from the Angels a certain evening blab host made many a comment about the Sox struggling and a certain other team headed straight for the playoffs.

When Podzilla gets on base, I'm fixed on the game to see when he'll steal. The pitching and defense have been great too. I love this Sox team. Heck, I just plain love the Sox. I am optimistic, but trying not to get too giddy or cocky though.

GO-GO WHITE SOX!

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
haha I'm with you FWC. I don't think I WANT to see Homefish holding the black and white pom-pons.

And Jeremyb1? I just flat out don't like him.

harwar
06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
you can't get too high on days when your team wins, nor too low on days when they lose.

That reminds me of ol Dave Wills.
I remember him saying that after just about every loss when the phone lines were lit up with angry people.
Brian seems like a nice enough guy but i sure wish Dave could have been here for this run.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2005, 08:31 AM
....They are truly balanced to be able to win games in different ways on different days, and have strong pitching and defense (yes, PHG, I still think those are two different things. What did you say that makes me? A chowderhead, or something like that?)...

I never said "defense" as defined solely as glovework & throwing wasn't important. I'll gladly take a slick fielding team over another that isn't so slick.
:thumbsup:

I merely noted these same 6-7 position ballplayers (everyone in the field besides the pitcher, catcher and maybe the shortstop, too) make far more important contributions towards winning the game for the half-innings they're at the plate than the other half-innings they're standing around with a glove in their one hand while the other hand scratches their ass.

Defense is important. But in baseball, it's the pitcher that constitutes nearly all the defense because he is the one handling a live ball 90 percent of the time. Thus...

Defense wins championships.
Pitching wins championships.
Pitching and the little things wins championships.
Pitching and offense wins championships.

But pitching and defense wins second-place. See "Sox, White, 1921-present."
:cool:

my5thbench
06-11-2005, 08:55 AM
that was a beautiful rant & so apropo (did I spell that right?)

daveeym
06-11-2005, 09:24 AM
But that's the beauty of this team. Unless you are a complete nutjob like Hangar, they never let you get too low. Hell, even Lip is showing signs of having a good time. They may crash and burn and leave us all devastated. But I know this, the team doesn't intend to do that. They think they can win the whole damn thing. And that's not the worst place to start from. Well Hangar's in san diego, maybe he took all the depressoids with him.

hose
06-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Has anybody else noticed the Dark Clouds have been missing the last few days? They aren't even in the game threads, much less the postgame threads. It's just kind of funny because they have always asserted they aren't just depressive psychos, that they will always be there to cheer the Sox on when they are doing well, but must criticize the team when doing poorly since they are "real Sox fans" unlike the rest of us. Well, where the hell are they when the Sox are on a roll? I would contend that their absence proves they are just chronic depressive, psychos who use this site to publicly display their affliction. They lie like rugs when they maintain they are not depressive psychos and are just "real fans". "Real fans" partake in the good times, not just the bad. I have this to say to the Dark Clouds. **** you. Don't come back when the Sox lose a game you ****ing psychotic warpos. :D:

West it could be the late starts in Colorado and SD, a depressed pyscho with less sleep is down right dangerous:D:

aw jeez the Sox are tanking they only won 7 out of their last 8, when they were going good they would have won 8 straight:o:

elrod
06-11-2005, 09:50 AM
What I think is funny is that a "bad stretch" means playing .500 ball over 20 games. Unless the Twins play .750 ball over that same period, you're not going to slip too much in the standings. There's a reason after all those tough games against division leaders like Texas, LAA and Baltimore (and now San Diego) that we're still 5.5 up.

zach23
06-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Amen.
There are a lot of them that seem to enjoy it more when the Sox lose so they have something to yell about (and they all tend to yell as loud and often as possible). If the Sox are sucking they all can say, "I told you stupid optimists that this team had no chance because <insert the huge list of insane ramblings>".
I guess in a sick and demented way, feeling upset makes them feel good.:dunno:

I feel a little sorry for them sometimes because the Sox are now treating us to some of the best baseball I have seen this team play in the 30+ years I have been watching and they are missing out on the fun. You gotta enjoy the good times when you have them.
I get the feeling that a lot of them are sitting there sulking and hoping for a collapse so they can come back and rant.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2005, 10:13 AM
There is no point in being a "fan" unless you're around to enjoy the ride. Granted, 87 years of nothing is an awful lot of nothing to tolerate. Sox Fans need a thick skin to match a rhino's. We don't accept losing as being cute or a virtue.

In fact having the Flubs around serves as the perfect "idiot filter" to keep all the stupid fans away from Sox Fandom. This is the advantage we have over otherwise intelligent fan bases in cities like Boston. For every intelligent Sox fan in Boston, there is another crying on and on about curses. Thanks to the idiot filter here in Chicago, all our idiots wind up drunk and stupid at the Urinal. The rest of us are Sox Fans. That's a good thing.

I think there is a (relatively) small number of depressoids who view WSI as their place to release all the bile that boils up whenever the team loses. Maybe they enjoy the Sox winning, but they don't share it with us here. These "fans" rightly get ripped for lacking any sense of perspective on the subject.

:therapy:

WSI is not here to serve as psychologist for the rantings of these "fans." Thus we do what we can to limit their impact. The game threads, the post-game threads, and What's the Score all serve this purpose. And of course we always have our nuclear option available too, WSI's Roadhouse.
:wink:

However as West already notes, the fact certain somebodies are conspiciously absent during the good times speaks volumes about their credibility to whine and piss around here during the bad times.

They'll be held to account, so no worries.

rwcescato
06-11-2005, 10:48 AM
West, it's always been my theory that the depressoids think that the only way to show that you're a "knowledgeable" baseball fan is to be able to point out where things went wrong.

I came to the realization, years ago, that, while I know a little about a lot of stuff, I don't know a heck of a lot about anything. I have to confess that I'm terrified that this year will lead to another disappointment, but I can't point at anything about this team that makes me scared. They are truly balanced to be able to win games in different ways on different days, and have strong pitching and defense (yes, PHG, I still think those are two different things. What did you say that makes me? A chowderhead, or something like that?) The biggest thing I've learned in 50 some years of being a baseball fan is that you can't get too high on days when your team wins, nor too low on days when they lose.

This team just has a total different feel than any others in the past. I used to fear going against the best pitchers or pitchers that we never faced before. This year it doesn't matter what kind of pitcher we face. I feel like the team will come through and score runs. Maybe its because we manufacture runs better than the last 5 or 6 years. Maybe its the speed. Maybe its because we now have clutch hitters in this line-up. Whatever it is it works and thats the reason we have the best record in baseball.

Rich:bandance:

voodoochile
06-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Just anted to add a WOOHOO! I love winning baseball. It beats the crap out of that other stuff we have been doing the past few years.

It is simply wonderful to have a team not strictly relying on Frank or PK or MaggliOWMYKNEE to hit a 3-run bomb to get the win. Finally a pitching staff the fans can count on to keep the Sox in every game.

In addition, I never did get the "we suck" mentality. Even in seasons when the team has clearly sucked and had no chance since day one (and there haven't been many of them recently) I still root with all my heart. I am not a baseball expert. I am a Sox fan and I wouldn't have it any other way.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
haha I'm with you FWC. I don't think I WANT to see Homefish holding the black and white pom-pons.

And Jeremyb1? I just flat out don't like him.

I'd have to agree. He whined so much about how the Sox were eventually going to fold that I don't even want him to come back here anymore. People who do nothing but whine are not pleasant to be around. I'm glad HomeFish isn't giving us anymore problems.

As for jeremyb1, I've made no secret of my low opinion of him. That kid just doesn't understand that his idols (Billy Beane, Jeremy Reed, Mguel Olivo, etc.) aren't everything he thinks they are. I said that to him a few weeks ago, and he threw a huge fit. Even after Olivo was shipped to the minors by Seattle, he still wouldn't admit that the Sox got the better end of the Freddy Garcia trade. Sad.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Just anted to add a WOOHOO! I love winning baseball. It beats the crap out of that other stuff we have been doing the past few years.

It is simply wonderful to have a team not strictly relying on Frank or PK or MaggliOWMYKNEE to hit a 3-run bomb to get the win. Finally a pitching staff the fans can count on to keep the Sox in every game.

In addition, I never did get the "we suck" mentality. Even in seasons when the team has clearly sucked and had no chance since day one (and there haven't been many of them recently) I still root with all my heart. I am not a baseball expert. I am a Sox fan and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The biggest difference I've noticed this season is that this team is comprised of players who want to be members of the White Sox organization. I think it's safe to conclude that the Sox previous right fielder didn't want to be here, and based on what Rowand and Konerko said in April, it seems that he was a big reason why there were so many chemistry problems the past few seasons.

gobears1987
06-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Has anybody else noticed the Dark Clouds have been missing the last few days? They aren't even in the game threads, much less the postgame threads. It's just kind of funny because they have always asserted they aren't just depressive psychos, that they will always be there to cheer the Sox on when they are doing well, but must criticize the team when doing poorly since they are "real Sox fans" unlike the rest of us. Well, where the hell are they when the Sox are on a roll? I would contend that their absence proves they are just chronic depressive, psychos who use this site to publicly display their affliction. They lie like rugs when they maintain they are not depressive psychos and are just "real fans". "Real fans" partake in the good times, not just the bad. I have this to say to the Dark Clouds. **** you. Don't come back when the Sox lose a game you ****ing psychotic warpos. :D:post of the week!!!

CubKilla
06-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm still here :smile: :yoohoo: . I just haven't had anything to bitch about lately. And boy, am I happy about that.

GO SOX :supernana:

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I never said "defense" as defined solely as glovework & throwing wasn't important. I'll gladly take a slick fielding team over another that isn't so slick.

I merely noted these same 6-7 position ballplayers (everyone in the field besides the pitcher, catcher and maybe the shortstop, too) make far more important contributions towards winning the game for the half-innings they're at the plate than the other half-innings they're standing around with a glove in their one hand while the other hand scratches their ass.

Defense is important. But in baseball, it's the pitcher that constitutes nearly all the defense because he is the one handling a live ball 90 percent of the time. Thus...

Defense wins championships.
Pitching wins championships.
Pitching and the little things wins championships.
Pitching and offense wins championships.

But pitching and defense wins second-place. See "Sox, White, 1921-present."

Well, if you look at the last several years, we've had some pitcing and lousy defense. However, if you look at the Sox from 1951-1967, you're pretty accurate. My favorite Billy Pierce story is where the Sox give him a one-run lead in the top of the first. Nellie Fox walks by him and says, "Well, we got you your run. Now hold 'em."

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 11:53 AM
A couple of nights ago, I was going through some of the archives and saw a few threads in which I was linked with the depressoids as the result of several columns I've written that were critical of Sox management. I find that absolutely hilarious.

For one thing, most of what I was critical about was the lack of pitching (management's hope that three good starters and one or two decent guys in the bullpen would carry them over the Twins), an unbalanced offense that was far too reliant on the long ball for scoring runs, and mediocre defense. Several columns were about the holes in the Sox lineup that hadn't been addressed.

Late last season, or perhaps just after it ended, I wrote an article addressing the Sox holes: right field (assuming Magglio was leaving or too hurt to come back), third base, shortstop (remember Uribe had been playing second base), catching, and a fifth starter. Seems to me they addressed these issues (except third base) over the off-season, and guess who has been optimistic about this season since before spring training.

I think my point is that I was never a depressoid. Sure, I'll bitch about a stupid play that costs us the game, but that's the right of every fan. I won't go so far as to say that this is conclusive proof that we're gonna collapse. Since Kenny Williams started making his moves last off-season, I've given him nothing but praise. He built a balanced team for the first time in years, and look where we are as a result of it.

That's where the depressoids are different. They see gloom and doom in each misplay, each strike out, and each bad outing by a pitcher. They wouldn't be happy if the Sox' team ERA were 0.00, everybody was batting 1.000, and no one had committed any errors all season.

So let me put the shoe on the other foot. A lot of people who are now complaining about the depressoids (or maybe rejoicing over their disappearance) were the same ones who saw nothing but good in the club from 2001-2004. There is such a thing as looking at the world through rose colored glasses, and a lot of my critics back then were doing just that, and that's just as annoying to me as the depressoids are.

HebrewHammer
06-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Seriously, if you can't enjoy this run we've put together, you should just pack up your baseball gear and cease being a fan.

I don't know how far this team will go, but I do know that going into work has been a lot easier since April.

elrod
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
The only "downside" to how the team is playing is that I can't think of anything but how the team is playing.:smile:

Blob
06-11-2005, 12:47 PM
West it could be the late starts in Colorado and SD, a depressed pyscho with less sleep is down right dangerous:D:

aw jeez the Sox are tanking they only won 7 out of their last 8, when they were going good they would have won 8 straight:o:

Maybe the Xanax is a little stronger these days...

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
A couple of nights ago, I was going through some of the archives and saw a few threads in which I was linked with the depressoids as the result of several columns I've written that were critical of Sox management. I find that absolutely hilarious.Hal, first of all, you aren't one of them. You're a geezer, that's different. :D: You've been through a lot of tough times. And you are always here, good times and bad. My whole rant was about those who are only here during bad times, raging away, claiming they are providing a "public service" for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm still here :smile: :yoohoo: . I just haven't had anything to bitch about lately. And boy, am I happy about that.

GO SOX :supernana: Could Killa be slightly happy? We'll have to check with Red and see if he's actually smiled during a Sox game lately. :D:

JB98
06-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't know how I rank in comparison to the other "depressoids." For one thing, I'm always here, win or lose. Secondly, I don't get pissed off after *every* loss. I shook off that extra-inning defeat we had last Sunday with ease, while others around here seemed ready to slit their wrists. Third, I actually get pissed at the team after wins on occasion. For example, the day Timo got the base hit in the ninth inning, I was disgusted by our poor offensive execution in that game. Apparently, Ozzie was too, because he called a meeting. I don't *always* look at a win through rose-colored glasses, and I actually have been banned from the site for a couple days for ripping the team after an ugly win. Fourthly, I defend several struggling players, namely PK, Uribe and Crede. Several depressoids want one or more of those players murdered, and quite a few seem to think one-third of the players on our roster should be sent packing. PK, Dye, Uribe, Crede, Contreras, Perez, Harris and everyone in the bullpen not named Hermanson or Politte have been subject to heavy criticism on this board. More often than not, I defend these players against depressoids who want them gone.

I am enjoying the season, but there's always a little part of me that worries about a long losing streak or a collapse or some injuries to key personnel. After three generations of pain, I guess its hard to be completely optimistic. However, I haven't had this much confidence in the Sox since the early 90s. Let's hope we can stay in front. After this great start, I would be heartbroken if we didn't at least make the playoffs.

In conclusion, I don't consider myself a Friend of HomeFish, but I don't think I'm a friend of FWC either. I'm somewhere in the middle.

SoxWillWin
06-11-2005, 02:11 PM
My 2 cents,

This season has so far been the best ball played on the southside since I can remember actually following the sox, (1984 I was only 5 in 83 and don't remember much of it). There are, however, two scenarios (well, more than two ,but I'll only address two) at work for most fans. One is that after all the years of losing, or being on top and crumbling, that is what they have come to expect and any little bump in the road brings back memories of the white flag trade. Suffice it to say the Sox have shown us a few times this season already that losing three in a row is not the end of the world. Hell 2 days a go the Twins were only 3.5 back (or was it 4?).

The second scenario is the one I'm from. Despite all the losing, dissapointments, fourth place predictions, etc. I like to believe that things aren't as bad as it seems. Some people call it rose colored glasses, I call it overly positive syndrome. God knows that I have had some personal rough times in my life, but I always keep an "it could be worse" attitude. So despite the fact that the past 80 something years have been letdowns doesn't mean that this one is automatically a letdown. I personally could not tell you any bad things about the past seasons for the sox, There in the past and should stay there. HERE AND NOW we have the best team in baseball, and until the win loss record dictates otherwise I'm enjoying every minute of it.

:smile:

TaylorStSox
06-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Wow a love fest on WSI. :cool:

I actually feel bad for Jeremyb1 though. I have a completely different baseball philosophy but he's still a Sox fan. There's a handful of guys on this site that don't know a thing about baseball IMO, but I'm not going to single them out. Let's give this guy a break. He's still a fan.

gobears1987
06-11-2005, 02:34 PM
I know I'm far from being a depressoid. I'm too optimistic which means that I get my heart broken by teams that collapse. I don't think 2005 will be one of those years.

Iwritecode
06-11-2005, 03:19 PM
However as West already notes, the fact certain somebodies are conspiciously absent during the good times speaks volumes about their credibility to whine and piss around here during the bad times.

Sorry, I don't post on weekends that much... :)

JB98
06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Wow a love fest on WSI. :cool:

I actually feel bad for Jeremyb1 though. I have a completely different baseball philosophy but he's still a Sox fan. There's a handful of guys on this site that don't know a thing about baseball IMO, but I'm not going to single them out. Let's give this guy a break. He's still a fan.

Do you really think he's a Sox fan? He knows an awful lot about the Oakland A's draftees and minor-league system, and he keeps Jeremy Reed's stats in his sig file. Frankly, I don't pay much attention to players who were formerly with the Sox organization.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Do you really think he's a Sox fan? He knows an awful lot about the Oakland A's draftees and minor-league system, and he keeps Jeremy Reed's stats in his sig file. Frankly, I don't pay much attention to players who were formerly with the Sox organization.

I agree. Someone who constantly criticizes Sox management, even when he has no cause to do so, is not a Sox fan. Jeremy has routinely made a point of ripping Ken Williams, even though KW has improved drastically as the GM since his first two seasons on the job. Some would call that a "different view" on baseball. I think it's trolling, to be perfectly honest.

TaylorStSox
06-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree. Someone who constantly criticizes Sox management, even when he has no cause to do so, is not a Sox fan. Jeremy has routinely made a point of ripping Ken Williams, even though KW has improved drastically as the GM since his first two seasons on the job. Some would call that a "different view" on baseball. I think it's trolling, to be perfectly honest.

You can say the same thing about the Hangar's of the world that constantly rip Reinsdorf and only mention the Sox when a mention of the Cubs comes up. Jeremyb1's stated several times that he's a Sox fan but SABRmetrics interest him. My personal baseball philosophy is the exact opposite, but we're both Sox fans. So, he's okay in my book.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
You can say the same thing about the Hangar's of the world that constantly rip Reinsdorf and only mention the Sox when a mention of the Cubs comes up. Jeremyb1's stated several times that he's a Sox fan but SABRmetrics interest him. My personal baseball philosophy is the exact opposite, but we're both Sox fans. So, he's okay in my book.

That's fine. You're welcome to your own opinion. As far as Hangar is concerned, I think people tend to regard him differently because he doesn't use his posts to provoke argument. Jeremyb1 has frequently come to the board with the specific intent of starting an argument. Hangar's moaning about the Flubs can be annoying, but he doesn't strike me as the confrontational type. Jeremy, OTOH...

JB98
06-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Fair enough. I just think he loves sabermetrics more than anything in the world, and any interest in the Sox is clearly secondary. To be honest, I find his posts unreadable.

Like all fans, I look at stats, but I form most of my opinions on players on the basis of what I observe while watching the game. When jeremyb1 starts talking about VORP, I move on to the next thread.

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 06:39 PM

When Hangar refuses to admit that JR has raised payroll this season and continues to harp on the loss of Carlos Lee, he is behaving EXACTLY like Jeremy, who refuses to admit that Reed and Olivo are poor ball players at the moment and Freddie is a stellar ballplayer simply because his anti-gm made the deal.

Fortunately, Hangar does not do this nearly as much as Jeremy.

You may say that Jeremy is a Sox fan who hates our GM. I look at him as someone who would rather be right about KW than see the Sox succeed. Case in point his harping in the Moneyball draft thread.

"I just want Kenny to fail so we can get a sabrmetrics GM and finally be good" is his and others like him's song. It's a stupid tune and only losers sing it.

Hangar only wants Jerry to sell or spend, not the Sox to lose to prove his point.

JB98
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
When Hangar refuses to admit that JR has raised payroll this season and continues to harp on the loss of Carlos Lee, he is behaving EXACTLY like Jeremy, who refuses to admit that Reed and Olivo are poor ball players at the moment and Freddie is a stellar ballplayer simply because his anti-gm made the deal.

Fortunately, Hangar does not do this nearly as much as Jeremy.

You may say that Jeremy is a Sox fan who hates our GM. I look at him as someone who would rather be right about KW than see the Sox succeed. Case in point his harping in the Moneyball draft thread.

"I just want Kenny to fail so we can get a sabrmetrics GM and finally be good" is his and others like him's song. It's a stupid tune and only losers sing it.

Hangar only wants Jerry to sell or spend, not the Sox to lose to prove his point.

I just wish some of these people would admit it when they are wrong. I hated the CLee trade when it was made, but now I can see that it was a deal that helped both teams. Every time Podsednik wins a game for us with his legs, I'll gladly take the Sox victory with a side of crow.

Jeremyb1 and many of the other FOBB refuse to admit the Garcia deal helped the Sox. Ten years from now, they'll still be quoting Reed's stats and criticizing KW, even if Freddy is part of a World Series winner at some point in his Sox career. Garcia could win Game 7 of the World Series for us, and we'd still be hearing about Reed.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
since when do we have to resort to McCarthyism around here...cant we all just get along? :D:

BigEdWalsh
06-11-2005, 07:00 PM
since when do we have to resort to McCarthyism around here...cant we all just get along? :D:

Brandon McCarthyism?? :dunno:

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I just wish some of these people would admit it when they are wrong. I hated the CLee trade when it was made, but now I can see that it was a deal that helped both teams. Every time Podsednik wins a game for us with his legs, I'll gladly take the Sox victory with a side of crow.

Jeremyb1 and many of the other FOBB refuse to admit the Garcia deal helped the Sox. Ten years from now, they'll still be quoting Reed's stats and criticizing KW, even if Freddy is part of a World Series winner at some point in his Sox career. Garcia could win Game 7 of the World Series for us, and we'd still be hearing about Reed.

I don't even care if they disagree with the trade. I just hate the bull**** party line:

"we only traded for a half season of Garcia. We could have just signed him as a free agent if he really wanted to play for Ozzie that much."

If you say that, you are blatantly avoiding not being an idiot in order to rip Kenny.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Brandon McCarthyism?? :dunno:
lol, but no...McCarthyism was a term used in the cold war era meaning to root out the "reds," or communists in our gov't back in the 50s headed by senator joseph mccarthy. it was more of a self conscious suspision that there were spies or informants within our gov't, none were ever convicted, however many were accused. i was referring to west and his desire to root out the reds ("fake sox fans")

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 07:58 PM
lol, but no...McCarthyism was a term used in the cold war era meaning to root out the "reds," or communists in our gov't back in the 50s headed by senator joseph mccarthy. it was more of a self conscious suspision that there were spies or informants within our gov't, none were ever convicted, however many were accused. i was referring to west and his desire to root out the reds ("fake sox fans")

I believe it's a failed metaphor, since, as we are reminded often by the mods - This is not a democracy.

but thanks for the pedantry

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I believe it's a failed metaphor, since, as we are reminded often by the mods - This is not a democracy.

but thanks for the pedantry
there was nothing democratic about those accusations in the 50s as mccarthy never had any reason or proof to accuse whoever he chose to be his next victim, nonetheless, i do see your point

TaylorStSox
06-11-2005, 08:39 PM

I loathed the Garcia deal too. I'm not a FOBB by any stretch of the imagination. I just didn't want Garcia. I was wrong. I eat crow now. :D:

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 09:09 PM
there was nothing democratic about those accusations in the 50s as mccarthy never had any reason or proof to accuse whoever he chose to be his next victim, nonetheless, i do see your point

um my point is that mccarthy's accusations are only infringements of the rights of people in a democracy.

a totalitarian regime like WSI :) has the right to target anyone they please, and FWC especially does with all the work he puts into this site.

faneidde
06-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I've been eating my fair share of crow all season after I was critical of KW in the offseason. I thought this was a 3rd place team to start the year (behind the Twins and Indians) and right now I'm very glad to be wrong. I don't understand why some of the others who thought like me seem desperate to see their predictions come true. I was wrong and I couldn't be happier.

owensmouth
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM

I too have my doubts about Kenny Williams. But I tip my hat to him for the success that the Sox have had thus far with his recent acquisitions.

I have been of the opinion that the trade for Freddie was a good trade, and I expect that we'll continue to be satisfied with his production.

I'd like to call your attention to an earlier trade, made far before KW was a member of the White Sox. The trade that I'm thinking of is the Tommy John for Dick Allen trade. Do any of you remember it? I was totally against that trade. Oh, I cheered when Allen hit his homers. Some of them were awesome. And it was great to have a hitter of his capabilities in the lineup.

But in three years he was gone. He left the team, deserted it in mid season.

And Tommy John? He went on to win two hundred more victories for various teams. He had several twenty win seasons. Ended up with roughly 285 victories.

A trade that looks good after two months can have an entirely different appearance twenty years later.

Hopefully we will win the pennant this year, and then the World Series. That would go a long way to vindicate the moves that KW has made. And lend more support to the claim that Williams is a great GM.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2005, 03:22 AM
In fact having the Flubs around serves as the perfect "idiot filter" to keep all the stupid fans away from Sox Fandom. This is the advantage we have over otherwise intelligent fan bases in cities like Boston. For every intelligent Sox fan in Boston, there is another crying on and on about curses. Thanks to the idiot filter here in Chicago, all our idiots wind up drunk and stupid at the Urinal. The rest of us are Sox Fans. That's a good thing.George, this couldn't have been better stated, and it's somthing I've never considered. I'm going to be using this to explain to all the Twins fans around me about being a Sox fan.

Thank God we don't get the "we're cursed" crowd.

FarWestChicago
06-12-2005, 04:09 AM
George, this couldn't have been better stated, and it's somthing I've never considered. I'm going to be using this to explain to all the Twins fans around me about being a Sox fan.

Thank God we don't get the "we're cursed" crowd.The best part is it's truly a unique situation. There are other two team towns/areas. But none of them can boast such an effective "idiot filter". We are literally a fanbase with the vast majority of morons removed. Obviously, judging from the posts here, there are still plenty remaining. It makes you wonder what it must be like to be the fan of an unfiltered team. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2005, 10:11 AM
The best part is it's truly a unique situation. There are other two team towns/areas. But none of them can boast such an effective "idiot filter". We are literally a fanbase with the vast majority of morons removed. Obviously, judging from the posts here, there are still plenty remaining. It makes you wonder what it must be like to be the fan of an unfiltered team.

I think you've identified the downside to having such a good idiot filter, West. When you filter out all the idiocy that the Flubs' fanbase constitutes, you're left with only those people who give a damn about the game. However this still includes a lunatic fringe that has positively no sense of perspective on anything baseball-related. And since the remainder of the "cleansed" fanbase is relatively small, this lunatic fringe becomes the part of the fanbase outsiders begin to think represents all Sox Fans, the media included.

By definition the lunatics are emotionally unstable. It's precisely these types who are most likely to call into sportsblab radio shows, write letters to the editor and (surprise!) come to WSI and rant and rave after every Sox defeat. (They may or may not be fixated on the Lovable Losers, but that's a different subject.)

Now here's the scary part. Until 1998 when WSI was launched, the lunatic fringe constituted virtually 100 percent of what the Chicago sports media knew about the average Sox Fan because it was only the lunatics who were contacting them and making their lunacy known. THAT'S SCARY!
:o:

No wonder it has been such a long hard road to gain some respect back for Sox Fans in the media's eyes... the lunatics have already poisoned the well!

I like our idiot filter. Having the Flubs around protects us from the idiots. Our idiot filter keeps our fan base filled with the sort of fans we can (mostly) be proud of. I think even the media in this town now has grudging respect for the obvious superior baseball smarts of the average Sox Fan over the average dope supporting the Lovable Losers. The only exceptions are complete idiots like that tanning bed blow-dried sports mediot at Channel 7.

:giangreco
"That would be me!"

Having said that, we need to keep finding new ways to deal with the lunatic fringe. It remains a work in progress.