PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Stat

Chicago83
06-11-2005, 02:15 AM
The top three pitching staffs in the major leagues
Minnesota 3.40 Team ERA
Sox 3.46
Indians 3.57

The twinks creeped up on us and took the lead, but it's amazing that three AL central teams have better ERA's than every national league team. This is a tough division, especially if Cleveland starts hitting. You have to like the Sox sporting the best record in baseball in one of the best divisions in baseball.

johnnyg83
06-11-2005, 02:54 AM
And the Tigres are #5.

Evman5
06-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Sorry I am a little to lazy to look it up right now, but where does the central rank in teh offensive categories. I bet they are all in the lower half of runs scored and average. This may contribute to the low staff eras of the AL central. I think it is a combination of having a weak hitting division as well as some great pitching. All of the staffs have shown me the ability to go out and shut out teams outside our division as well. So all I am saying is that the weak hitting might be contributing slightly.

NardiWasHere
06-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Sorry I am a little to lazy to look it up right now, but where does the central rank in teh offensive categories. I bet they are all in the lower half of runs scored and average. This may contribute to the low staff eras of the AL central. I think it is a combination of having a weak hitting division as well as some great pitching. All of the staffs have shown me the ability to go out and shut out teams outside our division as well. So all I am saying is that the weak hitting might be contributing slightly.

Why can't you turn it around and say that the weak hitting is a product of facing the other good staffs in the division?

FarWestChicago
06-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Why can't you turn it around and say that the weak hitting is a product of facing the other good staffs in the division?Why not just assume the worst? :rolleyes:

Evman5
06-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Why can't you turn it around and say that the weak hitting is a product of facing the other good staffs in the division?

I guess you could say that, but the fact is we don't have any regulars hitting over .300. I mean if you are a .300 hitter you will usually hit around .300. IMO the central isn't that strong offensively and this contributes to the pitching dominating. I don't consider any of the teams in the central an offensive force. Going into the season I felt like the indians were going to be much stronger offensively. But I guess it can be looked at both ways, I just feel that their is a combination of subpar hitting and good pitching that is contributing to the low staff ERAs in the central division.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2005, 04:11 AM
The twinks creeped up on us...No, they may have crept up, but they didn't creeped up.

DrCrawdad
06-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Minnesota 3.40 Team ERA
Sox 3.46
Indians 3.57

The twinks creeped up on us and took the lead, but it's amazing that three AL central teams have better ERA's than every national league team. This is a tough division, especially if Cleveland starts hitting. You have to like the Sox sporting the best record in baseball in one of the best divisions in baseball.

Don't believe it! Just keep repeating the mantra, "The AL Central is the worst division in baseball."

fquaye149
06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
:pundit

"The White Sox have great pitching but this is the AMERICAN LEAGUE where only hitting counts. Therefore the two best teams in the AL will certainly have a great lineup, not great pitching. Also, I wear a bib to keep my shirt clean of drool."

gosox41
06-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Minnesota 3.40 Team ERA
Sox 3.46
Indians 3.57

I was surprised by that stat. It's good to see the AL Central getting some positive recognition for being a tougher division then it's been credited for.

Bob

elrod
06-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I just love that our starting pitchers are 32-10.

Cowhead418
06-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Minnesota 3.40 Team ERA
Sox 3.46
Indians 3.57

Is that in the ML or just the AL? Pretty amazing either way though.

hose
06-11-2005, 10:27 AM
How about the Sox going into Coors Field and getting excellent pitching from the lower end of the starters. Then the bull pen followed the starters with great results.

Contreras and Cotts really have been pitching outstanding the last couple of weeks. Don Cooper has to get some major kudos for the work with Neal and Jose. Getting Vizcaino back into form would be icing on the cake.

dcb33
06-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Is that in the ML or just the AL? Pretty amazing either way though.

The Twins, Sox, and Indians are #1,2, and 3 in ERA in all of baseball, and the Tigers are 12th.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_team_stats.jsp?baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2005&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

Buehrle > Wood
06-11-2005, 02:53 PM

I am just going to take a look at see how the sox starters have pitched outside the division as compared to inside it.

Buehrle 3.15 Season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL .380
vs.ANA 2.08
vs.CLE 1.88
vs.DET 3.86
vs.KC 4.50
vs.MIN 6.43
vs.OAK 10.50
vs.SEA 1.00
vs.TEX 0.00
vs.TOR 2.45

3 of his 4 highest ERA's are against teams in the AL Central (his worst is against OAK at the Colisium in that CRAZY game) only 36.1 IP vs. AL Central, 55.0 IP vs. Other

Garland 3.23 season ERA

ERA
vs.BAL 2.25
vs.ANA 3.86
vs.CLE 5.40
vs.DET 0.53
vs.MIN 4.50
vs.OAK 0.00
vs.SEA 2.57
vs.TEX 6.23
vs.TOR 9.53
vs.SD 1.29

2 of his 4 highest ERA's are against AL Central team, only 29.2 IP vs. AL Central

Garcia 3.51 Season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL 10.50
vs.ANA 3.38
vs.CLE 1.93
vs.KC 2.70
vs.OAK 1.29
vs.SEA 6.43
vs.CHC 0.00
vs.COL 3.38
vs.TB 5.68

Freddy has dominated the AL Central, but he has only thrown 27.1 innings of his 82.0 total IP against only 2 AL Central teams

Contreras 3.13 season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL 5.68
vs.ANA 3.46
vs.CLE 3.55
vs.DET 1.50
vs.KC 1.59
vs.MIN 3.86
vs.CHC 1.29
vs.COL 1.50
vs.TB 7.20

Jose has also dominated the AL Central which has comprised 34.2 of 72.0 IP, he has probably benefited more than any of the Sox other pitcher from the ALC.

Hernandez 4.34 season ERA
ERA
vs.CLE 6.55
vs.DET 3.86
vs.KC 1.80
vs.MIN 0.69
vs.TEX 20.25
vs.TOR 3.86
vs. COL 6.00
vs.TB 2.84
El Duque has pitch very well against the ALC minus Cleveland. 36.0 of 58.0 IP vs. AL Central, most of any Sox pitcher.

So overall I think that don't think you can contribute the Sox team ERA to playing in the ALC. They haven't play within there own division enough to determine that. They have pitched very well outside the division minus a couple terrible starts against Texas by El Duque and Garland. Minnesota and Cleveland? My guess is they have pitch just as well outside the division has the Sox have. ALC pitching seem pretty legit at this point.

MIgrenade
06-11-2005, 03:36 PM

The problem is that none of these teams play all of their games in the division, and certainly not enough to have a major affect on the stats of pitchers or hitters. The offenses have to be weak against teams outside the division, and the pitching has to be strong outside the division. That is not to say there is no affect, but it is not the sole cause.

elrod
06-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I am just going to take a look at see how the sox starters have pitched outside the division as compared to inside it.

Buehrle 3.15 Season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL .380
vs.ANA 2.08
vs.CLE 1.88
vs.DET 3.86
vs.KC 4.50
vs.MIN 6.43
vs.OAK 10.50
vs.SEA 1.00
vs.TEX 0.00
vs.TOR 2.45

3 of his 4 highest ERA's are against teams in the AL Central (his worst is against OAK at the Colisium in that CRAZY game) only 36.1 IP vs. AL Central, 55.0 IP vs. Other

Garland 3.23 season ERA

ERA
vs.BAL 2.25
vs.ANA 3.86
vs.CLE 5.40
vs.DET 0.53
vs.MIN 4.50
vs.OAK 0.00
vs.SEA 2.57
vs.TEX 6.23
vs.TOR 9.53
vs.SD 1.29

2 of his 4 highest ERA's are against AL Central team, only 29.2 IP vs. AL Central

Garcia 3.51 Season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL 10.50
vs.ANA 3.38
vs.CLE 1.93
vs.KC 2.70
vs.OAK 1.29
vs.SEA 6.43
vs.CHC 0.00
vs.COL 3.38
vs.TB 5.68

Freddy has dominated the AL Central, but he has only thrown 27.1 innings of his 82.0 total IP against only 2 AL Central teams

Contreras 3.13 season ERA
ERA
vs.BAL 5.68
vs.ANA 3.46
vs.CLE 3.55
vs.DET 1.50
vs.KC 1.59
vs.MIN 3.86
vs.CHC 1.29
vs.COL 1.50
vs.TB 7.20

Jose has also dominated the AL Central which has comprised 34.2 of 72.0 IP, he has probably benefited more than any of the Sox other pitcher from the ALC.

Hernandez 4.34 season ERA
ERA
vs.CLE 6.55
vs.DET 3.86
vs.KC 1.80
vs.MIN 0.69
vs.TEX 20.25
vs.TOR 3.86
vs. COL 6.00
vs.TB 2.84
El Duque has pitch very well against the ALC minus Cleveland. 36.0 of 58.0 IP vs. AL Central, most of any Sox pitcher.

So overall I think that don't think you can contribute the Sox team ERA to playing in the ALC. They haven't play within there own division enough to determine that. They have pitched very well outside the division minus a couple terrible starts against Texas by El Duque and Garland. Minnesota and Cleveland? My guess is they have pitch just as well outside the division has the Sox have. ALC pitching seem pretty legit at this point.

Given that, it's amazing we're 20-5 against the AL Central.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Given that, it's amazing we're 20-5 against the AL Central.
a stat that is more overlooked than the white sox themselves

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
a stat that is more overlooked than the white sox themselves

I made a point about this last week. The Sox have nothing to worry about as long as they maintain their current dominance over the AL Central because Minnesota can't match it. In fact the entire Sox lead over Minnesota can be traced to their superior record head to head and inside the division.

Everyone fretting over those August and September games against the Twinkies needs to take a valium and go lay down. If the current trend continues, Minnesota will be dead and buried long before August 15... thank you Cleveland and Detroit.

:thumbsup:

ilsox7
06-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I made a point about this last week. The Sox have nothing to worry about as long as they maintain their current dominance over the AL Central because Minnesota can't match it. In fact the entire Sox lead over Minnesota can be traced to their superior record head to head and inside the division.

Everyone fretting over those August and September games against the Twinkies needs to take a valium and go lay down. If the current trend continues, Minnesota will be dead and buried long before August 15... thank you Cleveland and Detroit.

:thumbsup:

But I thought Cleveland and Detroit were going to be battling for the Division title, not helping the Sox win one.

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 04:36 PM
But I thought Cleveland and Detroit were going to be battling for the Division title, not helping the Sox win one.
:boston
"i just assumed the sox would suck, maybe i should hang it up"

fuzzy_patters
06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
The amazing thing about that statistic is that earned run averages in the National League are usually around .5 runs lower than in the American League because the pitcher bats. When you subtract half a run off of their averages to get the N.L. equivalent, you get 2.90, 2.96, and 3.07. While I realize that the conversion isn't exactly .50, those are still some really phenomenal numbers. :o: