PDA

View Full Version : White Socks

Mammoo
06-10-2005, 09:22 PM
This has probably already been discussed....but don't the White Sox look ridiculous wearing black socks!!!:?:

Now that the players seem to be returning to the traditional length pants...how about a uni that features "Pale Hose"???

owensmouth
06-10-2005, 09:25 PM
The Sox did that in the 1959 World Series. They looked awful.

oeo
06-10-2005, 09:26 PM
This has probably already been discussed....but don't the White Sox look ridiculous wearing black socks!!!:?:

Now that the players seem to be returning to the traditional length pants...how about a uni that features "Pale Hose"???

No they really don't look ridiculous, black is their main color...

White socks probably would look awful.

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 09:28 PM

i agree, i love the black high socks. i couldnt even picture them wearing white ones

PAPChiSox729
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM

I would imagine that they would be. I think their uniforms are fine and, until now, I had never wondered why they don't wear white socks.

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 09:33 PM
i think the only way that white socks would work is if they wore black pants and thats almost as hard to imagine as them wearing white socks with their current unis

Mammoo
06-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Perhaps some white stripes on the socks might be a better look...

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/Whats_Hot_Page/Complete_List_Of_HOF_Cards/Lopez_Al_Supercard.jpg

No biggie...just wondrin'...

If they go to the World Series I'll live with the black socks!:smile:

Brian26
06-10-2005, 09:38 PM
The black soccer-style socks are just beyond awesome looking, especially with the road grey pants. The white socks would look heinous. The Sox have a nice "white sock in a diamond" logo on their sleeve. Really, the unis are perfect and should never, ever be changed again. Period. End of discussion.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 09:45 PM
It seems to me there is nothing "uniform" about the way ballplayers wear their socks anymore. It sort of stands the notion of a "uniform" on its head.

I could get behind a change in the Sox socks but not until MLB began requiring all ballplayers to wear their socks and pant legs in a uniform style. (No I don't care what style they choose, as long as it is uniform.)

I'm not holding my breath waiting for MLB to end the fashion faux pas that has become baseball "sock fashion." Until then, just leave the Sox socks black.

:cool:

Wsoxmike59
06-10-2005, 09:51 PM
When I was a kid of 10 years old I remember getting this baseball card of Carlos May (1970 Topps) and thinking that the white stirrup sock over the powder blue sanitary sock was about the coolest looking thing I had ever seen on a baseball uniform.

The next uniform up was the Red Pin Stripes (which I'm very fond of BTW) but I HATED the fact we wore RED STIRRUP SOCKS! We weren't the freaking Red Sox, I thought to myself....

Anyhow I digress.....I think the White Socks would look pretty cool on our uni......especially with a few rows of black piping.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/3c/46/2e_1_b.JPG

Wsoxmike59
06-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Here's the famous moment from the 1959 World Series when Al Smith got drenched from a beer shower. You can get a good view of the White socks the team wore for the first few games of the series. (a look they later abandoned after they fell back 2 games to 1 in the series)

http://4oldpals.com/albroyce/albums/Heritage/beershwr.sized.jpg

Cubbiesuck13
06-10-2005, 09:59 PM

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/Whats_Hot_Page/Complete_List_Of_HOF_Cards/Lopez_Al_Supercard.jpg

If they go to the World Series I'll live with the black socks!:smile:

That is the coolest baseball uniform I have ever seen. I like the black socks with the gray pants but this is even better.

Since the SOX are going to be wearing the 1959 uniforms against the dodgers, is it safe to assume they will be wearing white socks?

Brian26
06-10-2005, 10:04 PM
When I was a kid of 10 years old I remember getting this baseball card of Carlos May (1970 Topps) and thinking that the white stirrup sock over the powder blue sanitary sock was about the coolest looking thing I had ever seen on a baseball uniform.

That uniform didn't last very long. From what I've read, the white numbers on the grey jersey were impossible to see in person and on tv.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 10:07 PM
That is the coolest baseball uniform I have ever seen. I like the black socks with the gray pants but this is even better.

Since the SOX are going to be wearing the 1959 uniforms against the dodgers, is it safe to assume they will be wearing white socks?

Check your screen's resolution. That's dark blue. Or "midnight blue" as Nellie calls it. I once called it "navy blue" but somebody here (Brian26?) found the Crayola website's definition of their "navy blue" that was a shockingly insipid shade much closer to periwinkle than dark blue.

Anyway, it's not black. If you saw black next to it, you would know what I mean.

wassagstdu
06-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Here's the famous moment from the 1959 World Series when Al Smith got drenched from a beer shower. You can get a good view of the White socks the team wore for the first few games of the series. (a look they later abandoned after they fell back 3 games to 1 in the series)

http://4oldpals.com/albroyce/albums/Heritage/beershwr.sized.jpg
They wore them for exactly one game, the second game of the series -- to celebrate their big win in game one. When they lost game two they switched back
.:fsock

Mammoo
06-10-2005, 11:02 PM
It seems to me there is nothing "uniform" about the way ballplayers wear their socks anymore. It sort of stands the notion of a "uniform" on its head.

I could get behind a change in the Sox socks but not until MLB began requiring all ballplayers to wear their socks and pant legs in a uniform style. (No I don't care what style they choose, as long as it is uniform.)

I'm not holding my breath waiting for MLB to end the fashion faux pas that has become baseball "sock fashion." Until then, just leave the Sox socks black.

The NFL gets ripped because they are strict about their "uniforms". But I think it's great. They even standardized the dew rags that became popular. But MLB let's these guys do what they want with their unis.

Case in point...did you see how sloppy C.C. Sabathia and Ron Belliard looked when they came to town...hats askew, shirttails untucked, droopy pants...http://www.teresco.org/pics/toabq-20030820-31/23/P8230040-640
MyGod!!!

Rocklive99
06-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Flashback to that PK/Mulder ESPN commercial, Ahhh!

Brian26
06-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Anyway, it's not black. If you saw black next to it, you would know what I mean.

There's a Barry Bonds joke in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to look for it :D:

Brian26
06-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Check your screen's resolution. That's dark blue. Or "midnight blue" as Nellie calls it. I once called it "navy blue" but somebody here (Brian26?) found the Crayola website's definition of their "navy blue" that was a shockingly insipid shade much closer to periwinkle than dark blue.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44662&page=1&pp=15&highlight=crayola

It's a fun read. I think we were all bored back in January.

Wsoxmike59
06-10-2005, 11:08 PM
They wore them for exactly one game, the second game of the series -- to celebrate their big win in game one. When they lost game two they switched back
.:fsock

I'm pretty positive they wore them for 3 games in the Series. Bill Veeck broke 'em out before Game 1 of the World Series hoping to exorcise the demons of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. The Sox were definitley wearing them in Game # 1 when Klu had his big 2 HR day in the 11-0 win. The Sox wore them for game # 2 when Al Smith took the beer bath. They also wore them for game # 3 in the Coleseum out in L.A..

They switched back to the Black Sox in Game 4 out in L.A. and then wore them for the rest of the series.

http://4oldpals.com/albroyce/albums/Heritage/bigKlu.sized.jpg

Sox of White
06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
"Good guys wear black"

Hendu
06-11-2005, 01:02 AM
The NFL gets ripped because they are strict about their "uniforms". But I think it's great. They even standardized the dew rags that became popular. But MLB let's these guys do what they want with their unis.

Case in point...did you see how sloppy C.C. Sabathia and Ron Belliard looked when they came to town...hats askew, shirttails untucked, droopy pants...http://www.teresco.org/pics/toabq-20030820-31/23/P8230040-640
MyGod!!!

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Throw in Coco Crisp wearing his hat to the side and the Indians have to be the sloppiest uniform team in MLB (as if we need another reason to hate them). But I have to say that Belliard's sloppy uniform is probably a little more in disarray than CC's.

zach074
06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Throw in Coco Crisp wearing his hat to the side and the Indians have to be the sloppiest uniform team in MLB (as if we need another reason to hate them). But I have to say that Belliard's sloppy uniform is probably a little more in disarray than CC's.

CC's pants are baggy right now because he will grow into them by the end of the year.

Ol' No. 2
06-11-2005, 01:32 AM

If they go to the World Series I'll live with the black socks!:smile:Bring back the stirrups with white sanitary socks. Why did they ever get rid of those, anyway?

StockdaleForVeep
06-11-2005, 01:45 AM
For the same reason that we rarely see the Oakland A's old time yellow stirrups, because it looks horrid

As for the A's, looks like the players had an accident the way those stirrups look

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2005, 01:53 AM
Talking about pants length, the funny thing is that the way Big Klu is wearing his shirt sleeves in the picture above would not be allowed today. During the year that MLB honored Jackie Robinson (when every team retired his number) Deon Sanders tried to honor him by wearing his shirt sleeves about three inches long, like Jackie did. MLB stepped in and said he couldn't do it unless everyone on the Reds did it; they said all sleeve lengths on the team had to be the same.

I've asked this before, and of course I know that no one here can answer it, but why do sleeves have to be the same length, but pants can vary from "at the knees" to the Barry Bonds spats?

MIgrenade
06-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Talking about pants length, the funny thing is that the way Big Klu is wearing his shirt sleeves in the picture above would not be allowed today. During the year that MLB honored Jackie Robinson (when every team retired his number) Deon Sanders tried to honor him by wearing his shirt sleeves about three inches long, like Jackie did. MLB stepped in and said he couldn't do it unless everyone on the Reds did it; they said all sleeve lengths on the team had to be the same.

I've asked this before, and of course I know that no one here can answer it, but why do sleeves have to be the same length, but pants can vary from "at the knees" to the Barry Bonds spats?

I can't answer that question definitively but I think the pants are allowed to be cut for comfort while shirt sleeves are for uniformity. Personally, I don't want to see CC in tight pants, that would be gross and I don't think he could pitch in anything tight.

wassagstdu
06-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty positive they wore them for 3 games in the Series. Bill Veeck broke 'em out before Game 1 of the World Series hoping to exorcise the demons of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. The Sox were definitley wearing them in Game # 1 when Klu had his big 2 HR day in the 11-0 win. The Sox wore them for game # 2 when Al Smith took the beer bath. They also wore them for game # 3 in the Coleseum out in L.A..

They switched back to the Black Sox in Game 4 out in L.A. and then wore them for the rest of the series.

http://4oldpals.com/albroyce/albums/Heritage/bigKlu.sized.jpg
Seeing is believing. I stand corrected. I also found a picture of the team lined up before game 3 and they were definitely wearing the white socks then too.

Red Barchetta
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I no longer associate "SOX" with White Stockings. In this new era, I think the current uniforms are absolutely perfect. The white "SOX" on the black hats signify "White Sox" to me.

P.S. - I'm also glad we haven't seen the fake vests this year. That look was getting a little old. The only team I think looks good wearing sleeveless is Pittsburgh due to their history of similar uniforms.

Back to topic, check out the flicks "Field of Dreams" or "Eight Men Out" to get a better feel on how white stocking would look on the uniform. I think it looks good with the older style uniforms, however I don't think the look would carry over well into the modern uniforms.

Besides, after the SOX win the World Series this year, we'll be seeing hats everywhere. Except in Wrigleyville where they will still be wearing their Red Sox hats from last year. How pathetic was that?!?! :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2005, 03:28 AM
P.S. - I'm also glad we haven't seen the fake vests this year. That look was getting a little old. The only team I think looks good wearing sleeveless is Pittsburgh due to their history of similar uniforms. The Reds and the A's also have a history of vests.

Haven't the Sox worn theirs this year? I get to see so few games.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2005, 03:29 AM
I can't answer that question definitively but I think the pants are allowed to be cut for comfort while shirt sleeves are for uniformity. Personally, I don't want to see CC in tight pants, that would be gross and I don't think he could pitch in anything tight.I wasn't talking about how tight the pants are, I was talking about how long they are.

bunnybrief
06-12-2005, 07:38 AM
:roflmao:

Oh Mammoo, you are a genius!

soxfanreggie
06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I am sick and tired of my friends who aren't Sox fans bringing this topic up because we are the best team in baseball. It seems they just get jealous when the Sox are doing well. I could care less what color our players Sox are. The Flubs don't wear bear skins when they play nor do the Tigers wear tiger pelts. So we don't wear white socks...who cares...

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2005, 02:39 AM
I could care less what color our players Sox are.Just how much less could you care?