PDA

View Full Version : New commercials

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't see a thread on this, so forgive me if I'm being redundant here...

Today I heard a Sox commercial (on FM no less, not sports talk) about catching home run balls at the cell and not throwing them back. I thought it was awesome. Another example of the marketing crew being in touch with the true fans of this team as none of us would ever think of doing such a stupid, copycat thing. Great job. (and hopefully the message is well-received if you know what I mean)

rdwj
06-09-2005, 09:35 PM
That one has been around a while - hasn't helped. I wish they would do a PSA about it

DuckSnort
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I heard that for the first time the otherday also! I chuckled to myself and wondered how long before I'd see a post pop up about it here :D: It's a great ad!

oeo
06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
That one has been around a while - hasn't helped. I wish they would do a PSA about it

Yeah, all of these ads are on the White Sox website if you haven't heard them all, thats where I heard most of them. It also has the majority of TV commercials as well.

soxgirl617
06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I haven't heard the commercial, but I'm glad to hear it's out there. The Wrigley-inspired "throw it back" thing drives me NUTS at Sox games.....I can't believe people actually do it. I just always hope that the "thrower" is not a Sox fan, but some random person who doesn't know any better.

BTW, I think the new TV commercials are just horrible.:(:

kevingrt
06-10-2005, 12:59 PM
They should really announce that during the games. Something like we are not losers like the people on the northside of town so we apprecaite any homerun ball we can get.

Sxy Mofo
06-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Do they make any sort of announcement about getting kicked out of the game if you throw a home run ball back. They announce it over the PA at rockies games.

mdep524
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't mind this year's radio commercials or last year's Sox Pride TV spots, but this new round of TV commercials is so bad it is actually embarrassing to see them.

There are three: one featuring Buehrle, one with Paulie, and one with Shingo and Tadahito, all having out of body experiences on the L with horribly unfunny results. I cringe every time I see any of them. Each are uninspiring, unfunny, and not the least bit well-written or clever. The actors who play the characters from heaven/hell on the L are truly awful. What is the point?? I think we can toss these in with Royce Clayton making fake fireworks noises.

If Two By Four is responsible for them, I suggest they go back to the drawing board for the next batch of ads, draw on last year's clever themes and go away from this overly cheesy tone.

Thoughts?

Baby Fisk
06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
I've seen the one with Rowand & the devil, and IT SUCKED.

PatK
06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Nothing like the voice of Red Foreman being the voice of the WhiteSox commercials.

Jerko
06-10-2005, 01:44 PM
The ONLY thing even remotely funny about any of them is you can hear Hawk in the background at the very end of one saying "he gone" and it kind of fit in to the commercial. I think it was Konerko's. Other than that, ugh.

PicktoCLick72
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Rowand you're mine!

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
They should really announce that during the games. Something like we are not losers like the people on the northside of town so we apprecaite any homerun ball we can get.Wasn't Brooks at one time suggesting that they might put something on drink cups asking people not to throw HR balls back? That would be perfect to have starting on June 24.:cool:

wdelaney72
06-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I've been hugely disappointed with ALL radio & TV commercials this year... especially after such a great year last year.

NSSoxFan
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
I agree 100%. Two by Four has done a horrid job on the television spots and to think that they came on WSI for suggestions. We aren't looking for award winning commercials but I mean come on...

NonetheLoaiza
06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
The thing about the tv spots is that they don't make any sense whatsoever. Like, it's supposed to fit the Win. Or Die Trying campaign, but it just is so far stretched that you don't understand it. The writing is really no good, and each of the spots makes me cringe, it's so embarassing.

PS...we need that Ozzie commercial back where he talks about the players and goes, 'Oliiiivo, HE A CRAZAY MAAAAN!' Even though Mo isn't here anymore, bring back that commercial!

Iwritecode
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
I think the best baseball commercials I ever saw were the ones the Mariners made after they won 116 games.

A handful of Mariners players were out on the field and all of a sudden a bunch of old men representing the 1906 Cubs came out to "challenge" them.

They hobbled around on canes and walkers while the Mariners hit and threw the ball all over the place.

Good stuff. :D:

ja1022
06-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Agreed. The new television spots really suck. In fact, if it were anything else than the White Sox they were trying to sell, I wouldn't buy the product on principle alone.

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
i agree, the commercials are not what they used to be, especially this years batch. i dont know if i like the whole "win or die trying" moto. i love what it stands for but its kind of a bold statement to make

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I think some of you are suffering from advanced symptoms of amnesia. I am still haunted by that ridiculous banjo background music Gallas used year after year after year. And who can forget the "generations" commercial with the old goat talking about the go-go Sox, followed by his mid-life crisis son waxing poetic about the winnin' ugly Sox, and finally -- the most obnoxious of them all -- the little girl chanting, "O-E-O! Magg-lio!"

Fingernails scratching a chalkboard!!!!

:threadsucks

I_Liked_Manuel
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
the one with iguchi and takatsu is hilarious, but only because they look ridiculous. the part that they're staring off into space has got to be the funniest part of a sox commercial ever.

Iwritecode
06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I think some of you are suffering from advanced symptoms of amnesia. I am still haunted by that ridiculous banjo background music Gallas used year after year after year. And who can forget the "generations" commercial with the old goat talking about the go-go Sox, followed by his mid-life crisis son waxing poetic about the winnin' ugly Sox, and finally -- the most obnoxious of them all -- the little girl chanting, "O-E-O! Magg-lio!"

I had blocked those memories out. :(:

Thanks PHG...

FielderJones
06-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, all of these ads are on the White Sox website if you haven't heard them all, thats where I heard most of them. It also has the majority of TV commercials as well.

Linky? I'm having some difficulty finding them.

Soxzilla
06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
They should just show the us vs. them commercials from last year.

Nothing more.

rmusacch
06-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Nothing like the voice of Red Foreman being the voice of the WhiteSox commercials.

Is Kurtwood Smith really the voice of the radio commercials?

SoxFan78
06-10-2005, 04:30 PM
The ones with Paulie & Shingo from last year, as well as the Loaiza, Buerhle and Garcia ones were classic.

They could of done so much with these commercials, but I have seen better commercials in my 5th grade video class.

White Sox Josh
06-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I love at the end of the commercial with Shingo and Tad where Shingo asks Tad "Who's that French Dude?".

SpammySosa
06-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Is Kurtwood Smith really the voice of the radio commercials?

Yes.

Two By Four
06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments...just finished writing and recording the next six commercials. WSI regulars will love them, in fact some of the lines in the :food" spot came from a WSI regular (sorry, I can't remember who that is). They will be posted on Whitesox.com soon, next week I think. Kurtwood was great and I got him to call me a dumbass and recorded it.

Rocklive99
06-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Agreed, I think I've seen just about all of them, a lot of people here were optimistic about the heaven like ones after seeing the Rowand one, and those are worse, it is a bit embarrasing. Just bad, lame, some don't even make sense, better off replaying the grinder rules

South Side
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
So far I've seen the ones w/ Rowand, Konerko (horrible), Shingo and Tadahito. Are there more coming? I have to say I'm not really impressed. I liked the one w/ Aaron but the others seem kind of weak. If there is already a thread on this, I apologize.

TomBradley72
06-10-2005, 07:30 PM
They are horrible. A waste of money. So many other ways to establish that the White Sox identity is "win or die trying"....

FielderJones
06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the compliments...just finished writing and recording the next six commercials. WSI regulars will love them, in fact some of the lines in the :food" spot came from a WSI regular (sorry, I can't remember who that is). They will be posted on Whitesox.com soon, next week I think. Kurtwood was great and I got him to call me a dumbass and recorded it.

What section of Whitesox.com are commercials posted in? The search engine there has let me down so far.

flo-B-flo
06-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I've seen the one with Rowand & the devil, and IT SUCKED. I hate those devil/angel ads. On the plus side, maybe they could get Careless Zambranus to play the devil. He would be perfect.:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Rowand commercial.:(:
It's the only one i've seen so far.

MIgrenade
06-11-2005, 12:37 PM
They are simply embarrassing. Nobody would want to come to the cell after watching those commercials. Cut those and let the record speak for itself.

Shorty1983
06-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Agreed, I just saw the two new commercials "win or die trying". The first commercial with Aaron was descent. The Pual Konerko commerical is just terrible, along with Iguchi and Takatsu dual commercial. I'm sorry Brooks but this was just a bad idea.