PDA

View Full Version : What Would A Lineup Change Do?

FGarcia34
06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
I know this team is absolutely rolling right now and we pounded out hits against Colorado...but it is just the Rockies. In so many games I've seen this year, it seems Paulie has seemed to come up just a bit short at times. I love Paulie and think he is going to pick it up but if he doesnt, and continues hitting at a low average, what should we do? I still think Paulie is gonna hit at least 35 Home Runs. Rowand has come around and is one of the best bats in the lineup and he is great in that 3 spot. The 1-2 spots are set in stone, but what about 4,5,6,7,8,9? Well, I would be very interested to see a few games with the lineup looking like this...

Pods
Iguchi
Rowand
Thomas/Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

I know the possibility of moving Konerko out of that 4 spot is very small, however if you look at how many clutch hits Everett has had so far this season and the fact that Thomas is just a clutch player to begin with, it might lighten the load on Paulie's shoulders and he might feel a little bit more relaxed in the 5 spot. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this.

VivaOzzie
06-10-2005, 06:49 PM
That lineup is soooo pretty. Rowand needs to be in the 3 spot.

As for Paulie in the 5 spot, thats good when Frank is 4. But when Crazy is playing, I say Paulie 4 and Crazy 5.

PAPChiSox729
06-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I know this team is absolutely rolling right now and we pounded out hits against Colorado...but it is just the Rockies. In so many games I've seen this year, it seems Paulie has seemed to come up just a bit short at times. I love Paulie and think he is going to pick it up but if he doesnt, and continues hitting at a low average, what should we do? I still think Paulie is gonna hit at least 35 Home Runs. Rowand has come around and is one of the best bats in the lineup and he is great in that 3 spot. The 1-2 spots are set in stone, but what about 4,5,6,7,8,9? Well, I would be very interested to see a few games with the lineup looking like this...

Pods
Iguchi
Rowand
Thomas/Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

I know the possibility of moving Konerko out of that 4 spot is very small, however if you look at how many clutch hits Everett has had so far this season and the fact that Thomas is just a clutch player to begin with, it might lighten the load on Paulie's shoulders and he might feel a little bit more relaxed in the 5 spot. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this.

Well I really don't see anyway where Frank bats lower than fourth. I don't know if Ozzie will keep Aaron at the no.3 but if he does, there is do doubt in my mind that Frank will bat fourth. I really don't see Konerko moving too much unless he goes into an ultra-slump. I think that the only lineup changes we will see for a while is seeing who starts in RF because Dye and Everett will split time pretty evenly.

delben91
06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I think that the only lineup changes we will see for a while is seeing who starts in RF because Dye and Everett will split time pretty evenly.

Although, if Dye continues to crush the ball and keeps his current hot streak up, you might be seeing Carl appear all over the outfield in an effort to give him at bats. Currently, all 3 outfielders are hitting well, Rowand and Dye better than Podsednik, but not grossly so. Seems to me Carl's starts in the outfield might be limited to perhaps 1 or 2 a week, with maybe another 1 or 2 at DH in place of Frank.

Keeps the hot hitters in the game, and keeps Carl sharp. Then again, that's just one man's take.

jhill36
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm for anything that doesn't put Crede in the cleanup spot.

SoxFan76
06-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm for anything that doesn't put Crede in the cleanup spot.

Why would they do that. He's a bottom of the order hitter.

Seems like another pointless Crede bashing post to me.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
LF- Podsednik
2B- Iguchi
DH- Thomas
1B- Konerko
CF- Rowand
RF- Dye
C- Pierzynski
3B- Crede
SS- Uribe

I still like having Frank in the number-three slot because of his high OBP. Konerko is a good fastball hitter, and he will see more than his share of those pitches with Thomas aboard. Rowand is the Sox best contact hitter, and so he needs to be in an RBI position, but I don't think he can handle cleanup at this point.

The remainder of the batting order is self-explanatory. Podsednik and Iguchi provide speed and OBP at the top of the lineup, so there is no reason to move them. The bottom of the order also speaks for itself.

VivaOzzie
06-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I like Rowand at #3 because

-he is one more guy with speed that can get more AB's to disrupt the opposing pitcher
-his contact will get him on base
-if not, his ability to hit to the right side will help move Pods and/or Iguchi over
-10-15 game hitting streaks seem to be his specialty, and nice to have from your #3
-he has proven that he can handle the #3 spot (and is our most capable, IMO)

balke
06-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Rowand still doesn't have many RBI for a #3 batter. I like him, and realize his bat has heated up... but things never seem to go his way when runners are in position to score. I'd rather see Carl or Frank there.

Chicago83
06-11-2005, 01:21 AM
I agree with moving Konerko down a spot or even two. Paulie has been killing us with his low average especially when he was batting third, so many RBI chances create by Pods/Iguchi were wasted by paulie. Now you can't argue with his HR's but he will still hit them down in the lineup and still get his RBI's.

The three hole is still a question for me. If Thomas is being Thomas then you got to put him in the 3 spot. He is no question the best hitter on the team, but Rowand has been doing so well it's hard to take him out of there. I don't see Rowand as a 4 hitter so maybe Rowand/Thomas/Konerko/Dye is not a bad idea, however with Dye hitting so well I wouldn't mind switching him with Paulie.

This offense has been looking really good lately and Thomas will only make it that much better. If we start hitting, well this just could be a great season.

ATXBMX
06-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Frank has to bat 3rd. If his contact doesn't get him on, then his batting eye can. The main reason he bats third is because if there's a 1-2-3 1st inning, Frank doesn't have to lead off the 2nd. Frank is no leadoff hitter. He's more apt to clog the bases batting 4th than 3rd.

WLL1855
06-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I like Rowand at #3 because

-he is one more guy with speed that can get more AB's to disrupt the opposing pitcher
-his contact will get him on base
-if not, his ability to hit to the right side will help move Pods and/or Iguchi over
-10-15 game hitting streaks seem to be his specialty, and nice to have from your #3
-he has proven that he can handle the #3 spot (and is our most capable, IMO)

You are entitled to your opinion about Aaron's capability to handle the demands of hitting in the third spot. Here's mine:

When Rowland raises his career OBP and SLG averages about 100 points, he can take over for Frank in the 3 hole. Aaron's a good player, but he's not Frank.

VivaOzzie
06-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Frank has to bat 3rd. If his contact doesn't get him on, then his batting eye can. The main reason he bats third is because if there's a 1-2-3 1st inning, Frank doesn't have to lead off the 2nd. Frank is no leadoff hitter. He's more apt to clog the bases batting 4th than 3rd.

Great point, I never thought of it that way. Im sold...Frank in the #3!

nedlug
06-11-2005, 09:00 PM

You think Konerko's a leadoff hitter, then?? 3rd spot is reserved for the best hitter on the team - he always hits in the 1st inning, and has men on base more than other hitters. Frank is the one that should be there.

ATXBMX
06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
You think Konerko's a leadoff hitter, then?? 3rd spot is reserved for the best hitter on the team - he always hits in the 1st inning, and has men on base more than other hitters. Frank is the one that should be there.

No, Konerko is not a leadoff hitter, but he will bat leadoff less often with Frank batting 3rd. When Frank bats third, the two guys in front of him and the two guys behind him get better pitches to hit. Pitchers will pitch around Frank more than Rowand. Frank knows how to draw a walk better than Rowand. If Podsednik and Iguchi get on, pitchers won't give Frank much to hit for two reasons, 1) to set up the double play, and 2) to avoid Frank's power. With the bases loaded, Konerko will see more pitches in the zone. 3 on with none out is better than 2 on with 1 out.