PDA

View Full Version : The playoff predictions of mediots...

gf2020
06-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I don't know how many of you have been watching ESuckPN the past few days, but they have been talking about the Yankees playoff chances. I know. I know. Big surprise. Anyway, I have been thinking about their analysis and it really has reached the heights of absurdity and desperation.

Harold Reynolds and Kruk think that the Twins will win the AL Central, the Red Sox will win the AL East and the Yankees will sneak into the playoffs as the Wild Card.

For this to happen:
-The Twins will overcome our 4.5 lead (possible)
-The Red Sox will overcome Baltimore's 3.5 lead (likely)
-The Yankees will play 11 games better than the White Sox (not to mention finishing better than the Rangers/Angels and Red Sox/Orioles.)

Let's say the wheels come off the bus, despite no evidence to the contrary, and the White Sox play 500 ball (52-51.) They would finish with 92 wins.

That means the Yankees would have to go 63-40 despite no evidence that they are even capable of sustaining .500 ball.

This is past the point of idiocy. It's like they are delusional or something. I know this thread might bring a "Who Cares?" but it's facinating to watch these people as they sacrifice the minuscule credibility they have left in order to prop up a team that has shown no heart or ability at the expense of a great story with a deep rotation that gets to beat up on the Royals 12 more times.

It should be noted that Gammonds just called the Twins and White Sox both making the playoffs on Sportscenter. It looked like he was fighting back tears as he acknowledged the AL East likely wouldn't send two teams.

JB98
06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I think Baltimore is going to win the AL East.

Yankees = too old
Red Sox = not enough pitching

The wild card will come from the AL Central. Sorry, ESPN.

SoxSpeed22
06-11-2005, 12:07 AM
That means the Yankees would have to go 63-40 despite no evidence that they are even capable of sustaining .500 ball.
They had another story on why the Yanks suck. I didn't know you can't catch the ball once you stop taking steroids.

PAPChiSox729
06-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Yankees = too old

I am starting to buy into the O's. At first, I thought they were just riding a hot streak, but after seeing them go this long, I don't think the Red Sox will catch up that easily. IMO, the Yankees are just too old and I love watching them suck! As for the WC, it most likely will come from the Central. The Twins and White Sox are that good.

Foulke You
06-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I am starting to buy into the O's. At first, I thought they were just riding a hot streak, but after seeing them go this long, I don't think the Red Sox will catch up that easily. IMO, the Yankees are just too old and I love watching them suck! As for the WC, it most likely will come from the Central. The Twins and White Sox are that good.
Agreed. I don't think the O's will fade like many people say. The Yanks have been awful this year and the Red Sox are continuing to show that they cannot win away from Fenway Park. I also know I was pretty impressed with the O's club after that 4 game split at Comiskey. After Javy Lopez went down with that injury, I thought the O's would start to fade a bit, but they still are hanging on to first place and I believe he is set to come back soon. They are getting great hitting and solid pitching and it wouldn't surprise me if they win the AL East this year.

Chicago83
06-12-2005, 01:07 PM
I gained a lot of respect for Buster Olney when he was the only guy with enough balls to say "no the Yankees will not make the playoffs." I'm sure he will be fired in the next few days.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
It's foolish to automatically dismiss any franchise that has the ability to immediately pick up another ten million in salaries at the trade deadline if they have to.

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-12-2005, 01:19 PM
It's foolish to automatically dismiss any franchise that has the ability to immediately pick up another ten million in salaries at the trade deadline if they have to.

LipGive it a rest, Lip. Your Skanks blow. :redneck

TheOldRoman
06-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Lip
Lip, if they had any money left they would have signed Carlos Beltran this offseason. CF was a huge need for them, and Beltran is as good as they come. Brian Cashman has to honestly be the worst GM in baseball. No, he doesnt give away great talent for nothing like the Pirates and Marlins did, but he has repeatedly signed horrible, over the hill players to ridiculous contracts. The Yankees dont have money to pick up another big salary, and they dont have the prospects either. They arent going to be good for a long time.

mjmcend
06-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Lip, if they had any money left they would have signed Carlos Beltran this offseason. CF was a huge need for them, and Beltran is as good as they come. Brian Cashman has to honestly be the worst GM in baseball. No, he doesnt give away great talent for nothing like the Pirates and Marlins did, but he has repeatedly signed horrible, over the hill players to ridiculous contracts. The Yankees dont have money to pick up another big salary, and they dont have the prospects either. They arent going to be good for a long time.

I heard on sports radio this week that Cashman only signed about half of the players the Yankees either traded for or signed as free agents in the last 5 years. The rest were initiated and wanted by King George.

Kogs35
06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
heard on the radio more to that story out of ny. cashman was negotiating with vlad and had the deal almost sealed when george told em to stop because im signing sheffield.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
The playoff picture will most likely look like this at season's end:

American League East
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

American League Central
Chicago White Sox
Minnesota Twins*
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals

American League West
Orange County Angels
Texas Rangers
Oakland Athletics
Seattle Mariners

*--Wild Card

Playoff Matchups
Chicago White Sox vs. Baltimore Orioles
Anaheim Angels vs. Minnesota Twins

RKMeibalane
06-12-2005, 05:43 PM
heard on the radio more to that story out of ny. cashman was negotiating with vlad and had the deal almost sealed when george told em to stop because im signing sheffield.

That's not surprising. There are rumors ciriculating that Steinbrenner is beginning to lose his mental faculties. Apparently, he's having difficulty concentrating during meetings, and frequently forgets conversations he's had with his advisors (Cashman, Torre, etc.). Sooner or later, he will be gone, and the Yankees will fall.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 06:55 PM
That's the rub as the Bard wrote. Regardless of what Cashman wants to do or how much money is left, George is the wild card...if he says spend...you spend. Period. End of discussion.

That's why I say don't bury them until the season is officially over. I don't like saying that, but that's the reality of things.

Lip

munchman33
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
That's the rub as the Bard wrote. Regardless of what Cashman wants to do or how much money is left, George is the wild card...if he says spend...you spend. Period. End of discussion.

That's why I say don't bury them until the season is officially over. I don't like saying that, but that's the reality of things.

Lip

Honestly Lip, I don't think an extra ten million will get them the extra 3 stud starters they need for a run to even be conceivable.

balke
06-12-2005, 09:42 PM

Yankees = too old

I'm thinking MAYBE the Red Sox can do it if Schilling comes back after the break and is healthy. I like the Orioles, but Bedard has to come back healthy for them for them to stay consistant I think.

PAPChiSox729
06-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Honestly Lip, I don't think an extra ten million will get them the extra 3 stud starters they need for a run to even be conceivable.

Yeah, the Yankees do have a pretty bad rotation. It will take a lot of money to get enough pitching to make a run, especially because I suspect that would have quite a deficit to overcome. Besides, they really don't have any tradeable players that hold much value.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Munch:

Remember salaries are PRO RATED. You pick guys up August 1st, you only pay for two months. Ten million could easily be enough, the question is will pitchers be available?

Lip

TheOldRoman
06-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Munch:

Remember salaries are PRO RATED. You pick guys up August 1st, you only pay for two months. Ten million could easily be enough, the question is will pitchers be available?

Lip
No, the question is "is their a GM out there who is dumb enough to trade a good pitcher who is in demand from several teams to the Yankees although they have horrible prospects?" Dont give me that crap about the Yankees eating the salary. If there is a young pitcher on a bad team like, say, Pittsburgh or Tampa, they are going to get traded for the best prospects. They wont get traded to a team that is willing to pick up their salary, because in most cases it wont be much at all.

If the Yankees did have money to throw around, which I think this offseason showed they dont, the only top players they would be able to get their barren farm system would be ones with MASSIVE salaries and long term deals like Todd Helton. Since their arent too many future hall of famers with giant long-term contracts on horrible teams, it will be slim pickings for the Yanks.

OEO Magglio
06-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Munch:

Lip
To answer your question Lip....no there won't be many starting pitchers available, not only that but the Yanks still have nothing to trade, they're in trouble. Neither them or Boston are very good this year, Baltimore should win that division imo.

TDog
06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
To answer your question Lip....no there won't be many starting pitchers available, not only that but the Yanks still have nothing to trade, they're in trouble. Neither them or Boston are very good this year, Baltimore should win that division imo.

In large part, the Yankees are in trouble because they are overpaying players based on success in the past that isn't being matched this year. That particularly applies to pitchers. Giving big contracts to relief pitchers is especially irresponsible.

The Yankees' financial irresponsibility seems to have caught up with them in 2005, and more financial irresponsibility won't make bail them out.

MIgrenade
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM

This is the key. It's not that the Yankees can't add payroll and all that, but no team wants what they are willing to give up. All their players are old and their minor leagues are thin. Unless they are willing to part with Cano they won't be able to get anything. For the sake of their franchise I would recomend selling and getting a lot of top minor league talent. I hope they are smart enough, because nobody will want these guys in the off season.

Mickster
06-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Lip

Who is dismissing the White Sox? :tongue:

miker
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Next time you listen to a baseball analyst from ESPN, remember what the first four letters of "analyst" are...

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Next time you listen to a baseball analyst from ESPN, remember what the first four letters of "analyst" are...

ZING.... :D:

doublem23
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM

Lip

This is ridiculous. They already have the #1 payroll in baseball and suck balls. Shoving more money into that nightmare's not going to fix anything.

Stick a fork in the '05 Yankees. They're done.

This year's Yankees are pretty much proof for everybody that it takes more than cash to win at baseball.

Flight #24
06-13-2005, 03:27 PM

Lip

Here's the problem - there aren't that many players who'll be available because of their salaries. Teams that will be "sellers" are Tampa, KC, Cinci, Houston, Rockies, Giants, Pirates. From that group, the only high salaried stud likely to be dumped is Helton (and he'll have a lot of suitors). The rest are guys who don't have ridiculous salaries, and therefore will command better talent in return thatn the Spankees can send over. And teams like Detroit, Arizona, Mets, Seattle aren't going to trade away good players because they just signed them and think they're not far from contending.

The only possible available guys would be Zito and Clemens. And IMO both will have enough suitors to make the Spankees prospects dealbreakers. Unless Rocket says he'll only go to NY, and why would he do that if they're still sucking. They'll have to turn it around BEFORE being able to get that deal done and nothing this year so far suggests that they can do that.

munchman33
06-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Munch:

Lip

This won't be the case for the Yankees, because the luxury tax will turn a small money pickup into a big salary.

Jurr
06-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Where's the thread where we picked the stat leaders and record for the Sox???

I want Mags back
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't know how many of you have been watching ESuckPN the past few days, but they have been talking about the Yankees playoff chances. I know. I know. Big surprise. Anyway, I have been thinking about their analysis and it really has reached the heights of absurdity and desperation.

Harold Reynolds and Kruk think that the Twins will win the AL Central, the Red Sox will win the AL East and the Yankees will sneak into the playoffs as the Wild Card.

For this to happen:
-The Twins will overcome our 4.5 lead (possible)
-The Red Sox will overcome Baltimore's 3.5 lead (likely)
-The Yankees will play 11 games better than the White Sox (not to mention finishing better than the Rangers/Angels and Red Sox/Orioles.)

Let's say the wheels come off the bus, despite no evidence to the contrary, and the White Sox play 500 ball (52-51.) They would finish with 92 wins.

This is past the point of idiocy. It's like they are delusional or something. I know this thread might bring a "Who Cares?" but it's facinating to watch these people as they sacrifice the minuscule credibility they have left in order to prop up a team that has shown no heart or ability at the expense of a great story with a deep rotation that gets to beat up on the Royals 12 more times.

It should be noted that Gammonds just called the Twins and White Sox both making the playoffs on Sportscenter. It looked like he was fighting back tears as he acknowledged the AL East likely wouldn't send two teams.
Super analysis job

Lip Man 1
06-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Gang:

I don't like 'defending' the Yanks but when I looked at the standings this morning they were only six games out with 100 to play.

Hell six games at this point in the season is nothing.

All I'm saying is don't count them out just yet, you may regret it come August.

Lip