PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Front Page

doublem23
11-15-2001, 12:56 AM
The link to the "Post of the Week" is spelled wrong (Lite)...

I was just wondering why? Is it some sort of White Sox nostalgia like the Soxogram or what?

Just a question. I'm just curious.

FarWestChicago
11-15-2001, 01:08 AM
It says "Post of the Week". What is spelled wrong?

doublem23
11-15-2001, 01:13 AM
On the front page, it says, "Lite this Candle"...

FarWestChicago
11-15-2001, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
On the front page, it says, "Lite this Candle"... Oh, that. That is how PHG chose to spell it. I know he likes Miller Lite. :)

doublem23
11-15-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Oh, that. That is how PHG chose to spell it. I know he likes Miller Lite. :)

That's what I figured. It's not a big deal at all, I just thought perhaps I had missed something, being as young as I am. I for one, did not understand the Soxogram until I read about it in the History of White Sox Interactive.

Thanks for your help, FWC.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-15-2001, 08:45 AM
Oh, that. That is how PHG chose to spell it. I know he likes Miller Lite.

Ding! Ding! Ding! West gets the credit for coming closest to the right answer. "Lite this candle!" is a commercial slogan. The sole purpose of the phonic spelling is to shorten the phrase and draw the reader's attention. It's worth noting that "lite" is one of the most frequently used commercial terms, for everything from AutoLite automotive parts, to Dura Lite logs, to Miller Lite beer. It has become so pervasive, Merriam Webster now recognizes it as a variation of "light."

White Sox Interactive follows in the fine tradition of Winston cigarettes ("Winston taste good, like a cigarrette should"), and the Lake Calumet junkyard that advertises "runnable" cars. Following the rules is not the point in commercial slogans or advertising. The true yardstick is being persuasive.

<cliche>I shall now step down from my soapbox.</cliche>

FarWestChicago
11-15-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Following the rules is not the point in commercial slogans or advertising. The true yardstick is being persuasive.
I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I suddenly find myself craving some fine Tropicana juice products, which just have to come from Safeway, the parent company of Dominick's.

Iwritecode
11-15-2001, 02:09 PM
I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I suddenly find myself craving some fine Tropicana juice products, which just have to come from Safeway, the parent company of Dominick's.

PHG has figured out how to get subliminal messages into his posts? Wow, I thought you could only do that with audio/visual stuff...