PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 1959 World Series

TheOldRoman
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
I just got my tape of the 1959 World Series in the mail today. Someone posted a link on this site a couple of weeks ago, and I bought one right away. It was incredible - the tape, not the outcome. I had never seen tape of Fox or Aparicio play until now. It was also great to see the old park and how it looked back in the day, pre paint job. It was beautiful. The Coliseum was a joke as a baseball stadium. It was 251 down the left field line, but there was a 42 foot chain link fence. There was also no batters eye at all. I see the gripe some of the Sox players had about hitting there.
My questions:
Was Big Klu's record of 10 RBIs in a series broken yet? (I assume it has)

Did anyone on this board go to any of those games? If so, what was the atmosphere? What was the city like at that time? How did people handle the loss?

How many members of the 59 team are still alive? I know Al Lopez is, but he is 96, and I dont know what condition he is in. Lip may have the answers for this one. Also, have the Sox indicated that they are bringing back any of the '59 players for the ceremonies before the games against the Dodgers next week? I think they should bring back every living member of that team. Also, when the reach the World Series this year, I want Aparicio and others on the bench in uniform like the Red Sox did last year. I thought that was a very classy move.

Baby Fisk
06-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Some more information about this tape, if you please? Linkys?

TheOldRoman
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Some more information about this tape, if you please? Linkys?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44883&highlight=1959+world+series+tape

Scroll down, it was combined with an old thread.

anewman35
06-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Also, have the Sox indicated that they are bringing back any of the '59 players for the ceremonies before the games against the Dodgers next week? I think they should bring back every living member of that team.

From http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050609&content_id=1082935&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws:

Ten players from the White Sox '59 roster are scheduled to participate in a pregame on-field ceremony on Saturday, June 18: Rudolfo "Rudy" Arias, Joe Hicks, Ron Jackson, Jim Landis, Jim McAnany, J.C. Martin, Billy Pierce, Claude Raymond, Jim Rivera and Bob Shaw. In addition, White Sox and Dodgers players will wear '59 replica uniforms and the center field video board will feature 1959 trivia and entertainment. To enhance the experience for TV viewers, WGN will incorporate throwback graphics and in-game features on 1959 team members into the game broadcast. White Sox broadcasters Ken Harrelson and Darrin Jackson also will wear the '59 replica Sox jerseys. Fans are invited to stay for a postgame fireworks display.

BigEdWalsh
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I think it'd be more cool if Hawk and DJ dressed like old-time announcers like Jack Brickhouse or Bob Elson.
I'm disappointed to not see Little Louie's name on that list. :(:

Lip Man 1
06-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Of those ten players only Rivera, Pierce, Landis and Shaw saw significant action throughout the season.

Klu 10 RBI's in a six game series was a record at the time, I don't know if it still is but I wouldn't think so with the 'expanded' steroid laced hitting.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Of those ten players only Rivera, Pierce, Landis and Shaw saw significant action throughout the season.

Klu 10 RBI's in a six game series was a record at the time, I don't know if it still is but I wouldn't think so with the 'expanded' steroid laced hitting.

Lip

McAnany got enough innings in that the McMillan encyclopedias listed him as the regular right fielder over Rivera.

I'll never forget Jackson. He was 6'6 or 6'7, I think, and couldn't hit a lick in several tryouts. His last gasp was '59. Pierce and Aparicio had the best careers of anybody left from that team. Shaw had a great rookie year in '59 and fell off the face of the earth after that. Landis and Rivera were okay-to-good players.

Pierce had some nagging injury problems that reduced his effectiveness in '59. He only had one really good year after his consecutive 20-game seasons, and that was with the '62 Giants, where his record was second only to Jack Sanford. Rivera's career was definitely on the downswing in '59.

I wish they'd pay Aparicio's airfare and get him here. I'm not sure of the state of his health, though. I seem to remember hearing a few years ago that he wasn't in the best of health.

TheOldRoman
06-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I wish they'd pay Aparicio's airfare and get him here. I'm not sure of the state of his health, though. I seem to remember hearing a few years ago that he wasn't in the best of health.
Im sure he isnt staying home over the cost of airfair. I dont know how these things work, but I would imagine the Sox would be eager to pay for him to fly in. I dont know how much it costs to fly to Chicago from Venezuela and back, but it would be nothing for a company that has am annual payroll of over $75mil. Im sure the Sox want him there; maybe he has prior obligations. Looie came back for the All Star game in 03, and hopefully he will be on the bench for the Sox in the World Series this year.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2005, 01:58 AM
I hope they make the '59 replica jerseys available for purchase, because I'll buy one for sure.

I got two copies of the tape, on for me and one for Czalgosz. I've watched mine, and enjoyed the nostalgia if not the outcome. I hadn't seen most of the games, because they were day games and I was in school. I probably should have taped them.

I can't believe that they couldn't come up with more than 40 minutes of footage, though. When I watched the tape, I would have killed for more.

pinwheels3530
06-11-2005, 02:17 AM
I hope they make the '59 replica jerseys available for purchase, because I'll buy one for sure.

I got two copies of the tape, on for me and one for Czalgosz. I've watched mine, and enjoyed the nostalgia if not the outcome. I hadn't seen most of the games, because they were day games and I was in school. I probably should have taped them.

I can't believe that they couldn't come up with more than 40 minutes of footage, though. When I watched the tape, I would have killed for more.

Everytime I stop at Grandstand I ask for a replica 59 jersey, but they have no knowledge of any being available. It would be really cool to pick one up to wear to the game next Saturday!

pinwheels3530
06-11-2005, 02:21 AM
If I buy one I can't decide between No.11 or No. 2, they both look really cool!!

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2005, 02:26 AM
If I buy one I can't decide between No.11 or No. 2, they both look really cool!!I have to think the Sox will be missing a big opportunity if they don't make those jerseys available.

No question mine will be a "2", although I certainly loved little Looie. I settled on Fox being my hero because I didn't have the arm to play shortstop:D:.

pinwheels3530
06-11-2005, 03:00 AM
I have to think the Sox will be missing a big opportunity if they don't make those jerseys available.

No question mine will be a "2", although I certainly loved little Looie. I settled on Fox being my hero because I didn't have the arm to play shortstop:D:.

I just might get the authentic jersey, I know it's going to cost me, but hey it's my own father's day gift!!:D:

Wsoxmike59
06-11-2005, 08:10 AM

There's a sports video company in Naperville called Rare Sports Films and they sell their 1959 World Series Film that has some bonus footage of the '59 world series on it. They sprinkle in some highlights of a couple of regular season Sox games too, one at home vs the Senators, and one on the road at Yankee Stadium. It also contains the '59 Dodger-Braves NL playoff in color!

They also have a video of the White Sox at Comiskey during the hey day of the Go-Go Sox era.

I don't have the number handy, but I'm on the guys mailing list and get some fliers sent to me periodically. But here is his website, you can probably find it here.

http://www.raresportsfilms.com/

gobears1987
06-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I think it'd be more cool if Hawk and DJ dressed like old-time announcers like Jack Brickhouse or Bob Elson.
I'm disappointed to not see Little Louie's name on that list. :(:
Same with Minnie Minoso. I actually saw him throw out the first pitch on Memorial Day. Why can't he make this one?

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Same with Minnie Minoso. I actually saw him throw out the first pitch on Memorial Day. Why can't he make this one?

Minnie was with Cleveland in '59.

mccoydp
06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
There's a sports video company in Naperville called Rare Sports Films and they sell their 1959 World Series Film that has some bonus footage of the '59 world series on it. They sprinkle in some highlights of a couple of regular season Sox games too, one at home vs the Senators, and one on the road at Yankee Stadium. It also contains the '59 Dodger-Braves NL playoff in color!

They also have a video of the White Sox at Comiskey during the hey day of the Go-Go Sox era.

I don't have the number handy, but I'm on the guys mailing list and get some fliers sent to me periodically. But here is his website, you can probably find it here.

http://www.raresportsfilms.com/

Thanks much for the link; I've been wanting to order this footage, and now I can! Thanks again.

owensmouth
06-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Same with Minnie Minoso. I actually saw him throw out the first pitch on Memorial Day. Why can't he make this one?He wasn't a member of the 1959 White Sox. He was playing for Cleveland

Paulwny
06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Was Big Klu's record of 10 RBIs in a series broken yet? (I assume it has)

I almost positive that, of all people, Bobby Richardson 2nd baseman yankees, broke the record in the 60's. I have no idea if his record is still standing.

Paulwny
06-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I almost positive that, of all people, Bobby Richardson 2nd baseman yankees, broke the record in the 60's. I have no idea if his record is still standing.

From the Baseball Library, Bobby Richardson:
He set WS records with 12 total RBI and 6 RBI in Game Three, though he had driven in only 26 runs during the regular season. In 1961, he tied records for a five-game Series with nine hits and 23 at-bats, for a .391 average. He dramatically ended the 1962 Series when he caught Willie McCovey (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/M/McCovey_Willie.stm)'s hard liner with two on and two out in the ninth inning of Game Seven to preserve the Yankees' 1-0 victory over San Francisco.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Hal:

According to Billy Pierce Luis is in good health. Remember a few weeks ago S.I. had a story on the unrest going on in Venezuela and how it was effecting star athletes. They had pictures of Aparicio who apparently is managing one of the Venezuelian pro teams.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Hal:

According to Billy Pierce Luis is in good health. Remember a few weeks ago S.I. had a story on the unrest going on in Venezuela and how it was effecting star athletes. They had pictures of Aparicio who apparently is managing one of the Venezuelian pro teams.

Lip

That's good to hear. If he's managing, that might be a reason he can't make it to Chicago.

cwsox
06-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I'll never forget Jackson. He was 6'6 or 6'7, I think, and couldn't hit a lick in several tryouts. His last gasp was '59.

He is my insurance agent, still very tall - and a lot of great Sox stuff in his office.

I have a buddy who still had his old Ron Jackson cards and Ron signed them all of course, a very nice man and a devout Sox fan.

Corlose 15
06-11-2005, 05:52 PM
When the Sox wear the 59 jerseys Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas should go sleeveless like Kluzewski did in the Series.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2005, 03:32 AM
When the Sox wear the 59 jerseys Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas should go sleeveless like Kluzewski did in the Series.Only Frank has the guns to pull it off.

cy4979
06-12-2005, 08:15 PM

You can buy a 59 jerseys at mitchellandness.com. I bought the Nellie Fox one last year.

BigEdWalsh
06-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Minnie was with Cleveland in '59.

I've always felt sorry for Minnie. He was with the Sox when Cleveland went to the Series in '54 and with Cleveland when the Sox went to the Series.

soxfanreggie
06-12-2005, 08:35 PM
cy, thanks for the info!