PDA

View Full Version : *Warning: Cubs News*

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 10:25 PM
(I'm sure Vic will love the section in bold!)

By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter
November 14, 2001 8:42 PM CST
Cubs President Andy MacPhail says cost-cutting initiatives announced Wednesday by Tribune Co. will have little, if any, impact on the team's payroll in 2002.

"We'll start pretty much at the same level we ended at last year," MacPhail said.

The Cubs' Opening Day payroll of $64.7 million grew to about $75 million at season's end because of the addition of Fred McGriff and David Weathers and the performance incentives paid to pitchers Julian Tavarez, Jason Bere and Tom Gordon. The payroll ranked about 12th among baseball's 30 teams.

Team officials have said they planned to make only minimal changes to last year's team, which won 88 games and finished five games out of first place in the National League Central.

So even before Wednesday's announcement, the Cubs were not geared to make a run at high-priced free agents such as Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi or Chan Ho Park.

"It really doesn't impact the payroll," MacPhail said. "The payroll will be based on revenues we project."

The Cubs' plans to renovate Wrigley Field after the 2002 season also will not be affected.

But the cost-cutting will have some impact on the Cubs and on MacPhail. The team plans to trim its scouting budget, possibly reducing trips to the Far East and Latin America.

"We understand what is fat and what is muscle," said MacPhail, who is among 140 Tribune Co. executives who will take a 5 percent pay cut in 2002.

"A good scout will make winter visits to a [potential draft pick] to talk to his parents or watch him play basketball. Is it essential to make that trip three times? We might now make it once."

MacPhail said he decided a few months ago to cancel the Cubs' instructional league and organizational meetings, which had been conducted annually at the team's minor-league complex in Mesa, Ariz.

MacPhail said the value of having an instructional league is "debatable" and that the team didn't need to coach first-round pick Mark Prior before spring training.

As for the organizational meetings, MacPhail canceled them mainly to save money. He said he doesn't want them to be treated as a paid vacation.

"There was a sense of entitlement there, and they're not critical on an every-year basis," he said. "We collected all the information we needed from our scouts and got everything else done by conference calls."

Tucker's return: Wednesday was the deadline for outfielder Michael Tucker to decline his two-year option to remain with the Cubs. The team didn't hear from him, so the Cubs assume Tucker, 29, will return for $2.25 million in 2002 and $2.75 million in 2003.

HootieMcBoob
11-14-2001, 10:28 PM
And I'm supposed to care about this because why?

doublem23
11-14-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

LOL! :)

My thoughts, exactly, Hootie!

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
LOL! :)

My thoughts, exactly, Hootie!

You don't have to care, I'm just posting news. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head making them click this message. Notice the warning.

Vsahajpal
11-14-2001, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the article JM.

It's nice to know that instead of Park, I'll get to look forward to Julian Tavarez delivering spinning heel kicks to JD Drew next year.

damn.

Oh, I hate Tucker.

on a side note, I just saw The French Connection for the first time in my life, good film.

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Thanks for the article JM.
Oh, I hate Tucker.

Not a problem. I thought you would be 'excitied' over hearing the news of Tucker's return.

moochpuppy
11-15-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

First off, thanks for the info JM.

Second, easy there Hootie. Don't think of it as news on the Cubs, think of it more like reading the comics section without the pictures.

duke of dorwood
11-15-2001, 08:28 AM
:shammy

Fat and muscle? Just refer to my number please.

Iguana775
11-15-2001, 08:29 AM
man, talk about cheap. lol. that is funny. they sell out most games but yet they cant afford to spend any on players. well, that is what i got from it.