PDA

View Full Version : What baseball Era would you choose?

StockdaleForVeep
06-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Just curious, if anyone could choose, what baseball era would you choose to had been able to grow up during, personally, i would choose the decade of 1914 to 1924-25, which i personally think is one of the best decades of baseball period. You got Babe Ruth emerging, white sox domination\world series win, ty cobb murderin the ball and etiquette. Baseball was simpler and there was more devotion by player and fan

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Just curious, if anyone could choose, what baseball era would you choose to had been able to grow up during, personally, i would choose the decade of 1914 to 1924-25, which i personally think is one of the best decades of baseball period. You got Babe Ruth emerging, white sox domination\world series win, ty cobb murderin the ball and etiquette. Baseball was simpler and there was more devotion by player and fan
i agree. i would have also like to see joe jackson play, whom babe ruth said he got his swing from

elrod
06-10-2005, 12:49 AM
I'll take the 1950s. At least the whole population was eligible to play then.

Banix12
06-10-2005, 01:19 AM
I still am personally a fan of 1980's style baseball, speed rules and the yankees sucked. Sure I lived through it but I was too young to really appreciate it.

Nellie_Fox
06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I did live it. Absolutely the 50's. Baseball was king, and all other pro sports were just something to fill time until baseball came back. The color line had been broken, and the best players were playing MLB, regardless. I got to see Mantle, Mays, Hammerin' Hank, Ted Williams, Little Looie and Nellie, all in or near their primes. Every kid I knew kept a baseball glove on the handlebars of their bicycles at all times, just in case a pickup game happened.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-10-2005, 05:22 AM
I would have liked to see the Sox play in the 1950's. At the same time, I was only 9 in 1977, and I wouldn't have minded being 10-12 years older in that year. From a purely historical standpoint, I would like to see how the game was played and enjoyed in the 1880's and 1890's.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I did live it. Absolutely the 50's. Baseball was king, and all other pro sports were just something to fill time until baseball came back. The color line had been broken, and the best players were playing MLB, regardless. I got to see Mantle, Mays, Hammerin' Hank, Ted Williams, Little Looie and Nellie, all in or near their primes. Every kid I knew kept a baseball glove on the handlebars of their bicycles at all times, just in case a pickup game happened.I have to agree. The 1950's was the golden age of baseball. The talent pool was expanded to include everybody, but expansion hadn't come along to dilute things yet. Those guys were great to see, even if some of them were in the twilight of their careers. The only downside would be that I'd be going back 50 years to see the Yankees winning every year.:(:

NonetheLoaiza
06-10-2005, 11:09 AM
I've gotta go with the 50's. What Nellie said is exactly what baseball should be, and I wish I could have been around to experience that.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 11:20 AM
How you answer this question is really contingent on how you interpret what is important.

If I think Sox domination is important, I pick the 1900-1906 and 1917-1920 eras. That's easy.

If I think baseball's preeminence is important, I pick 1920-1950. The sport was basically unchallenged for popularity.

If I think slow-footed home run baseball is important, I pick either the 1950's or the 1990's. Personally I think this sort of baseball sucks and I wouldn't pick either era even though the Sox had some limited success.

How to blend all three? Pick the 1980's. That was EXCITING baseball. The undisputed greatest leadoff hitters in the history of the game (Henderson, Raines, and Coleman) provided never-matched speed and basestealing, combined with pumped up power from both the pitchers (ala Clemens) and the hitters, too (ala Canseco).

Once steroids became dominant in the game and the owners started adding gimmicks to placate idiot fans, baseball of the 90's became a sham. We're only now learning just how big a sham it truly was.

Scammy, Barry and Big Mac as the sport's greatest heroes? Give me a ****ing break...

Baseball's version of Dr. Frankenstein:
:tool
"What this sport needs is wild cards, interleague games, amusement park stadiums, juiced balls, and juiced players! Oh! ... and the Brewers back in the National League!"

Baseball's version of Frankenstein's Monster ---> :nandrolone

spawn
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I'd have to choose before the color line was broken. And not to see the Major Leaguers. I would've wanted to see the Nego Leagues in it's heyday. Cool Papa Bell running the bases, Josh Gibson cranking homers, and others like Oscar Charleston, Satchell Paige, and Rube Foster. And then to watch the Negro Leaguers battling the Major Leaguers in the barnstorming games would've been something to behold. I would've loved to have seen how the negro league players stacked up against Baseball's 'best'.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
From 1951 through 1967 the Sox had a winning season every year. That wqorks fine for me...thank you.

I do have some memories of the 60's, including my first game in 1963 and would love to be able to go back and actually remember the stuff from that time period of Sox baseball.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 11:52 AM
From 1951 through 1967 the Sox had a winning season every year. That wqorks fine for me...thank you.

They were LOSERS, Lip. Second-place is nothing but first LOSERS. Even in 1959 the Sox only sneaked past the Yankees caught in a down year.
:?:

The Go-Go Sox could have won several championships with just one POWER HITTER. They never filled the hole and now 50 years on we're still dealing with the fallout from outrageous delusions of grandeur created from finishing SECOND to the Bronx Bombers over and over and over again.

:kukoo:

Here's my "Golden Era" for Sox Fans bent on choosing success: The NEXT Sox world championship, our first since the deadball era. That will be truly golden.

misty60481
06-10-2005, 12:57 PM
the era from end of WWII until expansion was great--got to see some of pre-war stars--DiMag,Greenberg,Appling,--even though some were over the hill.. Then the young stars started taking over--Mantle,Mays,Aaron, I was lucky enough to get to see all of them---

Paulwny
06-10-2005, 12:57 PM
They were LOSERS, Lip. Second-place is nothing but first LOSERS. Even in 1959 the Sox only sneaked past the Yankees caught in a down year.
:?:

The Go-Go Sox could have won several championships with just one POWER HITTER. They never filled the hole and now 50 years on we're still dealing with the fallout from outrageous delusions of grandeur created from finishing SECOND to the Bronx Bombers over and over and over again.

:kukoo:

Here's my "Golden Era" for Sox Fans bent on choosing success: The NEXT Sox world championship, our first since the deadball era. That will be truly golden.

I have to agree, the 59 team was lucky. I believe the yanks had players playing hurt and on and off the dl all season.
Even so, I'd like to see a replay of that entire season or as you, seeing a WS champ. :D:

1951Campbell
06-10-2005, 01:09 PM
How to blend all three? Pick the 1980's. That was EXCITING baseball. The undisputed greatest leadoff hitters in the history of the game (Henderson, Raines, and Coleman) provided never-matched speed and basestealing, combined with pumped up power from both the pitchers (ala Clemens) and the hitters, too (ala Canseco).

Also, in the 80's, small market teams were often quite good, like the '82 Brewers or the Royals.

DarkCloudDropo
06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I'll go with the 50's crowd.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I interpreted the question as pertaining to baseball in general and not just the Sox. But if we're talking about White Sox baseball, I can't say I've ever enjoyed a season more than this one (so far).

kojak
06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I hate to be too obvious, but the decade 2005-2015 had to be the absolute best! For many reasons beyond these:

*By far the best Sox era ever with 4 championships in 6 world series appearances (and the THREEPEAT)!
*Sweeping the Cubs in the 2006 WS- Priceless!
*Yankees sucked. Especially when Citigroup bought them after Steinbrenner died
*Just watching Mark Buehrle become the next Roger Clemens was awesome. And all 300 wins were with the White Sox, of Coors!
*Also seeing Neal Cotts become the all-time MLB saves king. I don't think any will ever top his 70 saves record!
*Big Frank's 520 HR's and first ballot HOF'er
*Beating the Twins in back-to-back ALCS. They were never the same and then moved to Charlotte- how ironic!
*and last but not least: The 2007 season when we won 120 games, swept the postseason and had four 20-game winners in Buehrle, Garcia, McCarthy & Garland (Prior had another 18 wins); Podsednik's 61-game hitting streak;
Iguchi's errorless season; McCarthy's back-to-back perfect games; Konerko's 5-HR game against the Cubs;

...the list just goes on and on...

ondafarm
06-10-2005, 03:03 PM
If I had to pick one year I would have loved to have seen it would have been 1946. My grandfather always said Appling seemed to have a lot of pent up frustration from missing time due to the war. Several other players (Ted Williams comes to mind) must have felt the same way. That's the year all of the players came back from the war, baseball was still king, no expansion and the negro leagues provided Chicago with a third major league team.

There is nothing like watching desperate men struggle with their frustrations and achieve greatness. Plus throw in the extra drama of those wartime players all struggling desperately to hold onto their jobs.

True grit.

Then again as a Sox fan, there's been nothing like this year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I hate to be too obvious, but the decade 2005-2015 had to be the absolute best! For many reasons beyond these:

*By far the best Sox era ever with 4 championships in 6 world series appearances (and the THREEPEAT)!
*Just watching Mark Buehrle become the next Roger Clemens was awesome. And all 300 wins were with the White Sox, of Coors!
*Also seeing Neal Cotts become the all-time MLB saves king. I don't think any will ever top his 70 saves record!
*Beating the Twins in back-to-back ALCS. They were never the same and then moved to Charlotte- how ironic!
*and last but not least: The 2007 season when we won 120 games, swept the postseason and had four 20-game winners in Buehrle, Garcia, McCarthy & Garland (Prior had another 18 wins); Podsednik's 61-game hitting streak;
Iguchi's errorless season; McCarthy's back-to-back perfect games; Konerko's 5-HR game against the Cubs;

:thud::thumbsup::cheers:

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 03:35 PM

i love how thats not in pink...:D:

Chris N
06-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Also in support of the 80's: Between '80 and '89, 21 of the 26 teams played for the chance to be in the World Series, leading to 9 different WS champions. If you add a year (either '79 or '90), then it was 23 of 26 teams in a league championship series over 11 years. On the downside, many of those teams were wearing pajamas for uniforms and playing on astroturf.

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I'd go back to 1998, when Big Mac and Sammy saved baseball.

chisoxfan64
06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd go back to 1998, when Big Mac and Sammy saved baseball.

Bazebawl bin belly belly good to Sammy.

The Racehorse
06-10-2005, 05:21 PM
The era I'd most like to go back to & see would be 1910 thru 1920, just so I could kick Chick Gandel's ass. And Swede, I coming for you too. :mad:

On the baseball side, as much as I appreciate baseball's wonderful history... there's no time like the present...
... and I predicted a 101 win season. These days are mucho good! :bandance:

Hendu
06-10-2005, 06:52 PM
As a Sox fan, I'd have to say the early 1900's. But in general, I think anything pre-70s where people got dressed up to go to the game. I'd love to see the bleachers full of people clad in suits and nice dresses chanting "Torii sucks!"

Usually I go to games after work and though I don't have to wear a suit or even a tie (business casual) I still look out of place at the Cell, with the exception of my Sox hat of course. I've thought about bringing more comfortable clothes to work and changing before the game, but I like keeping the tradition of wearing fairly nice clothes to the ball game.

Wsoxmike59
06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
the era from end of WWII until expansion was great--got to see some of pre-war stars--DiMag,Greenberg,Appling,--even though some were over the hill.. Then the young stars started taking over--Mantle,Mays,Aaron, I was lucky enough to get to see all of them---

That's the era I would pick too. All the best players got back from the war and the two leagues had only 8 teams apiece. Holy Cow the competition must've been fierce in those days.

It must've been great to see the Go-Go Sox, the Milwaukee Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers, and NY Yankees during the late 40's to late 50's.

Definitely my favorite era to read up on when I get a baseball book.

To get a feel for that era, I'd highly recommend the Peter Golenbock book "BUMS" about the Brooklyn Dodgers. It's one of my favorite baseball books of all time.

soxwon
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I grew up in the 60's- that was baseball at its finest.

Koufax-Jenkins-Gibson-Lolich-Mcdowell- tommy john-ford.
plus the hitter- killebrew-kaline-robinson
those guys blow away any player today.
and they were Roid free.

ah take me back!!!

batmanZoSo
06-10-2005, 10:17 PM
I did live it. Absolutely the 50's. Baseball was king, and all other pro sports were just something to fill time until baseball came back. The color line had been broken, and the best players were playing MLB, regardless. I got to see Mantle, Mays, Hammerin' Hank, Ted Williams, Little Looie and Nellie, all in or near their primes. Every kid I knew kept a baseball glove on the handlebars of their bicycles at all times, just in case a pickup game happened.

I was the only one who ever wanted to play baseball when I was a kid. Bunch of friggin' deadbeats, my generation. Nah, let's go to the pool instead! :cool:

I would've chosen the 50s, too. My dad describes his childhood much like you did. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Sox win a World Series, so the teens would've been nice, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I grew up in the 60's- that was baseball at its finest.

Koufax-Jenkins-Gibson-Lolich-Mcdowell- tommy john-ford.
plus the hitter- killebrew-kaline-robinson
those guys blow away any player today.
and they were Roid free.

ah take me back!!!

Wow, I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to finally vote for the 60's. You would think there would be more appreciation for all the "pitching and defense" of the 1960's from a bunch of nostalgic Sox Fans.

If the Sox had Killebrew, Kaline, or FRobinson, we win at least 2 world championships... not that offense is important for the eight guys standing around picking their ass with their non-glove hand for half the game.

:cool:

Southsider101
06-11-2005, 02:52 PM
1946 - 1960: No expansion, no Jim Crow baseball, eight teams per league, no play offs, and the World Series stated two days after the regular season ended.

PaulDrake
06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
1946 - 1960: No expansion, no Jim Crow baseball, eight teams per league, no play offs, and the World Series stated two days after the regular season ended. My sentiments exactly.

hose
06-11-2005, 08:49 PM
1901-1920 as a Sox fan.

I'll take the 1940's as a baseball fan.
Night games, tv, color barrier broken, one arm player, Joe D's 56 game streak, Ted Williams hits .406, Mickey Owen's pass ball, Connie Mack wearing a suit , Pete Reiser running into walls at Ebbets Field, Enos Slaughter's hauling ass from first to home, 1943 The Pride of the Yankees with Gary Cooper, a 42 year old rookie Satchel Paige made his ML debut, players travel by train with St.Louis being the end of the line, baseball was the undisputed king.

Jerome
06-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I wish we could have the steroid era back. Obviously i don't like the fact the the game relied so heavily on things that were (ahem...illegal at the time) but i think that if teams could build an offense with balance and power, like we were tempted and teased with temporarily from 2001 - 2004, that would be fun to watch.

However, what i really like is a mix. I like on some days watching a great 2-1 pitchers duel. I like seeing the small-ball Marlins compete with the big ball teams in 2003. And of course i love 10-8 offensive showcases.

And as Mark McGuire said on the Simpons...

"Would you rather hear the horrifying truth, or do you want me to smash some dingers?"

"DINGERS! DINGERS! DINGERS!"

StockdaleForVeep
06-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Im surprised many people who picked their era's listed desegregation as one of the main reasons.

I wonder if i'd prefer it segregated as one poster said before, it would be really something to see the Negro leagues in their prime.