PDA

View Full Version : Great Website

tony1972
06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
So I finally entered the 21st Century (actually 1990's and am now online in my house !!)

A buddy sent me this website about a month ago...(I thought the photo gallery was awesome and this is the best White Sox message board on the Web!)

I have been a Die Hard Sox Fan since 1990 (I went to UIC from 1990 to 1994 and fell in love with the 1990 team that won 94 games - unfortunately this was before the wildcard and Oakland won 104 that year)...my whole tenure at UIC was getting out of class and catching a Sox game)..

The 1994 Strike hit me pretty hard as well as 1997 (94 broke my heart)........I have to admit I only attended a few games from 1995 to 1999 (my about 8 total) but I came back after the 2000 team and have followed the White Sox like I did pre-strike days...

I notice that the fans have been coming back the last two years and that interest is high...We have a great team this year and I think the park looks awesome - I have been to many stadiums and ours is now one of the best.

I am married and have one son who is 5 and I thought Southpaw and Fundamentals is a great for the kids - It is good at how the White Sox are working to capture a new generation of fans. Look at Wrigley - you almost never see kids or teenagers but I see a lot at the Cell. That is a good sign.

I think this team has what it takes. We may not win the division..but we will definitely get the WildCard. If we go .500 the rest of the way we have 92 wins. How many teams can say they have 5 !! Solid Starters? That is awesome.

Well I wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for this website !!

Go White Sox !!

Tony

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Sounds about right. You'll fit in nicely. Welcome aboard. :cool:

JRIG
06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
:welcome:

We're glad you're here. :party:

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
:welcome: Tony.....yes this the premier White Sox website! You're among DIEHARDS!

Btw, I also attended UIC during those years...maybe we knew each other! :tongue:

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, welcome aboard! :D:

You've just entered the best White Sox site on the net. Soon enough you'll be addicted. :gulp:

tony1972
06-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Remember the walkways from Lecture Hall to Lecture Hall ? That was a lot of fun in the spring when the foot of snow was melting from the walkways and you had to duck about fifteen waterfalls to go from class to class :D:

I was in the College of Liberal Arts 1990 to 1991 (wanted to be a science teacher) but switched to College of Business in fall of 1991 (terrible early 1990's economy scared me.......chickened out and played it safe with accounting , wanted the job with insurance and house in the burbs..ironically living back in Chicago by Midway)..

Went back to UIC about a month ago to use Library and felt old...:(: The students looked as if they just left Junior High...

Our company is going to the game next Monday against the Diamondbacks..there are 82 of us..we will be in Section 162 (and some Cubs Fans are going too and one lady who lives in Evanston asked "is it safe going back to the shuttle after dark? - " she thinks south of Madison we face gunshots and there are drug pushers on every corner...

I hope the White Sox win...I honestly hate to go to the game when some Cub Fans are there because when they cheer for the other team I want to sock them in the face :angry: ....I guess that IS some of the Southside Guy in me...

mccoydp
06-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Welcome as well...I didn't start watching baseball until August 1990, and, ironically, it was the Sox I started watching with about two months left in the season.
I went to IIT on the south side from 92-93, but went to UIC twice a week for ROTC...it was fun!

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah Tony...walking in the winter sucked on that campus. There were some really windy areas (University Hall and the Engineering building). I go back every so often and it really has changed a lot. Less concrete and more shrubbery! :D:

I do miss the overhead concrete walkway though.

Hey, I blew off class early more than once to take in a Sox game...oh the memories.....

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I went to IIT on the south side from 92-93, but went to UIC twice a week for ROTC...it was fun!

Oh so that was YOU GUYS...you always looked like you were having a blast out there! :D:

tony1972
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
The 1990 Team was my favorite..it was the last year of the Old Comiskey and the Sox started off hot....and it was about June when the fans started to pack the place. That summer was incredible and the energy at each game was unbelivable. When the Sox would win people would hang around and dance in the aisles.

We held into a tie for first until about mid August and then Oakland pulled ahead but we still had the second best record in baseball. Remember - in '89 we lost 95 games. Then the new park opened and the Sox were a good team until the strike. Those were the days when the White Sox dominated the headlines. The early 90's were a great period to be a Sox Fan and although they only made the playoffs once..there are a lot of memories I have from that time.

I know there will be more memories to come this year and the next few years (keep my fingers crossed)...

:gulp:

mike squires
06-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Tony, we talke abuot the 90 team a lot here...along with the 83 team. That 90 team was special. Young guys like Black Jack Big Frank, Alex and Robin along with scrappy veterens like Scott Fletcher and Ozzie. I've got the last night and day game on tape and there's some cool videos (one shining moment) with some good footage. I've probably brought this up 4 or 5 times on this sight and just recently...but do you remember that homerun Lee Stevens hit off of Thiggy? Lance just stood hung there on the wall. I think we all knew it was over before that but it broke our hearts. I went to the Cubs/Sox reunion game and saw a bunch of those guys including Karko, Thiggy and BlackJack including Luzinski. Snagged some autographs as well. I love knew people like you that keep the memories coming. A lot of guys don't stick around for some reason. I hope you'll be a regular!

tony1972
06-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Although the Sox were good - I remember the Athletics were just too D-- Good...

Yeah - it was hard we didn't win the division that year but it was still a special year...That was the real "The Kids Could Play" ...

I know this sounds bad..there are worse things..but why is it so hard this year when they lose? I really get depressed and feel I shouldn't because it is a game....Doesn't the losses seem worse this year? (Maybe were not used to it)..

mccoydp
06-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh so that was YOU GUYS...you always looked like you were having a blast out there! :D:

Sorry, forgot to teal the fun part.

Partying at IIT with its 10% female population was the real blast!

tony1972
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
That is a party school !!:D:

mccoydp
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
That is a party school !!:D:

It has to be better now, right? I mean, we partied when I was there, but it was mostly a lot of binge drinking...we went to DePaul or even road-tripped it over to Western Michigan U to really have fun. WMU had a better ratio, too.

200 posts...300 more until I get a much-needed personality!:D:

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Yep...This IS the best Sox site you'll ever come across. These fans here are true die-hards, and it's great to be able to discuss about the REAL baseball team in the city!

Welcome, and hope you stay!

Ron Karkovice
06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Yep...This IS the best Sox site you'll ever come across. These fans here are true die-hards, and it's great to be able to discuss about the REAL baseball team in the city!

Welcome, and hope you stay!

I agree. I used to post on the chisox.com message boards and this is at least 33 times better.

Baby Fisk
06-10-2005, 07:41 AM
The 1994 Strike hit me pretty hard as well as 1997 (94 broke my heart)........I have to admit I only attended a few games from 1995 to 1999 (my about 8 total) but I came back after the 2000 team and have followed the White Sox like I did pre-strike days...

Once again, the sign of a true diehard Sox fan is the fact that he can't get through his first post without listing things about the Sox that he's bitter about. That is perverse and awesome.

Welcome aboard! :cheers: