PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy getting shelled

CaptUSN
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
His stats don't look like a guy ready to pitch in the majors. His performance since getting hammered by Texas looks like he took the hammering back to the minors.:?:

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 08:51 PM
His stats don't look like a guy ready to pitch in the majors. His performance since getting hammered by Texas looks like he took the hammering back to the minors.:?:This is a kid who was pitching in A-ball this time last year. He had a good spring and everyone got giddy. He's still going to be a good one...just not this soon.

The Tom
06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about McCarthy too much. He's a 21-year-old pitcher, he's very young for AAA. Before his amazing spring he was slated to be back at Birmingham, so he is still adjusting to what is a very big jump. Plus, he's a young, fastball pitcher in a small park, bad combination. He's going to take his lumps while he learns how to pitch. But he'll be okay if he keeps his confidence. He's already proven that he has what it takes, now it's a matter of waiting for him to mature.

mccoydp
06-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I think he'll be ok, as long as he doesn't take any MLB shellackings this year as a substitute and get his spirit broken...he has good stuff.

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 11:26 PM
He's still going to be a good one...just not this soon.
ugh...but i cant wait til hes in his mid-twenties to succeed

ondafarm
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
As one progresses up the minors, the hitters get better and better and your stuff seldom does. You have to learn about how to get people out and acquire another pitch or two. Maybe learn to turn something over or perfect a pitch you've already got.

McCarthy was in A ball this time last year, facing mostly recent high school graduates. He's now facing baseball professionals and future major leaguers. He'll be fine, but he needs to get some work in. Several minor league organizations have a standing rule that pitchers should get 500 minor league innings in before they are ready to start in the majors; that's three solid years as a starter. If McCarthy is ready next year he'd be way early.

FloridaSox
06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
McCarthy has good stuff and great control, perhaps too great. Once he learns to work to the black stripe around the plate and stay away from center he will be a genuine Major league starter. With all 5 starters under contract or reserved for next year, the question is whether McCarthy will stay in the minors too long..which can also be a problem.

The too long in the minors might be a problem for Brian Anderson. All three OF starters are under control for next year and scouts are saying Anderson is ready to play in the majors right now.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 12:02 PM
McCarthy has good stuff and great control, perhaps too great. Once he learns to work to the black stripe around the plate and stay away from center he will be a genuine Major league starter. With all 5 starters under contract or reserved for next year, the question is whether McCarthy will stay in the minors too long..which can also be a problem.

The too long in the minors might be a problem for Brian Anderson. All three OF starters are under control for next year and scouts are saying Anderson is ready to play in the majors right now.Sucks to have so many good young players, doesn't it?:redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 12:46 PM
It was less than a month ago there were several posters SERIOUSLY SUGGESTING the Sox ought to institute a 6-man rotation just to accommodate McCarthy.
:kukoo:

There were several others who were positively giddy about the prospect of one of our starters getting hurt just so McCarthy could get promoted into the rotation.
:kukoo: :kukoo:

Some real ****ing idiots...

:o:

Cubbiesuck13
06-10-2005, 01:52 PM
He has "Woods-like hype" for sure. I will admit to being one of the many who thought he would do ok in the bigs this year. After seeing him shut down a very good Norfolk Tides lineup (0 ER on 5 hits in 8 IP) I was all about seeing how well he could do against a big league lineup. However, I wasn't one of the ones asking for an injury or a 6 man rotation. I still can't wait to see him pitch for the SOX but I hope it isn't untill the year after next.

diamondkings29
06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I actually had a few minutes to speak with Brandon in Indy and he indicated that there were several trade discussions in which he was named. Hard to believe they would let him go when the have El'Old Man in the rotation who is standing in line for his AARP card when Brandon is available. He said he was a possible trade for Helton and Chavez.

But he has been getting hit hard his last few starts, however he is getting his innings in and will move along.

I also spoke with Adkins and he had his normal outing, but he was lighting the gun up at 95/96 into late innings with good movement.

Baj was doing normal Baj work.....Scoreless innings and power relief...but rumor is he is not next to be called up if a bullpen guy goes down. It would be Adkins/Diaz/Walker/Fields according to the Knights people.

charlotteknights
06-10-2005, 06:43 PM
:(: White Sox are trying to make a deal with Japan for Stewart and Cassanova. Williams was offered $250,000 for Stewart but supposedly turned it down, wanting $500,000. Cassanova was part of that deal too. Mac has no friends in the Charlotte clubhouse to speak of.They say that he still thinks he's in Chicago. Guess that doesn't go over too well with the other players. According to some of the Knights, B.A. is the real deal. They speak highly of him but not McCarthy. He supposedly whines about everything, especially having to work out with the weights. Sounds like a Rauch Jr.:(:

gosox41
06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
:(: White Sox are trying to make a deal with Japan for Stewart and Cassanova. Williams was offered $250,000 for Stewart but supposedly turned it down, wanting $500,000. Cassanova was part of that deal too. Mac has no friends in the Charlotte clubhouse to speak of.They say that he still thinks he's in Chicago. Guess that doesn't go over too well with the other players. According to some of the Knights, B.A. is the real deal. They speak highly of him but not McCarthy. He supposedly whines about everything, especially having to work out with the weights. Sounds like a Rauch Jr.:(:

I'm surprised by this.

Bob

gobears1987
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Remember one thing before you go by minor league stats; CHARLOTTE IS A HITTER"S PARK!!!!

White Sox Josh
06-11-2005, 01:48 PM
I know this has been mentioned before but if you put Johan Santana in that park he would have an ERA over 4. I can hit one out of there.

CaptUSN
06-11-2005, 08:24 PM
So it is not the Knight's band box that is doing him in....

ShoelessJoeS
06-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I know this has been mentioned before but if you put Randy Johnson in that park he would have an ERA over 4. I can hit one out of there.
randy already has an era over 4 and he pitches in yankee stadium, one of the parks with the biggest outfield gaps, like 399 or somethin like that

TaylorStSox
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Remember one thing before you go by minor league stats; CHARLOTTE IS A HITTER"S PARK!!!!

Just like most of the parks in the MLB, including our own.

CleeFan101
06-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah but Charlotte is a bigger hitters park than anything in the majors....

knocko94
06-12-2005, 03:49 AM
IIRC The power alleys at Charlotte are something in the 340 range, which is a joke with proffesional hitters

soxwon
06-12-2005, 03:06 PM
His stats don't look like a guy ready to pitch in the majors. His performance since getting hammered by Texas looks like he took the hammering back to the minors.:?:

can you say CHAVEZ?

gobears1987
06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Before anyone condemns him for getting killed by Texas, you have to realize GARLAND got hammered harder by the same team.

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 04:29 PM
IIRC The power alleys at Charlotte are something in the 340 range, which is a joke with proffesional hittersPut Barry Bonds in that place and he hits at least 100 Home Runs. That's without steroids to.

ondafarm
06-12-2005, 05:52 PM
IIRC The power alleys at Charlotte are something in the 340 range, which is a joke with proffesional hitters

it does have the double height wall, which at least knock down a few.

BRDSR
06-12-2005, 08:45 PM

Thats true, but I use his start at Wrigley as a big measuring stick of his potential. Even in a relatively good outing numbers-wise, he pitched 5.2(?) innings and got exactly one ground ball out out of 17. Not only that, the one groundball out was a bunt back to the pitcher. That type of pitching does not translate into success at the major league level, and surprise surprise, he gives up 4 home runs to a solid offensive team like Texas. For BMac to have success in the majors he not only has to work on his stuff and build some body mass, he also has to learn how to pitch effectively. I wouldn't cry about trading him right now, as I believe his stock may be higher at this point than it ever will be in the future. If we don't trade him, I look forward to seeing if he will mature into the type of pitcher that I'd love to see him be.

Randar68
06-12-2005, 11:20 PM
it does have the double height wall, which at least knock down a few.

Only by first glance. There is a 6-10 foot gap between the actual top of the wall and the advertisement boards that sit behind them, and HR's hitting the raised Ad boards or going between the wall are HR's. The Actual wall height is maybe a couple feet taller than USCF's...