PDA

View Full Version : More WS rcognition

FanofBill
06-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Sox know it's still a race to the end
Hot play must continue to hold off second-place Twins
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050609&content_id=1082980&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SAN DIEGO -- A world-famous Chicago-based newspaper columnist once made the following observation concerning the plight of Cubs fans.

An optimist looks at a glass and sees it as half full. A pessimist sees the glass as half empty. A Cubs fan looks at this same glass and asks, 'When is it going to spill?'

Baseball hardship certainly hasn't been limited to the North Side of town. While the Cubs have not captured a World Series title since 1908, the White Sox are close behind, with their last championship coming in 1917.

That's 183 seasons of combined futility, if people are scoring at home. But something clearly is happening with Ozzie Guillen's charges in 2005 that ultimately could transform tears of frustration and heartbreak to hundreds of thousands of fans celebrating in Grant Park. The White Sox's pitching has been better than expected, and the expectations were pretty high going in, and their switch from power to speed has produced immediate dividends. Sure, the season is only 59 games old, and even with the White Sox's great start, the Minnesota Twins sit just four games behind in pursuit of their fourth straight American League Central title.

downstairs
06-09-2005, 07:50 PM
That's 183 seasons of combined futility, if people are scoring at home.

I've always found this facinating. I don't know the exact math, because of expansion over the past 90+ years.... but just going off today's team count. Statistically, if the WS winner was a coin flip, a team should expect to win it at least once every 30 years. Over these specific 90+ years, probably comes out to alot less... maybe 1 in 20 or so?

Both Chicago teams, when you combine them, should get one every 10-15 years. So we're talking 10x to 15x the statistical probability.

Now, THAT'S futility.

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I've always found this facinating. I don't know the exact math, because of expansion over the past 90+ years.... but just going off today's team count. Statistically, if the WS winner was a coin flip, a team should expect to win it at least once every 30 years. Over these specific 90+ years, probably comes out to alot less... maybe 1 in 20 or so?

Both Chicago teams, when you combine them, should get one every 10-15 years. So we're talking 10x to 15x the statistical probability.

For real, dog. I mean what the crap? You almost have to try to be this bad. Sooner or later we've got to catch up with the odds and win one. Maybe this is the year.

BRDSR
06-10-2005, 12:09 AM
For real, dog. I mean what the crap? You almost have to try to be this bad. Sooner or later we've got to catch up with the odds and win one. Maybe this is the year.

That would just be the beginning of catching up with the odds. A Chicago team would have to win the Series 12 years in a row before we could start to consider it catching up with the odds.

gosox3072
06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
A Chicago team would have to win the Series 12 years in a row before we could start to consider it catching up with the odds.

Dynasty anyone?:D:

The Wall
06-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Dynasty anyone?:D:

By the same odds, that dynasty would be almost impossible to have. Crankees have obviously outdone the mathematical odds mentioned by downstairs. They have some of our hardware stolen n stashed away :D

Imagine wat crankees owner wud do if White Sox won twice in a row...he'd most probably buy the Sox from Reinsdorf!