PDA

View Full Version : Idiotic Comments About Shingo on Tribune Live

DickAllen72
06-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Dan Jiggets (whom I like) and guests talking about the Sox game last night brought up Shingo. Jiggets joked that Shingo was throwing about 10MPH. One of the panelists responded that he just isn't fooling anybody anymore. Then someone commented that it was like T-Ball with Shingo pitching last night.

Although he did give up a home run,he struck out the side. I doubt Major League hitters would strike out in T Ball. It seems Shingo fooled somebody---three hitters and a few "journalists".

gobears1987
06-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Dan Jiggets (whom I like) and guests talking about the Sox game last night brought up Shingo. Jiggets joked that Shingo was throwing about 10MPH. One of the panelists responded that he just isn't fooling anybody anymore. Then someone commented that it was like T-Ball with Shingo pitching last night.

Although he did give up a home run,he struck out the side. I doubt Major League hitters would strike out in T Ball. It seems Shingo fooled somebody---three hitters and a few "journalists".

I don't know if it's so idiotic. Shingo is struggling. THere is no argument there. They said that Shingo may be sent down for Adkins. I can actually see that happening. Adkins wasn't that bad last year on the Sox.

Unregistered
06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Personally, I don't get too giddy about Shingo striking out the side against a team that's never seen him before, (assuming the batters didn't face Shingo in ST) it's the teams like Cleveland and Minnesota that I worry more about.

DickAllen72
06-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Shingo gave up one home run at Coors field during a blowout game. That's the last straw! Send him down!

There is no denying Shingo has been struggling some this year, but the idiotic comments were Shingo's pitching was like T Ball last night, and it's because he's no longer fooling anybody. I'm sorry, but you don't strike out three batters in a row by not fooling them.

And before that home run by the first batter, a couple of close pitches were called balls, forcing Shingo to lay one in down the middle. Not to make excuses and deny Shingo still is not in top form, but it's not like he's completely lost it either.

DickAllen72
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
They said that Shingo may be sent down for Adkins. I can actually see that happening. Adkins wasn't that bad last year on the Sox.

Shingo was better than Adkins last year. As for this year, the last I heard Adkins was getting lit up in AAA. Maybe he has turned it around recently, but I haven't heard anything.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't know if it's so idiotic. Shingo is struggling. THere is no argument there. They said that Shingo may be sent down for Adkins. I can actually see that happening. Adkins wasn't that bad last year on the Sox.Are you SURE you want Jon Adkins?

Link (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&did=milb&cid=494)

Unregistered
06-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Are you SURE you want Jon Adkins?

Link (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&did=milb&cid=494)
Sadly, just a little bit worse than McCarthy's been down there...

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Sadly, just a little bit worse than McCarthy's been down there...But McCarthy started last year in A ball. Adkins started last year just a bit higher than that. Their trajectories are in opposite directions.

Unregistered
06-09-2005, 07:23 PM
But McCarthy started last year in A ball. Adkins started last year just a bit higher than that. Their trajectories are in opposite directions.
True - isn't Charlotte a big hitter's park, too?

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 07:28 PM
True - isn't Charlotte a big hitter's park, too?Yup. Check out what Bajenaru is doing. Walks are a bit high, but he's still more than 2:1 SO:BB ratio. If they're going to bring up anyone, he's earned it.

veeter
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
This is your Chicago media. Cheap shots, nothing but cheap shots.

gobears1987
06-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Are you SURE you want Jon Adkins?

Fine then send up Bajenaru. I've been following his numbers a lot the past year. He will be one hell of a reliever.

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
if we brought up bajenaru that means we might have to send down shingo or vizcaino, and IMO i think that would be hazerdous to their already low confidence levels, a problem that has certainly plagued them all season

Falstaff
06-09-2005, 10:02 PM
What I'd like to see happen is one of the craftier pitchers, like El Duque for example, just sit down next to Shingo, put arm around shoulder, and teamate-to-teamate whisper in his ear something like "you da man, bro. You got crazy junkball stuff and even the umpires cant track your frisbee. You Mr Zero. Just close your eyes and give it your best pitch. Visualize..." That sort of thing can be very helpful to a pitcher's self esteem. At his peak, thats what Cy Acosta used to do.

CubsSuckMySox
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Shingo gave up one home run at Coors field during a blowout game. That's the last straw! Send him down!

There is no denying Shingo has been struggling some this year, but the idiotic comments were Shingo's pitching was like T Ball last night, and it's because he's no longer fooling anybody. I'm sorry, but you don't strike out three batters in a row by not fooling them.

And before that home run by the first batter, a couple of close pitches were called balls, forcing Shingo to lay one in down the middle. Not to make excuses and deny Shingo still is not in top form, but it's not like he's completely lost it either.

I agree. He's using the slow stuff WAY too much. Batters are expecting it, and they're not fooled. He's a great pitcher, but he's gotta learn to mix up the pitches once in a while.

An off-speed pitch should be STRATEGICALLY used. It doesn't work when it's all you use.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
What I'd like to see happen is one of the craftier pitchers, like El Duque for example, just sit down next to Shingo, put arm around shoulder, and teamate-to-teamate whisper in his ear something like "you da man, bro. You got crazy junkball stuff and even the umpires cant track your frisbee. You Mr Zero. Just close your eyes and give it your best pitch. Visualize..." That sort of thing can be very helpful to a pitcher's self esteem. At his peak, thats what Cy Acosta used to do.The two translators that would be needed might spoil the moment, though.:tongue:

BigEdWalsh
06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
:ohno

A couple of Sox fans reacting to the rumor that Adkins might be brought up.

PatK
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Didn't Bajeneru get lit up last year when he came up?

ScottsdaleSoxFan
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Didn't Bajeneru get lit up last year when he came up?
Ozzie brought him in in the 9th against Seattle and he got 1 quick out which excited Hawk because he supposedly "attacked" hitters. He couldn't get an out after that and an 8-3 lead quickly turned in to an 8-7 victory.

DumpJerry
06-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Jiggets joked that Shingo was throwing about 10MPH.
Something the "experts" keep forgetting is that Issac Newton told us that for every action, there is a reaction. If you get a hold of a 99 mph fastball, it's a goner. Get a hold of a "10 mph" slow ball, it goes to the infield for an out.