PDA

View Full Version : Hawk funny?

aniceItch
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I was just arguing with a Brewers fan, of all people, about Hawk's homerness. Ah. the argument that never ends. and I made a comment about me thinking that a lot of the crazy things that come out of Hawks mouth being funny. He asked me to give examples..

I failed to think of anything. I know I have laughed at some of his comments before. There has to be something.

StepsInSC
06-09-2005, 04:20 PM
"Ride 'em hard and leave 'em wet"

I adopted it as a battlecry for pre-drinking drinking festivities.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Two words for your Brewer friend concerning homerism...BOB UEKER.

Lip

DaleJRFan
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Two words for your Brewer friend concerning homerism...BOB UEKER.

Lip

The major difference between these two is that Bob Ueker IS funny. I think Rooney and Farmer are considerably more humorous than Hawk.

"He's chewing that gum like a $3 steak"
"That wouldn't have been a homerun in a telephone booth"
"He couldn't have hit that pitch with a telephone pole"
"He couldn't have caught that ball with a butterfly net"

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
The first time I heard him say, "Your WHAT hurts?", I had to laugh. :D:

bayzbol44
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
No.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Compared to most other announcers, Hawk is awesome. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sometimes when I want to lend some corny encouragement to someone, I'll start yelling "C'MAWN! STRETCH!" It's lame but fun.

kj.hayes
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Funny like ha-ha? Or funny like strange?

Because in both cases the answer is yes.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
The Sox were facing a pitcher with a funky off-balance looking delivery, and the Hawk commented that the pitcher's throwing arm was "dangling like a participle."

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Seriously, that's the worst rebuttal of all-time. Hawk is funny not because he's cracking jokes from the pages of playboy or making funny voices; his demeanor, storytelling ability and interactions with DJ are extremely entertaining. Hawk kind of has that "Grandpa" factor in that he sits back and tells stories of yester-year with a terrific tone. Top it off with a little Southern charm with a bit of an ego and one has our Hawk.
Baseball announcers become a comfort item, you get to know their personalities, inside jokes, etc. Therefore an outsider will never understand….

You enjoy him, most Sox fans enjoy him, **** everyone else and who cares what they think.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
"He's chewing that gum like a $3 steak"
"That wouldn't have been a homerun in a telephone booth"
"He couldn't have hit that pitch with a telephone pole"
"He couldn't have caught that ball with a butterfly net"

"Swing and a long one down the right field line.
If it's fair it's a home run.
It's fair.
And it's a home run."

Sxy Mofo
06-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Seriously, that's the worst rebuttal of all-time. Hawk is funny not because he's cracking jokes from the pages of playboy or making funny voices; his demeanor, storytelling ability and interactions with DJ are extremely entertaining. Hawk kind of has that "Grandpa" factor in that he sits back and tells stories of yester-year with a terrific tone. Top it off with a little Southern charm with a bit of an ego and one has our Hawk.
Baseball announcers become a comfort item, you get to know their personalities, inside jokes, etc. Therefore an outsider will never understand….

You enjoy him, most Sox fans enjoy him, **** everyone else and who cares what they think.

Totally agree. It's the grampa factor. Other fans hate him (and I probably would too if the only time i got to watch my team - let's say the indians - was on wgn and had to deal with a completely biased announcers). However, if you take away the homerism and listen to the stories, they'd probably enjoy him too. Hawk and DJ generally spend a good portion of the broadcast complimenting other teams players as well.

VivaOzzie
06-09-2005, 05:38 PM

Hit the nail on the head. I think Hawk is hilarious for the grandpa factor. I think people dont like the bit of ego, but thats what makes him who he is and you gotta appreciate it.

greasywheels121
06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I love that duck.

tony1972
06-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Actually John Rooney (the radio broadcaster) can be funny sometimes.

He has a very dry sense of humor. He's not trying to be funny...his comments just come across as sarcastic and kind of funny.

I/E

Mariners playing the White Sox in Seattle - Sox crushing the Mariners

"Right now most Mariners Fans are dressed as green seats"

Marte walking the first batter on 4 pitches..

" Managers love to see that...walk the first guy on four pitches"

Shingo walking the lead off guy in Colorado in the ninth...

"Garcia Retires 22 batters in a row...Shingo walks the first guy he sees...oh brother!!"

His tone of voice and the dry way he makes his comments..sometimes I laugh out loud....

Hawk is just sort of corny..

rdwj
06-09-2005, 10:38 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself

:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Sometimes the dead air cracks me up. Take an early game in the 2003 season, for example. I believe it was in April of that season...

DJ calls Hawk "sexy," and then Hawk remains dead silent for what seemed to be a solid half minute or so! That had me in stitches!!!

Ron Karkovice
06-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Hawk does have the entertaining grandpa thing going for him, but if you don't laugh the first time you here hawk say: I love that duck... then you're sense of humor is either nonexistent or too emoishly clever.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2005, 09:05 AM
:hawk
"You could have hung all the drawers in Cook County on that one!"

jackbrohamer
06-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Loooooooong time ago he was talking about bats made of ash seemed to break more frequently than they did in the past: "It's not easy to get a good piece of ash anymore."

Something he says when it is raining hard, about a cow on a flat rock. I can never remember it but it makes me laugh.

Sad
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I think it's funny when the opposition belts an obvious homer and Hawk's like:

and it's a 4-2 ballgame

while the ball is in mid-flight...

PAPChiSox729
06-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I think it's funny when the opposition belts an obvious homer and Hawk's like:

and it's a 4-2 ballgame

while the ball is in mid-flight...

It is funny to listen when the opposition gets a big hit or something, Hawk just sits there silent. Then again, I'm usually too angry to care about what Hawk is saying anyways.

nug0hs
06-10-2005, 12:08 PM
....or when someone on our team errs or makes a horrible play and all he can say is "Mercy..."

MsSoxVixen22
06-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I personally think Hawk and DJ are hilarious! I work with (shock) quite a few Sox fans and we all basically great eachother with "He gone!" And one of my personal fav's "I love cotton candy." I think it was last week maybe, Hawk was talking about something and I think it might have been the pucker factor and he says something about pulling a greased tee with a pair of plyers (sp?) My Dad and I were laughing our asses off! :bandance: I love bananas! :roflmao: