PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Pedro Feliz to the Sox???

Chisox4ever
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Jayson Stark hint at a Giants and Sox trade when he was on XM radio that the Sox are talking to the Giants about Pedro Feliz.
Who we would have to give up to get Feliz

SoxSpeed22
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Jayson Stark hint at a Giants and Sox trade when he was on XM radio that the Sox are talking to the Giants about Pedro Feliz.
Who we would have to give up to get Feliz:welcome:
That is so pointless right now. Dye is hitting the ball, we already have Everett and Willie can play center field. If I had to guess, it might have to be Gio Gonzalez and someone else.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Who we would have to give up to get FelizSounds like another trade dreamed up in a bar. What need does Pedro Feliz address?

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't know what I think about this possible deal. He can play all over the field, which is good, but he really doesn't look like he'd be a great fit in this lineup. Where would he play every day? He does produce offensively, though.

Sxy Mofo
06-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Sounds like another trade dreamed up in a bar. What need does Pedro Feliz address?

The needs of the trade-talk dreamers everywhere...

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:04 PM
What's the score! What's the score!! what's the score!

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
:welcome:
That is so pointless right now. Dye is hitting the ball, we already have Everett and Willie can play center field. If I had to guess, it might have to be Gio Gonzalez and someone else.

IIRC, Feliz can play pretty much every position except maybe SS, 2B, C. He's been an OF this year because Barroids has been out, but last year he filled in everywhere and played decently. Per ESPN, he started 59 games at 1B and 37 at 3B last year, and since 2000, he's got games started of 71-1B, 154-3B, 14-SS, 53-LF. While defensive stats aren't all that great, his indicate that he's an average defender at both 3B & 1B. Basically, he seems like a slightly upgrade version of Crede, except he can play more positions.

Assuming we're not giving up a ton, this would be good because he'd be a fairly young, fairly flexible option to plug in almost anywhere for injury or poor performance.

SuperSteve
06-09-2005, 01:09 PM
:welcome:
You know he can play 1B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF right? He is also 30 (may be 31, not sure). It wouldn't be Gio Gonzalez.

Another poster asked what need he fills, uh, alot of roles could be filled by him. He has some pop in his bat, could be used as a UTL type guy, because well, Ozuna, Timo, and co. don't exactly scare anyone as PH. He could also spell Crede at 3B. I would like him, although I see him coming here as not going to happen.

SuperSteve
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
IIRC, Feliz can play pretty much every position except maybe SS, 2B, C. He's been an OF this year because Barroids has been out, but last year he filled in everywhere and played decently. Per ESPN, he started 59 games at 1B and 37 at 3B last year, and since 2000, he's got games started of 71-1B, 154-3B, 14-SS, 53-LF. While defensive stats aren't all that great, his indicate that he's an average defender at both 3B & 1B. Basically, he seems like a slightly upgrade version of Crede, except he can play more positions.

Assuming we're not giving up a ton, this would be good because he'd be a fairly young, fairly flexible option to plug in almost anywhere for injury or poor performance.
Beat me to it.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:11 PM

I just cannot take these nicknames!!! :roflmao:

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 01:13 PM

Assuming we're not giving up a ton, this would be good because he'd be a fairly young, fairly flexible option to plug in almost anywhere for injury or poor performance.He may be an upgrade over Crede at the plate, but he's a significant downgrade on defense. At best they cancel out. If the Sox are going to be looking for anything, it may be a backup 1B since Gload has been shut down again. Ideally, they'd like a lefty.

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
He may be an upgrade over Crede at the plate, but he's a significant downgrade on defense. At best they cancel out. If the Sox are going to be looking for anything, it may be a backup 1B since Gload has been shut down again. Ideally, they'd like a lefty.

Is he really? Just from looking at their 2004 defensive stats, it wouldn't seem so. I know that's not necessarily the be-all/end-all on D, but not having seen Feliz play I don't know his defensive ability. If West is around (or other bay area WSIer), maybe he'd know better.

IMO this is like having 2 Joe Crede's. Which isn't awesome, but does give you twice the probability that one of them develops into a reliable all-around player. You're right though that were he lefty, he'd be a lot more attractive.

balke
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Timo and Adkins for Feliz ActuallY I guess that should be teal, But I'll keep dreamin.

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Who we would have to give up to get Feliz

You sure you didn't hear this on your imaginary XM radio? It just doesn't seem all that likely. Feliz is one of the few players that I would imagine the Giants would like to keep. He's one of the youngest players on that team. If the Giants were to decide to sell off, I think that Feliz would be one of the last players to go.

Chisox4ever
06-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Isnt Feliz in his early 30's that isnt young if they are rebuilding

bennyw41
06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
I think it would be a great deal if they don't give up alot. Feliz can play the two positions we desperatley need backups for. I'd give up willie for him, plus something else. But if Greg Norton is not MLB material, then we def need a backup to 1B and 3B.

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Isnt Feliz in his early 30's that isnt young if they are rebuilding

It's young on the Giants. Feliz is the youngest everyday player on that team.

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I think it would be a great deal if they don't give up alot. Feliz can play the two positions we desperatley need backups for. I'd give up willie for him, plus something else. But if Greg Norton is not MLB material, then we def need a backup to 1B and 3B.

Willie plus something else? Whoa. Sabean would be all over this.

bennyw41
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Willie plus something else? Whoa. Sabean would be all over this.

Well, he would be if we threw in something born before 1970

HebrewHammer
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I'd like to have Feliz, but I think this has "What's the Score - Pedro Feliz Mega-Obsession Thread" written all over it. I like his bat and his versatility, but not enough to deal one of our top prospects. It also sounds like Jayson Stark was just staring at rosters and came up with this deal without any factual basis behind it.

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
You know he can play 1B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF right? He is also 30 (may be 31, not sure). It wouldn't be Gio Gonzalez.

Another poster asked what need he fills, uh, alot of roles could be filled by him. He has some pop in his bat, could be used as a UTL type guy, because well, Ozuna, Timo, and co. don't exactly scare anyone as PH. He could also spell Crede at 3B. I would like him, although I see him coming here as not going to happen.

Except you don't get a guy like Pedro Feliz to be a utility man. Even if this was real, we would be getting Feliz to be our everyday 3B. And if Feliz is available, we'd be competing with several other teams for his services, so there's a good chance that it would cost someone like Gio Gonzalez. At this point it's all speculation though.

MisterB
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM

If Gload is going to be in questionable health for the forseeable future, they might get him to essentially be backup 1B/3B, and filling in in the OF if need be. I assume this would also involve moving either Perez or Harris.

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 01:46 PM
It's young on the Giants. Feliz is the youngest everyday player on that team.

True, but when you send out the cast of "grumpy old men" every day, that's not saying all that much.

If they feel good about Barry returning for the 2d half, then they might do this because Feliz wouldn't have anywhere to play. He's not replacing Alou in the OF, Snow at 1B, or Vizquel at SS. And Alfonzo's hitting the crap out of the ball, so they're unlikely to sit him at 3B. So they'd have to sit Ellison, who's younger and playing well or play Feliz at 2B, which is not a position he's played a lot.

The catch IMO is that the Giants would probably be looking for pitching, which the Sox don't really want to give up. And Feliz isn't worth any good prospects ala BMac, Anderson, Sweeney, Gio.

Another possible factor is that IIRC, Feliz is arb-eligible. I'm not sure on his contract status, but he could get a decent raise. They may not see him as a long-term guy since he's already 30 and might be willing to do what they did with AJ & Hermanson and let him go to save $$$ esp if they can get some ok prospects back.

Maybe they want to put Joe Borchard under Barry's "tutelage"?

balke
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd love it if he could take Timo's spot on the roster. But I don't know how I feel about disrupting the infield chemistry. I doubt Feliz has the 3B glove and range of Crede, who's range became much more apparent to me while watching Ozuna try his hardest to snag some liners unsuccessfully.

You are all right though, he wouldn't be traded to be on the bench... which is where he'd look good for the White Sox.

MisterB
06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I'd love it if he could take Timo's spot on the roster. But I don't know how I feel about disrupting the infield chemistry. I doubt Feliz has the 3B glove and range of Crede, who's range became much more apparent to me while watching Ozuna try his hardest to snag some liners unsuccessfully.

You are all right though, he wouldn't be traded to be on the bench... which is where he'd look good for the White Sox.

Feliz isn't as good as Crede defensively, but he's no hack. I'd call him average at worst at 3B (and much better than, say, Aubrey Huff whom many here have advocated as a 3B option). I'd rather have Feliz backing up 3B than Ozuna, plus he'd be a better backup 1B option than Ozuna, Perez, Widger, Burke, etc..

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Feliz isn't as good as Crede defensively, but he's no hack. I'd call him average at worst at 3B (and much better than, say, Aubrey Huff whom many here have advocated as a 3B option). I'd rather have Feliz backing up 3B than Ozuna, plus he'd be a better backup 1B option than Ozuna, Perez, Widger, Burke, etc..

But he wouldn't be backing up at 3B. He'd be starting over Crede.

Jjav829
06-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Hmmm, Feliz isn't in the Giants lineup today. :cool: :D: