PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea: Eric Hinske

White Sox Josh
06-09-2005, 12:23 PM
What about trading for Eric Hinske of the Blue Jays? He can play both 3rd and 1st and is the odd man out right now because of Koskie and Hillenbrand. He is a lefty with some Pop and a left handed hitter would be good for balance issues.

Tekijawa
06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Ugh....

Jurr
06-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Ugh....
yeah....I feel a dripping in my nostrils...why?? Oh yeah....

:chunks

Hinske doesn't bring the glove that Joe has (which we really need), so we would be paying 3.1 million dollars for a backup? Yes, he's hitting around .290 and he does have 6 homers and almost 30 RBI, but it doesn't make much sense.

faneidde
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I think its a decent idea if we could get him cheap, but I doubt the Blue Jays would be too willing to part with him. Wasn't he rookie of the year two years ago or something?

White Sox Josh
06-09-2005, 12:49 PM
I think its a decent idea if we could get him cheap, but I doubt the Blue Jays would be too willing to part with him. Wasn't he rookie of the year two years ago or something?yes however the jays would probably be willing to part with him because he is the odd man out with Koskie and Hillenbrand their.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 01:09 PM
It doesn't look like we're going to see Gload any time soon, so Kenny may be looking for a backup 1B. Besides, Hinske's a lefty. The price seems a bit steep for a backup, though.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
It doesn't look like we're going to see Gload any time soon, so Kenny may be looking for a backup 1B. Besides, Hinske's a lefty. The price seems a bit steep for a backup, though.
Yeah..3 mil is a LOT for a backup.

ChiSoxRowand
06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
He can play both 3rd and 1st and is the odd man out right now because of Koskie and Hillenbrand.

Usually either Hinske or Hillenbrand is the DH.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
What about trading for Eric Hinske of the Blue Jays? He can play both 3rd and 1st and is the odd man out right now because of Koskie and Hillenbrand. He is a lefty with some Pop and a left handed hitter would be good for balance issues.
He's not odd man out on account of Koskie being injured right now. The Jays won't part with him.

IlliniSox
06-09-2005, 02:53 PM
He's not odd man out on account of Koskie being injured right now. The Jays won't part with him.

It all depends on the Jays staying in it. They have 23y.o. Aaron Hill hitting in the .340's right now; and the Sox should only be on the hook for 3 months worth of Hinske's $3.1M.

If the Jays falter, they'll want to play their rookie. I'd actually love this deal if we only dealt B level talent.

White Sox Josh
06-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Usually either Hinske or Hillenbrand is the DH.Actually isn't Catalanato usually DH.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2005, 03:07 PM
It all depends on the Jays staying in it. They have 23y.o. Aaron Hill hitting in the .340's right now; and the Sox should only be on the hook for 3 months worth of Hinske's $3.1M.

If the Jays falter, they'll want to play their rookie. I'd actually love this deal if we only dealt B level talent.
Good point. Everyone up here is giddy over the sudden emergence of Hill.

Banix12
06-09-2005, 08:38 PM

He is a butcher at 3rd and just slightly better at 1st. He is best suited as a 1b/DH. If Toronto thought he could become a good 3b, they wouldn't have signed Koskie to a fat contract in the offseason.

I'm not sure Hinske could be enough of an offensive upgrade over Crede to makeup for the runs he would cost us in the field. If you look at Hinske's numbers over the last two years since his rookie of the year season, he's shown a decline. Hinske's numbers last season .246 AVG 15 HRS .312 OBP 109 K

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
He is a butcher at 3rd and just slightly better at 1st. He is best suited as a 1b/DH. If Toronto thought he could become a good 3b, they wouldn't have signed Koskie to a fat contract in the offseason.

I'm not sure Hinske could be enough of an offensive upgrade over Crede to makeup for the runs he would cost us in the field. If you look at Hinske's numbers over the last two years since his rookie of the year season, he's shown a decline. Hinske's numbers last season .246 AVG 15 HRS .312 OBP 109 KThis makes sense only one way: as a backup 1B/3B and PH. He's a good fit. Decent LH bat, serviceable in the field. But only if the Jays eat some of his salary.

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 10:09 PM
after last nights game and watching ozuna make blunder after blunder at third, im slowly gaining respect back for crede and his worth at third base, even if he is hitting only .225, he almost ALWAYS makes the play, and makes it look routine at that

Banix12
06-10-2005, 01:51 AM
This makes sense only one way: as a backup 1B/3B and PH. He's a good fit. Decent LH bat, serviceable in the field. But only if the Jays eat some of his salary.

The Jays aren't really in the business of eating contracts. There is also the matter of we wouldn't know how he would react to a reserve role. Not all players can do it well.

I don't see much reason for trading for a 3 mil backup, until last night Ozuna seemed fine in the reserve role. There are cheaper power guys off the bench. A cheaper solution may be Bruce Levine's preseason favorite, Wes Helms from milwaukee. Similar to Hinske he's a butcher, but he's used to being a part time player, he's cheap if I recall, and he does have some power.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
The Jays aren't really in the business of eating contracts. There is also the matter of we wouldn't know how he would react to a reserve role. Not all players can do it well.

I don't see much reason for trading for a 3 mil backup, until last night Ozuna seemed fine in the reserve role. There are cheaper power guys off the bench. A cheaper solution may be Bruce Levine's preseason favorite, Wes Helms from milwaukee. Similar to Hinske he's a butcher, but he's used to being a part time player, he's cheap if I recall, and he does have some power.Can't argue with you about Hinske. It doesn't make much sense. This sounds like idle bar speculation. I, for one, can live with Crede. IMO, his defense is worth 25 pts on his BA. Not that it makes him an All-Star, but it's passable. Of course, if Eric Chavez fell in their lap, I wouldn't complain. Helms would be OK as a IF backup.

ondafarm
06-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I just don't see the White Sox getting a less than solid 3B. Crede is a good glove man and with the Sox current strength up the middle, a good 3B just really makes this team solid defensively. Now, if Konerko could work on his defense.

Mickster
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
I just don't see the White Sox getting a less than solid 3B. Crede is a good glove man and with the Sox current strength up the middle, a good 3B just really makes this team solid defensively. Now, if Konerko could work on his defense.

:walnuts
"Ondafarm obviously hasn't seen me work my magical 3-6-3 double play recently!"