PDA

View Full Version : First in War First in Peace FIRST IN THE NL EAST?

Fenway
06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Here is a staggering stat from Tom Boswell on Monday BEFORE the Nats swept Oakland

What's most amazing about the Nationals -- and they have reached the point where amazing is not too strong a word -- is the quality of the opposition against whom they have amassed their 31-26 record. Of the Nats' 57 games this season, a stunning 47 have been against teams that currently are over .500. Against the game's nine worst teams, they've played only six games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/05/AR2005060501310.html?sub=AR

Mike Downey in the Tribune grumbles
Guess who's in first place?

The Washington Nationals.

That's all we need, for the hapless, hopeless Montreal Expos to fold up shop, emigrate to another land and then treat us as rudely as a French waiter by winning the 2005 World Series. Please, promise us this can't happen. Tell us that the suffering of "long-suffering" Washington fans will not come to an end.

If it does, Chicago's reputation as the baseball cesspool of North America will be dragged even deeper into the mud. And we will feel not scorn but sympathy from a triumphant, satisfied, curse-free baseball town like, God help us all, Boston.

mikedowney@tribune.com

DC Sox Fan
06-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Just got back from the game tonight as the Nats put the broom to the Athletics. While they can only aspire to be a distant 2nd to my beloved Sox, this team is fun as hell to watch. Drawing pretty well (will pass the 1 million mark THIS WEEKEND!) and tearing it up (9 of last 10, phenomenal homestand after a 2-7 road trip). No real superstars, just Nick "The Stick" Johnson and co. applying timely hitting.

However, I don't want them to make the playoffs. I'd rather them give fans a tease and show that they have potential to keep 'em coming back for more. Hope that makes sense... maybe it's the Harp and Smithwick's talking :gulp: :redface:

BTW unofficial marketing is catching on. There are a series of T-shirts that revive the old "Deez Nutz" phenomenon of the early '90s. This site is funny as heck, check it out if you want (hopefully not seen as spam as I have no association/vested interest in it) http://www.deeznats.com/product.htm

elrod
06-10-2005, 12:39 AM
The Nats are absolutely unbelievable. Every day a new hero. Kind of like the White Sox, actually. They've had 14 guys on the DL and they still find ways to win. I'm going to my first game at RFK on July 7 against the Mets. I actually saw them play in Miami before their home opener, when they lost to Beckett and the Marlins 8-0.

What's the TV situation for the Nats in DC? Is MASN on all the cable systems yet, or are the games on channel 20?

kojak
06-10-2005, 06:07 PM
The Washington Nationals are possibly the only team in the National League (other than the obvious Flubs) who would garner more sympathetic casual fan support in a World Series against the Sox.

For that reason only, I hope they falter...

The Racehorse
06-10-2005, 06:16 PM
What's the TV situation for the Nats in DC? Is MASN on all the cable systems yet, or are the games on channel 20?

I've attended quite a few Nats games... not sure about MASN, though I vaguely remember seeing a satellite tractor trailer with markings that spelled it out. I plan on seeing the Saturday & Sunday games... I'll look closer and let you know.

Being that I live in Fredericksburg, I'm not sure about TV coverage in D.C. I do know that the Nats initially shared the same channel on my cable dial back in April, until Peter Angelos whined about it.

Fenway
06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
MASN is NOT on any Comcast systems as this article explains

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-sp.frager27may27,1,4001440.column?coll=bal-artslife-tv

The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) and RCN-DC (formerly known as Starpower) today announced a carriage agreement that will present Washington Nationals games and MASN to RCN Cable subscribers. The announcement was made by Bob Whitelaw, Executive Vice President & General Manager of MASN, and Richard Wadman, Vice President & General Manager of RCN-DC.

Starting with tonight's MASN telecast of the Nationals versus the Milwaukee Brewers, RCN Cable TV customers will receive all MASN-televised Nationals games.

RCN-DC serves more than 185,000 households in Washington, DC, the City of Falls Church, VA, Southern Montgomery County, MD and Gaithersburg, MD. The Nationals games will be seen on RCN channel 8.

The Racehorse
06-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Starting with tonight's MASN telecast of the Nationals versus the Milwaukee Brewers, RCN Cable TV customers will receive all MASN-televised Nationals games.

... which explains the Mariners vs Gnats being on my cable [suddenly] after all these weeks of no televised games down here.

I should have surfed my cable channels prior to making post #5.

:cool:

delben91
06-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Just got back from the game tonight as the Nats put the broom to the Athletics. While they can only aspire to be a distant 2nd to my beloved Sox, this team is fun as hell to watch. Drawing pretty well (will pass the 1 million mark THIS WEEKEND!) and tearing it up (9 of last 10, phenomenal homestand after a 2-7 road trip). No real superstars, just Nick "The Stick" Johnson and co. applying timely hitting.

However, I don't want them to make the playoffs. I'd rather them give fans a tease and show that they have potential to keep 'em coming back for more. Hope that makes sense... maybe it's the Harp and Smithwick's talking :gulp: :redface:

BTW unofficial marketing is catching on. There are a series of T-shirts that revive the old "Deez Nutz" phenomenon of the early '90s. This site is funny as heck, check it out if you want (hopefully not seen as spam as I have no association/vested interest in it) http://www.deeznats.com/product.htm

Personally, I can't wait until August to make a trip "home" and see the Cardinals play the Nats at RFK. The Sox will always be number one with me, but I never had a "second favorite" or "national league team" before to root for, and the Nationals just might become it.

How is it watching the games at RFK? And are there any WSI-esque Nationals boards?

The Racehorse
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Indicative of the Gnats getting everything to bounce their way so far is that some 12-year-career minor leaguer named Chris Short just hit an 0-2 pitch in his first MLB AB, getting an rbi in the process. :cool:

That stuff will keep Frank awake in the dugout all summer.

elrod
06-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Personally, I can't wait until August to make a trip "home" and see the Cardinals play the Nats at RFK. The Sox will always be number one with me, but I never had a "second favorite" or "national league team" before to root for, and the Nationals just might become it.

How is it watching the games at RFK? And are there any WSI-esque Nationals boards?

The best bulletin board is this one:
http://www.ballparkguys.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=41

However, the best Nats blog, and possibly the best sports blog period, is:

http://www.ball-wonk.com/

I haven't been to any games there yet but I understand that the 3rd base stands bounce because they are on wheels. Redskins and DC United games are always a blast at RFK because you can literally shake the stadium.

DC Sox Fan
06-11-2005, 12:39 AM

IMO, the best Nats' board is: www.natfanatics.com (http://www.natfanatics.com).

I heard that they made a reference on Basebal TONYGHT last night that the RFK folks are similar to the "Cameron Crazies" that bounce up and down for no apparent reason. The difference is that we literally shake the stadium. Word is that fan demand has made HOK think about incorporating the "bouncing stands" into the new Navy Yard park. I would love to see it. But I CAN'T WAIT to see an assload of Sox Fans in Balmur (AKA Harm City) at the end of July when the RIGHT Sox roll in to town. Who's in for that one? I'm gonna try to organize a WSI-East-Side-Rally for that 4-game sweep....

DC Sox Fan
06-11-2005, 12:57 AM
PS. For those of you that wonder what "MASN" stand for. Althought popular belief tells you it stands for "Mid Atlantic Sports Network." The correct answer is:

Mister
Angelos
Shows
Nothing

Thanks for playing- we have some lovely parting gifts for you back stage!!!!

gosox41
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
The Nats are absolutely unbelievable. Every day a new hero. Kind of like the White Sox, actually. They've had 14 guys on the DL and they still find ways to win. I'm going to my first game at RFK on July 7 against the Mets. I actually saw them play in Miami before their home opener, when they lost to Beckett and the Marlins 8-0.

Wasn't there a thread started during the offseason that was ripping Bowden and mocking him for some of his moves? The Nats have surprised me this year.

Bob

The Racehorse
06-11-2005, 08:34 AM
How is it watching the games at RFK?

It's not bad.

I'd rate the stadium a C+... not much you can do with those cookie cutter stadiums when it comes to baseball. They're plenty of obstructed views, but the 'feeling' overall isn't bad. I've spent some time in the upper deck, and I don't feel as far away from the action on the field as I did at Busch Stadium [for instance]. With that said, I'm fortunate because my seats are at field level, first row down the first base line next to the gate going onto the field.

I'd rate the knowledge of the fans as a B. The baseball chatter from the Nats fans around me range from the inane to the sublime. But they also like the wave. The other week, I was walking in the UD when I suddenly realized that 20 feet in front of me a was dude yelling "TWO" "THREE" GOOOO!!" as he obliviously ran at full speed toward me [he was starting the wave]... I almost gave him a forearm shiver to protect myself from the impact, but luckily he just grazed me. Also, one of the Nats players attempted a sacrifice bunt but the runner from 1st was forced at 2B and the fans applauded with gusto. I guess they were happy to just see the batter reach 1B...

Which leads me to rate the Nats fans "enthusiasm" an A+. It's really nice to see everyone being respectful during the National Anthem and God Bless America... with allot of those around me singing along. And their decibel level during TMOTTBG during the 7th inning stretch drowns out the noise from low flying aircraft. The Nats fans are lively, thats for sure.

Lastly, I always wear a SOX hat to the games. Sometimes I think I'm literally the only one in a crowd of 30K wearing SOX gear. If any WSI'er gets bored, I can be found in section 102, first row. I'll probably be their tonight and tomorrow. I'll be introducing my new hat [below] to Nats and their fans...

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1776298reg.jpg
I'll be looking good in a sea of red caps & W's. :bandance:

The Racehorse
06-11-2005, 08:37 AM
But I CAN'T WAIT to see an assload of Sox Fans in Balmur (AKA Harm City) at the end of July when the RIGHT Sox roll in to town. Who's in for that one? I'm gonna try to organize a WSI-East-Side-Rally for that 4-game sweep....

I'm in. I'll be there for all four games. I've been looking forward to this series since I moved out here last September!

:bandance:

elrod
06-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm going to my first Nats home game on July 7 against the Mets. I'm actually a fan of both the Nats and Mets, but I definitely lean toward the Mets. That said I'm really looking forward to it. I actually saw the Nats on the road in Florida before their first home game. They lost to the Marlins 8-0 that day.

NonetheLoaiza
06-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm all for seeing a matchup of what should have been the 1994 World Series. I'm glad the Expos/Nationals are doing well on the big stage. I hope their season keeps on going.

delben91
06-11-2005, 12:01 PM
But I CAN'T WAIT to see an assload of Sox Fans in Balmur (AKA Harm City) at the end of July when the RIGHT Sox roll in to town. Who's in for that one? I'm gonna try to organize a WSI-East-Side-Rally for that 4-game sweep....

I'll be there for friday, saturday and sunday, making the trip south on the NJ Turnpike to see the Sox, so count me in for any festivities. :cool: :gulp:

sox_fan_forever
06-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I went to my first Nationals game this past Thursday. Usually when I go to a baseball game that involves two teams I don't really care about I don't get too into it, but I found it very easy to root for the Nats. Whoever said that their fans are enthusiastic is right on the money. Unfortunately, there was a Cubs fan sitting right in front me. He was alone so he was pretty quiet, but he did root for the A's the whole time. :rolleyes: