PDA

View Full Version : Catching the Padres at a Good Time

Cowhead418
06-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Hopefully San Diego will play like crap this weekend the way they've played the past two weeks. They've lost a ton of games recently and most of them have been at home. Hopefully the Sox can put a beating on them like the Indians and Flubs did.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
After the Vlad and Barmes things, I'm beginning to think this is just a blessed season. The Red Sox winning the series has really sent the baseball gods into a tailspin.

itsnotrequired
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Hopefully San Diego will play like crap this weekend the way they've played the past two weeks. They've lost a ton of games recently and most of them have been at home. Hopefully the Sox can put a beating on them like the Indians and Flubs did.

Hoping indeed. Here's to the Padres not being due!:gulp:

Iwritecode
06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
After the Vlad and Barmes things, I'm beginning to think this is just a blessed season. The Red Sox winning the series has really sent the baseball gods into a tailspin.

Could it happen?

2004 - Red Sox
2005 - White Sox
2006 - Cubs

:o:

I'd take it. :cool:

nebraskasox
06-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Yes, the Cubune was quick to point out how the Sox have been lucky this year:

From Chicagosports.com today:

"DENVER -- The White Sox will enjoy Thursday's off day in San Diego with the comfort of knowing they won't face Padres ace Jake Peavy or Adam Eaton in a three-game weekend series at Petco Park.

It has been a common thread throughout the Sox's season, as they have missed Baltimore's Sammy Sosa, the Los Angeles Angels' Vladimir Guerrero, Minnesota's Justin Morneau and Colorado's Clint Barmes because of injuries."

Of course, they don't mention that we've played most of the year without Frank and actually played a game with Dye at SS and Widger at 3rd!

I like the pitching matchups in the SD series. Just keep winning guys.

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
The Padres have been hit witht he flu bug recently and I would imagine that contributed to their recent tailspin.

In regards to "catching breaks" when the Sox play teams, call me crazy, but I don't want the "breaks". I want to beat these teams at full strength, cause if they can't beat 'em at full strength...they aren't going anywhere in October.

chisox117
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Of course, they don't mention that we've played most of the year without Frank and actually played a game with Dye at SS and Widger at 3rd!

Plus that game with Timo starting at 1b was brutal! Wasn't Crede was in at SS too in the same game as Dye?
:gulp:

TheBull
06-09-2005, 11:37 AM
The Padres have been hit witht he flu bug recently and I would imagine that contributed to their recent tailspin.

In regards to "catching breaks" when the Sox play teams, call me crazy, but I don't want the "breaks". I want to beat these teams at full strength, cause if they can't beat 'em at full strength...they aren't going anywhere in October.

Quite a few guys on the Padres have been suffering from an upper respiratory ailment according to the local paper and radio. I too prefer beating a team at full strength, but I think the Padres played out of their minds in May. They are not as bad as their recent stretch, but not as good as their May. They were pulling wins out of every orifice.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Yeah, but June and July just goes on forever, and the players get to feeling tired and bored with the same old routine, so little positive breaks like these during the "dog days" help wins pile up.

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah, but June and July just goes on forever, and the players get to feeling tired and bored with the same old routine, so little positive breaks like these during the "dog days" help wins pile up.

I agree with you, but we have gotten a lot of "breaks". I don't want to get in the habit of counting on them. :cool:

spiffie
06-09-2005, 12:02 PM
It has been a common thread throughout the Sox's season, as they have missed Baltimore's Sammy Sosa

Yes, we missed an emotionally fragile player who at the time we missed him was hitting .268 with 4 HR and 13 RBI at that time. We sure would have been swept otherwise.

rmusacch
06-09-2005, 12:24 PM

"DENVER -- The White Sox will enjoy Thursday's off day in San Diego with the comfort of knowing they won't face Padres ace Jake Peavy or Adam Eaton in a three-game weekend series at Petco Park.

It has been a common thread throughout the Sox's season, as they have missed Baltimore's Sammy Sosa, the Los Angeles Angels' Vladimir Guerrero, Minnesota's Justin Morneau and Colorado's Clint Barmes because of injuries."

It was only an inning with those guys at SS and 3B. But why let the truth get in the way of a a good story. :)

DaleJRFan
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine lives in San Diego and is a DIE HARD Padres fan. I talked to him about this yesterday. He said they are not playing well at all. Its not as if they aren't winning, they just can't do anything right. Shaky defense, striking out with men in scoring position, pitchers going 2-0 3-1....

We'll enter town just at the right time, coming off of a BIG sweep... Go get em Sox.

DumpJerry
06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Could it happen?

2004 - Red Sox
2005 - White Sox
2006 - Cubs

:o:

I'd take it. :cool:
Are you nuts? What are you trying to do to yourself? A lifetime ban from WSI????

It is more like this:
2004- Red Cubs.
2005-2010- White Sox.
2011-Cubs move to Vegas.

That is what I'll take.

Brian26
06-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Are you nuts? What are you trying to do to yourself? A lifetime ban from WSI????

It is more like this:
2004- Red Cubs.
2005-2010- White Sox.
2011-Cubs move to Vegas.

That is what I'll take.

You beat me to it. I generally agree with IWC, but I can't endorse what he wrote. So, basically the Sox would have one year of glory and then the Cubs would immediately outshine them by winning the Series the next year? Screw that.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
You beat me to it. I generally agree with IWC, but I can't endorse what he wrote. So, basically the Sox would have one year of glory and then the Cubs would immediately outshine them by winning the Series the next year? Screw that.
yeah..that would pretty much suck.

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 01:55 PM

I can see the Trib headline now...

Curse Ended, Chicago finally gets it's Series Champs!!!
The Chicago Cubs end the city's baseball championship drought, fans flock to gloious Wrigley Field to pee....er....celebrate

And on p.8: "White Sox go back to the drawing board after failing to win the World Series yet again, continuing their drought of only 1 championship since 1917"

Iwritecode
06-09-2005, 02:44 PM

OK OK, maybe not the Cubs winning it the very next year. Just sometime afterwards...

I've always said that if the Sox can win at least 1 WS before the Cubs do, I can die happy.

If the Cubs win one before the Sox, I'm not sure what I'd do. But we would NEVER hear the end of it from Cubs fans...

PAPChiSox729
06-09-2005, 02:50 PM
OK OK, maybe not the Cubs winning it the very next year. Just sometime afterwards...

I've always said that if the Sox can win at least 1 WS before the Cubs do, I can die happy.

If the Cubs win one before the Sox, I'm not sure what I'd do. But we would NEVER hear the end of it from Cubs fans...

I don't even want to think about that! This season is too awesome to be worrying about the Cubs. Let the teams take care of themselves and enjoy great play by the White Sox while it lasts.

Foulke You
06-09-2005, 03:52 PM

Wow, the Trib is getting deperate now to prove that our season is one big mirage. Now, it appears our great success is related to the injuries of other teams. The Sox missing the .250 hitting post steroid deflated Sosa was a HUGE break. The O's would have swept for sure had he been in the lineup.

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
The Sox have the best record in baseball. It's been that way all year. The team is fantastic. Sox fans don't need validation from the Cubune. They can put us down all year long - still won't change a thing if the team wins 100 games - and a playoff series or three.

maurice
06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow, the Trib is getting deperate now to prove that our season is one big mirage. Now, it appears our great success is related to the injuries of other teams.

Only partially. The rest of the Sox success is due to the fact that the wind only blows out when the Sox are batting.

DumpJerry
06-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Only partially. The rest of the Sox success is due to the fact that the wind only blows out when the Sox are batting.
Don't forget the grass changes length between innings.

IowaSox1971
06-09-2005, 05:25 PM
We were without Frank Thomas for 50 games this season. Shouldn't that have been a big advantage for our opponents?

One thing that has bothered me for some time is how the media and others seem to forget that we played the second half of the 2004 season without Frank and Maggs. If those two had stayed healthy all season, I think we would have won the division. Take out Ramirez and Ortiz from Boston's lineup for the entire second half of last season, and I don't think the Red Sox would have made the playoffs either. Yet, the White Sox are viewed as a team that didn't play up to its potential last season. When the White Sox are hit with injuries, nobody seems to care or notice. But when we beat a team that has a player or two sidelined, then the injury excuses are permitted.

Cowhead418
06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Don't forget the grass changes length between innings.
Don't forget the pitching mound height changes between innings as well.

Dick Allen
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
The Cubune conveniently forgets that Peavy was scratched from his scheduled start against the Cubs last Sunday. Somebody make them go away.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Breaks schmakes. Every team gets their share over a season. Do you think the Twins met every opponent completely healthy and always with their best pitchers on the mound?:violin:

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 08:44 PM

Petco is supposed to be an excellent pitcher's park if I'm not mistaken. With our pitching and speed, we're built to win there. Of course the Padres are doing pretty well for themselves therer, but still. I like our chances of a 2/3 with the way we've been hitting lately and we have our three best pitchers going. Even though it was in Denver, we've been putting up a lot of healthy numbers the last 10 games with the exception of the 2-1 game which we won.