PDA

View Full Version : What do we need for 2002?

Viva Magglio
11-14-2001, 02:44 PM
In order to get back into the playoffs in 2002, what do we need?

FarWestChicago
11-14-2001, 02:47 PM
A new owner?

KempersRS
11-14-2001, 02:56 PM
How about a season? One has to play the game to win, I don't think anyone will be winning come April.

Iwritecode
11-14-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Win more games than the other teams in our division.
(Whatever teams they may be)

:):):)

Dadawg_77
11-14-2001, 03:10 PM
A new owner and a new CBA would be nice.

kermittheefrog
11-14-2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

How about Jose at short, Joe Borchard in center and the players know as Singleton and Clayton gone?

Spiff
11-14-2001, 05:20 PM
The Sox need to stop tearing their damn labrums!

What I mean is they need to stay healthy.

I still think there will be baseball come opening day.

Railsplitter
11-14-2001, 06:17 PM
A manager who isn't afraid to steal a base now and then. Seriously, evertime Ray Durham gets on first, the Hawk says "Good speed aboard", but Ray just stays there.

Vsahajpal
11-14-2001, 06:28 PM
A healthy Rauch!

Kermit, a scout in Mesa sent me a really bad note regarding the consensus opinion of many other scouts regarding Borchard. Suffice to say, he should be at Charlotte to start 2002, IMO.

Daver
11-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
The Sox need to stop tearing their damn labrums!

What I mean is they need to stay healthy.

I still think there will be baseball come opening day.

There will not be an opening day in April,maybe July.

The Sox need to throw a blanket party for Nardi Contreas and put him on a Texas bound Greyhound while he is still unconcious.

But that may be just me.

czalgosz
11-14-2001, 08:40 PM
The Sox do need a true leadoff hitter - someone who actually gets on base and then steals another one. I thought that Johnny Damon would fit the bill nicely, and he wouldn't be that expensive considering his 2001 season and the amount of FA competition out there, but that's out, I guess.

They also need a veteran pitcher. I'm not asking for a Cy Young candidate, just someone who can throw 200+ innings and get 15 or more quality starts.

Once those two needs have been filled, then they can begin their quest for a long-term solution behind the plate. Maybe Olivo is that answer, but my gut says they should have a backup plan.

It blows my mind that KW isn't going after Free Agents. There won't be a better season for Free Agents in 20 years. the only rational reason in my mind is that with the CBA up in the air, he doesn't want to commit to something right now.

I think the core is already there. Like someone said, if this team stays healthy, they'll compete with anyone, even without any new faces for 2002. But there better be a 2002, that's all I have to say...

doublem23
11-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
How about Jose at short, Joe Borchard in center and the players know as Singleton and Clayton gone?

I can dig it (except for that Borchard in CF part).

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Kermit, a scout in Mesa sent me a really bad note regarding the consensus opinion of many other scouts regarding Borchard. Suffice to say, he should be at Charlotte to start 2002, IMO.

I assume the scouts said he was not ready for the show.

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
It blows my mind that KW isn't going after Free Agents.

I sort of agree with what he is doing here. Remember he getting the call from above on how much money he can spend. Anyway with all these pitchers coming back there just isn't enough room on the roster for them all. I think Williams will be making a few trades this offseason. I wouldn't mind seeing them sign Damon, but it won't happen.

Daver
11-14-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I assume the scouts said he was not ready for the show.

I think I said that 2 months ago.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Chisox_cali
11-14-2001, 10:38 PM
A healthy Rauch!

Vic, have you seen or heard anymore on Rauch. Last I heard was he was throwing in the pen.

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think I said that 2 months ago.

:moron
And I said the Cubs were going to the playoffs back in June.

longshot7
11-15-2001, 02:31 AM
a good #3 starter - besides Boomer back.

A leadoff hitter who's not swinging for the fences every AB.

a longterm deal for Foulkie (Elias ranked higher than Rivera)

cheerleaders. (this IS a wishlist!)

Vsahajpal
11-15-2001, 02:52 AM
No, haven't heard anything on Rauch, Cali.

Here's what the scout said:

Two other players of note for Chicago sports fans are Joe Borchard and P Kyle Kane. Joe Borchard had an awful season. He couldn't touch a pitch with any break at all, and a large hole in his swing was exposed. The talk is that he has "Teixeira" disease. Beware of college hitters! Kyle Kane is a dominant pitcher when he throws strikes. His ERA is under 2.00, but he is walking a player per inning.

Two things bother me with this, first of all, Teixeira had troubles at Instrux partly due to the fact that he missed most of his season with an ankle injury. He's one of the best collegiate hitters ever.

Secondly, a listing of some of the colleges hitters drafted where Borchard was (or where he should've gone based on talent alone) indicates that the only ones who should be aware of them are pitchers:

Nomar Garciaparra (12th overall in 94)
Jason Varitek (14th overall in 94)

Darin Erstad (1st overall in 95)
Todd Helton (8th overall in 95)

Mark Kotsay (9th overall in 96)

JD Drew (2nd overall in 97, 5th overall in '98)
Troy Glaus (3rd overall in 97)
Lance Berkman (16th overall in 97)

Pat Burrell (1st overall in 98)
Carlos Pena (10th overall in 98)

btw, God I hope Patterson turns out as expected since the Cubs drafted him over Drew, Burroughs, and Pena. He looks good so far this winter, stupid Tucker.

The Sox drafted Kip Wells 2 spots ahead of CC Sabathia and 2 spots behind former draftee Jeff Weaver.

But anyways, the only real busts who were considered great college hitters like Borchard are Brooks Kieschnick (stop laughing) and Eric Munson, who still has a chance to be good if he overcomes injury.

In light of the season Borchard had at double A, I think it's pretty stupid to cast him in a negative light (same with Teixeira).

Having said that, I don't think he'll be ready to play in Chicago in April of 2002*

*if, as daver will remind us, there is a season at all.

Jerry_Manuel
11-15-2001, 06:50 AM
Vic,
It's only 5:50 in the morning so maybe I read this wrong. But I could have swore I just read that scouts at the Arizona Fall League are calling Borchard a "bust". And it just blows my mind, this is his first full year of minor league ball, and just because he looks bad in the Arizona Fall League he's going to be a bust?

Vsahajpal
11-15-2001, 12:29 PM
Most of the scouting experts like his chances to become an all-star OF pretty soon; you have to remember that the scouts in AZ are regionally based, so they didn't get a chance to see him at Birmingham at all. Since this was their first look at him, obviously they were less than impressed with the hype he receives in relation to the numbers he put up. Of course, he's doing pretty well for Team USA right now.

"He's real good."-Ed Lynch

I'd say August of 2002 to be safe, unless he pulls an Adam Dunn at Charlotte; I wouldn't put it past him.

kermittheefrog
11-15-2001, 01:37 PM
Most of the scouting experts like his chances to become an all-star OF pretty soon; you have to remember that the scouts in AZ are regionally based, so they didn't get a chance to see him at Birmingham at all. Since this was their first look at him, obviously they were less than impressed with the hype he receives in relation to the numbers he put up. Of course, he's doing pretty well for Team USA right now.

"He's real good."-Ed Lynch

I'd say August of 2002 to be safe, unless he pulls an Adam Dunn at Charlotte; I wouldn't put it past him.

Hell it doesn't take a major league scout to know Borchard sucked in the AFL. Look at the numbers.

fuzzy_patters
11-15-2001, 02:08 PM
If Joe B. can hit .270 with 30 homers in center he would be an offensive force compared to the norm at that position. Has anyone heard how that experiment was coming?

Jerry_Manuel
11-15-2001, 06:03 PM
Thanks for clearing the situation up for me Vic. Could you imagine how Reinsy would react if Joe was a bust?

:reinsy
5.3 million gone, 5.3 million out the window.

kermittheefrog
11-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
If Joe B. can hit .270 with 30 homers in center he would be an offensive force compared to the norm at that position. Has anyone heard how that experiment was coming?

I've heard he's more than adequate in center and there hasn't been any talk of the Sox moving him to a corner.

doublem23
11-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Thanks for clearing the situation up for me Vic. Could you imagine how Reinsy would react if Joe was a bust?

Ahh, he'd probably just blame it on the fans.