PDA

View Full Version : Twins are complaining about our schedule

FanofBill
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
It's good to see the shoe on the other foot. :D: We just have to keep playing the way we're playing and they'll know how it feel to be the WS the last few years. :D:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/11848390.htm

(you'll have to register)
Really miss the Rockies

http://www.twincities.com/images/common/spacer.gif
BY JASON WILLIAMS
Pioneer Press

PHOENIX The unbalanced schedule has been a hot topic since interleague play began in 1997. And the argument probably never will end, especially if it determines the American League Central Division race this year.

The Twins' chief divisional rival, Chicago, had lowly Colorado on its interleague schedule, while Minnesota does not play the National League's worst team.

The White Sox entered Wednesday's game in Denver looking for a three-game sweep of the Rockies, who had a 19-38 record second-worst in the majors. Those games ultimately could decide what is shaping up to be a neck-and-neck race in the Central, with the first-place White Sox entering Wednesday with a four-game lead over second-place Minnesota.

"I've heard people argue about that," Twins pitcher Kyle Lohse said of the unbalanced schedule. "It is kind of unfair when teams within in the division are playing different schedules and things within the division are so tight. But the bottom line, I think, is you've just got to beat the teams you're supposed to beat. And if you take care of your own business, you'll end up there at the end."

IlliniSox
06-09-2005, 10:23 AM
It's good to the shoe on the other foot. :D: We just have to keep playing the way we're playing and they'll know how it feel to be the WS the last few years. :D:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/11848390.htm

(you'll have to register)
Really miss the Rockies

BY JASON WILLIAMS
Pioneer Press

PHOENIX The unbalanced schedule has been a hot topic since interleague play began in 1997. And the argument probably never will end, especially if it determines the American League Central Division race this year.

The Twins' chief divisional rival, Chicago, had lowly Colorado on its interleague schedule, while Minnesota does not play the National League's worst team.

The White Sox entered Wednesday's game in Denver looking for a three-game sweep of the Rockies, who had a 19-38 record second-worst in the majors. Those games ultimately could decide what is shaping up to be a neck-and-neck race in the Central, with the first-place White Sox entering Wednesday with a four-game lead over second-place Minnesota.

"I've heard people argue about that," Twins pitcher Kyle Lohse said of the unbalanced schedule. "It is kind of unfair when teams within in the division are playing different schedules and things within the division are so tight. But the bottom line, I think, is you've just got to beat the teams you're supposed to beat. And if you take care of your own business, you'll end up there at the end."

I can almost hear the tiny violins. You've been playing the Brewers for years before they turned it around, Kyle.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Cry me a river. They get 3 games against the Giants, who are not exactly playoff material, either. And the Sox have 6 games against the Cubs while the Twins play their 6 against the Brewers.

MisterB
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I can almost hear the tiny violins. You've been playing the Brewers for years before they turned it around, Kyle.

:violin: <---- (actual size)

Jerko
06-09-2005, 10:33 AM
It's always been unfair Kyle, you're just figuring it out now because it's the first time your team was a "victim" of it. The Brewers have SUCKED for the past 2 years (I know it's been longer) and you got them 6 times, while the Sox had the NLCS bound/playoff contending Cubs for 6. It all evens out over time I guess, but if teams from the same AL division don't play the same NL opponents, it IS going to be unfair to someone. Even if they go back to the original interleague schedule, some team will bitch that it's unfair because of wild card implications.
(ie, The poor little Red Sox and Yankees would get the NL east, who are all over .500, while central teams would get Hou, Pit, Cin, and Milw.) It's never gonna be fair to EVERYONE Kyle, just take your turn now and shut up.

Irishsox1
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I think that Juan Rincon getting suspened for 10 days for steroids is a joke.

Now that's something worth complaing about.

elrod
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Didn't they get Arizona last year, with their 111 losses? And no team had swept the Rockies at Coors Field until us. If we had the Rockies at home it'd be a different story. Also note that we get the Padres in San Diego while the Twins get them at home. Another thing, I seem to remember the Twins getting nine games with the Devil Rays last year while we got 9 with the A's.

Jerko
06-09-2005, 10:44 AM

That's true. I get sick every time I see that freakin cheater out there.

elrod
06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
The article doesn't really say the Twins are complaining, by the way.

skottyj242
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I didn't really see where they were complaining either, the writer was complaining but I didn't really get that feeling from the players.

itsnotrequired
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Didn't they get Arizona last year, with their 111 losses? And no team had swept the Rockies at Coors Field until us. If we had the Rockies at home it'd be a different story. Also note that we get the Padres in San Diego while the Twins get them at home. Another thing, I seem to remember the Twins getting nine games with the Devil Rays last year while we got 9 with the A's.

Excellent post. At the start of the season, I bet the Twins were drooling over the fact that they get to play the lowly D-Backs. Now they complain since that team is doing well.

And what exactly are they complaining about? They've won the first two games of the series already, one which was a CG shutout. *****...

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2005, 11:59 AM

And their fans - in both senses of the term - that both blow and suck.

kevingrt
06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I didn't really see where they were complaining either, the writer was complaining but I didn't really get that feeling from the players.

Totally agree. The comment from Lohse wasn't that loathing on the so called discrepency in schedule. The writer seemed to have a big beef with the schedules though. Oh well, if you can't beat us Minnesota there is no reason to complain about the schedules.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't see any quotes from any Twins player or Ron Gardenhire where they're complaining about the schedule.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire says the divisional schedule offsets any imbalance in the interleague schedule, which has the AL Central vs. the NL West this year. For instance, the Twins and White Sox were scheduled to play 18 times this season. Chicago leads the season series 4-1, and the teams will play 13 times in the last seven weeks of the season.

"You have your fate in your own hands," Gardenhire said. "It's a marathon, and when it's all said and done and you get playing in your division, that's when the division's going to be decided."

The Twins' and White Sox's interleague schedules might not turn out to be so unbalanced after all. Minnesota plays three games against San Francisco at the Metrodome next week. And without injured Barry Bonds, the Giants aren't much better than the Rockies. San Francisco entered Wednesday with a 24-32 record, in fourth place in the NL West.

Plus, there is more balance among the teams' so-called "natural" interleague rivalries this year. Milwaukee (28-30 entering Wednesday) is much improved after a last-place finish in 2004, and the Brewers have risen to the level of mediocrity of fellow NL Central foe Chicago Cubs (31-27).

"Last year, the White Sox were complaining because Milwaukee was bad and the Chicago Cubs were good," Lohse said.

Now contrast this with Carl Everett's whining from yesterday. I'll take the Twins' attitude, thank you.

StillMissOzzie
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't see any quotes from any Twins player or Ron Gardenhire where they're complaining about the schedule.

Now contrast this with Carl Everett's whining from yesterday. I'll take the Twins' attitude, thank you.

"I've heard people argue about that," Twins pitcher Kyle Lohse said of the unbalanced schedule. "It is kind of unfair when teams within in the division are playing different schedules and things within the division are so tight. But the bottom line, I think, is you've just got to beat the teams you're supposed to beat. And if you take care of your own business, you'll end up there at the end.... Last year, the White Sox were complaining because Milwaukee was bad and the Chicago Cubs were good," Lohse said.

cheeses-see the part I pasted above? Lohse saying "It is kind of unfair..." sure sounds a lot to me like a complaint about the unbalanced schedule. To his credit, Lohse also recognizes what goes around, comes around, where they played the Brewers last year when they stunk out loud. JMO
BTW, they don't call him Crazy Carl for nothin'...

SMO
:gulp:

Tekijawa
06-09-2005, 01:34 PM

http://www.comedycentral.com/images/shows/chappelle/videos/season2/215/215_chappelle_prince_m2.jpg
"Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka"

rmusacch
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM

I like the 50, 100, lifetime proposed by Bud.

NUCatsFan
06-09-2005, 05:14 PM
And no team had swept the Rockies at Coors Field until us.

I assume you mean, just this season.

The Sox are the second AL team to sweep the Rockies in Colorado, with the 2001 Angels being the first (if I remember correctly)

DickAllen72
06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anybody know if the Twins have to play twenty days in a row without a day off at any point this season like the Sox have to do at the end of September? :?:

Tberg
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
They do play 19 games in a row starting on the 21 of the month

SOXSINCE'70
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: They may not be complaining,but it sure sounds
like they wish they had the Sox schedule.Too bad.:D: BTW,the Sox
are done in Anaheim (the Halos come here for 3 in August,that's it).
The Sox are also through with Skydome (Jays still come here for 3 later
this year).The Twinkies haven't gone to Anaheim yet (or Oakland or Texas).
The Sox have been to Oakland and Texas once.:cool: :cool:

Tberg
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
There hasn't been much talk up here about that.
We've heard the Twins whine as much as anyone and the media hasn't jumped all over anything like that yet.

Tragg
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry, did the Twins complain last year when they got THREE (or was it Six) games against the WORST team in baseball, Arizona, while we had the Cubs? What about this year - i don't like them, but the Cubs are better than the Brewers.
And it's not like the Giants are much of a team - what are they, 3-4 games ahead of the Rockies?
Twins are a bunch of pu$$ies.

oeo
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
This is ridiculous...although some teams might be givens for being a terrible team, you cannot predict that. Who would have thought that the Yankees would be 29-30? To tell you the truth, they may have given the Twins the advantage because Arizona had the worse record of the two teams last year...

Here we go again, our schedule is too easy, I hope they keep making excuses.

Vernam
06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Totally agree. The comment from Lohse wasn't that loathing on the so called discrepency in schedule. The writer seemed to have a big beef with the schedules though. Oh well, if you can't beat us Minnesota there is no reason to complain about the schedules.

Look, if you guys keep insisting we stick to facts, I'm going to call in the moderators. :redneck

While we're bashing them for something they didn't say, how about their home turf advantage for the past 20 years? Playing in the Dump Dome has been worth 5 to 10 victories per year, most of them against the Sox.

VC

soxfanreggie
06-09-2005, 08:33 PM
The Twins are just mad because an "easy" team like Arizona is playing better than they were predicted to. I can't believe they're mad because we play one darn series with the Rockies. If it's that big a deal, they can play the Cubs and we'll take on the Brewers. 9 years of out of 10, the Cubs will be better.

I want Mags back
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
3 words:

**** off twins

MeanFish
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
The Twins are just mad because an "easy" team like Arizona is playing better than they were predicted to. I can't believe they're mad because we play one darn series with the Rockies. If it's that big a deal, they can play the Cubs and we'll take on the Brewers. 9 years of out of 10, the Cubs will be better.

I don't see where the Twins "are just mad" about anything...the only incriminating words were uttered by Kyle Lohse, who imho answered the question "do you feel that the schedules are unfair because of interleague play?" in a perfectly honest and honorable way. He didn't say "the schedule sucks because the White Sox have an easier one and it makes it harder for us to win the division." No, he said "Yes, it is kind of unfair but all we can do is win the games we play." which were it said by Buehrle or Ozzie would have drawn much praise from us.

On that note,

:threadsucks

The Twins are not the Cubs. They have done nothing in the last few years (except for, of course, when Hunter ran over Jamie Burke, which, as we found after much debate, was exactly what we would have wanted him to do were he on our team against our top division rival.) to show that they are anything but an organization that is worthy of our respect. They don't deserve this kind of spin/slander just because we haven't been able to beat them the last few years. That's just sour grapes.

Bash Mauer because he's made of glass. Bash Gardenhire for having funny facial hair. Bash LeCroy for looking like Dr. Robotnik. Take shots at Hunter for being a tool. I don't care. But please, make sure what we're complaining about is at least even a little bit true. Otherwise, that speaks pretty poorly about us.

Ventura Fan 23
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Their complaining is hypocritical and ridiculous. Last year, they played the Mets while the White Sox had to play the Marlins coming off their Championship.

The Twins are not the Cubs. They have done nothing in the last few years (except for, of course, when Hunter ran over Jamie Burke, which, as we found after much debate, was exactly what we would have wanted him to do were he on our team against our top division rival.) to show that they are anything but an organization that is worthy of our respect. They don't deserve this kind of spin/slander just because we haven't been able to beat them the last few years. That's just sour grapes.

WHAT!? I never would expect to hear something like that from a fellow Sox fan. The Twins are OUR RIVALS. They are THE ENEMY. They are SUPPOSED TO BE HATED BY US, and will.

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I don't see this as complaining, he's just making a point, although I don't agree with it. It's just that for once, we're the benefactors of the uneven scheduling, although it's only one series. But the Rockies/DBacks thing is the only case where you could say we clearly have the advantage. And like others have said, we have to play the cubs 6 times while they play the Brewers. That more than makes up for our easy ride in Denver. There's no way the Twins have been gypped here.

This is baseball, you have 162 games, so one three-game series equals a whole fifty-fourth of the season. What about football, where every game is crucial and outside of your divisional games, the other 50% of the schedule is played against pretty much random teams? The Bears might get the Eagles the same week the Packers get Cleveland. It's called that's the breaks. Live with it and shut your frickin' pie hole. :cool:

MeanFish
06-09-2005, 10:51 PM
WHAT!? I never would expect to hear something like that from a fellow Sox fan. The Twins are OUR RIVALS. They are THE ENEMY. They are SUPPOSED TO BE HATED BY US, and will.

That's a rather simplistic philosophy, don't you think? Sox fans pride themselves on being knowledgeable about the game. Part of being knowledgeable about the game is getting the facts straight, and sometimes that even requires making an objective statement about your closest rival.

Rivals are meant to be competed with, rooted against, and all of those things that make competition great. However, any rival worth their salt is worthy of respect. With respect comes a certain set of unwritten rules, one being "don't make stuff up about them that isn't true just because they're as good or better than you are."

Edit: I'd just like to state that I do think we've got their number this year. But, I'm not counting 'em out yet :smile:

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 11:02 PM
this thread is hilarious :rolling: omg, i cant stop laughing :rolling:

Tragg
06-10-2005, 12:02 AM

Actually, what have the Cubs done to us? Nothing. It's the media (and not just the tribune) and the hype/mythology all the rest that is the real complaint. You could switch Twins with Cubs in that article and no one would blink. That's exactly the kind of nonsene that comes out of the tribune or moronoti - oh "woe are we", sifting for excuses, we just can't get a break, etc. That article was nothing but ludicrous, wimpy whining.

You can like the Twins if you want to, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with invoking one's God-given right to dislike their top rival.

seanpmurphy
06-10-2005, 02:48 AM
:twinslose

Man, after than 10-0 thrashing the D'Backs took, this Thursday they really showed the Twins who's playing above expectations!

Iguana775
06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
I dont know if this was brought up or not but the Twins only have to play 41 games against winnings teams. The Sox have 46.

So they need to stick a tampon in their you know what.