PDA

View Full Version : Question about last night's game

Moses_Scurry
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I didn't get to watch the game last night. Damn Indy cable! Why was Politte batting for himself??? He only pitched 2/3 innings, so it's not like he batted so he could stay in, unless he made the last out of one inning and the first out of the next inning I guess.

The first thing I noticed when checking out the box score this morning was that he had 1 ab, 1 hit, 1 run, and 1 rbi. My thought was "Damn, He hit a HR!!"

DumpJerry
06-09-2005, 09:35 AM
After two failed attempts to bunt, Cliff ripped a single between First and Second, scoring Widger from Second. He made it to Second when the throw back to the infield hit the Umpire on the arm (would have made it to Sportscenter if this was a Flub, Spank or Red Sox game). Gooch sac fly moved him to Third. A Row single brought him home.

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 09:39 AM
I didn't get to watch the game last night. Damn Indy cable! Why was Politte batting for himself??? He only pitched 2/3 innings, so it's not like he batted so he could stay in, unless he made the last out of one inning and the first out of the next inning I guess.

The first thing I noticed when checking out the box score this morning was that he had 1 ab, 1 hit, 1 run, and 1 rbi. My thought was "Damn, He hit a HR!!"

Politte was hitting because it was a very close game at the time (5-4) and I believe that Ozzie wanted him to pitch the next inning. However, the flood gates open and the Sox had a comfortable lead by the end of the inning.

btw...it was an awesome slap bunt by Politte.

harwar
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM

It was pure pleasure watching him run the bases.He was so excited that he could barely stand still.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I have another question. I had the sound down so I missed what Hawk & DJ may have had to say about this: in the 7th inning, after El Duque came out of the game, first Widger then Cooper had very animated conversations with Duque. At one point, Cooper was making boxing moves with his fists up, and almost yelling at Duque -- not in an angry way, but just very animated! Did Hawk or DJ make any comments on what was going on? :?:

Tekijawa
06-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I have another question. I had the sound down so I missed what Hawk & DJ may have had to say about this: in the 7th inning, after El Duque came out of the game, first Widger then Cooper had very animated conversations with Duque. At one point, Cooper was making boxing moves with his fists up, and almost yelling at Duque -- not in an angry way, but just very animated! Did Hawk or DJ make any comments on what was going on? :?:

I saw that and I thought... "hmmmm they must be taking him out" especially the way they kept pointing out to the Bull pen... and low and behold that's what happened. I think Contreras knew he was crusing and in a game that close I would hope that he would want to stay in to "finish the job" but he had a high count at that time and although Marte lloked shaky Polite came in and shut them down and the O exploded the next inning... I don't think Hawk or DJ said anything about it.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Did Hawk or DJ make any comments on what was going on? :?:

Hawk just mentioned that both El Duque and Coop have histories of being very animated, and that their animated behaviors don't mean that they are utterly pissed off...

Baby Fisk
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Hawk just mentioned that both El Duque and Coop have histories of being very animated, and that their animated behaviors don't mean that they are utterly pissed off...
Thx fanatic & jawa. I figured it was likely just Widger and Coop propping up El Duque, but there may have been a more interesting take on it from the guys in the booth.

BTW, Hawk's most pointlessly amusing line of the night:

:hawk
"I used to like Bruce Springsteen. Now I don't."

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Thx fanatic & jawa. I figured it was likely just Widger and Coop propping up El Duque, but there may have been a more interesting take on it from the guys in the booth.

"I used to like Bruce Springsteen. Now I don't."But he still likes the E Street Band.:?:

mjharrison72
06-09-2005, 10:26 AM

"I used to like Bruce Springsteen. Now I don't."
But he LOOOOVES Neil Diamond. I couldn't stop laughing.

Iwritecode
06-09-2005, 11:02 AM

I don't think that was a slap bunt. He showed bunt and then pulled the bat back and made a full swing. He's a pitcher so it was a really bad swing though...

It was a routine ground right to where the secondbasemen used to be. :cool:

ondafarm
06-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't think that was a slap bunt. He showed bunt and then pulled the bat back and made a full swing. He's a pitcher so it was a really bad swing though...

The olde butcher boy play!! You gotta love it. Teams I played for used to do it when the team in the field revealed their defense a little too early.

I once saw it go for a two run triple. Men at first and second, second baseman cut for the first base bag and batter slapped an easy ground ball to were he had been. Second baseman reversed course and managed to dive for it but it richocheted off his glove and past the charging left fielder, rolled most of the way to the corner, throw from there to the plate nailed the batter trying to score an inside the parker.

The great thing about the butcher boy is that it means the defense won't be quite so hard charging the next time.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Ozzie was the king of the butcher boy. I'm glad someone in today's game knows how to do it still.

jackbrohamer
06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
It was pure pleasure watching him run the bases.He was so excited that he could barely stand still.

On the other hand, watching El Duque on the basepaths was terrifying.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
On the other hand, watching El Duque on the basepaths was terrifying.
Yeah! It looked like he was going to kill himself!

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Slap Bunt
Fake bunt, followed by quick hit into open area
Pivot around before pitcher releases ball
Show normal bunt FIRST
Bring bottom hand up to top hand
Bring bat back to rear shoulder (touch and hold) NO FURTHER
Snap the bat out - short compact swing - arm extension
Point shoulders downward where you want the ball to go

http://www.prnjusa.com/sb2005/sbcontent/bunt.html

That is what it looked like to me and the Colorado announcers. :wink:

Iwritecode
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM

That's the first time I've ever seen "slap bunt" defined. Now, that I've seen it, I guess I have to agree. :cool:

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 12:33 PM
That's the first time I've ever seen "slap bunt" defined. Now, that I've seen it, I guess I have to agree. :cool:

Cool. I used to do a lot of it in college. Sometimes it's called the "slug" and I'm guessing "butcher boy" is about the same thing. The whole idea is to create a hole in the middle infield by squaring to bunt and then hitting it past the pitcher through the hole. Unfortunately, if you miss the hole and hit it at the corners, sometimes people get hurt. My roomie in college (played third) got her front teeth knocked out that way.

ondafarm
06-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Citing a softball source? Baseball coaches always called it a 'slap hit' or 'the butcher boy play' ala Casey Stengel. I'd follow Casey over a softball source anyday. I think the softball guide is calling it a slap bunt because its required of bunters, just like the 'halfback pass' is required of halfbacks.