PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sox About to Go On a Run (ala '83)?

TomBradley72
06-09-2005, 07:42 AM
The offense is heating up, the starting rotation is stringing together quality starts, Cotts is emerging in the bullpen to complement Hemanson/Politte (a little worred about Marte), should be big crowds coming up for June/July home games. Are the Sox poised to make another exended run?

ondafarm
06-09-2005, 07:47 AM
The offense is heating up, the starting rotation is stringing together quality starts, Cotts is emerging in the bullpen to complement Hemanson/Politte (a little worred about Marte), should be big crowds coming up for June/July home games. Are the Sox poised to make another exended run?

Up until the All-Star break I see only one series, in Oakland, that should give the Sox any major difficulties. If the Sox are going to go on a run, now would be the time. Late August would be more substanstial (Twins/Yanks/Indians) but I'd take now till the All-Star break.

Kuzman
06-09-2005, 08:37 AM

yes youre right the offense is heating up, but consider the ballpark of where the sox played their last 3 games. After we play San Diego and Arizona, then we can talk heating up.

harwar
06-09-2005, 08:41 AM

Since i missed 90% of the 1983 season(at sea most of the time) i sure hope so.

Palehose13
06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
yes youre right the offense is heating up, but consider the ballpark of where the sox played their last 3 games. After we play San Diego and Arizona, then we can talk heating up.

San Diego is by no means a hitter's park. IMO, if the offense is rolling there, it's a safe bet to say that it is rolling.

DaveIsHere
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
I wouldnt really say the park had a lot to do with it, it is not like we scored all our runs via the long ball, in addition our pitchers kept the ball in the park for the most part too.

Irishsox1
06-09-2005, 09:31 AM
I doubt this team will go 22-9 in August and 22-6 in September like the 1983 Sox did, but you never know. I feel this team will just play great baseball all year, not a super hot team in June like the 2000 team, but more like high energy all year.

NonetheLoaiza
06-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I wouldnt really say the park had a lot to do with it, it is not like we scored all our runs via the long ball, in addition our pitchers kept the ball in the park for the most part too.

That's a good point. I liked what I saw in the way the Sox were hitting the ball, ie opposite field, moving the runners along, stringing together hits, etc. The offense sure looked like it was doing the job.

rmusacch
06-09-2005, 12:35 PM

A word of caution. After starting the season 35-5, the 1984 Tigers finished 104-58. Sox have not really hit an extended slump. I hope they don't but it is inevitable.

halfpricemonday
06-09-2005, 01:01 PM
A word of caution. After starting the season 35-5, the 1984 Tigers finished 104-58. Sox have not really hit an extended slump. I hope they don't but it is inevitable.

If the Sox go through the same sort of slump that those Tigers did, I'm be a happy man. If the Sox match the '84 Tigers' winning percentage after 40 games starting tomorrow, we'd end up the season with 99 wins. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Of course, I'd love a 110-120 win team even more.

ondafarm
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
San Diego is by no means a hitter's park. IMO, if the offense is rolling there, it's a safe bet to say that it is rolling.

It's by no means a home run hitter's park. It's great for line drive guys and singles/doubles hitters. Big outfield, lots of irregular angles.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
It's by no means a home run hitter's park. It's great for line drive guys and singles/doubles hitters. Big outfield, lots of irregular angles.
Exactly..and the success the Sox had during this past series against Colorado didn't involve getting too many balls up in that jetstream to carry. It was based mainly on base hits and gap shots. They took advantage of Colorado's big outfield.

The Sox can duplicate their success against Colorado by sticking to the game plan and hitting the gaps.

oeo
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Exactly..and the success the Sox had during this past series against Colorado didn't involve getting too many balls up in that jetstream to carry. It was based mainly on base hits and gap shots. They took advantage of Colorado's big outfield.

The Sox can duplicate their success against Colorado by sticking to the game plan and hitting the gaps.

That is exactly what I was going to say, they're playing "smartball" right now and you don't need a hitter's park to do that. I see no reason that they cannot keep it going through San Diego because they did rely on the homerun at all in Colorado.

kojak
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
My dream is for the Sox to play .700 ball this season.

Of Coors, we need to win 5 straight to get there (45-19), but once we do it is just a matter of doing a tad better than 2 out of 3- which we already know how to do.

You can probably count on one hand the number of teams in the last 95 years to play .700 baseball. The most recent probably being the 2001 Seattles.

kojak
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
According to Baseball-Reference, these are the teams who have played .700 ball for an entire season:

1906 Cubs 116-36 .763
1909 Pirates 110-42 .724
1954 Indians 111-43 .721
2001 Mariners 116-46 .716
1927 Yankees 110-44 .714
1931 Phillies 107-45 .704
1998 Yankees 114-48 .704
1907 Cubs 107-45 .704
1939 Yankees 106-45 .702

Pretty short list, eh? For the White Sox to get on it, they would have to finish 113-48. This assumes that they would not make up the May 28th rainout of the Rangers game.

ilsox7
06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
My dream is for the Sox to play .700 ball this season.

Of Coors, we need to win 5 straight to get there (45-19), but once we do it is just a matter of doing a tad better than 2 out of 3- which we already know how to do.

You can probably count on one hand the number of teams in the last 95 years to play .700 baseball. The most recent probably being the 2001 Seattles.

Uh, my dream is a World Series championship. I don't give a rat's ass what our winning percentage is. Look what that got the 2001 M's.

kojak
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Uh, my dream is a World Series championship. I don't give a rat's ass what our winning percentage is. Look what that got the 2001 M's.

I think that goes without saying. That is why we are all here, Copernicus.
But even more than that, I would like a season for the ages. To be a champion is the greatest, but it is even greater to be among the Greatest of All Time. That is why it's a dream....

MERPER
06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
A run right now is definitely possible... just last night I had a dream that we won 18 in a row beginning with the 3-game sweep of the Rockies... all 3 pitching matchups in SD favor the Sox and then we go home for 12 straight... 3 each with Arizona, LA, KC and the Cubs

Easy way to remain red hot and distance ourselves a bit

kojak
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Boy, 55-19! I like the way you dream!!

Assuming we would take the last 2 games in Detroit, we would finish with a 23-3 record in June. Wouldn't that be something!?! Probably some king of record...

ilsox7
06-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Keep winning each series. That's the key. As long as we go to the playoffs, the record doesn't matter. Again, see the 2001 Mariners. I think a lot of people around here (no one specifically) are getting too caught up in each and every decision on who to play and how to manage each game. Days off in June and July, while it may cost us a game here or there, will help us much, much more in August and September.

kojak
06-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Keep winning each series. That's the key. As long as we go to the playoffs, the record doesn't matter. Again, see the 2001 Mariners. I think a lot of people around here (no one specifically) are getting too caught up in each and every decision on who to play and how to manage each game. Days off in June and July, while it may cost us a game here or there, will help us much, much more in August and September.

I totally agree. I like the way Ozzie is managing the lineup, giving players a day off before or after a scheduled off day. Of Coors, winning first and second games of series makes it easier to do, I reckon...

ilsox7
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I totally agree. I like the way Ozzie is managing the lineup, giving players a day off before or after a scheduled off day. Of Coors, winning first and second games of series makes it easier to do, I reckon...

Exactly. Sweeps sure are nice, but at this point in the year, healthy, fresh players are nicer. It will really pay off in the Fall.

Realist
06-09-2005, 02:30 PM

You smart. :redneck

I told my buddy as we rode the escalator up to the concourse on opening day that this Sox team is capable of putting together 10 game winning streaks while at the same time keeping their losing streaks down to 3 or 4 games. With a solid starting 5 and a deep bullpen, and the ability to eek out games offensively while not necessarily swinging hot bats, losing streaks are kept to a minimum. With the solid pitching and a bunch of hot bats, big winning streaks are born. Throw in the tough mental character of the players Kenny's assembled and Ozzie's clubhouse zeitgeist, and I really don't see this team collapsing.

The Sox are capable of beating any style of team on any given day and they're proving it with a 16-3-2 record in series so far.

SoxWillWin
06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
but consider the ballpark of where the sox played their last 3 games. .

I would like to say I agree with you, but Coors had nothing to do with our offensive numbers in that series, we scored 26 runs and IIRC only 5 were from Homeruns. The offensive production is heating up.

SoxWillWin
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM

I think inevitable is a strong word to use in that statement. Yes, based on previous seasons it would seem an extended slump would be coming, OTOH, this is a completely different set of circumstances. Different team, different style of play. There's just no way to tell. I think it's better to say it this way

"Sox have not really hit an extended slump. I hope they don't but it is likely based on past performance"

IMHO

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2005, 10:14 AM
The one thing that stops a team from extended slumps is pitching. Even if they get a few bad outings, there's no way they're going to get 5 in a row. One of the five will step up with a good performance. I'd be surprised if they have a long losing streak, barring injury, of course. And I think we'll see several winning streaks of 6+ games.

As long as I can remember, the Sox always turn it on in June. I have no idea why, but other longtime fans will confirm this. The Sox will pad their lead by 3+ games by the break.

MIgrenade
06-10-2005, 01:11 PM

If anything, Petco should help the Sox. It's good for the pitchers and the Sox don't hit homers much anyway.
The Sox are due for a nice streak.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I consider 40-19 a hot streak. I've heard Hawk say countless times. Win each series. Every so often, you will lose two of three, but you didn't get swept. You may sweep a series or two, but the key is to win each series. To date, the Sox have lost two series. Oakland and Texas. Thus 40-19. I'll be happy with 105. 93 in the regular season, and twelve more in October.

South Side
06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I consider 40-19 a hot streak. I've heard Hawk say countless times. Win each series. Every so often, you will lose two of three, but you didn't get swept. You may sweep a series or two, but the key is to win each series. To date, the Sox have lost two series. Oakland and Texas. Thus 40-19. I'll be happy with 105. 93 in the regular season, and twelve more in October.

3, you missed Tampa Bay.