PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up Comment By KW

Realist
06-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Open-door policy (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050608soxbits,1,7213872.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

With the July 31 trading deadline approaching, general manager Ken Williams said his players can clarify their status merely by asking him.

"As a player, I wasn't dealt with toward the end with great honesty and I promised myself our players don't have to guess what's on our minds," Williams said. "If there's a rumor of some sort, all they have to do is ask.

"I might not give them the particulars, such as 'You're on the trade market, and here are the particulars.' But 'I'm looking at possibilities, here's why.'"

This policy is pure class. All teams should treat their players like this. I already liked KW before I read this. My respect for him has grown leaps and bounds now.

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I love that comment, just a good policy all bosses should consider.

Iguana775
06-09-2005, 08:49 AM
LOL. i remember a time when everyone hated KW.

Brian26
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
KW has always been stand-up.

kevingrt
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
KW has to put this policy to place to. I don't want to see anyone go the way Maggs went last year. I know this is a totally different situation, but I don't like when former players bash the organization, general manager, or team. I have faith that KW can stick by his words though and be straight-forward with his current players.

VivaOzzie
06-09-2005, 11:07 AM
40-19 = Good Karma

KW is doing things right & with class. Step 1 was making a statement by not dealing with BorASS. After this, I only expect better things to come!

Jurr
06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
40-19 = Good Karma

KW is doing things right & with class. Step 1 was making a statement by not dealing with BorASS. After this, I only expect better things to come!
Not meaning to hijack, but after this past draft, don't you think players aren't going to want to be represented by Boras any longer? Nobody wants to negotiate with him.

Randar68
06-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Not meaning to hijack, but after this past draft, don't you think players aren't going to want to be represented by Boras any longer? Nobody wants to negotiate with him.

Boras has a good relationship with a few high-payroll teams that often win or are perceived as good teams to play for. Heck, draft-eligible players can sign on with Boras and then assure themselves of not going to the crappiest teams because those teams won't pony-up, so they fall to the Cubs, Rangers, Yanks, Mets, RedSox, etc.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Boras has a good relationship with a few high-payroll teams that often win or are perceived as good teams to play for. Heck, draft-eligible players can sign on with Boras and then assure themselves of not going to the crappiest teams because those teams won't pony-up, so they fall to the Cubs, Rangers, Yanks, Mets, RedSox, etc.
Good point. I love the enlightenment.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Jurr:

Maybe I missed something but teams are still signing his clients aren't they? Especially his free agents.

Until that changes, Boras will continue to hold a big stick.

Lip

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Jurr:

Maybe I missed something but teams are still signing his clients aren't they? Especially his free agents.

Until that changes, Boras will continue to hold a big stick.

Lip

Actually, I believe Jurr was referring to his draft clients. Some of them have gotten big $$$, some have not fared so well, and in general, IIRC, those that have followed his hard-line stance, held out, and gone back into the draft have not done all that well. These kids have offset some potential upfront earnings against long-term losses from retarding their development via sitting out or playing in independent leagues.

You are correct as far as his free agent clients go.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Actually, I believe Jurr was referring to his draft clients. Some of them have gotten big $$$, some have not fared so well, and in general, IIRC, those that have followed his hard-line stance, held out, and gone back into the draft have not done all that well. These kids have offset some potential upfront earnings against long-term losses from retarding their development via sitting out or playing in independent leagues.

You are correct as far as his free agent clients go.
Yeah. I was talking about his amateur clients. Of course, when you represent superstars like A-Rod, Beltran, and Joltin' Joe Crede, you're going to have some business thrown your way.

shoota
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Open-door policy (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050608soxbits,1,7213872.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

This policy is pure class. All teams should treat their players like this. I already liked KW before I read this. My respect for him has grown leaps and bounds now.

I agree, this is a classy philosophy for KW to have. But I don't think it's anything new.

When there were rumors in 2001 that David Wells might be traded, KW went to Wells and told him that he was exploring trade opportunities with him. Wells said no general manager of his had ever been so honest with him about being traded, and Wells, being the class act he is, returned the favor to KW. Wells told KW that he better trade him soon while he can still get something for him, since he believed his back was going to fail soon. As we all know, Wells's back finally broke down soon after that conversation, he had surgery, and wasn't traded.

I'm glad Wells wasn't traded right before injury though, since KW might have earned a reputation of trading injured players, especially right after the Sirotka Shouldergate.

Realist
06-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I agree, this is a classy philosophy for KW to have. But I don't think it's anything new.

When there were rumors in 2001 that David Wells might be traded, KW went to Wells and told him that he was exploring trade opportunities with him. Wells said no general manager of his had ever been so honest with him about being traded, and Wells, being the class act he is, returned the favor to KW. Wells told KW that he better trade him soon while he can still get something for him, since he believed his back was going to fail soon. As we all know, Wells's back finally broke down soon after that conversation, he had surgery, and wasn't traded.

I'm glad Wells wasn't traded right before injury though, since KW might have earned a reputation of trading injured players, especially right after the Sirotka Shouldergate.

Wells also offered to re-sign with the White Sox. He offered to let Kenny draw up an incentive laden plan because he felt that he owed Kenny a bunch more starts. Even though the contract never worked out and Wells ended up leaving the Sox, the groundwork and positive reputation was laid down that I believe payed off in some of the recent free agent signings. It sure can't hurt.

mccoydp
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah. I was talking about his amateur clients. Of course, when you represent superstars like A-Rod, Beltran, and Joltin' Joe Crede, you're going to have some business thrown your way.

:crede

"I'm ready to be Knighted!"

batmanZoSo
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
I've got no beef with KW. I like the way he treats the players, with honesty and forthrightness (and the fans and media the same way), I think he says the right things, he's always doing whatever is in his resources to win with this team and his number one goal as he's stated emphatically, is to win a World Series. Schueler sat on his laurels and drafted crappy player after crappy player, crippling our farm system for years to come and at the same time felt so highly about said crappy prospects that he refused to use them as a means to acquire major leaguers that could've gotten us to the World Series. At the very least, appreciate KW over his predecessor.

DarkCloudDropo
06-10-2005, 01:46 PM
My 2 cents.

This is still the same guy who went crazy in the clubhouse and made a trade where he didn't know who he was getting plus a couple pretty bad moves. So, let's not get too carried away with his sudden greatness just because we're beating the crap out of everyone right now.

I will say I think he's still learning as he's going and I'm certainly happy with the way things have come together this season. I think he's getting better and smarter all the time and I'm glad he's ours.

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
:hawk
"i luuuuuuuv kenny williams"