PDA

View Full Version : KW authorized to increase payroll

Vince
06-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Caught this nugget in the Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050608soxbrite,1,6885057.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines):

In assessing the trade market, Williams said he had the authorization to increase the Sox's player payroll, which is slightly above $75 million.

"If there's a special player who comes available and we see him as a fit, and [club Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf is happy about our start as well as anyone, we're not going to be afraid to go down those roads," Williams said.

Williams added there are an undisclosed number of minor-league players he wouldn't trade but said he has dealt once-untouchable players before.

"Ultimately, we want to go to the playoffs, do well and go to the World Series," Williams said. "If there's a special case here or there, sometimes you have to do uncomfortable things."

I don't want this to turn into a trade rumor thread, I just think it's nice to know that when/if a deal is made the money to do it will be there.

jabrch
06-09-2005, 01:37 AM
KW said this before the season started too. So much for the people who kept saying JR wasn't raising payroll, huh?

FarWestChicago
06-09-2005, 01:39 AM
KW said this before the season started too. So much for the people who kept saying JR wasn't raising payroll, huh?Oh, Hangar will bitch that the payroll is still less than the Skanks and any decent owner interested in competing would just outspend King George and be done with it. :D:

jabrch
06-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Oh, Hangar will bitch that the payroll is still less than the Skanks and any decent owner interested in competing would just outspend King George and be done with it. :D:

LOL

Chicago83
06-09-2005, 03:11 AM
If he's gonna raise the payroll, now is the time. Get that big player to push this team over the edge. I get excited just thinkink about it.

Falstaff
06-09-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm thinking with Steinbrenner having fits (and the Crankees have been pretty generous to the Sox last few years) that NOW is the time to put all the Crede bashers to sleep, and get the big stud A-Rod. 3rd is about the only question mark on the team now, Steiny is in his cups these days, and we are flush. How bout it Jerry? :gulp:

MUsoxfan
06-09-2005, 03:36 AM
I'm thinking with Steinbrenner having fits (and the Crankees have been pretty generous to the Sox last few years) that NOW is the time to put all the Crede bashers to sleep, and get the big stud A-Rod. 3rd is about the only question mark on the team now, Steiny is in his cups these days, and we are flush. How bout it Jerry? :gulp:

Teal or bright pink? I'm hoping for teal

TheOldRoman
06-09-2005, 03:38 AM
As long as Steinbrenner owns the team, the Yankees will NEVER dump top rate talent. Why would they dump his salary? He has a huge contract, but he is one of the few Yankees who is actually producing now. The Yankees are a mess. They have lots of horrible longterm contracts for over the hill players, and every season it gets worse. They are really dumb, and the Yankees are going to get worse over the next few years. Their payroll is finally about tapped at $200mil. They needed a CF this year, but let Beltran (who IMO is the next Willie Mays) go to the Mets because they didnt have the money for him and Johnson. The horrible contracts will last several more years. They also have no farm system because of poor trades in the past. They cant sign top talent, and they cant trade for it either. The Yankees are a sinking ship until some of their horrible contracts expire, and A-Rod will be going down with the ship.
Yankees fans are not stooges like Cubs fans. The Yankees suck, but when the payroll is $200mil, there is hope the team will earn its salary eventually. Yankees fans would not stand by and attend games after their owner dumped his best player to save some money. They wouldn't say "we got Jerry Hairston Jr, he is just what the team needs." I have read about horrible attendance in the 80s and Steinbrenner saying a team couldnt draw in Yankee Stadium. He threatened to move the Yankees to NJ. The Yankees sucked those years. The fans have shown before that they dont put up with crap.
As for A-Rod on the Sox, they tried for that before. Boras got in the way. A-Rod is one of the most talented players in the game, but he is a first rate ass-clown. I think he is selfish, and the Sox would have to give up a king's ransom to get him even if he did become available. There is no way he goes anywhere, let alone the Sox.

Falstaff
06-09-2005, 03:43 AM
regarding the ARod idea: OK, you are right and I am wrong. It is just kind of fun to imagine spending Uncle Jerry's (our) money.

TheOldRoman
06-09-2005, 03:48 AM
regarding the ARod idea: OK, you are right and I am wrong. It is just kind of fun to imagine spending Uncle Jerry's (our) money.
I agree, but there are MUCH better ways to spend it than on A-Rod.

MUsoxfan
06-09-2005, 03:49 AM

Well.....bright pink it was.....

DSpivack
06-09-2005, 07:35 AM
If he's gonna raise the payroll, now is the time. Get that big player to push this team over the edge. I get excited just thinkink about it.

over what edge? they're 40-19.

Mark'sBrokenFoot
06-09-2005, 08:18 AM
over what edge? they're 40-19.

The "too much talent to lose" edge. It never hurts to get better.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-09-2005, 08:52 AM

While I agree in theory, there's one thing to consider (get ready for the cliche') - chemistry. It's a tough balance and if the offense continues to pick up steam, the Sox could be this year's Red Sox. My fear with a "talent" trade is with the $$ that talent demands, you could get the hierarchal feeling in the clubhouse. I'm sure Ozzie wouldn't allow it, but that gives me more concern than hope.

DarkCloudDropo
06-09-2005, 09:01 AM

I disagree. Sometimes it can hurt a great deal. Randy Johnson would have hurt a lot! I'm sure there are other examples. Ask the Yankees what the "too much talent to lose" theory can do to you. Sometimes you get better because of players like Tadahito. Not too many considered him much of an addition as i recall.

Businesses go under all the time by trying to expand to get bigger and better. I think the Sox have proven so far that it's the right mix of players that's important, not just blowing money on the highest priced guys.

I'd say be careful what you ask for.

34 Inch Stick
06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
I'd settle for Tom Gordon but then again I have never been greedy.

elrod
06-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure where I'd add to the lineup, especially now that the heart of the order is really coming around. The biggest strugglers - Uribe and Crede - are absolutely critical in the field. AJ falls into that category to a lesser degree. Is there another 3B has good in the field but a better hitter, but not a huge ego? Let's look at the 3B for the bad teams and see who might be available:

Eric Chavez: He's starting to heat up finally, but he doesn't seem thrilled about playing for the team on the East Coast of the state of Illinois. Always possible, I suppose.

Edgardo Alfonzo: I've also been a big fan of his, and now he's hitting like a stud out in SF.

Morgan Ensberg: Lots of power and good average in Houston

Joe Randa: Hitting .297 and very solid in the field. Has 8 HRs, just like Crede. Seems like a good team guy, too.

Beltre: Nope

And that's about it for 3B on crappy teams that are not in our division. Chavez, Alfonzo, Ensberg and Randa. I don't know anything about their contracts, but they are the best options if a trade is in the works.

No reason to look at SS, in my opinion, because Uribe holds his own defensively so well. The only possibly available SS hitting better than Uribe is Julio Lugo in TB. Vizquel is a higher average and might be a great addition. That's about it.

So if you're thinking about trading for someone on the left side of the infield, these are the choices.

infohawk
06-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I agree, but there are MUCH better ways to spend it than on A-Rod.

I don't know his health status right now, but I wouldn't mind getting Tom Gordon again. That curveball is nasty. Of course, assuming he is healthy.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Oh, Hangar will bitch that the payroll is still less than the Skanks and any decent owner interested in competing would just outspend King George and be done with it. :D:And since they COULD HAVE spent even more, it's actually a payroll cut.:rolleyes:

gobears1987
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
We shouldn't make a trade just for the sake of spending money. Let's look at the logic here. We should make a trade to fill holes in the team. I agree that we may want to improve the left side of the infield, but I urge caution here. Uribe and Crede have been important with the glove work. I'm not a huge Crede fan, but it would take a guy hitting around .300 for me to want to get rid of the glove. As for Uribe, he's a streaky hitter. Once he gets hot he will be unstoppable. Our OF is solid with 4 GREAT people we can plug in there anyday. We are fine at 2B with Willie as a viable backup. 1B we are fine, and it will be even better when Gload gets back. Catcher is perfect. AJ is awesome and Widger has been unbelievable. Plus they call good games and work well with pitchers, and AJ is NO cancer. The starting 5 are amazing. I do believe there is one area that does need help through a trade though. That is the pen. Shingo and Vizcaino aren't living up to expectations. We have only 4 viable arms in the pen. Hermanson, Cotts, and Politte have been nothing short of amazing. Marte may draw criticism, but look at his low ERA. I admit he may walk too many people, but he does a fairly good job most of the time. We could use another southpaw in the pen. We don't need closers, but maybe another middle-reliever or long-reliever could help.

The Wall
06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't know his health status right now, but I wouldn't mind getting Tom Gordon again. That curveball is nasty. Of course, assuming he is healthy.

He pitched a lot of innings last year and early this year and might be worn out. I think KW has the right idea when building the bullpen. Scrubs need to learn from KW on building a bullpen.

Flight #24
06-09-2005, 10:29 AM
And since they COULD HAVE spent even more, it's actually a payroll cut.:rolleyes:

http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/homer/homerpoint.gif
"It's funny coz it's true!"

skottyj242
06-09-2005, 11:10 AM

I know I've been guilty of this before but I think people should really think before they type.

I'm happy that KW gets to increase the payroll and I hope he goes out and gets us a stud that puts the nail in the Twins coffin. I just hope it's not a Charles Johnson type player (ala 2000), or Robbie Alomar again. I also saw another thread here talking about a Crazy Carl trade, would KW trade Carl just to trade for him again?

mdep524
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
As for Uribe, he's a streaky hitter. He will get hot soon and when he does he will be unhittable. :?:

Uribe 4 Closer!

Jurr
06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
:?:

Uribe 4 Closer!
:rolling: Ohhhhhhhh....I can't take the laughings!!!