PDA

View Full Version : Dave Stewart

duke of dorwood
11-14-2001, 11:35 AM
He was on the radio . Resigned from Blue Jays as asst GM. Says he's doing it to call attn. to minority issues in management.

FarWestChicago
11-14-2001, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the Jays are going to announce they hired Billy Beane's director of scouting as their GM. Stewart wasn't too happy about being passed over.

Paulwny
11-14-2001, 12:05 PM
Here's a link

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam011114/mlb_jays2-sun.html

duke of dorwood
11-14-2001, 12:28 PM
On the radio he sounded offended that he wasn't given it outright and was mad they were interviewing some experienced GM's. I can't fault Toronto for wanting an experienced guy. They are a veteran team that needs fine tuning.

kermittheefrog
11-14-2001, 03:08 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that he was asked to be the pitching coach for a while I would say he might be overreacting. Obviously they weren't serious about him in the front office because they asked him to step out and do something else.

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 10:58 AM
Comments by KW:

Ken Williams, a one-time Blue Jay and the Chicago White Sox GM, remains the only minority currently holding that rank in Major League Baseball.

But Williams, a close friend of Stewart's, felt his friend's reaction should be taken in the context of what had just occurred.

"I feel for Dave because this was his dream," Williams said from Chicago. "It was his next mountain to climb and now evidently he feels the obstacles are too plentiful.

"I think some understanding has to (be taken into account) in that much of what he said came as an emotional reaction to what, in his eyes, was a disappointing action. I would urge that other club owners not remove him from their potential GM candidacy lists because he has a lot to offer to the game of baseball."

Williams, who just completed his first year as White Sox GM, said he could not relate to the frustration Stewart was feeling because he was quite content in the player development job he had prior to his promotion.

"Progress has been made and that's a fact," Williams said. "Initiatives are in place and I have first-hand knowledge of the commissioner's office commitment to equal opportunity."

Pete Ward
11-15-2001, 04:51 PM
Hey Doug Melvin didnt get the Tort GM spot either...

Discrimination against Canadians! Melvin is Canadian.

Sounds like another case of...

YOU OWE ME SOMETHING

JoeBatters
11-16-2001, 11:07 AM
Yeah , this guy has been a pain in the ass for years ! What was that comment about a jock strap long ago ?

FarWestChicago
11-16-2001, 11:10 AM
Welcome to WSI, JB. I see you live where most of us Sox fans do. :smile:

Paulwny
11-16-2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Welcome to WSI, WASP. I see you live where most of us Sox fans do. :smile:

LOL !!!!!!!!! You mean ALL of us sox fans

JoeBatters
11-16-2001, 11:32 AM
Well thank you " FarwestChicago " . Hell ! Yes , I thought i recognized you guys ! Stop by and see me later we'll have a few beers !

RedPinStripes
11-17-2001, 07:14 AM
I haven't made it to hell yet. I'm still behind the scoreboard.

Jerry_Manuel
11-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
I haven't made it to hell yet. I'm still behind the scoreboard.

Do you help the guys who set off the fireworks after a homer? r do you just watch?

Silly question from a silly guy.