PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod fastest player to 400 HR

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Wow, 400 HR's and he's not even 30 until July...

MILWAUKEE -- Alex Rodriguez became the youngest player to hit 400 home runs in his career, belting a pair against the Brewers on Wednesday night at Miller Park. A-Rod, who hadn't homered or driven in an run since May 26 (11 games), drilled No. 399 in the first inning, taking left-hander Chris Capuano deep for a two-run shot to left field on a 3-1 pitch.

That homer tied A-Rod with Al Kaline and Andres Galarraga for 40th place on the all-time list. It also made Rodriguez the youngest hitter to reach 399 homers, surpassing his former Mariners teammate, Ken Griffey Jr.

In the eighth, Rodriguez added a solo shot against southpaw Jorge De La Rosa, crushing a 2-2 pitch over the right-field wall. His 19 homers this season lead the Majors.

Rodriguez is the 40th player in Major League history to hit 400 home runs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050608&content_id=1082231&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Irishsox1
06-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Fitting that A-Rods 400th homerun came when the Yankees were up 10 to 3 in the 8th. The guy seems to only hit meaningless homeruns.

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 01:51 AM
I can't stand the Yanks, but A-Rod is the real deal. He's a HOF'er, and derserves the accolades.

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 02:10 AM
sounds familiar....Griffey perhaps?

SomebodyToldMe
06-09-2005, 02:16 AM
A-Rod has been, and still is, my favorite baseball player. The man is amazing. I said when he got to 100 homers that he was gonna end up being the all-time home run leader. And I still believe that.

The man is the best player in the game, IMO.

nasox
06-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Does anyone think he ever dabbled in roids?

Chicago83
06-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Fitting that A-Rods 400th homerun came when the Yankees were up 10 to 3 in the 8th. The guy seems to only hit meaningless homeruns.

Very good point. In fact their whole team seems to turn it on when it doesn't matter and win those 12-3 games then lose 2-0 the next night. Sounds like the '04 White Sox.

DarkCloudDropo
06-09-2005, 09:15 AM

Oh? Like the meaningful one Frank hit last night?

Here's an idea.Do a study of Arod's homeruns then compare him to other sluggers first. THEN tell us how insignificant he really is.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Not that they are the most credible sources, but several weeks ago ESPN's Mike & Mike read some stats that said the all-time career HR leaders all hit more home runs in their 30s than in their 20s. If Rodriguez just matched his pre-30 HR totals after he turns 30, he'd have 800 for his career. Beyond being "obvious," think about just how many homers that is. IMHO, the only things that could keep him from reaching that milestone would be if he decided to retire early instead of deal with the circus that is New York or a significant recurring injury. Think about this - he's 2 good seasons or 3 bad seasons (by his standards) away from certain first-ballot HOF numbers. Plus, he plays Gold Glove-caliber defense at shortstop and only moved to third base to accommodate Mr. Yankee himself.

I'd certainly welcome him on the Sox.

I'm not trying to kiss his arse, but the fact that the Rangers didn't win with him is not his fault (look at his numbers). The Rangers pitching was terrible! Same thing with the Yankees since he's been with them. Also, it wasn't his astronomical contract that hamstrung the Rangers - it was Chan Ho Park's contract! A-Rod was the only Ranger with a massive multi-year deal that another team would accept. If Tom Hicks could have traded Chan Ho Park and cash for a warm bucket of spit, A-Rod still would be Ranger.

Putting A-Rod on the 2005 White Sox - with their starting pitching - would guarantee a White Sox World Series winner.

Irishsox1
06-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Here's an idea.Do a study of Arod's homeruns then compare him to other sluggers first. THEN tell us how insignificant he really is.

Don't get me wrong, given the Yankees pitching, every A-Rod homer is needed. It's just that it SEEMS that he only hits meaningless homeruns. Like when he was with Texas and he hit all those homeruns, but they were in last place. Or, last year in the playoffs against Boston in games 4, 5, 6 & 7 when A-Rod went 2 for 17 with 2 RBI's. When they really needed his power, it wasn't there. However, they couldn't have even got to the playoffs without his power. Like I said it SEEMS like he only hit meaningless homeruns.

balke
06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Don't get me wrong, given the Yankees pitching, every A-Rod homer is needed. It's just that it SEEMS that he only hits meaningless homeruns. Like when he was with Texas and he hit all those homeruns, but they were in last place. Or, last year in the playoffs against Boston in games 4, 5, 6 & 7 when A-Rod went 2 for 17 with 2 RBI's. When they really needed his power, it wasn't there. However, they couldn't have even got to the playoffs without his power. Like I said it SEEMS like he only hit meaningless homeruns.

I think the Sox understand, and some other "Bad" organizations, that one player can't make a team. What good is even a Johan Santana, if all your other pitchers are .500 or below? A-rod could hit 4 Hr's in a game, and that's only 4 runs. He's great, but swallowing up a (quarter or close to it) of a team's salary that needs a 24 other guys on the roster doesn't really help teams win.

Mickster
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I think the Sox understand, and some other "Bad" organizations, that one player can't make a team. What good is even a Johan Santana, if all your other pitchers are .500 or below? A-rod could hit 4 Hr's in a game, and that's only 4 runs. He's great, but swallowing up a (quarter or close to it) of a team's salary that needs a 24 other guys on the roster doesn't really help teams win.

ARod and his $16M salary (Yankee portion) is only 7% of the entire Yankee salary.

balke
06-09-2005, 12:29 PM
ARod and his $16M salary (Yankee portion) is only 7% of the entire Yankee salary.

Not really talking about the Yankees, but the average team. I thought he was making 20 mil, forgot he renogotiated a bit during his trade. 16 mil is still a lot to be paying one player, especially when he contributes to the swollen luxury tax. A-Rod is far from being the Yankees problem, their problem is they are giving Brown and Giambi similar money to do nothing, while overpaying the majority of their ever aging veterans and mediocre pitching staff. I'm still very glad we aren't paying Colon or Maggs 15 mil, regardless of their individual successes

MisterB
06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Not really talking about the Yankees, but the average team. I thought he was making 20 mil, forgot he renogotiated a bit during his trade. 16 mil is still a lot to be paying one player, especially when he contributes to the swollen luxury tax. A-Rod is far from being the Yankees problem, their problem is they are giving Brown and Giambi similar money to do nothing, while overpaying the majority of their ever aging veterans and mediocre pitching staff. I'm still very glad we aren't paying Colon or Maggs 15 mil, regardless of their individual successes

Rodriguez is stll making $20M a year - the Yanks are paying $16M and the Rangers $4M.

1951Campbell
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
sounds familiar....Griffey perhaps?

Say what you will about A-Rod, but at least he's not landing on the DL for about 70 games every season.

SomebodyToldMe
06-09-2005, 02:39 PM
It's just that it SEEMS that he only hits meaningless homeruns. Like when he was with Texas and he hit all those homeruns, but they were in last place.

He couldn't do everything else on that team. Look, the guy was on a last place team, and he STILL played every game like they were in it. The man gets paid mad bucks to be the best, and quite frankly, he is. The man does what he's supposed to do. Defense, offense, everything.

He's already a HOF'er.

SomebodyToldMe
06-09-2005, 02:40 PM

Great post! I'm just surprised you didn't get flamed at all because no one is allowed to talk bad about Frank here. I'm not even sure if that should be in teal.

balke
06-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Great post! I'm just surprised you didn't get flamed at all because no one is allowed to talk bad about Frank here. I'm not even sure if that should be in teal.

Most people aren't allowed to complain about a guy who hits on pace for 42 hr's, and avgs. over .300 making under 10 mil because it makes them look stupid. Mostly they are stopped for their own protection. :wink:

SomebodyToldMe
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Mostly they are stopped for their own protection. :wink:

That made me laugh. I get ya though. I was just saying that there are like untouchables on this board.

TaylorStSox
06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Besides Griffey, in his prime, and Bonds, he's the greatest player most of us will ever see. His numbers are already coming close to Frank's and he's not even 30 yet. Plus, he plays stellar D and does all this from the right side of the plate. He's a joy to watch.

Just saying ARod and steroids in the same sentence is a joke IMO.

DarkCloudDropo
06-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Understand I certainly wasn't bashing Frank. I was just making a point.

Chisox003
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Does anyone think he ever dabbled in roids?

Nope, not a chance.

Hes a freak of nature, and I've read many a time about his work ethic

He deserves all his success and seems like a classy player, something professional sports needs more of....It's ashame that hes not appreciated more, especially in his own city

If anybody gets to Hank, I hope it's him and pujols and not that cheating piece of **** in San Fran...

A Rod :gulp:

maurice
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
By all accounts, ARod is a workout warrior. Rowand + more natural talent. No steroids required.

balke
06-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I had a pipedream New York would turn on A-rod and send him here last offseason. 16 mil sucks, but its a lot better than 15 mil for Maggs. Frank Konerko and A-rod in the middle of the order, with some position players around them sounded pretty nice.

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Say what you will about A-Rod, but at least he's not landing on the DL for about 70 games every season.
obviously i was referring to how everybody said these same things about griffey when he was at that point, not once did i mention injuries bc everyone knows how hes been on the dl quite a bit and that a-rod is always healthy. its more of a, "is a-rod gonna fall victim to griffey syndrom."

seanpmurphy
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
In regard to Frank's homer, he was pinch-hitting. So it's not like he did absolutely nothing the entire game, and then contributed when the fate of the Rockies was already sealed.

I know it was in Colorado, but seeing Frank blast one approx. 450 feet was great. I think Crede's was even about 420.